• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Harrison responds to eSRAM sze, "Clearly not the case, look at Forza 5"

chadskin

Directly from the man itself. It has to be some sort of joke. Reading his joke of a site (with adblock, because fuck giving him money lol) shows that he's giving himself a deadline by saying this huge update with "128mb" of eSRAM and 50% boost coming this year.

So once this year is up, it'll be impossible for him to spin it. It really is hilarious.

I just read his blog entry and I'm ... speechless. Wow. I actually feel sorry for him.

This argument...

Guys, have you seen Powerstar golf? Totally running at 1080p.

I'm sure the xbone could output PacMan at 1080 native also...
This argument does not magically invalidate the complaints about the games that don't run at 1080.

Especially when the PS4 does.

You leave Powerstar Golf out of this! It's an awesome game. LOL

w00zey

Obviously we go round and round and obviously the ps4 is more powerful (and I'm damn happy I got one), what I can't figure out for the life of me though is why my copy of F5 doesn't look like half of what is posted on the right?Surely doesn't have crowd pop-in like that and the prague buildings look nothing like that blury mess.

Full HD GAF is best GAF.

gaf06qpx.png

Fnord

i would make the argument that being Xbone vs PS3...that Forza 5 should be visually superior in EVERY way to GT6...

I'm not sure the car models in Forza will ever reach the insane levels of detail as the car models in Gran Turismo. Polyphony are obsessive about such things. Turn 10 wants good looking models, but doesn't have that (pardon the pun) drive. IIRC, T10 outsources their car models (at least some of them). I doubt we'll ever see individual screws modeled in a Forza, for instance. It's Kaz's genius and his curse.

derFeef

I'm not sure the car models in Forza will ever reach the insane levels of detail as the car models in Gran Turismo. Polyphony are obsessive about such things. Turn 10 wants good looking models, but doesn't have that (pardon the pun) drive. IIRC, T10 outsources their car models (at least some of them). I doubt we'll ever see individual screws modeled in a Forza, for instance. It's Kaz's genius and his curse.

You have not really researched, have you.

Metfanant

obviously now it becomes clear and Phil Harrison is misterX's insider...he knows about the 128MB of ESRAM in the Xbone that will be turned on later this year along with the "stereo" drivers replacing the "mono" drivers....so in that case YES, size is not the issue...

KageMaru

This comment is as useless as Kojima's comment regarding resolution. People can make all the claims they want but it's all pointless without any context. Forza 5 looks great, but we all know the performance profile of one game doesn't translate to all games.

Hopefully in a couple years this focus on resolution will simmer down so they can focus on software. They aren't going to win, or even keep up, in the performance race. So they should quit trying and concentrate on producing attractive software to make up for the difference. People loved the ps2 because of the software library regardless of it being much weaker than the Xbox. That is the best route they can take IMO.

I just read his blog entry and I'm ... speechless. Wow. I actually feel sorry for him.

why do you feel sorry for him? Dude is a jackass with an unhealthy hate for Neogaf(really any website that says anything positive about Sony and the ps4) and Sony to the point that he is making shit up and has some severely ignorant people to eat up every word he says, both his and his made up insider.

Dude is a pathetic.

You have not really researched, have you.

The whole GT vs Forza thing needs to be kept out of this thread. There is a thread for that. As for responding directly to you, both companies scan their cars. But their workflows aren't the same. Turn 10 produces more cars, PD produces more accurate cars. Honestly, I'd take the former, but I just wanted to point out that the poster you quoted is correct.

Metfanant

why do you feel sorry for him? Dude is a jackass with an unhealthy hate for Neogaf and Sony to the point that he is making shit up and has some severely ignorant people to eat up every word he says, both his and his made up insider.

Dude is a pathetic dbag.

i used to believe that he and his "insider" were one and the same..BUT...

...ive almost started believing that he (misterX) is just a desperate fanboy (like the readers/commenters of his blog) that has been duped by someone posing as an "insider." They are so desperate to believe that the Xbone is more powerful that they buy everything said "insider" says

This Forza 5?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-23-digital-foundry-vs-forza-motorsport-5

Or this Forza 5?

NzQy9ml.jpg

Nothing good can come of statements like this. They just need to shut the hell up about stuff like this and not even respond to these things. It only makes them look bad. Just ignore it, put out your games. If you have compelling games people might still buy your system, but don't get into a fight you can't win.

This is damning. I was at the taping for that show and was very impressed with the look of the game. I had no interest in sim racers, but thought it was a great showcase for the Xbone. Forward to last week at the Microsoft store...I couldn't put my finger on why I was less impressed. Now it makes sense.

Ace001

i used to believe that he and his "insider" were one and the same..BUT...

...ive almost started believing that he (misterX) is just a desperate fanboy (like the readers/commenters of his blog) that has been duped by someone posing as an "insider." They are so desperate to believe that the Xbone is more powerful that they buy everything said "insider" says

I stumble onto their page some how. I've never read such delusional stuff. It really felt like a brain washed cult... It was scary!

eso76

You can get 1080p games on there, just as you can on the PS2 or even weaker hardware for example, that point was never contested. The main point is that you have to potentially cut corners to get it there.

