• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Harrison responds to eSRAM sze, "Clearly not the case, look at Forza 5"

Amir0x

Banned
somebody needs to tell these guys about fighting on your enemies home turf, they should just stop talking about tech.

G_Berry

Banned
Someone needs to tell Phil Harrison that it would be a pure fucking miracle if F5 in this state would not hit 1080p60 on Xbone. Turn10 compromised a lot of things to acheve that rendering speed.

Disastrous anisotropic filtering [lack of texture bandwith to the GPU]
http://abload.de/img/ao067c8i.png

Insane track asset quality reduction
http://i.imgur.com/semvdyJ.jpg

Mortal Kombat crowd
http://abload.de/img/dat_3d_crowd_1akezo.jpg

Total reliance on ineffective shader-based AA techniques [aggressively semi-hidden by blur and dof]
http://abload.de/img/1920x-1g4enh.jpg

But the game still looks awesome and plays great all at 1080P / 60 FPS and everyone I show it too thinks it looks fucking amazing me included.

Come at me!

(Also, its a launch game)

Caayn

It would be more fair to see that the XB1 is having troubles in the 1080p department due to its gpu instead of the esram pool.
And from what I've seen it in person before the launch, it's got pretty bad aliasing.
I see this all the time in every forza 5 thread. And yet when I play the game I barely notice the jaggies, yes they are there but they're not as bad as the internet wants you to believe. (imo)

Forza 5 is probably not the best game to use as an example...
why not? Is there a better looking title than it running in 1080p and 60 fps? On either console? And by 60, I mean completely locked, because you do have to compromise a lot more to be sure you will never dip below 60.

ViciousDS

Banned
DAT BAKED LIGHTNING!

There were so many cut corners to get Forza to run at 1080p, crowds, lighting, I can't remember if the trees were still 2D

Melchiah

I see this all the time in every forza 5 thread. And yet when I play the game I barely notice the jaggies, yes they are there but they're not as bad as the internet wants you to believe. (imo)

Well, I was observing the game at the local expo, instead of playing it. So, that might be why it was more obvious to me. The jaggies on the sides of the road and on the edges of the car caught my eye immediately, and were definitely an eyesore.

EDIT: This portrays it pretty well.
Total reliance on ineffective shader-based AA techniques [aggressively semi-hidden by blur and dof]
http://abload.de/img/1920x-1g4enh.jpg

derFeef

DAT BAKED LIGHTNING!

There were so many cut corners to get Forza to run at 1080p, crowds, lighting, I can't remember if the trees were still 2D
20070720MarekPecka-lightning-strike_blesk2a.jpg
:)

Wow. MS just won't shut up. Every game on Xbox One can be 1080p if you make enough sacrifices.

I guess they are getting tired hammered with this things too on twitter etc. - so they respond.
It would be nice if both fronts would just "shut up" about that - everyone knows what's up - it wont't change anything if we continue to beat the dead horse, so to say.

Amir0x

Banned
This never fails to raise a laugh. What the hell were they thinking? Why didn't they just remove the crowd and be honest about the reasons why? Rushed for launch, X1 couldn't handle 3d crowds on top of being 1080/60, etc.

because then we wouldn't have comedy gold, Miles. And that's important in this industry.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This never fails to raise a laugh. What the hell were they thinking? Why didn't they just remove the crowd and be honest about the reasons why? Rushed for launch, X1 couldn't handle 3d crowds on top of being 1080/60, etc.

To be fair, the crowd in a racing game is an obvious point for optimizations when your game is struggling with the performance target. You never look at them anyway, and when you see them, it's just in your peripheral vision. The crowd does look a bit goofy, but who cares.

The real problem I have with Forza 5's visuals are the jaggies. You notice them in every damn apex since that's where you have to focus on in turns. And that's something we can probably blame on the ESRAM.

Dilly

Banned
PCars may raise the bar when it hits, but it's still in development and we don't know what the console versions will look like. It has some pretty tracks. It also still has some really ugly ones too...shrug.

Of course it has, none of the tracks have their final passes done anyway.

d9b

Banned
Phil Harrison responds to eSRAM size, "Clearly not the case, look at Forza 5".

Why did you bring a knife to a gunfight Phil? Why!?!

Majanew

Banned
To be fair, the crowd in a racing game is an obvious point for optimizations when your game is struggling with the performance target. You never look at them anyway, and when you see them, it's just in your peripheral vision. The crowd does look a bit goofy, but who cares.

The real problem I have with Forza 5's visuals are the jaggies. You notice them in every damn apex since that's where you have to focus on in turns.

Yeah, the game suffers from aliasing, but I have to admit -- when driving in cockpit view, the game looks pretty good. It's so smooth with the rock solid 60fps, and thanks to T10 hitting 1080p, it's very crisp. The game looks more next-gen to me in cockpit view than any other racing view. I guess it's the combination of the light shafts and windshield reflections. It's made PCars cockpit view look bland to me. lol

terrier

this reminds me of himself when asked about rumble back in the ps3 launch period, and once DS3 was revealed he said..... 'what did you expect me to say?'

He seems to be always in stormy situations, but i guess sometimes it is better to say nothing than to talk and say something stupid.

gaming_noob

Deception and lies may have worked 20 years ago when social media wasn't as prominent. Seems MS is still employing ancient tactics. Get with the times idiot suits...

