• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer comments on Silent Hills rumor: 'not true'

eerik9000

What's with the attacks against IGN? They did not start it, they just referenced the youtube video. They said it was very hard to believe, they tried to get comments from both Microsoft and Konami, they offered comparison with other recent IP/studio purchases.

Feindflug

Well, I don't see how it's better for the PT players who'd have to get another system for it. Kinda like it would have been the same whether REmake was done or not at the time, as it took 13 years for many to get to play the game.

Dat brand loyalty. :O

wingwah

Banned
Cool of him to flat out deny it. I remember Microsoft's usual "We do not comment on rumors or speculation" response.

Faenix1

Could easily be one of those "No it's not true" things, then E3 comes around and BAM! Silent Hills announcement.

Though I'm not sure why someone would spend a lot for a Silent Hill game instead of making your own. Hasn't been good for some time.

How many times have we heard the "not true" about rumors from ms but they come out to be true. Most recent one is the kinectless xbone.
I highly doubt ms would pay "billions" for silent hills. It's is not that popular of franchise.

RexNovis

Banned
Solid of him to outright deny it. Hopefully this will clear up how unbelievable and ridiculous the rumor is.

Whatever you say Phil ;)

That would have been huge for Microfosoft.

I wouldn't be surprised if Phil Spencer was lying and Silent Hills is revealed at their conference as a timed exclusive or something.

I'm calling it.

What if it was true and Phil is just waiting for E3?..... hmmm..

How many times have we heard the "not true" about rumors from ms but they come out to be true. Most recent one is the kinectless xbone.
I highly doubt ms would pay "billions" for silent hills. It's is not that popular of franchise.

Could easily be one of those "No it's not true" things, then E3 comes around and BAM! Silent Hills announcement.

Though I'm not sure why someone would spend a lot for a Silent Hill game instead of making your own. Hasn't been good for some time.

Holy shit. Really? Really? NO. The rumor is absurd.

OKK

Well, I don't see how it's better for the PT players who'd have to get another system for it.
Now that's just plain silly. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy another system.

What is your stance on Shenmue 3? Would it be better that the game would not exist at all - than the scenario that Sony would publish/fund the third sequal?

fork_bomb

Banned
revEvvO.gif

Melchiah

Now that's just plain silly. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy another system.

What is your stance on Shenmue 3? Would it be better that the game would not exist at all - than the scenario that Sony would publish/fund the third sequal?

I have no personal stance on that, as I've never played the previous Shenmues. It's a different matter though, as it started on an old and now dead platform. It would be similar, if the series had a history on Xbox, and playable teaser of the 3rd on the XBO.

There was a SIlent Hills rumor?

Here I was thinking the "rumor" was that it was dead and that Phil was hinting at secretly funding its revival.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Where did this rumor comw from?
Funny enough this is the first I've heard of it.
So MS didn't want to pay a billion for the franchise?

Who would have thought???
It's MS, they would rather pay a billion for a timed exclusive, no commitment you see.

SerTapTap

I mean this was fucking ridiculous, but a surprising amount of people seemed to believe it. Props to Spencer for shutting it down early, most companies don't seem to respond to rumors even if they're this crazy.

OKK

I think it was assumed SH would have been released on multiple systems due to the series' history.

This really doesn't mean anything. Especially nowadays when were are seeing exclusives like Rise of the Tomb Raider, SFV, Dead Rising 3 among other deals being made by both Sony and MS with Japanese publisher/developers.

TGO

It was more of a general comment about multiplatforms turning to exclusives, but I think it was assumed SH would have been released on multiple systems due to the series' history.
Tbh I would completely ignore lastgen as an indicator of how things will be with everything.
A lot of would be exclusives for the PS3 that went multi would have stayed exclusive if PS3 took off the way PS2 did and PS4 has.
I expect most games staying multiplatform now but some will go exclusive again, in fact some have haven't they?

