• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Fewer 3rd party exclusive deals in future; 1st party is the focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowerLevel

I am still a little shocked Xbox didnt try get persona 5 on there.

Well maybe they did try but it didn't happen for whatever reasons. At least I hope they tried. If they are not trying to get those games on the platform that's acread bummer.

Or who knows. Gamescom is soon and a Xbox version might explain the P5 delay.

I think I'd laugh and cry at the same time. P5 was my primary reason to get a Ps4 this year. Obviously happy to have the Ps4 because I've always owned 2+ systems every generation but that would sting a little...

Sydle

He truly is the king of telling everyone what they want to hear. If he is planning to invest so much in 1st part why have we seen such minimal growth in their first party studios so far this gen? My guess is that when Phil Spencer says first party he means an IP he owns and not a studio he owns. So if true I'm betting we will see a lot more licensed development by the party studios similar to Gears last gen or Scalebound, Killer Instinct etc this gen.

The problem with this strategy is that it is a limp wristed commitment. What I mean by that is that without investment in studios it is far easier for MS production to come to screeching halt like we saw at the end of lady gen. If they invest in studios then they are committed to supporting them long term whereas investing in IPs there is no guarantee that they will continue to support development in the long term.

For those of you reading this whilst grinding your teeth in rage think about this way: right now many are excited for Scalebound as an IP MS owns being developed by a beloved studio (Platinum games). Now imagine tomorrow you wake up to news that MS has decided to purchase Platinum games. You would be ecstatic right? Why is that? Because, in your head, you know that this purchase guarantees future exclusive development and support. It's precisely this reason that a non committal IP investment strategy is less appealing.

He's also been up front when they aren't working on something. It's not just lip service.

So what are we to think about when Sony worked with Naughty Dog for 5 years before acquiring them? How about Guerilla, Evolution, Zipper, Studio Liverpool (Psygnosis), SuckerPunch, Cambridge (from the Millenium Interactive acquisition), Media Molecule, and any others I'm forgetting that make up most of Sony's first-party stable?

If you look back at the time between when they started development to when they were acquired there are years between those two events. It seems to me as if Sony likes to make "limp-wristed" investments too before going all in.

I think the big difference here is that gaming has been a core business to Sony for 3+ generations now, so they've been afforded much more freedom in their investments. If you're at all interested to learn about the fight the Xbox team has had to endure in their first generation just listen to the Podcast Unlocked episode with Spencer, Blackley, and Moore. I imagine you're probably aware of the dramatic shift Mattrick imposed in the late 360 years of doubling down on blockbusters, TV, and Kinect.

While they come from different backgrounds, and have different priorities, their approach to investing in new IP is pretty similar.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Siren.gif
Chartzzz Alert
Siren.gif

I love this haha.

Can't stand it when people post fake numbers.

Would be far more interesting if Microsoft's first party output wasn't so focused on the Gears/Fable/Forza/Halo cycle.

So... what about all of the plenty of titles not in those franchises that they've released and are releasing? 2016 (and possibly beyond, depending on delays) already has Quantum Break, ReCore, Scalebound, Crackdown, Sea of Thieves as well as Gears, 4 new IPs and two returning franchises.

You can complain about the brand name but Horizon is quite different to Motorsport, they also did stuff like Ryse and Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct I could name more but you get the point.

When you have a big franchise... I can't think of any publisher that doesn't make sequels because people want them and if you don't given Fable & Gears have yet to turn up this gen, theres other stuff to play too.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So... what about all of the plenty of titles not in those franchises that they've released and are releasing? 2016 (and possibly beyond, depending on delays) already has Quantum Break, ReCore, Scalebound, Crackdown, Sea of Thieves as well as Gears, 4 new IPs and two returning franchises.

You can complain about the brand name but Horizon is quite different to Motorsport, they also did stuff like Ryse and Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct I could name more but you get the point.

When you have a big franchise... I can't think of any publisher that doesn't make sequels because people want them and if you don't given Fable & Gears have yet to turn up this gen, theres other stuff to play too.

I think this "Xbox One only has Halo/Forza/Fable/Gears" has become the same thing as "PS4 as no games", so it's probably pointless respond to most of them, as indicated by pretty much all of the Xbox One threads in the past few months.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Phil spencer definitely has had a hard job lately.

