• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer feels it's counter productive to lock people away from games by making them device exclusive, prefers to scale games across ecosystem

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Fair point. But I've learn not to think about neither the past nor the future, I take the games for what they are, now, today, if a game I like get's a sequel some time later, that's great, but if it doesn't because it didn't sell well (like Quantum Break for example), then that's ok too, I'll just find other games to play, or simply other activities than playing video games. It's all just a business, and it's not my business, so I couldn't bother any less about sales numbers, revenue etc.
That's good that you're content. I would like a sequel to Quantum Break on the XSX or Ryse 2, hopefully Xbox gives them another chance even though they didn't sell great

REE Machine

Banned
Obviously. That's how public companies/stock market work, they have to put everything in the brightest light possible. But still, I personally couldn't care less if a franchise I'm not interested in sells 1, 10 or 100MLN copies, and vice versa, I don't care how many other people bought the game which I enjoyed. Leave that the those companies accountants, that's what they're for.
I do because that means more games in that franchise, possibly being able to hire more people and branching to more than one studio, making more games etc. Thats grassroots development 1 o 1 for general industries and growth, who wouldnt want thT? Thats why xbox struggled this gen because they didnt make many good games, lots of new ips struggles and wont see the light pf day for sequels and thats also why they bought studios to "compete" with sony than growing naturally.

Deto

Banned
Because the game is not ready... This has literally nothing to do with excluding other platforms, but keep on trolling

the fact that MS launched exclusive for PC.

And you should be complaining about it and not doing damage control.

Age of Empires IV

LOL

We will never see an xbox fan complain that Age of Empires 4 was announced only for PC.

Microsoft also announced today that Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, Forgotten Empires’ 4K remaster of the 20-year-old Age of Empires, will be released Oct. 19. It will be available exclusively on Windows 10 in the Windows Store.

LOL

Wow, the level of consumers who defend xbox on the internet is very ridiculous.
they keep talking shit about the playstation on the internet while an MS shits in their faces.

Last edited:

Tarin02543

Any cross gen game is considered a compromise by both sides. The budget gamer who thinks the game runs bad on the budget system or the first adaptor who thinks the game doesn't look as good as it could look.

Shmunter

Guess I'll keep my Xbox one and buy a PS5. Thanks, Phil!

Next gen excitement by MS

tenor.gif

//DEVIL//

Guess I'll keep my Xbox one and buy a PS5. Thanks, Phil!

This means one thing.

All MS first party games will look worse than Sony offering for the first 2 years even though the hardware is more advance.

i mean lol. This is just telling Sony go ahead and win the race. we know you are weaker than us but we want to get beaten badly again.

sometimes I do not know who is worse. Spencer or Don. they both gave Sony the chance to win this very easily.

its bad enough Sony has the momentum thanks to user base, now you are tellng us that our next shiny 600$ probably console wont be fully utilized like it should because its limited to a 7 years old hardware ?

Its not about frames or 4k. its about better enviorment and character details and animation etc etc etc. dear god man sometimes MS is very stupid.

Agent X

I stand corrected. They must have worked on their emulator since I last checked. :pie_thinking: I do not use PSNow so I do not make it a point to keep up with it.
Are PS3 games downloadable?

No, PS3 games are not downloadable.

PS2 games can be downloaded onto PS4 because they are packaged emulations. In that regard, the PS4 system treats them very much like regular PS4 games.

Great Hair

Banned
If they are so pro gamers. Why tf are you still supposed to have GOLD to play free games multiplayer?

Because that generates lots of free bugattis for everyone at Microsoft.
fortnite, pugb and other f2p games, assume following (@$60 sub minus 30% better accuracy, lower sub cost, other factors)

20mill. F2P xbox users
easily $800 million per year (money Sony does not see)
40mill. F2P xbox users
easily $1,600 million per year (money Sony does not see)

SkylineRKR

I think there is a catch. First of all, the One X is discontinued anyway, there will be a time new adaptors can't buy it and need to buy the Series S if they're on a budget. Secondly, the One is severely underpowered, I wonder how low some games will go in terms of resolution and framerate. Would it even be worth it? The One is probably that system thats going to be offered for like 100-150 bucks for those who have really low standards. Which is not a bad idea as it will run certain F2P games.

Rolla

Banned
I actually made this thread and got banned for it because I didn't frame the opening post properly. And that's not a knock on gafs moderation team. I'm just acknowledging that this is a heated topic.

And on that note, I want to say the following. I used to love XBOX. Even during the RROD (of which I had 4) saga I never lost belief in the console, it's direction and most importantly it's games. Like 90-95% of my fellow gamers XBOX holds a significant role in gaming to me. But as it stands, especially with Phil Spencer at the helm I just don't see it reaching it's previous level of mindshare.

