• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: MS will spend money on marketing and developing Rise of the Tomb Raider

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Why not both? It really makes me feel good to see Microsoft spending all that money on the nfl, and timed exclusives. It tells me that they care about me as a consumer. I hope they keep it up and get nhl deals and maybe buy some more exclusives. It's a good time to be an xbox gamer. Probably going to go pick up a Microsoft surface tablet today to support them.
I went to my gaming PC and just did a Windows Update. That's how much I agree.

Steroyd

How is getting exclusivity for a period of time killing off the competition? Its called business. Hand holding and being friendly isn't going to make them profit. If you haven't noticed lots of game companies are going under or are struggling as its not the same as before, which is why I've said if SE and CD decided to go with this deal it was for a reason.

Lots of people say invest in new IP or bring back old franchises, stop wasting money on things like this but the fact is there is no guarantee that they would do good or make them any kind of profit, so they have to pick and choose.

Yes small and mid tier companies, companies with franchises that can sell in their millions are still here though.

And as you say, it's not the same as before which is why Tomb Raider going timed exclusive goes against the era that we're in.

Shin-Ra

Didn't MS say they were taking PC gaming seriously , or something along those lines, quite recently?
So... paying to keep games away from the PC is their way of treating PC gamers better?
I'm sure Microsoft's DX12 development experience will benefit the PC version greatly.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
At this point, I'm thinking TR2 is going to be a bit like a combination of Ryse/Titanfall.....as with TF, Rise of the Tomb Raider will launch on 360 and the XB1. Also like Titanfall, TR2 will NOT be available on Playstation platforms, but a sequel (call it Tomb Raider 3) will be available on PlayStation platforms, as I think Titanfall 2 will be.

I also believe TR2 will have certain things in common with Ryse as well. ... in terms of Tomb Raider 2 launching later on PC as well as Microsoft assisting with development.

The more I hear about this deal, the less I believe TR2 will ever come to any PlayStation platforms....

From Microsoft's perspective, this was a deal that HAD to be done..... Yes, although that money would be better spent creating new games, Microsoft still doesn't have the experience or expertise to create a game that could go head-to-head against Uncharted 4!

Think about it for a second....of all the announced, potential PS4 hardware-selling games for 2015 that could help damage the XB1 market share, UC4 is by far the biggest threat to the Xbone...and while MS probably cannot create a direct Uncharted-fighter in time for holiday 2015, Square-Enix/Crystal Dynamics certainly can!

In my opinion, TR 2013 is the ONLY game that can be mentioned in the same breath with Uncharted in the 3rd person action-adventure genere....so at a time they are being soundly beaten by the PS4 (with none of Sony's heavy hitters even available, I might add) they need as big a game as possible to help stop the bleeding.

The Halo/Forza/Fable wad has already been shot but that won't be enough......and while Gears is big, that probably their heavy-hitter for 2016.

In the end, although I would prefer to play TR2 on the PS4, I will get it for my Xbone if I have to :/

All console loyalists at some point will have to face a period of time within the industry when their console manufacturer of choice fucks up and they receive endless months of valid criticism on NeoGAF and across the web. It's no worse for Microsoft than it was for Sony, and no worse for both of them than it was for Nintendo. It's just we're a much bigger forum now.

Once you stop associating your identity with how much you love a particular console, it all fades into background and you begin to enjoy the back-and-forth.
This pretty much.

I don't even mind the dogging Sega gets at times (tho the amount of revisionists history that goes on there is annoying, seeing as how they're my favorite console manufacturer and I feel a larger pull to stick up for them vs. the others).

At this point, I'm thinking TR2 is going to be a bit like a combination of Ryse/Titanfall.....as with TF, Rise of the Tomb Raider will launch on 360 and the XB1. Also like Titanfall, TR2 will NOT be available on Playstation platforms,but a sequel (call it Tomb Raider 3) will be available on PlayStation platforms, as I think Titanfall 2 will be. I also believe TR2 will have certain things in common with Ryse as well. ... in terms of Tomb Raider 2 launching later on PC as well as Microsoft assisting with development.