This is always the case.
But have you guys even taken a look at the tweet PH was responding to ?
"recent interview with Rebellion Games states esram on xbox one too small for 1080p output"
to which PH simply replies
"there are games running in 1080 60p, so that's not the case"

Now, there's A LOT more on the 1080p matter, but as a reply to that tweet, PH message is perfectly reasonable and there really is nothing to argue about.

I don't know what your point is about the F5 downgrade either. Are you trying to justify the downgrade or making a point that the game looks that good now with fewer cars on the screen? Because it doesn't. The game was clearly downgraded, in a big way, just as Dead Rising 3 was as well in-fact. Bare in mind, Microsoft also made a claim that certain other games were running on genuine Xbox One hardware.

Whatever the reasons are for the downgrades, I don't know, but next time Microsoft would do well not to mislead people. Saying that, some of the insiders already predicted this would happen, so maybe we shouldn't have been that surprised.

If anything i don't know what YOUR point was about the downgrade. Yes, the game looks worse than it did when it was first revealed, but that doesn't make it a bad looking game per se at all, doesn't make PH's a bad example.

And my point was the demo wasn't running on a different or more powerful hardware; it was less demanding in a number of ways: graphics were downgraded because other things had to "receive an upgrade" in the final game, not because the hardware was downgraded.
Now, this doesn't make a huge difference because what this means is T10 did expect the hardware to perform better; they expected the xbone to still be able to push those graphics with a full grid and the new physics engine in place which was obviously not the case.
This might be T10's misjudgement or Microsoft's mistake with the OS using more resources than devs were lead to believe, but I don't think anyone was trying to mislead us *with that particular demo* (reveal trailers on the other hand...).

Guys at T10 might not be in the position to come out and tell anyone but i've followed F5 development very closely and at some point that game obviously was in development hell; a lot of things were being redone and i was totally expecting it to get either delayed or downgraded; i'm sure the guys at T10 had to rebuild a lot of the assets and rethink a lot of things when they realized the console (or their current engine) didn't quite match their expectations.

So..what was my point again ? Ahh, yes. You said look at what corners had to be cut for F5 to run in 1080p, what i'm saying that demo WAS running on genuine xbone (not microsoft claim, it's digital foundry guys who investigated) and still could. Just with not enough resources left for a full grid.

Not trying to defend the game or the console, mind you. In fact the xbone is the only console in history i bought at launch and sold after less than 2 months.
I bought the xbone for F5 alone and it was a huge letdown in many ways, while the console itself is the huge design mistake it always looked like.

chadskin

why do you feel sorry for him? Dude is a jackass with an unhealthy hate for Neogaf(really any website that says anything positive about Sony and the ps4) and Sony to the point that he is making shit up and has some severely ignorant people to eat up every word he says, both his and his made up insider.

Dude is a pathetic.

Appears to me it might be a mental disorder, similar to how and what "hardcore" conspiracy theorists argue.
There's nothing wrong with not believing everything and asking question if you've doubts on certain aspects but if you're as hung up on those things (despite clear evidence to the contrary) as these people including misterxmedia, then there's something wrong mentally, I'd say.

This is what I'd classify as a fanboy:

The very fact the MS keep saying that XB1 CAN SUPPORT 4k gaming, says it all. The sleeping components in the XB1 are 2014-2015 based. The software that activate them aren't ready yet. DX11.2, DX12, TR, etc. Sony forced their hand.

misterxmedia is something else entirely, just with how much detail and attention he constructs this image in his mind that the XB1 is the stronger console. But I'll stop derailing the thread, sorry. :)

This is damning. I was at the taping for that show and was very impressed with the look of the game. I had no interest in sim racers, but thought it was a great showcase for the Xbone. Forward to last week at the Microsoft store...I couldn't put my finger on why I was less impressed. Now it makes sense.
I'm still really confused about what the explanation is for such a significant downgrade in roughly 4-5 months of development time. It's not like they weren't aware of what the final hardware would be capable of handling by that time.

I'm still really confused about what the explanation is for such a significant downgrade in roughly 4-5 months of development time. It's not like they weren't aware of what the final hardware would be capable of handling by that time.

They actually may not have been. Rumors were tools were pretty late, ditto for final SDK. What we saw at E3 was probably running off higher target specs then what they got int the end. To hit their promise of 1080p60, they had to downscale a bit.

I suspect they will get a lot better visuals out of their next game, given more time to optimize and better tools. I don't think it will ever catch the ps4's peak though.

Sydle

Haha. Oh my, this might continue....

I really hope not. It's the same demographic that continues to enable franchises like Killzone to get worse, because all the dev has to do is flaunt something that will look good in screenshots and GIFs to get people to create hype for them and sell a million copies easy. It makes this place really hard to stomach at times, seems like Gamefaqs more and more.

It was better here when it was mostly the finer points of the gameplay being debated. That's the kind of input a dev can use to make their game truly better, and these days those kinds of threads get buried fast by useless list wars and graphics comparisons.

