• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Don't Expect a New XBOX Every Two Years

"I don’t have this desire to every two years have a new console on the shelf", he explained to Game Informer. "That’s not part of the console business model, and it doesn’t actually help us. The best customer I have is somebody who buys the original Xbox and just buys all the games. That’s the best customer for us in terms of the pure financials of it [...] I’m not trying to turn consoles into the graphics card market.

On plans regarding the future of Xbox consoles:

"To be completely honest, I don’t know what the next console is past Scorpio. We’re thinking about it. We’re looking at consumer trends and what the right performance spec and price would be, and [asking ourselves], 'Can we hit something that has a meaningful performance characteristic that a gamer would care about?'"

On Xbox One spec dragging down Scorpio's potential:

I know from a pure console perspective I hear, “Hey, you’re going to drag Scorpio down by making devs continue to support the Xbox One.” But anyone that has played PC games knows that PCs have a minimum spec, a recommended spec and an unbounded spec. And I don’t think anybody says, “Wow, Battlefield at the top-end is somehow held back by its ability to support [low-end PCs].” Devs know how to build scalable games. They already do.

On ensuring Xbox One games work on Scorpio:

This implies that Xbox One and Xbox Scorpio share similar architecture...

There is definitely work involved with that promise of your Xbox One games running on Scorpio. I don’t want to make it seem like it’s free. There is technical work that had to happen before we could actually make that promise on stage at E3, because I didn’t want to miss that opportunity. And frankly, we had to work with our partners and say, “Here’s what we’re going to need in order to make this something that we support.”

On Palmer Luckey's politics:

You have an established relationship with Oculus and Palmer Luckey. How do the recent revelations that he personally funded racist propaganda in support of Donald Trump affect that relationship?

On the political side with Palmer, I don’t really have much to comment. Not to duck it, I honestly read the same things you read, but I actually don’t know Palmer that well. I’ve met him maybe twice, so I don’t have much to say about that.
Just to be clear on our partnership with Oculus: they license our controller to bundle with their head-mounted display. That’s what we did. And we happen to ship Minecraft on Gear VR and Oculus.
At a working level, we’re as invested in making sure that all the Windows head-mounted displays work. We’re working with Valve and HTC to make sure that device works, too.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11...ery-two-years?abthid=58189130fac104d17a00000b

All credit goes to David Milner at Game Informer Australia for the interview.

Here's the interview for those curious: http://http://www.gameinformer.com/...il-spencer-talks-xbox-scorpio-and-beyond.aspx

Lock if old

Duxxy3

Every 4 years is roughly what I expect from Microsoft from here. I think Sony is going to back to a standard schedule with the PS5.

I'll expect a new generation of consoles 4-5 years from the launch of PS4 Pro which launches next week. Phil is right, we don't need the console market to be something akin to mobile phones.

Lister

Banned
Did anyone think otherwise?

It's a significant investment to push out new hardware. Not as bad as it used to be now that they are essentially PC's with a branded custom case, but still.

LordOfChaos

3 years confirmed?

I always thought the n-1 model would work well for what they're saying. Support two boxes at any one time, so each box gets a good 6 years of support. Make older boxes optional to support, like some apps working on the 4S.

MysteryM

A new console 4 years after scorpio please, I want substantial jumps in hardware with each iteration, which I see scorpio as being. I have my money waiting...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So, what is the difference between a basic hardware generation and "a future of no console generations", considering what your talking about here Phil? You know its impossible that hardware can be infinitely forwards compatible, so what is the exact angle MS is going with?

I wanna know.

Kolx

Assuming Sony is going with the 3 years cycle, does that mean we'll have another Pro\Scorpio situation 3 years from now?

just gotta add: with their WIN10 focus and free online play. I dont even see why anyone would want the console after xboxone. Just buy a good PC, the games will come to pc anyhow. exclusives sony titles; etc get a PS5 and PC.

the xbox platform is one that seems to be on its way out with their ecosystem plans.

levyjl1988

Banned
Like a computer I store my digital games on an external drive and that includes game installations. If I ever switch boxes or one fries I just switch boxes and log in with my GT. Never do I have to calibrate my settings really cause its saved to my GT and the system reads from my external. I guess I will have to worry about my monitor that can support HDR and 4K.