The more I hear about this deal, the less I believe TR2 will ever come to any PlayStation platforms ever....

From Microsoft's perspective, this was a deal that HAD to be done..... Yes, although that money would be better spent creating new games, Microsoft still doesn't have the experience or expertise to create a game that could go head-to-head against Uncharted 4!

Think about it for a second....of all the announced, potential PS4-selling games for 2015 that could help damage the XB1 market share, UC4 is by far the biggest threat to the Xbone...and while MS probably cannot create a direct Uncharted-fighter in time for holiday 2015, Square-Enix/Crystal Dynamics certainly can!

In my opinion, TR 2013 is the ONLY game that can be mentioned in the same breath with Uncharted in the 3rd person action-adventure genere....so at a time they being soundly beaten by the PS4 (with none of Sony's heavy hitters even available, I might add) they need as big a game as possible to help stop the bleeding.

The Halo/Forza/Fable wad has been shot but that won't be enough......and while Gears is big, that probably their heavy-hitter for 2016.

In the end, although I would prefer to play TR2 on the PS4, I will get it for my Xbone if I have to :/
For that to happen they'd have to literally buy full exclusivity, and the backwash from just the timed exclusivity is bad enough. I think in the short run if MS did that anytime soon it'd destroy a lot of XBO momentum for the short term, including what momentum they've already got.

If they're gonna go that route, wait until late summer 2015 to announce.

benny_a

For that to happen they'd have to literally buy full exclusivity, and the backwash from just the timed exclusivity is bad enough. I think in the short run if MS did that anytime soon it'd destroy a lot of XBO momentum for the short term, including what momentum they've already got.

If they're gonna go that route, wait until late summer 2015 to announce.
I think Amir0x hopes that all this egging by every direction with the Tomb Raider deal means the same as with Titranfall happens. MS opens their wallet once more and negotiates a timed exclusive into a full exclusive. ;-)

What came out of the NFL deal?

"Official Console of NFL"
"Some marketing stuff with MS Surface"
"Xbox NFL App"

I'm kinda confident there's some other stuff here and there, but I think that's mostly it. It honestly seems more like a sponsorship deal than anything with actual content substance.

Why not both? It really makes me feel good to see Microsoft spending all that money on the nfl, and timed exclusives. It tells me that they care about me as a consumer. I hope they keep it up and get nhl deals and maybe buy some more exclusives. It's a good time to be an xbox gamer. Probably going to go pick up a Microsoft surface tablet today to support them.
Lol. Long-term there's a level of respect between just buying your way to things and nurturing/creating the things you want, a balance that must be met by any company in any industry to have long-term respect and brand health, and right now MS is clearly heavy-set on the former.

They will not survive this gen by merely spending their way to success.

I think Amir0x hopes that all this egging by every direction with the Tomb Raider deal means the same as with Titranfall happens. MS opens their wallet once more and negotiates a timed exclusive into a full exclusive. ;-)
I thought it would have the opposite effect (for both games), but that's probably going to actually happen. The meltdowns will be glorious.

Amir0x

Banned
Imagine all that added value for the Xbox players. I don't know is bigger. The NFL deal or the hypothetical GTA exclusivity.

Man they should totally buy GTA6 timed exclusive. I mean should have exchanged the NFL deal and gave Take 2 500 million dollars for 3 months exclusivity. Man, that would really be adding so much value to Xbox that they'd probably have to return to the stores and raise the price on all the units by one or two hundred dollars.

I hope for everyone to be very happy with the games they get!