Appears to me it might be a mental disorder, similar to how and what "hardcore" conspiracy theorists argue.
There's nothing wrong with not believing everything and asking question if you've doubts on certain aspects but if you're as hung up on those things (despite clear evidence to the contrary) as these people including misterxmedia, then there's something wrong mentally, I'd say.

This is what I'd classify as a fanboy:

misterxmedia is something else entirely, just with how much detail and attention he constructs this image in his mind that the XB1 is the stronger console. But I'll stop derailing the thread, sorry. :)

The hilarious thing is that there is always an excuse or cop-out ready to keep the cultists of that blog coming back.

A head of the titanfall news this week, they posted that titanfall was not "using the stereo drivers" lol to cop-out of titanfall not running at 1080p.

any who back on topic haha.

Thuway told me (and later, everyone else on the forum) that MS was using a GPU in the dev kit that was significantly more powerful than the final one, while Sony was doing the exact opposite. Seems like there is truth to that.

So nobody answered my question a few pages back.

Would it have been more logical to go with a split memory pool between ddr3 and gddr5 like a pc than using esram?

They actually may not have been. Rumors were tools were pretty late, ditto for final SDK. What we saw at E3 was probably running off higher target specs then what they got int the end. To hit their promise of 1080p60, they had to downscale a bit.

I suspect they will get a lot better visuals out of their next game, given more time to optimize and better tools. I don't think it will ever catch the ps4's peak though.
They would have been better off keeping the eye candy and dropping to 30fps. I generally never say that and I love 60fps racers but Horizon did a really good job of distracting me from the fact that it was running at half the framerate. I haven't played Forza 5 but none of the media I've seen for it since it was released has been impressive to me.
Thuway told me (and later, everyone else on the forum) that MS was using a GPU in the dev kit that was significantly more powerful than the final one, while Sony was doing the exact opposite. Seems like there is truth to that.
I'm hoping that's because plans for the GPU changed after the dev kits went out because the alternative option is just too crazy for words. It would imply that MS thinks that we don't have eyes.

Where does it say those statistics are for gaming?

Common sense.

If only 10% of the visitors do have a higher resolution than 1024x768 than I wouldn't say that 1080p and better was common in 2004. Or we define PC gamers as master race who invest alot of money into PC hardware.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

1920 x 1080 32.51%
1366 x 768 23.87%

Are the two most common resolution of Steam users today. And the percentage of 1280 x 1024 users is still higher than all >1080p users together.

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
Yes, I'am the 1440p ONE! Thanks cheap overclocking Korean display :)! LOLZ!. Will be good until the 4k/60hz are actually 'cheap' enought (TN version)

Begaria

Speaking of Forza 5...

yh8vFkw.jpg

9Y2pieG.jpg

The word is 128mb esram, unlocked later this year

I just read through today's post. Loved it! I cannot believe they honestly think that the Xbox One has some kind of dual layer magic mumbo jumbo that has 128 MB of eSRAM, on top of still believing this second layer has the mystical dGPU. It's so bizarre to read and yet I cannot help myself. It's so good. Everyone here HAS to read misterxmedia. It's simply magical to behold.

Asd202

That's not really fair. The crowd is the way it is because you drive by it so fast it doesn't need to be really detailed. It's not really because of the XBO's limitations. Overall F5 looks great. It's 60fps and 1080p... AND it is a launch title. The man has a point.

lol

Hubble

I really hope not. It's the same demographic that continues to enable franchises like Killzone to get worse, because all the dev has to do is flaunt something that will look good in screenshots and GIFs to get people to create hype for them and sell a million copies easy. It makes this place really hard to stomach at times, seems like Gamefaqs more and more.

It was better here when it was mostly the finer points of the gameplay being debated. That's the kind of input a dev can use to make their game truly better, and these days those kinds of threads get buried fast by useless list wars and graphics comparisons.

I think your wrong in that this is ALWAYS the case regarding new consoles. When consoles first launch, specs, hardware, graphical differences, are always contested hotly, and in the future, multiplatforms are always going to be known/posted which version performs better just like Red Dead Redemption last gen on 360/PS3. MS is getting a lot flak rightfully so for the terrible hardware decisions they made. It looks like they were just responding to Sony's earlier dev kits of 4gb DDR3, instead of leading the way on their own with better hardware for everyone.

Of course, gameplay and game discussion will continue.

Sasukekun

Neo Member
I just read through today's post. Loved it! I cannot believe they honestly think that the Xbox One has some kind of dual layer magic mumbo jumbo that has 128 MB of eSRAM, on top of still believing this second layer has the mystical dGPU. It's so bizarre to read and yet I cannot help myself. It's so good. Everyone here HAS to read misterxmedia. It's simply magical to behold.

Just started, it's like some sort of train wreck. Horrendous to look at, but you just cannot avert your gaze.

Think I originally stumbled upon it while researching tiled resources. The way what I read then and the blog that I have just read makes me believe the two are one and the same.

Top Bottom