4Tran

This is why legitimate news organizations won't run the story until they have two sources. The details of the rumor were ridiculous, so nobody should have given any credence to it. It's irresponsible that companies like IGN would write an article on such flimsy material. Obviously, Machinima bears the greatest responsibility, but I don't think they were ever credible to begin with.

Feindflug

Dat dislike of having to buy expensive hardware for a single software, and want for multiplatform titles to stay available for multiple platforms.

It's amazing how you prefer Silent Hills to not release at all than releasing on a non Sony platform...wow. But this shouldn't surprise me considering your reaction when REmake was announced for PS4.

Also single software? really? I've seen you listing every last piece of software on various PS4 related threads and you couldn't find more than one game to play on GC, Wii and now the Xbone? lol.

TGO

Thing is Silent Hills just isn't happening, unless someone buys Silent Hill and Kojima Productions or Konami keep Kojima on to finish it.
Chances of that happening are slim to none.

Melchiah

Tbh I would completely ignore lastgen as an indicator of how things will be with everything.
A lot of would be exclusives for the PS3 that went multi would have stayed exclusive if PS3 took off the way PS2 did and PS4 has.
I expect most games staying multiplatform now but some will go exclusive again, in fact some have haven't they?

I was referring to PS2 gen, when SH2+4 were released on multiple platforms, eventhough the PS2 was the market leader.

It's amazing how you prefer Silent Hills to not release at all than releasing on a non Sony platform...wow. But this shouldn't surprise me considering your reaction when REmake was announced for PS4.

Also single software? really? I've seen you listing every last piece of software on various PS4 related threads and you couldn't find more than one game to play on GC, Wii and now the Xbone? lol.

That's a bit of a distortion of what I wrote, that it was kinda the same whether REmake had been made or not at the time, as many couldn't play it for the entirety of that generation. The same would apply to SH, if the rumor was true. Although, in this case it might be indefinitely out of reach for many, instead of "just" 13 years.

There were only RE0 and Eternal Darkness on top of REmake that interested me on the GC, but nowhere near as much as REmake, as the original was essentially the game that brought me back to gaming. That's why it would have been a single software behind the purchase, just like in SH's case. I've never claimed it, or the XBO, wouldn't have (good) games, they just don't have enough games that are for me. If they had, I would have bought them.

sinxtanx

Xbone without Kinect was the only available business decision at the time

Moneyhatting Silent Hills, a SINGLE game in a series that never had a history of being a big seller, for ACTUAL BILLIONS is not the only available business option

for that to happen Microsoft would have to be run by actual monkeys

I swear this industry gets dumber every year

I-hate-u

It"s not unbelievable that MS bought Silent Hills. It"s unbelievable that the game was 80% done, and they paid billions for it.

RE_Player

This rumour was amongst the most ridiculous I've ever heard in my entire time following the industry. Shame on whatever news outlets talked about it and started it.

Illucio

Banned
Come on did anyone really believe in this?

Billions of dollars?
80% finished?

We we're told by Sakurai himself they hardly even began work on the actual game after PT.

I believe this rumor only started because people agreed to the idea that Xbox needed more killer games on their console.

Maximus.

No shit.

Edit: It's sad that there were major publications (*cough* IGN, Shacknews *cough*) completely gullible enough to think that there was even a hint of legitimacy in the rumor, thus reporting on it.

IGN's new cast of people remind me of the same employed at GameStop, who themselves spout tons of bullshit. I still enjoy their content, though I don't exclusively visit their site.

Lexad

What's with the attacks against IGN? They did not start it, they just referenced the youtube video. They said it was very hard to believe, they tried to get comments from both Microsoft and Konami, they offered comparison with other recent IP/studio purchases.

People join t want an excuse to blame ign. Several major gaming and ps sites were commenting on the rumors and pointed out how ridiculous it was

Darksol

People join t want an excuse to blame ign. Several major gaming and ps sites were commenting on the rumors and pointed out how ridiculous it was

If you think a news story is bullshit then you don't run it. By running something you know is bullshit you're either fishing for clicks or incompetent.

In IGN's case, they're both.

Top Bottom