I'll be watching from the sidelines totally not giddy about what this super amazing TR deal means for the franchise. And if they make it full exclusive, Xbox fans deserve it. They got so much ribbing these past year, and that's not really nice is it? Man I bet it'll be such a success this whole deal. >:D

benny_a

I thought it would have the opposite effect (for both games), but that's probably going to actually happen. The meltdowns will be glorious.
6a00d8341bfa1853ef010535d2dc55970b-800wi.jpg

causan

"Official Console of NFL"
"Some marketing stuff with MS Surface"
"Xbox NFL App"

I'm kinda confident there's some other stuff here and there, but I think that's mostly it. It honestly seems more like a sponsorship deal than anything with actual content substance.

What's funny is that at yesterdays Cowboys/Ravens preseason game, they were talking about how the players and coaches are using the Surface on the sidelines to go over plays. And the whole time they were calling the Surfaces "Ipads". I bet Microsoft's marketing team loved that.

Daemul

I can see this happening, and man oh man, the corresponding announcement thread will be a graveyard. I'll be staying out of that one.

What's funny is that at yesterdays Cowboys/Ravens preseason game, they were talking about how the players and coaches are using the Surface on the sidelines to go over plays. And the whole time they were calling the Surfaces "Ipads". I bet Microsoft's marketing team loved that.

Honestly, any hardware company (not named Apple, because they don't need to) should honestly stop trying to force their hardware onto hands of celebrities/sports team/leagues who... aren't actually using them in real life!

It's just pathetic when companies are obviously paying for celebs to pretend like they use their hardware, when minutes later 'sent from my iPad' tweet appears.

Probably hard, but maybe you should find a celebrity that actually likes your product.

benny_a

I can see this happening, and man oh man, the corresponding announcement thread will be a graveyard. I'll be staying out of that one.
Hell no. Give that thread to me:
mgs5bcdefk6u2t.gif

From the most obvious timed exclusivity to the most obvious full exclusivity since Titanfall.
The value added would be so value. :-D

Honestly, any hardware company (not named Apple, because they don't need to) should honestly stop trying to force their hardware onto hands of celebrities/sports team/leagues who... aren't actually using them in real life!

It's just pathetic when companies are obviously paying for celebs to pretend like they use their hardware, when minutes later 'sent from my iPad' tweet appears.

Probably hard, but maybe you should find a celebrity that actually likes your product.
Nathan Fillion might be available.

Riky

$MSFT
I remember as a Saturn owner how I felt when Tomb Raider 2 was canned for the machine after coming out first on the platform, so I understand the anger. I had a PS though so I got to play the game.

As an X1 owner I would rather they spent the money on making Banjo Threeie myself but I think it probably simply comes down to PS4 having Uncharted in 2015 whilst Gears Of War is probably going to be 2016 earliest, so Microsoft wanted to have Tomb Raider.

I would have thought when the Complete Edition appears with all the DLC it will become multiformat and that will soften the blow.

Amir0x

Banned

I'll be danci-- I mean mourning for all the fans who tragically lost access to such a stellar follow-up to one of the best games of 2013! :D

Solid grab for MS. The outcry seems a little to biased based on the saltiness I have read. I have a hard time seeing the difference in this and the Sony-From partnership on the Souls spinoff without having to severely try and split hairs. Also, the vagueness in communication is no different than what is occurring with No Mans Sky on other consoles. 3rd party exclusives have been very good for MS. Even being timed it gives them a (hopefully) solid adventure game (which they severely lack in) to compete with Sony and ND, who are the champion of adventure games.

It's kind of sad how transparent fanboys are. Can you explain why the Xbox 360 was my favorite console last gen and why I spent 98% of all my online time and 90% of all my game purchases on the system? Can you explain why Sunset Overdrive is my number 2 most anticipated game, and Forza Horizon 2 is my number six most anticipated game right now? Can you explain why I intend to get an XBO at $299.99, just the same as I purchased a PS3 for?

Clearly it's because you are such a dedicated MS-hater that you are willing to spend years and $s just so that you can claim neutrality. :)

Solid grab for MS. The outcry seems a little to biased based on the saltiness I have read. I have a hard time seeing the difference in this and the Sony-From partnership on the Souls spinoff without having to severely try and split hairs. Also, the vagueness in communication is no different than what is occurring with No Mans Sky on other consoles. 3rd party exclusives have been very good for MS. Even being timed it gives them a (hopefully) solid adventure game (which they severely lack in) to compete with Sony and ND, who are the champion of adventure games.