In my humble opinion, and as many have already pointed to in this very thread the messaging at this point, and in my opinion, is too convoluted.

And specifically, when it comes to this new messaging, thankfully November isn't too far off.

hyperbertha

That is why there supposedly only on next generation, if you don't know that what is the point of even having a discussion then if your just talking and arguing for the sake of it. This was enough for me to see your just rabbit fanboy provocateur. Its useless talking to you, have fun being a die hard warrior.
Um no. The only next gen stuff we've seen with regards to ssd is Ratchet and Clank world shifting as far as I know. What I was talking about is game design improvements due to CPU and memory jumps. That is elementary knowledge. You say you 'don't believe' obvious proof, and now fuck up basics like these and trying to maintain some type of debate. Just about one of the most ignore worthy posters I've seen around here.

tryDEATH

Um no. The only next gen stuff we've seen with regards to ssd is Ratchet and Clank world shifting as far as I know. What I was talking about is game design improvements due to CPU and memory jumps. That is elementary knowledge. You say you 'don't believe' obvious proof, and now fuck up basics like these and trying to maintain some type of debate. Just about one of the most ignore worthy posters I've seen around here.

It took you 9 days to come up with that reply? As for being ignore worthy maybe you don't like the fact that I won't go all out on a warrior spree like you and your clique and am able to have a proper discussion instead of just throwing around cheap and useless shots in every single one of my posts, but sure believe your contributing to the greater good of the community with your comments. Enjoy your day.

hyperbertha

It took you 9 days to come up with that reply? As for being ignore worthy maybe you don't like the fact that I won't go all out on a warrior spree like you and your clique and am able to have a proper discussion instead of just throwing around cheap and useless shots in every single one of my posts, but sure believe your contributing to the greater good of the community with your comments. Enjoy your day.
This notification got lost in a sea thats all. And you need to look up the definition of 'proper' After getting bitchslapped around you come up with hilarious methods of changing the topic and otherwise derailing the discussion. I've proven you wrong here multiple times, but you keep coming back for more as if nothing happened. I can find more sources if you want but I think you've had enough of the embarrassment for now. Keep up the cool guy act I believe you(y) :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

tryDEATH

This notification got lost in a sea thats all. And you need to look up the definition of 'proper' After getting bitchslapped around you come up with hilarious methods of changing the topic and otherwise derailing the discussion. I've proven you wrong here multiple times, but you keep coming back for more as if nothing happened. I can find more sources if you want but I think you've had enough of the embarrassment for now. Keep up the cool guy act I believe you(y) :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bitch slapped, how old are you? The only thing you have proven over and over is that you're rabid Sony fan boy that is incapable of having a normal discussion. The moment you see your attempt of fanboy baiting get rejected you turn into an immature person that starts calling people names and provocating, much like you did with your posts here and everywhere else you go looking for trouble. It won't be long until you lash out uncontrollably again and get an inevitable ban for taking it too far.

Have a lovely day.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Real shame... This thinking will be the reason why they'll be last again. I'm baffled at how MS doesn not see how important true console exclusives are. Both Nintendo and Sony heavily own their success on these games and MS insisting one it to keep releasing their games on multiple plattforms is the exact reason why people will rather buy Sony or Nintendo.

Grinchy

Banned
And again, if the presser on the 23rd is legit and the games dont look like ports from this generation, then id say they will be able to do exactly what they said they could do. Which, Id prepare for if i were you.

Quite simply, if the games shown during the press conference look as good or better than what Sony showed, effectively, youll probably need to change your stance. Im personally betting 10:1 that youll need to. 10 days...
Did anyone take you up on those 10:1 odds?

:messenger_smiling:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Mark my words. if the july 23rd showcase has half a dozen next gen only exclusives just like Sony did, every single of these posters will change their tune and praise it as the greatest conference of all time. And phil as the savior we needed.

by the time, he came to his senses and started buying studios, it was too late. now he's not ready for his own most powerful console despite owning 15 AAA studios, and he's in full damage control mode. Because you are right, if sony releases Horizon, Demon Souls, GT7, Spiderman and Ratchet in the first year, and has GoW, Silent Hill, Death Stranding 2, and Days Gone ready for year 2 then he would be in deep shit.

yeah the meme comment is pure console warring. he is pre-emptively shutting down any criticism of his approach by labeling it console warring.

extremely disingenuous, but that's Phil for you.

I look at their studios and I dont think they will be showing that many cross gen games.