Honey Bunny

It's not a problem when you're driving, so not worth removing them to avoid some embarrassing screenshots on forums. Anyway, the headline then would be: XB1 can't do 1080p 60fps racing games without removing crowds.

GeoramA

Go home, Phil. You're drunk.

Deception and lies may have worked 20 years ago when social media wasn't as prominent. Seems MS is still employing ancient tactics. Get with the times idiot suits...
Boggles my mind at how far behind MS is in this department. Jeff Rubenstein is there now and he helped make Sony a social media powerhouse. Hope he can turn things around a little.

G_Berry

Banned
Yeah, the game suffers from aliasing, but I have to admit -- when driving in cockpit view, the game looks pretty good. It's so smooth with the rock solid 60fps, and thanks to T10 hitting 1080p, it's very crisp. The game looks more next-gen to me in cockpit view than any other racing view. I guess it's the combination of the light shafts and windshield reflections. It's made PCars cockpit view look bland to me. lol
Bu.. bu.. but the trees!

Yaoibot

Clearly the PS3 is a 1080p beast, look at Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2!!!

#Oneinstancedoesnotmakeapatternortrendpleasestoptreatinguslikewe'restupid

Jack_AG

Banned
Phil's comment = dig against PS4?

It is certainly reaching or reading way too much into it.
Its not a dig on PS4. Phil clearly misunderstands that it will be impossible to keep complete parity for both consoles if developers are pulling all the stops for each particular version. If a dev chooses to hit 1080p on PS4 that dev will certainly have to make concessions to keep all bells and whistles the same, the concession is usually fewer pixels.

He believes its just about a flat 1080p regardless of visual flair.

derFeef

Its not a dig on PS4. Phil clearly misunderstands that it will be impossible to keep complete parity for both consoles if developers are pulling all the stops for each particular version. If a dev chooses to hit 1080p on PS4 that dev will certainly have to make concessions to keep all bells and whistles the same, the concession is usually fewer pixels.

I am not sure how you can know that he misunderstands this because of the short tweet. He gave examples of 1080p games as a response - without context and mentioning of the competition. Looks like you are reading too much into this.

TheOddOne

Did you get all of that from that short tweet? I mean, does he really imply parity?

I think people are reading too much into it.

Really, he points to a racing game as an excuse? Wow maybe next he'll point to a sports game, wait never mind I just looked at the OPs post and not just the title, he did also point at a sports game as an example.

SkylineRKR

Forza 5 is not an impressive looking game. Its pre-baked, sterile looking and has jaggies. And its circuit racing which should be easier than driving through canyons and cities. There isn't that much content on top of it.

But Forza is an X1 game, its not on Ps4 nor will it ever be. The case in point here is the multi platform software like TR and GZ. X1 will likely always lag behind.

Cimeas

Banned
The assertion was that 1080p was 'impossible' on XBO due to the ESRAM. Now that's not even what the guys at Rebellion were saying (they referred specifically to their own game) but that's what certain rabid fans took from it.

Harrison simply disproves that (ridiculous) claim.

a916

He's right though... it's not as clear cut as "games aren't 1080p because of ESRAM".

Man has a point... but sure, let's completely rip it apart for some strange reason...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

removing the crowds would not have been a better solution. not even close. fm5 feels alive with all the packed stands and crowds. while playing its not noticeable they are 2d sprites. its only negative is its an easy way to bash an otherwise terrific game using screenshots.

It's not a problem when you're driving, so not worth removing them to avoid some embarrassing screenshots on forums. Anyway, the headline then would be: XB1 can't do 1080p 60fps racing games without removing crowds.

Crowds, anti aliasing, 3d trees, real time lighting, trackside geometry, car reflections....

The assertion was that 1080p was 'impossible' on XBO due to the ESRAM. Now that's not even what the guys at Rebellion were saying (they referred specifically to their own game) but that's what certain rabid fans took from it.

Harrison simply disproves that (ridiculous) claim.

Perhaps the better question is can it achieve 1080p without compromises to effects or image quality vs a ps4 version of the same game. We have not seen this to be the case yet.

I think it's laughable how people are responding to this. He was asked about whether the Xbox was capable of hitting 1080p and he correctly pointed out that it is and used forza as an example. That's all that that happened. He wasn't engaging in hyperbole or misleading anyone. He was simply answering the question. We all know that the XB1 is not as powerful as the PS4 but that doesn't mean it is unable to hit a native 1080p resolution. He said nothing to incite a response like this.

a916

I think it's laughable how people are responding to this. He was asked about whether the Xbox was capable of hitting 1080p and he correctly pointed out that it is and used forza as an example. That's all that that happened. He wasn't engaging in hyperbole or misleading anyone. He was simply answering the question. We all know that the XB1 is not as powerful as the PS4 but that doesn't mean it is unable to hit a native 1080p resolution. He said nothing to incite a response like this.

Agreed. Not sure what brings upon this level of vitriol.

Perhaps the better question is can it achieve 1080p without compromises to effects or image quality vs a ps4 version of the same game. We have not seen this to be the case yet.
But that wasn't what he was responding to. It not like compromises aren't made on the PS4 to hit the 1080p resolution as well. The Xbox just has to make quite a few more compromises so devs are more likely to keep the res 720 in order to get the effects they want.

Top Bottom