Sony owns Bloodborne.
There is no vagueness on what's happening on No Man's Sky. They're developing for PS4 first because they're a small team. They're going to do other platforms later. This has been said.

New IP
New IP
Sequel to multiplatform game that sold more on PS consoles

One of these things is not like the other.

p3tran

Banned
anyway, I totally approve microsoft's move in various levels
-being aggressive when some months ago we all were sure that this is the generation that there will be no third party exclusives (pc = ps4 = xbox)
-making sure that the next tomb raider I play will at least be bigger and better than the previous one
-fueling the console wars by burning up money. I am pretty sure that this overall is good as it creates competition. now, people may yell and cry, but they still are gaining through this.

for example, I'm willing to bet that the next uncharted will have the sexiest, most beautiful female co-protagonist that sony has ever created :) and of course they will do much more than just that. they have to.
plus, all the shit going down when both games hit... that will be epic fun! fun that wouldnt happen unless it was played like this. ah, and business for the surrounding businesses.. strong topics move ads, gather clicks etc. basically everyone should be happy.
plus, like miles said above, maaaaybe ms is sending a ..calm message. maybe this message gets more intense later on. which is even more power to us gamers. not only for what they (ms) do, but even more because of what the competition will (have to) do, too.

As an X1 owner I would rather they spent the money on making Banjo Threeie myself but I think it probably simply comes down to PS4 having Uncharted in 2015 whilst Gears Of War is probably going to be 2016 earliest, so Microsoft wanted to have Tomb Raider.

But the funny thing is MS....already has Quantum Break. When they first revealed that I thought it was a character-driven 3rd-person action-adventure game, much like Uncharted. I actually thought that was their answer (of sorts) to Uncharted.

Maybe it still is or it never was, but I think it's a bit telling nothing new's been shown of that game at E3 or Gamescon, and surely won't at TGS. Maybe their confidence in it has dwindled.

-being aggressive when some months ago we all were sure that this is the generation that there will be no third party exclusives (pc = ps4 = xbox)
No one ever said this. No one even ever thought this.

anyway, I totally approve microsoft's move in various levels
-making sure that the next tomb raider I play will at least be bigger and better than the previous one
-fueling the console wars by burning up money. I am pretty sure that this overall is good as it creates competition. now, people may yell and cry, but they still are gaining through this.

for example, I'm willing to bet that the next uncharted will have the sexiest, most beautiful female co-protagonist that sony has ever created :) and of course they will do much more than just that. they have to.
plus, all the shit going down when both games hit... that will be epic fun! fun that wouldnt happen unless it was played like this. ah, and business for the surrounding businesses.. strong topics move ads, gather clicks etc. basically everyone should be happy.
plus, like miles said above, maaaaybe ms is sending a ..calm message. maybe this message gets more intense later on. which is even more power to us gamers. not only for what they (ms) do, but even more because of what the competition will (have to) do, too.
This is not sustainable. Unless you want the price of gaming to increase.

p3tran

Banned
This is not sustainable. Unless you want the price of gaming to increase.

if you havent noticed, price of gaming has increased, one way or the other.
last gen at this point in time, we were all in shock because of horse armour. just think about that for a minute.

at least let my fun increase along with the cost, too

Amir0x

Banned
But the funny thing is MS....already has Quantum Break. When they first revealed that I thought it was a character-driven 3rd-person action-adventure game, much like Uncharted. I actually thought that was their answer (of sorts) to Uncharted.

Maybe it still is or it never was, but I think it's a bit telling nothing new's been shown of that game at E3 or Gamescon, and surely won't at TGS. Maybe their confidence in it has dwindled.

Hm we got a huge gameplay demo of Quantum Break at Gamescom? Or do you mean Uncharted?

