• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer comments on Silent Hills rumor: 'not true'

8myprP0.jpg

Believe.

Someone should send this to that Youtube show that started this rumour and tell them it's from the guy who predicted that a new Assassin's Creed would launch this year. They'll buy it easily, and then all gaming journalists will jump on.

eso76

I love how Phil killed the rumor for those who didn't believe it in first place, while those who did still chose to read this like:

"it's not true...(we didn't pay that much ;)"
"it's not true...(we didn't buy the IP, just Silent Hills ;)"
"it's not true...(we just founded this Kojima/delToro/Reedus game called Quiet Mounts)"

Some people will never learn to not hurt themselves.

(although i believe we might see this project being revived in some form)

rob305

I love how Phil killed the rumor for those who didn't believe it in first place, while those who did still chose to read this like:

"it's not true...(we didn't pay that much ;)"
"it's not true...(we didn't buy the IP, just Silent Hills ;)"
"it's not true...(we just founded this Kojima/delToro/Reedus game called Quiet Mounts)"

Some people will never learn to not hurt themselves.

(although i believe we might see this project being revived in some form)

It would be awesome to see MS pick up the franchise. I don't care about kojima and japanese games in general, but the meltdowns would be insane

You guys are absolutely right. MS would never spend billions on ONE game.

No, they bought the entire company for that much. This is ignoring the fact that you're comparing one of the biggest IPs ever to a new entry in a floundering franchise based on a niche genre. There's no way. Even the entire franchise including merchandising and movie rights (and Sony, to my knowledge, owns those movie rights) would not approach the much.

Disney, for comparison, bought Star Wars for about $4 billion. There's no way Silent Hill is worth $1 billion. It's not even worth a tenth of that.

Fitts

Thank Christ. Anyone who contributes a dime toward another Down-coming's development will go on my personal blacklist.

If Phil Spencer had spent billions on Silent Hill/Hills or whatever, he would need to immediately be removed because he obviously has no idea what he's doing.

The fact he didn't isn't a shock, it's common sense. It would have been a shock if he had, but not because it would be a positive thing, but because it would be completely ridiculous.

I'm so glad mods stomped that bullshit into the ground on GAF.

Everyone with just a bit of common sense could find multiple reason why it was the least believable rumors in recent times.

Yet it was spread all over news sites. Although I bet most of them realized it was fake as well but hey, it generates hits.

213372bu

Banned
People who hosted the know occasionally tweeted at me

1dzZXI4.png

Urrgh.

I knew this video was B.S. but I'm really disappointed in Funhaus. They've been funny but on mulitple times their news segment, (whether it be Inside Gaming or The Know) has been full of speculation that just doesn't make sense.

Oh well, back to only watching them for entertainment.

KiraXD

Yeah let's compare the biggest gaming ip around to some ip that hasn't been relevant for the last 10 years.

Minecraft has probably made 10 times more money that every single SH games combined.

No, they bought the entire company for that much. This is ignoring the fact that you're comparing one of the biggest IPs ever to a new entry in a floundering franchise based on a niche genre. There's no way. Even the entire franchise including merchandising and movie rights (and Sony, to my knowledge, owns those movie rights) would not approach the much.

Disney, for comparison, bought Star Wars for about $4 billion. There's no way Silent Hill is worth $1 billion. It's not even worth a tenth of that.

yeah...

i know, im being facetious... lol.

I know SH isnt worth it... i was just joking around.

Fury451

Banned

I love Silent Hill, but it's not a billion dollar franchise.
Like...at all. It would never be profitable to spend that much.

There's a good chance it wouldn't be profitable to spend what the IP is even worth considering it's reputation has declined over the last decade.

They bought a name, trademark and community.

Silent Hills is a different job. Kojima Pro would have done it. The team will be disolved in december or before. There is no game no team to make it. MS could have commissioned Konami to do it but ... Konami deosn't seem to want to make it right now. I doubt Del Torro would still be on without Kojima... etc...

Top Bottom