The one thing i noticed alot is when an rpg or Japanese game gets announced for the ps4 he is bombarded by tweets from xbox one owners demanding he do something to get the game on the console

I first noticed it with street fighter v but the star ocean v tweets he received were nasty

Same after e3 with world of final fantasy and shenmue 3 the twitter barrage was crazy.

I wonder how he'll try to lure in some of those franchises with japan xbox sales so low.

That minority should be investing elsewhere. I think the people who are so bitter about that are more angry about list wars and what the PS4 has than what they will actually buy come time.

Chobel

I too think bundling TR2 is stupid move. They could have just secured marketing rights instead of exclusivity if that's the plan, less money to pay.

klee123

It is going to be harder for MS in general, because PS4 is leading in sales not only with multiplatform Japanese games, but also Western games too. I recall the breakdown with franchises like Witcher, Dragon's Age, Batman etc were heavily skewed towards PS4 in the UK charts.

The one thing i noticed alot is when an rpg or Japanese game gets announced for the ps4 he is bombarded by tweets from xbox one owners demanding he do something to get the game on the console

I first noticed it with street fighter v but the star ocean v tweets he received were nasty

Same after e3 with world of final fantasy and shenmue 3 the twitter barrage was crazy.

I wonder how he'll try to lure in some of those franchises with japan xbox sales so low.

It's not just the sales in Japan, it's also the past sales performance of Japanese games on MS consoles outside of Japan which is causing Japanese publishers to ignore the X1.

Really, anyone who loves Japanese games but is an MS fanboy should really look at last gen's trend after 2009 to see that they are a minority.

Then again, they also have no one to blame other than MS for abandoning Mistwalker and pretty much killing off their first party jrpg development.

Juanfp

The situation with Xbox and japanese game is dificult, from what we are seeing the xbox will not get support for them except some more big games like Final Fantasy.
I think that Xbox must contact the japanese developers and offer them to pay the port cost of that games, to try to get some more japanese fanbase in the console, even that they likely end losing money.

Azih

MS just doesn't have a consistent leadership. Each new boss has their own completely different strategies. Mattrick really crippled MS first party though.

Would be far more interesting if Microsoft's first party output wasn't so focused on the Gears/Fable/Forza/Halo cycle.

Why would they not focus on them? They are consistently successful franchises, that are also identified with the xbox brand. Not emphasizing them would be like Activision avoiding mentioning Call of Duty because some people on GAF are critical of the series.

Zaventem

They should have been pushing for this since the days of 360 but it took them a severe loss this gen to even make more exclusives besides their big 3.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I Oh yeah, and in case you're interested, (straight from Wikipedia), here are MS's owned studios (not counting defunct ones):

343 Industries – Halo series.
(Halo IS Xbox but it's not Bungie anymore and after Halo: MCC, even the hardcore Halo fans are at the very least concerned. Halo 5 should be great but it remains to be seen.)

Decisive Games – Working on a "beloved" strategy game
(Hmmm, okay and that "beloved" game would be???? LOL.)

FIT – Holobuilder/Minecraft on Microsoft HoloLens and Xbox One
(FUN)ction Studios – Microsoft HoloLens and Xbox One
Good Science Studio – Kinect Adventures, Kinect Fun Labs, Microsoft HoloLens and Xbox One
Kids and Lifestyle Entertainment – Xbox Fitness
Launchworks - South Park Scott Tenorman's Revenge , South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!
Leap Experience Pioneers – Working on HoloStudio, building your own holograms on Microsoft HoloLens and Xbox One
Microsoft Garage – Voice Commander exclusively for Xbox One
Platform Next Studios – Microsoft HoloLens and Xbox One
SOTA - State of The Art Studios – MARS on Microsoft HoloLens
(Decided to just bunch all of the above together - LOL. Seriously, WTF??? Rare gets replaced by nine different development studious???)

Team Dakota – Project Spark
(Don't care about Project Spark but at least it's a new and innovative IP so I can't say anything negative here.)

Turn 10 Studios – Forza Motorsport series.
(Don't care about Forza but even I know that it's an excellent racing franchise.)