- Halo Infinite - crossgen. Started dev in 2015. it can be excused. of course, saying its natively built for the xsx is a bald face shameful lie to appease their base, but again thats MS for you.
- Everwild - crossgen. shouldve been a next gen only game since they last launched a game AFTER bluepoint launched sotc, but what do i know.
- Fable - I dont think this is cross gen. they likely only started working on this after shipping horizon in october 2018.
- Forza 8 - i dont think this is cross gen either. they said they were taking a year off because it was getting samey and they did. it came out the same year as gt sport and if PD can make a next gen only sequel in 3 years, these guys can as well.
- Initiative - this is definitely next gen since its been confirmed by insiders that it wont be at the conference.
- Coalition games - they last shipped a game 8 months ago, this is definitely a next gen game. like a teaser like hellblade 2.
- hellblade 2 - clearly a next gen game even if the teaser is pre-rendered.
- state of decay 3 - came out soon after sea of thieves but it wasnt shown at the x019 event like everwild so its possible its a next gen only game.
- crackdown dev team - released a game early last year - no way they are working on a cross gen game.

i think we get maybe 2-3 cross gen AAA games max. everything else will be either indie or from third party studios like dying light. shinobi has been hinting at a pretty insane lineup of games and i dont think hes stupid enough to pimp a show with cross gen games.

i think phil is out there saying stupid shit like this because at launch, he wont have a next gen game besides forza. at most likely wont have anything until 2022. i dont see which of these studios can get a game out by holiday 2021 which is not going to be a good look considering sony should have Spiderman Miles, Ratchet, GT7, Horizon and Demon Souls out by then.

I am sorry but this completely ignores all the points I have brought up in this thread along with several other posters who havent taken pot shots at him. This is you handwaving any valid criticism of this approach by Phil, and why we simply cannot have a decent discussion on this matter.

He is saying contradictory things. he is saying things that simply do not make sense. he is saying things that are completely untrue. if you arent willing to discuss them, fine say you aren't interested, but lets not facetiously paint an entire thread as fanboy drivebys.

And i really dont see how Spiderman looks like a PS4 game. I mean i get that these games at the PS5 reveal looked underwhleming next to Hellblade 2, but they did not look like PS4 games, especially not Miles.

Spider-Man-Miles-2.png

miles_morales_spider_man_hero_3840.jpg

Cross gen games traditionally use the same exact character model and just up the resolution and sometimes up the framerate.

maxresdefault.jpg

We know what characters look like in Halo Infinite.

kevin-dalziel-halo-infinite-e3-2019-discover-hope-high-quality-stream-and-downlox-gamersyde-mp4-snapshot-03-49-2019-08-25-00-45-49.jpg

I can promise you that this guy will look identical across both versions with slightly less detail in lower end xbox just Venom Snake in MGSV. It will not be as big of an upgrade as the Miles character model above.
No one is this clueless. I think he's just fucking with us, and is preparing to unleash half a dozen games that look like Hellblade 2 on July 23rd.
Called it.

There was no cross gen plan. He just wasnt ready and was making excuses. Halo is literally the only AAA first party cross gen game they will have for the first 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Called it.

There was no cross gen plan. He just wasnt ready and was making excuses. Halo is literally the only AAA first party cross gen game they will have for the first 2-3 years.

If it's really bad prepare to see 3rd party exclusives being bought up for timed exclusivity.... no matter the cost. Big names.
They need to move consoles... and their big mover (Halo Infinite) tripped over itself before even reaching the starting line. Now we hearing the "war is over"... the hec is going?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Forza motorsport only coming to Series X and PC
Avowed and Fable same.

So Xbox one will not get big games after 2021

Oh people know, the PR line of not excluding players being a front not to say “our first party studios are not ready yet with their content the best we could do is to drag Xbox One games and upscale them like we did for Halo: Infinite” was clear from the moment they started with this holier than thou approach trying to throw shade at the competition.

ZywyPL

Banned
They need to move consoles...

No they don't, that's not even their long-term plan, quite the opposite. Consoles sales only matter for kids on the internet to drive their console wars, to brag about who "won", but there's no money in the consoles themselves. Because everything comes down to just Sony vs MS right? Because companies like EA, Ubi, Bethesda, Epic, Bungie, Riot etc. don't exist right? Companies that make billions of dollars on a yearly basis, sometimes even on just a single title, without owning any hardware at all, and even giving a chunk of their money to the platform holders. There are countless examples where it's crystal clear that selling consoles means absolutely nothing as far as revenue/profit goes, and that's the goal of all those gaming companies, and MS with declining hardware sales while having a record revenue as of recently is the very best proof, they don't need to sell a single Xbox console just because kids on the internet want them to, they can make billions without it. Not to mention they have billions of Windows devices out there already, and are planning to jump on another few billions of smartphones out there, those are the numbers that no gaming console will ever be able to achieve.