Edit: my god why can't I fall asleep... been like 40 hours awake now :(

benny_a

if you havent noticed, price of gaming has increased, one way or the other.
last gen at this point in time, we were all in shock because of horse armour. just think about that for a minute.

at least let my fun increase along with the cost, too
I think the video game industry world would be better if people like you who cheer for platform holder stuffing the pockets of multiplatform publishers didn't actually exist.

Imagine a world where you had to actually create games, instead of limiting game releases.

In your world view the total amount of games not changing is a win and fun to you, where as in my world view the total number of games should increase. Luckily on a whole GAF seems think that actually funding games is preferable when you look at Game of the Year votings.

Sony owns Bloodborne.
There is no vagueness on what's happening on No Man's Sky. They're developing for PS4 first because they're a small team. They're going to do other platforms later. This has been said.

Oh hell, its a spinoff of the souls series with a different name. It would be like Mass Effect having a spinoff and being bought by MS. THe outcry would be the exact same as it is for TR.

Also, No Mans Sky devs have specifically stated they will not discuss it coming to Xbox or Wii. It has never been stated "they are going to develop for it at a later time". It is purposefully vague. These guys are under contracts, just like CD is.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
"Similar 2 what we did on Dead Rising," so maybe a PC version ~6 months later?

EDIT: unless he's talking about the first Dead Rising which only ever got a Wii version a long time later (could be forgetting a port or two).

Dead Rising 1 never came out on PC!

Edit: I missed your edit way after you made it. I'm blind lol

Daemul

I'm not sure anymore what the precise rules are on bets, only that we can't expect mods to enforce them or anything.

What would be the parameters of such a bet?

We'd have to give a sales number for Rise of Tomb Raider on XBO for the first three months? Are we counting Xbox 360's sales in this category as well? Do we combine he two?

Is there some percentage difference we can gauge illustrating what they sold multiplatform with TR2013 versus what they sold on only two platforms (XBO/360)?

If I was organising it, I would ask for predictions for Tomb Raider sales in their first NPD period or for predictions for Tomb Raider sales in the SE quarterly earnings report, which would include the rest of the world instead of just the US. I'm leaning toward's waiting for the SE quarterly report though.

We would have to count the 360's sales aswell, unless Square themselves divide them, a sale is a sale afterall, and if damage is done to the brand as a result to the deal, then 360 sales will also be affected.

I don't know if it would be possible to get official individual SKU numbers fro TR2013 from Square, I see numbers being banded about, but they seem to be taken from the site that should not be named, so I got nothing.

As for prediction guidelines, we know per MS's Gamescom conference that TR2013 has sold over 7m copies, so that can give people wanting to take part in the avatar bet a useful tool in coming up with their predictions.

p3tran

Banned
I think the video game industry world would be better if people like you who cheer for platform holder stuffing the pockets of multiplatform publishers didn't actually exist.

Imagine a world where you had to actually create games, instead of limiting game releases.

In your world view the total amount of games not changing is a win and fun to you, where as in my world view the total number of games should increase. Luckily on a whole GAF seems think that actually funding games is preferable when you look at Game of the Year votings.

well, I can imagine and hope for World Peace too, but that doesnt mean I dont have a clue about how the world works today. same with gaming business.

microsoft ups the ante, one way or the other. thats the story. everything else, gravy for me.

Reading the reasons why people think this is a good thing is like watching someone trying to spin yarn but without having any yarn to spin so they're just grabbing whatever else they think will work with the spinner.

I don't suppose we're ever going to stop getting "salty" posts despite the fact that this has little to nothing to do about console bias. I'm getting an Xbox One well before this game comes out and I, as a consumer, don't feel as though this deal is getting me anything remotely special. I thought the first game was pretty good, but getting to play it before people isn't something I find to be a privilege and as someone getting an Xbox One I would much rather prefer it if Microsoft spent the money on more interesting things than just putting a multiplatform game on the console first.