Inuhanyou

Assuming Sony is going with the 3 years cycle, does that mean we'll have another Pro\Scorpio situation 3 years from now?

According to Sony, that's not their goal. They want new hardware every so often, not a new generation.

So a pro like iteration would come every 6 years, and a numbered unit would come every 6 years for example.

Because of x86 and a supposed focus on BC, you can keep your library every time, but there's a console added in the middle of the gen to give a marginal boost in power for those wanting that.

krang

3 years would be the max for the next one, otherwise they'd be a long way outside the window of competing with the PS5.

sublimit

Banned
I don't care if these companies change their console release model to 2,3 or 4 years.

All i know is that i have my own personal model of upgrading to a new console every 6-7 years and i'm going to keep it that way.I want to see significant jumps in power when i upgrade to a new system and not half-assed overpriced attempts every couple of years.

I don't. I expect that THIS refresh was just a do over from the misstep of underpowering the original XBone in the face of the PS4 and mistakenly doubling down on the dead Kinect hardware.\.

emb

Sounds like he's kinda just guessing isn't really sure. I think the best thing to do is not buy the Scorpio, if you don't want more refreshes. Or buy it if you do. "We're looking at consumer trends" sounds like "we'll see how much money we make, then decide".

bomer

Why do I have a feeling Sony know exactly what system will be out in 2 or so years time.

I imagine Microsoft will punch above their weight with Scorpio, and Sony will announce a ps5 to launch mid 2018 and the leaves frog power cycle will continue.

Inuhanyou

I don't care if these companies change their console release model to 2,3 or 4 years.

All i know is that i have my own personal model of upgrading to a new console every 6-7 years and i'm going to keep it that way.I want to see significant jumps in power when i upgrade to a new system and not half-assed overpriced attempts every couple of years.

I don't know if i'd classify Pro and SCorpio as half assed overpriced attempts, but i do generally agree with the sentiment of wanting my PS4 to stay relevant for a set number of years before having to move on

That is why i appreciate Sony trying to continue with the viewpoint that gens are still a thing in the face of Pro and things have not really changed in regards to the numbered units staying relevant until the next numbered unit comes along.

Why do I have a feeling Sony know exactly what system will be out in 2 or so years time.

I imagine Microsoft will punch above their weight with Scorpio, and Sony will announce a ps5 to launch mid 2018 and the leaves frog power cycle will continue.

Sony won't be out prior to 2019, that is my viewpoint.

Try 2020.

Minimum.

You don't knee-cap the fastest selling console of all time 5 years into its life, especially when it had a three year refresh.

Long as they keep games mostly backwards compatible for a few generations somehow I personally do not mind refreshes every few years.

Ascenion

So, what is the difference between a basic hardware generation and "a future of no console generations", considering what your talking about here Phil? You know its impossible that hardware can be infinitely forwards compatible, so what is the exact angle MS is going with?

I wanna know.

I would imagine the model Apple uses for the iPhone just with more time between releases. So eventually Xbox One will stop being supported but all titles up to whatever Xbox would theoretically be backwards compatible just like apps. So you're buying newer hardware but not losing your games, and the newer hardware isn't necessarily the newest hardware. So basically when the Scorpio's successor is released I would imagine OG Xbox One support will not be required but Scorpio support will be for all games moving forward since it will be the entry level model. So if you still have a OG Xbox One at this point you can do what I imagine will be a cheap upgrade to Scorpio or go all out and get a Xbox Two.

sublimit

Banned
I don't know if i'd classify Pro and SCorpio as half assed overpriced attempts, but i do generally agree with the sentiment of wanting my PS4 to stay relevant for a set number of years before having to move on

I had mostly the PS pro in mind.Scorpio seems like a more honest attempt although we can't say for sure until we learn about its price.

The best customer is someone who buys the original Xbox... you mean the console that was straight up murdered after 4 years? Not the best choice of words!

jdmonmou

I applaud Phil for saying this. It would be stupid for MS to adopt the cell phone release model. Maybe I'll come around on iterative consoles if they extend the life of the base model without Sony & MS asking us to upgrade every 2 years. I hope Phil stays true to his word.

Top Bottom