Twisted Pixel Games – The Gunstringer, LocoCycle, The Maw,The Adventures of Captain Smiley 'Splosion Man series
Lift London – Cloud digital games for tablets, Xbox consoles and mobiles
(LOL X2)

Lionhead Studios – Fable series
(Yeah, instead of a brand new traditional Fable game, we get some kind of online MMO or whatever the hell it is??? And where the hell it is??? No one knows.)

Rare Ltd. – Banjo-Kazooie series, Viva Piñata, Kameo: Elements of Power, Conker, Kinect Sports, Sea of Thieves.
(Poor Rare. Were great once. They we stuck making crappy Kinect games and now, they're making some kind of first person MMO??? Really? Out of all their IP's, this is what they decided to do?? UGH.)

Press Play – Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Tentacles, Kalimba
(Decent at best but at least im not laughing out loud this time.)

Mojang – Minecraft
(Yeah, it sells zillions but like my friend used to tell me when I used to play Tetris and Intelligent Qube - "why's it so great, why's it so popular", "it's just BLOCKS"...lol)

The Coalition – Gears of War series
(Gears of War is fucking awesome but Epic is long gone and the developer formerly known as Black Tusk has HUGE shoes to fill.....like with the Halo franchise, Xbox's arguably two biggest franchises are in the hands of questionable developers at best and yeah, everyone knows this is true...I know there's those who hate Bungie and/or Epic Games but come on.....Halo 5 and Gears of War 4 need to be fucking classics and better than the previous games in the franchise...otherwise, even the most loyal fans are going to lost interest and once that happens, it's over and done.)

BigPark – Joy Ride series, Kinect Sports: Season Two
(LOL)

Replies in parenthesis. Sorry and I know that I'll probably get bashed for this but the above doesn't look good at all and even the most loyal and hardcore Xbox fans have to be at the very least concerned especially when it comes to Halo and Gears. Hell, how could any Xbox fan not be?

I know that it has nothing to do with the above list but I can't be the only one who looks at the above list and says..."yeah, it's not good but we have new exclusive IP's in Scalebound and Quantum Break as well as returning IP's such as Crackdown."

I actually like third party exclusives but not when they are those goofy ass timed exclusives. I'm talking stuff like FFX, Remake, Silent Hill 2, Gunvalkyrie, Metal Gear Solid, etc. that were on one console for a considerable amount of time.

He can't rely on special third party deals because it's only going to get more and more expensive to secure titles with PS4 taking over 50% of the WW market. That number is only going to continue to grow.

It's smart because although MS is only known for Gears, Forza and Halo they do have IPs (Crackdown being the obvious example here). They will always get third party titles even if they went as far South as 30% of the market.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
most likely. I don't even think the Spencer changes have then effect yet, minus the big kinect/alwaysonline purge that needed to be done very quickly.

Spencer himself outlined the deal and the reason for it. He felt like they needed an Uncharted beater for this year.

Don't act like he wasn't one of the ones responsible.

He's been at MS the entire time, he's not some new blood come in the fix all the wrong, he's trying to right a damaged ship, but he's also apart of that system and he's apart of many of the issues as well

KAOS

Not really a sound strategy! It just shows were the momentum is at for consoles that can secure exclusive stuff. It wasn't a good look for Sony & Nintendo last gen and it won't be one for MS this gen!

LewieP

Ryse, killer Instinct and Sea of Thieves aren't Xbox exclusives.

I don't believe QB or Sunset Overdrive will remain Xbox exclusive either.

GamerJM

Banned
True that. The check Microsoft would have to write to cover lost PS sales would be massive. It's a solid strategy, but they need some more long-term studios that can consistently pump out diverse titles.

Probably a good time to look at what every Microsoft studio is working on right now:

343 Industries - Halo 5
Team Dakota - Project Spark
Turn 10 Studios - Forza 6
Twisted Pixel Games - New IP
Lionhead Studios - Fable Legends
Rare - Sea of Thieves
Mojang - Minecraft
The Coalition - Gears 4
Press Play - Unknown
Decisive Games - Unknown "Strategy" Game

Add in Remedy (Quantum Break), Armature (ReCore), Platinum (Scalebound), The Behemoth, Certain Affinity (MCC), and Cloudgine (Crackdown), and you've got a pretty strong lineup right there.

This lineup is pretty disappointing to me personally, tbh. Not a whole lot here that appeals to me. Quantum Break is the only must-purchase, then Halo, Gears, Sea of Thieves, and Scalebound are all maybes.

