• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer comments on Silent Hills rumor: 'not true'

AAMARMO

Banned
UiTdunl.gif

Takao

Banned
IGN reporting on this surprised me. That "rumor" didn't hold any water once looked at with a degree of scrutiny.

GnawtyDog

Banned
After hearing these news my hype for MS conference has dropped to 0.
Am I doing this right? lol anyway, water is wet

LycanXIII

I wonder why this rumor got so much coverage. The "billions of dollars" part should be a clear indication that its not true. Microsoft payed 2.5 billion dollars for Minecraft, one of the biggest games/franchises of all time. They are not going to pay billions of dollars for something like Silent Hill, which is a small fish in comparison to Minecraft. And was the track record of the person who apparently made the rumor only that a Kinect-less Xbox One would come? I think a lot of people said that early on. Not really much of a track record if thats the only thing.

Because Rooster Teeth posted it first.

Lexad

Buying a franchise in video games for BILLIONS (when lucas arts and marvel sold for 4B) should have been the first damn clue.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well that's because Sony bought Kojima Productions and the Silent Hill franchise
I wish

Frog-fu

Banned
I thought the rumour wasn't just for SH but all Konami IP since they're leaving the console space. I found that actually halfway realistic.

SFenton

To everyone saying billions was the giveaway, if you think of it as billions of yen, it makes more sense.

That said... yeah, at least a straight denial was given. That's kind of refreshing.

Erevador

This rumor was obvious bullshit, but if there was ever gonna be a Silent Hill sale, this kind of publicity could bring it about. I can't believe that people at Sony and (now) Microsoft aren't throwing the idea around, even if it won't actually happen.

That IGN story got 11,000 comments, and Silent Hills trended worldwide on twitter.

Chabbles

Maybe the leak got scrambled. It was never about Silenthills, but the teaser itself. which is 80% ported to XB1 as of right now, and will be ready by e3 under the name "The Silent Hill Xperience". Its gotta be that, gotta be.

ConceptX

Of course the rumour wasn't true.

Everyone with half a brain knows it's Sony that's buying Silent Hills for billions, jeeze, people these days believe any old nonsense.

Kieli

False flag.

He's lying to us in order to surprise us by announcing it at E3 Microsoft press conference.

Not the first time this has happened.

#teambelieve

Plasma

Banned
I must have missed something I didn't even know there was a rumour.

To be honest I don't even see the point of getting the Silent Hills name you'd be better off just picking up Kojima and Del Toro and starting a new IP.

Hoje0308

Banned
If you needed confirmation from Phil you should probably get off the internet, go outside, and work on your bullshit detector, because you are thick AF.

Polk

To everyone saying billions was the giveaway, if you think of it as billions of yen, it makes more sense.
No it doesn't. Companies don't sell their IPs. Konami can state that Silent Hill IP is worth millions in their financials and thus inflating valuation of their company. That changes once they will want to sell it.

Feindflug

This was such a BS rumor (that 80% ready bit lol) that I seriously can't get how people believed this, even if a buyout of the IP was possible the involvement of Kojima and Del Toro was a huge part of what made the game promising in the first place.

Kudos to Spencer for stopping this nonsense.

Kieli

I recall something about Ed Boon acknowledging something about how he had to say "no" even though he knew "yes", because he didn't want to give something away.

Or maybe it wasn't Ed Boon.

Gimme a few moments, please.

Edit: I wasn't being serious with the comment, by the way. But I do recall one or two examples where people say one thing and renege or the opposite was clearly true (but they couldn't acknowledge because NDA or contract).

nynt9

Looking at Konami's market cap, if MS were willing to spend billions they could just buy the entirety of Konami for that price.

Wagram

This is why I respect Phil Spencer. He's really honest, and it was very apparent from the start that this was completely false.

Eggbok

I'd take this with a grain of salt but this looks like a leaked confirmation that Microsoft isn't buying Silent Hills.
Looks legit if you ask me. Someone make a thread pls.

R6L8TpF.jpg

farisr

I'd take this with a grain of salt but this looks like a leaked confirmation that Microsoft isn't buying Silent Hills.
Looks legit if you ask me. Someone make a thread pls.

R6L8TpF.jpg

Umm.... what? This is the thread for that tweet.

Edit: nvm, I get it.

fader

No shit.

Edit: It's sad that there were major publications (*cough* IGN, Shacknews *cough*) completely gullible enough to think that there was even a hint of legitimacy in the rumor, thus reporting on it.

they didn't report it because they thought it was true, they reported it because they though they can get eyes.

The rumor never even made sense. Putting aside paying billions for Silent Hills, if the game was 80% complete, it would make way more sense to release it and then get out of the console/PC business. I can't imagine even some of the most poorly run companies investing money on a game, getting it to 80% complete and then canning it simply to get out of the business sooner when you could recoup costs by releasing it.

Umm.... what? This is the thread for that tweet.
We had five threads about the rumour earlier, and they all (especially later ones) got similar spicing to that post (in replies mainly).

"It doesn't make sense to have only one thread about the retort" then.

Top Bottom