No they don't, that's not even their long-term plan, quite the opposite. Consoles sales only matter for kids on the internet to drive their console wars, to brag about who "won", but there's no money in the consoles themselves. Because everything comes down to just Sony vs MS right? Because companies like EA, Ubi, Bethesda, Epic, Bungie, Riot etc. don't exist right? Companies that make billions of dollars on a yearly basis, sometimes even on just a single title, without owning any hardware at all, and even giving a chunk of their money to the platform holders. There are countless examples where it's crystal clear that selling consoles means absolutely nothing as far as revenue/profit goes, and that's the goal of all those gaming companies, and MS with declining hardware sales while having a record revenue as of recently is the very best proof, they don't need to sell a single Xbox console just because kids on the internet want them to, they can make billions without it. Not to mention they have billions of Windows devices out there already, and are planning to jump on another few billions of smartphones out there, those are the numbers that no gaming console will ever be able to achieve.
If Microsoft can't beat Sony at game Consoles, how do you expect them to win at smartphones where Sony is already having the most profitable phone game in Japan for 2019?
Windows have plenty of gamers, but also plenty of cheap games. If you think Microsoft would somehow not have competition in the PC gaming space, you have a hell of a surprise coming.

But they do. If it didn't matter, they wouldn't release the console and spend millions on R&D and marketing for them ...all to sell their ecosystem. The more boxes sold, the more consumers available to sell their games and services, and the more royalties from software. The box is the mover. You can spin like a top on this and you still will be wrong about it, no matter how you slice it. And no matter how much Microsoft hates the idea of going through the motions of selling the box, they'll be held to a standard by the competition and console gamers. If MS doesn't deliver, like they failed to do this generation, and like they're doing now as we move to next-gen; all it means is that they'll continue to bleed hardcore consumers from the X360 era and continue to damage the little loyal faith left by the hardcore's of the brand. It's the hardcore that are the first-movers and promote your box by word of mouth - you lose too many of them this coming gen, on top of the ones MS already lost this gen and there won't be too many casuals lining up to buy the box - even if cheaper than the competition. And this is just on the U.S/UK... cause globally per say they're dead. So when they say the war is over - either they're waving the white flag and are preping an exit from the hardware market down the line (and the hardcore Xbox fanboys refuse to follow their commanders surrender) or they're simply damage controlling and playing possum cause the war is not over and it will never be over since the competition for the discretionary spending of traditional gamers, a finite resource, is always a constant - no matter the form it takes. But hell, they're slowly phasing out the brand in favor of Gamepass (no longer "Xbox" Gamepass). Gamepass being MS last ditch effort at hitting the lotto for as low an effort as possible where they hold all the cards (no ownership and power over content offering), and milk you dry. It's that or an axe from Nadella.

All those pie in the sky concepts are cool and all but they are just that, the power of the clouds.

You can make the argument that they can try to sell their "ecosystem" outside the box on PC, or a smartphone or TV but those ventures usually flop and have flopped on MS in the past. MS has been trying to break Steam with their Windows ventures for decades and they fail each and every time. There is no getting past Steam. Case in point Grounded, Flight Simulator and Sea of Thieves selling very well on Steam for $30, $40 or whatever instead of people going to Gamepass for $1. Although Covid has a lot to do with that, as is the thirst of PC gamers tired of third party multiplats. Kinda like EA had their Origin experiment and realized after all that time that they shouldn't be leaving money on the table because some consumers refuse to purchase outside of the Steam ecosystem.

Unless MS becomes truly third party and not a half-assed pie in the sky "Netflix" of gaming, a loss-leader venture, there is no getting through that Steam wall, The Epic Games Store Wall, the Nintendo Wall, and the Playstation wall - where the overwhelming majority of consumers for traditional gaming lie. They've been spending almost the totality of their marketing power on Gamepass trying to push it down gamer's throats - getting the press and influencers on board. Giving it away literally for free, on cereal boxes etc... They touted 10 million subs but we don't know the average profit margin per sub, the active number of concurrent/active subs monthly (or yearly), or the average subscription length - not to mention the expenses to keep it afloat thus typical MS. They did the same for Xbox Live Gold subscribers and consoles sold to avoid being ridiculed by the competition and to avoid investors comparing, contrasting and pressuring for an axe to the division when poor news hit the press as it did in earlier times. The obfuscation of numbers had many purposes. The real question is; since marketing resources are finite, is an uptick of 3-5 million gamepass subs really worth getting pummeled by Sony on the hardware front to an even lower number than during this gen (because that's where we're heading - to a bloodbath)... we'll know in 2021/2022/2023.

I would naturally say good luck to them but since I don't like that direction lets just say...sayonara...

Last edited:
Top Bottom