Sydle

Ryse, killer Instinct and Sea of Thieves aren't Xbox exclusives.

I don't believe QB or Sunset Overdrive will remain Xbox exclusive either.

Considering Spencer said at GDC that he wants people to start thinking of themselves as customers of Xbox Live, letting people choose what device they want to play on, I'd suspect it's only a matter of time before a Xbox game release is synonymous with a Windows 10 game release.

KI and SoT have been announced as Windows 10 exclusives. Considering the heavy online component I doubt they'll go anywhere unless they can keep their multiplayer component hooked into Xbox Live.

Walpurgis

Banned
Good choice but it might be too little, too late. They had several years at the end of the 360 gen where they could have easily set up new studios, but they annoyingly didn't and just coasted by. We don't even know if Microsoft will bother with Xbox next gen so this might be way too late.
You thought the Tomb Raider backlash was bad? This one would break the internet and a lot of players would just write the game off of the series like they wrote Tales of Vesperia off (even if the game turned out well). The amount of seething hatred for Phil Spencer and Xbox would probably do more harm than good. Maybe a few people would buy xbones for it but they would hate themselves while doing it.

Fat4all

Banned
I think this "Xbox One only has Halo/Forza/Fable/Gears" has become the same thing as "PS4 as no games", so it's probably pointless respond to most of them, as indicated by pretty much all of the Xbox One threads in the past few months.

It doesn't help that Spencer is quoted saying just that in the very thing in the quote this thread is about. It's not like MS wants to lose that image.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Juanfp

You thought the Tomb Raider backlash was bad? This one would break the internet and a lot of players would just write the game off of the series like they wrote Tales of Vesperia off (even if the game turned out well). The amount of seething hatred for Phil Spencer and Xbox would probably do more harm than good. Maybe a few people would buy xbones for it but they would hate themselves while doing it.

I think he meant to also get a Xbox version, not moneyhat the game,

harSon

Banned
I have no idea how people manage the mental gymnastics it takes to twist Phil Spencer into some maniacal two-faced sleazebag. Dude's one of the nicest, most authentic and likable figures in gaming right now. This whole "he's nothing but empty rhetoric" hogwash that people seem hellbent on hamfisting into the narrative is beyond ridiculous.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Sony took over a decade to get where they were with the PS3, it's not as easy as just flipping a switch and seeing the results in a couple of years.

Sony have a shitload of IPs, especially from the Psygnosis buyout, so I'm not sure what you're going on about. Doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about. The reason why they focus on new IPs isn't because they don't have any old ones they can milk, it's because a) that's been their strategy since they were founded and b) they're a creative focused publisher, which is something they inherited from Sony Music. It's worked out really well for them so far, why would they change it?

Amazing how you took my post as a slight on Sony.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
That's true for Sony and Microsoft.

They're both sitting on unused IPs, I just think Microsoft is sitting on more of them. Not sure why people are getting defensive and taking that as a slight against Sony.

If Sony own 100 IPs and Microsoft owns 80 but Microsoft sits on 60 while Sony sits on 40, who is sitting on more?

God damn some of you.

RexNovis

Banned

The vast majority of these studios are exceedingly small and most are research studios for hololense with a few OC focused studios thrown in for good measure. Their investment in console focused studios has been limited to Coalition Studios who are now a dedicated Gears of War studio and the occasional hire at their existing studios. Nothing about their current studio investment indicates a marked increase in first party commitment.

He's also been up front when they aren't working on something. It's not just lip service.

So what are we to think about when Sony worked with Naughty Dog for 5 years before acquiring them? How about Guerilla, Evolution, Zipper, Studio Liverpool (Psygnosis), SuckerPunch, Cambridge (from the Millenium Interactive acquisition), Media Molecule, and any others I'm forgetting that make up most of Sony's first-party stable?

If you look back at the time between when they started development to when they were acquired there are years between those two events. It seems to me as if Sony likes to make "limp-wristed" investments too before going all in.

I think the big difference here is that gaming has been a core business to Sony for 3+ generations now, so they've been afforded much more freedom in their investments. If you're at all interested to learn about the fight the Xbox team has had to endure in their first generation just listen to the Podcast Unlocked episode with Spencer, Blackley, and Moore. I imagine you're probably aware of the dramatic shift Mattrick imposed in the late 360 years of doubling down on blockbusters, TV, and Kinect.