On top of that, I already got the definitive version of the game on PS4; that's where my "series progress" and trophies and stuff are, so even if I had both consoles I would still wait it out for the PS4 version. Nothing to do with bias, it's just that I got the first one on PS4 because of its performance and I can probably expect similar things with the sequel.

benny_a

well, I can imagine and hope for World Peace too, but that doesnt mean I dont have a clue about how the world works today. same with gaming business.

microsoft ups the ante, one way or the other. thats the story. everything else, gravy for me.
There is a difference between hoping for something, realizing the realities and actively cheerleading such moves.

You admit you fall into the latter group.

Hm we got a huge gameplay demo of Quantum Break at Gamescom? Or do you mean Uncharted?

Edit: my god why can't I fall asleep... been like 40 hours awake now :(
Whoops I might've missed that x3. Tbh I've only kept w/ the Gamescon stuff around here and I didn't see anything on Quantum Break pop up.

EDIT: Jeez man you need some sleep btw. Unless you're marathoning for a Guinness record.

Oh hell, its a spinoff of the souls series with a different name. It would be like Mass Effect having a spinoff and being bought by MS. THe outcry would be the exact same as it is for TR.
No it hasn't. You must not remember that Bloodborne thread, thing was huge and was all hype (and speculation). The response to Bloodborne has been universally positive pretty much everywhere.

And that's b/c (in addition to being part of a series of great games) it started development as a PS4 exclusive with a Sony-owned IP, not as a multi-platform game that became a timed exclusive that then became a partially-funded timed-maybe-full exclusive.

Tommy DJ

Bloodborne is actually published by Japan Studio. Presumably they are actually funding the development and working with From Software. Just like what they did with Demon's Souls.

In fact, you're literally saying that Demon's Souls' exclusivity deal is exactly the same as this Tomb Raider deal. Do you honestly believe that?

You're cheerleading a move that actually benefits no one. There's zero evidence that Microsoft's involvement will actually make this Tomb Raider game better, since its presumably been in multiplatofrm development for a while with some things already set in stone, and all this deal does it throw money around. Think for a second: it actually benefits no one because the money isn't creating anything. The game was always going to be created: the only difference is that it will no longer be on two platforms and that Microsoft will be footing some of the marketing budget. It was always going to exist, presumably in the same form as it always was. I'm not entire convinced that new assets and scenarios will be included into the base game with the extra support that Microsoft is likely going to provide.

p3tran

Banned
There is a difference between hoping for something, realizing the realities and actively cheerleading such moves.

You admit you fall into the latter group.

no, only if you try and cut only one of the things I said, and focus on that. but go ahead, if that makes you feel better.

benny_a

no, only if you try and cut only one of the things I said, and focus on that. but go ahead, if that makes you feel better.
You have said your fun increases by Microsoft burning up money.

It's all there for everyone to read.

OTOH my fun increases by Microsoft funding risky video games.

Amir0x

Banned
Whoops I might've missed that x3. Tbh I've only kept w/ the Gamescon stuff around here and I didn't see anything on Quantum Break pop up.

Yup, check it out here. Very impressive looking for an XBO game, it and Sunset Overdrive are some of the best looking games on the platform. Not really sold on the gameplay yet but it shows potential for sure.

EDIT: Jeez man you need some sleep btw. Unless you're marathoning for a Guinness record.

I've tried everything, it really feels like I'm exhausted to the end of my rope and yet still can't sleep. It's like I'm trapped in my mind or something, it's an awful feeling. I popped a sleeping pill and everything earlier and if anything it made me more awake. For the past month and a half I've been barely sleeping for like half of every week now, basically I just keep staying awake until I collapse and sleep for 14 hours. It's the worst. The worst.

I feel like total shit right now and my doctor is off on Sunday :(

pixlexic

Banned
I guess they needed something to battle Uncharted 4 badly.

no its not about one game. Its about building up the library of exclusive content to release along side of halo5. That is a big focus holiday for MS and the XBONE. They want to make the most attractive package as possible.

Top Bottom