While they come from different backgrounds, and have different priorities, their approach to investing in new IP is pretty similar.

Sony tends to invest in studios. They basically build them up via collaborative work, heavy investment and creative freedom effectively grooming and growing them before any acquisition takes place. See Q Games and Sucker Punch for example. Then, upon acquisition, they are afforded creative freedom and even greater support to pursue the projects that they want.

Meanwhil, contemporary MS prefers to buy IPs (See Mojang, Gears of War, Bungie with Halo, etc). MS is content to snatch up an ip like minecraft via acquiring the studio then either drop it like a bad habit if it doesn't prove successful for them (Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark) or farm them for all they are worth if they do (Gears, Halo). MS also likes to license development of owned IPs to non owned existing studios rather than commit to investing in their own staff to grow their unproven IP. Their aim here is the creation of a finished project with seemingly no regard for the growth or investment in the studio itself (see Phantom
Dust story or the developer hot potato they did with Crackdown for insight into their development mindset in licensed ip development). The two strategies could not possibly be further from each other.

They're both sitting on unused IPs, I just think Microsoft is sitting on more of them. Not sure why people are getting defensive and taking that as a slight against Sony.

If Sony own 100 IPs and Microsoft owns 80 but Microsoft sits on 60 while Sony sits on 40, who is sitting on more?

God damn some of you.

lol if you really think Sony sits on less than half their ips.

GnawtyDog

Banned
The vast majority of these studios are exceedingly small and most are research studios for hololense with a few OC focused studios thrown in for good measure. Their investment in console focused studios has been limited to Coalition Studios who are now a dedicated Gears of War studio and the occasional hire at their existing studios. Nothing about their current studio investment indicates a marked increase in first party commitment.

Sony tends to invest in studios. They basically build them up via collaborative work, heavy investment and creative freedom effectively grooming and growing them before any acquisition takes place. See Q Games and Sucker Punch for example. Then, upon acquisition, they are afforded creative freedom and even greater support to pursue the projects that they want.

Meanwhil, contemporary MS prefers to buy IPs (See Mojang, Gears of War, Bungie with Halo, etc). MS is content to snatch up an ip like minecraft via acquiring the studio then either drop it like a bad habit if it doesn't prove successful for them (Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark) or farm them for all they are worth if they do (Gears, Halo). MS also likes to license development of owned IPs to non owned existing studios rather than commit to investing in their own staff to grow their unproven IP. Their aim here is the creation of a finished project with seemingly no regard for the growth or investment in the studio itself (see Phantom
Dust story for insight into their development mindset in licensed ip development). The two strategies could not possibly be further from each other.

Q Games is now a Sony owned Studio? Edit: Independent.

Sony and MS sits on a lot of IPs, but the reality a lot of us aren't willing to accept is that some of those IPs are 6-feet-under as far as Sony/MS are concerned.

Be it a combination of the fact that maybe some of those IPs already ran their course, they have no intention of reviving it, or the original creators aren't interested to revisit them any longer, not every IP has a chance at revival.

Mang, I really wish Sony revives Baby Universe! /s

etta

my hard graphic balls
It doesn't help that Spencer is quoted saying just that in the very thing in the quote this thread is about. It's not like MS wants to lose that image.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What image? The image painted by people on forums?
The ones who contribute to 95%+ of those games' sales love their Forza, Halo, Gears and are not people who sit on gaming forums and use lines such as "PS4 has no games" or "Halo/Forza/Gears/Fable is all Xbox has".

This is great because it means more new First Party IPs and a greater breadth and diversity of generally high quality IPs across platforms. Hoarding what should be multi platform games translates to the opposite in real terms.

Biker19

Banned

Well maybe they did try but it didn't happen for whatever reasons. At least I hope they tried. If they are not trying to get those games on the platform that's acread bummer.

Or who knows. Gamescom is soon and a Xbox version might explain the P5 delay.

You guys honestly thought that Japanese 3rd party publishers would put their games on a console which not only has a very low install base, but also in which most JRPG's have proven to not sell well on Xbox platforms (especially after what happened with Xbox 360)?

If anything, they'll look after other Japanese companies first before Western ones (i.e., Sony & Nintendo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom