• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "Not a fan of marketing deals with exclusive content"

Did you miss all the "Console Launch Exclusive" bullshit in the MS press conference? They're still pulling the same shit, paying for timed third party exclusivity. Phil's complaints about companies cutting out bits of content in multiplatform games rings completely hollow when Microsoft is splashing cash around to keep entire games away from competition for undisclosed amounts of time.

This.

gamer0890

Neo Member
With regards to Tomb Raider and Titanfall, didn't Microsoft actually bankroll some of the production? I thought at least in Titanfall's case, the game would not have happened without Microsoft support.

I could be wrong of course

Titanfall was a classic case of what I like to call "John Riccitello-era EA." By all accounts, nobody had any reason to doubt Microsoft would continue to sell a shitload of consoles when their new one hit, so EA made Titanfall console exclusive to the One with the assumption that Microsoft would keep bringing in the gamers.

Then E3 2013 happened, Don Mattrick basically pissed everyone off with his stupid smug face and attitude and the rest is history. It was likely too late/contract couldn't be altered, so EA was left with a game that couldn't be released on the more popular platform.

The funniest part of the whole XBO reveal info is that the publishers would have benefited most from the used game restrictions, so it's likely they were supportive of Microsoft's (or even actively encouraged it) plans. I'll never forget Peter Moore's interview with Gametrailers where he couldn't wait to slip away once they started asking him about the used games thing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-12-the-big-interview-xbox-boss-phil-spencer

Part of the big Eurogamer interview. This is indeed a worrying trend IMO, at least content that is permanently locked away from other platforms.

He sounds like a sore loser. Not that MS lost they are doing fine, but whatever, business is business. Welcome to America and capitalism.

I sure don't see him knocking EA for their exclusive NFL agreement, or MS for their exclusive NFL agreement... what ever to buying it.

Did you miss all the "Console Launch Exclusive" bullshit in the MS press conference? They're still pulling the same shit, paying for timed third party exclusivity. Phil's complaints about companies cutting out bits of content in multiplatform games rings completely hollow when Microsoft is splashing cash around to keep entire games away from competition for undisclosed amounts of time.

What's bullshit about announcing to your audience that these games will come to XBOX console first? ID@XBOX is a thing.

I'll eat my hat if Anthem doesn't get exclusive Xbox content.

Quoting for posterity

the210

I think some of you guys are being obtuse here.

The Destiny deal specifically has Xbox players paying the exact same price as PlayStation players, yet content held back for a year, if they delivered that promised content, it would still be missing the actual exclusive content that will never come... all for the same price.

Beyond that, Bungie said they were going to deliver certain content after a year of exclusivity and then fucking changed their minds at the end of the year and delayed it another year (Taken King).

Somehow thats okay?

What are the odds they don't do the same thing again with Rise of Iron? What about Destiny 2 content?

Why should they have to pay the same price for less content for a year then lied to about when you receive part of it? Someone, go ahead and justify that, I'll wait.

Sony is paying them to make that content though. If they are paying for an extra strike why shouldn't it be exclusive? Face the facts the only thing stopping MS from doing more of these deals is the lack of xbox console sales.

Shogun413

amen! :) ...

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

Wow this chart is pretty damning...

Dizagaox

Yeah they're just getting no content...so much better. Both are shitty practices trying to defend one against the other is ridiculous.
Xbox console launch exclusivity is worse, because it actually stops PS4 players from experiencing third party games outright for up to a year.

The exclusives for Sony are hardly AAA stuff, and Xbox gamers still get to have the game.

Dizagaox

He's just upset no franchises want to partner up with Xbox. It has afterall thrown two AAA franchises into limbo: Titanfall 2 was DOA because the first was Xbox only and Rise of the Tomb Raider never stood a chance. Both deserved better. Both deserved Sony.

I think what people are completely missing is that someone can not be a fan of something, but still be obligated to do it by necessity for the success of their company. He may or may not have the final say in these deals, but regardless can still dislike the practice even while still using it.

This quote is going to come back and bite him on his ass one day
I just laugh at all the pretend outrage because of something Spencer says. Like get over it. Continue playing your awesome Playstation games and get a grip. The butthurt by some people is sort of hilarious. Something that does not have any affect on their lives - namely people who don't own or want to own an xbox - by a company that is getting obliterated sales-wise by Sony, and there is this need to defend the Playstation, or at least a need to make sure everyone hears how offended they are by common PR speak. I guess he really gets to some of you.

I think what people are completely missing is that someone can not be a fan of something, but still be obligated to do it by necessity for the success of their company. He may or may not have the final say in these deals, but regardless can still dislike the practice even while still using it.

I just laugh at all the pretend outrage because of something Spencer says. Like get over it. Continue playing your awesome Playstation games and get a grip. The butthurt by some people is sort of hilarious. Something that does not have any affect on their lives - namely people who don't own or want to own an xbox - by a company that is getting obliterated sales-wise by Sony, and there is this need to defend the Playstation, or at least a need to make sure everyone hears how offended they are by common PR speak. I guess he really gets to some of you.
You know what we call that behavior, saying one thing and doing another? Hypocrisy.

And if you think he's not in control of these decisions, he'll NEVER be in control of these decisions. Who is above him that would make deviations like this of such minor scope to a corporation as big as MS?

I'm also glad that you want everyone to stop picking on Phil because we're just butthurt. I guess I didn't realize a personal wrong had to be committed before we could discuss what a prominent figure in the games industry says on a video game forum.

Melchiah

amen! :) ...

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

And that right there points out they're not going to stop on relying timed 3rd party exclusives. If there aren't some new major 1st party games in the making behind the scenes, they just can't compete against what the other two platforms offer. They really should have done what Sony did last gen, when they faced the same problem with dwindling 3rd party support, and increase their 1st party efforts considerably. Before that Sony was in the same ditch, and personally I didn't really care much about their 1st party offerings on the PS1/2, apart from WipEout. It all changed, when they started building a library of their own.

I think some of you guys are being obtuse here.

The Destiny deal specifically has Xbox players paying the exact same price as PlayStation players, yet content held back for a year, if they delivered that promised content, it would still be missing the actual exclusive content that will never come... all for the same price.

Beyond that, Bungie said they were going to deliver certain content after a year of exclusivity and then fucking changed their minds at the end of the year and delayed it another year (Taken King).

Somehow thats okay?

What are the odds they don't do the same thing again with Rise of Iron? What about Destiny 2 content?

Why should they have to pay the same price for less content for a year then lied to about when you receive part of it? Someone, go ahead and justify that, I'll wait.

What about FIFA 17 Legends and BF4 exclusive content on XBO?

xabbott

As far as "console launch exclusives" sounds like he isn't buying timed exclusives. Maybe they are incentivising development priority on XB1? Otherwise, if you're small you probably go for the bigger install base. The only other reason I could see someone going XB1 first is the preview program.

He's a clip from the interview: https://streamable.com/z3ndu
Full interview is on Youtube, 15:45 mins in.

longdi

Banned
Wow this chart is pretty damning...

Spencer has been the GM of their (bring us new)games division for an eternity. Yet the biggest achievement listed on his resume was brokering the NFL TV deal.

But yeah poor Phil, the people upstairs are pulling his strings so no amount of gamer-tee can help gamer-phil. Ghost of Don still lingers..:(

Atomski

Wtf ms started this shit last gen and still continue to do it.

Spencer is full of shit
Was spencer head then? Seems like a lot has changed since the 360 and the terrible xbone launch.

Crossplay with Nintendo
Almost all games on PC

Not the MS I remember..

Melchiah

No longer applicable, since (as far as has been announced) no exclusive content will be in either FIFA 18 or BF1.

FIFA 17 was released in last September, after Destiny with its exclusive content, that's a pretty short time to have a change of heart.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As far as "console launch exclusives" sounds like he isn't buying timed exclusives. Maybe they are incentivising development priority on XB1? Otherwise, if you're small you probably go for the bigger install base. The only other reason I could see someone going XB1 first is the preview program.

He's a clip from the interview: https://streamable.com/z3ndu
Full interview is on Youtube, 15:45 mins in.

How do you 'incentivise' xb1 development when you are the minority market share? Money or marketing (which is the same as money). Not really any different from buying exclusivity

longdi

Banned
Was spencer head then? Seems like a lot has changed since the 360 and the terrible xbone launch.

Crossplay with Nintendo
Almost all games on PC

Not the MS I remember..
He was the head of xbox games division, those guys that were supposed to bring in the games, discover new IPs etc.

Just watch MS 2013 e3 conference and read all the follow up interviews, you will see how Phil was in such a prominent position, and why many of us are calling him out on his good-gamer act.

But nonono, its all down to evil Don.

Head.spawn

Sony is paying them to make that content though. If they are paying for an extra strike why shouldn't it be exclusive? Face the facts the only thing stopping MS from doing more of these deals is the lack of xbox console sales.

My post said nothing about getting PS exclusive content on Xbox.

What about FIFA 17 Legends and BF4 exclusive content on XBO?

I'm talking about "timed" DLC that was supposed to be there after a year and still isn't on Xbox One after almost two years. If thats how they intend on handling things with Destiny 2, it's certainly a shitty situation.

FIFA 17 was released in last September, after Destiny with its exclusive content, that's a pretty short time to have a change of heart.

They signed a 4-year contract at the start of the generation. Fifa 14-17. With the marketing most likely going to Sony for the next 4 years.

alt27

Im not outraged, just laughing at his shortsightedness. I couldnt care less about exclusives on one platform or the other, but to pretend xbox will never do these type of deals again is laughable. And just cos I have a playstation does not mean I cant comment on industry wide practices. Chill

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

While I bemoaned that shifty wording myself, the console launch exclusive games weren't any of the AAAs. They were indies. Much like how the PS4 had many indies launch first at the start of the gen and then later on Xbox One.

Now, I'm aware that Microsoft had the parity clause which would have been preventing many games from coming to Xbox day and date, but I don't believe Microsoft is moneyhatting indies off of PS4.

Since what? Dead Rising 4?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dead-rising-4-is-a-timed-exclusive-for-xbox-one-an/1100-6440999/

"'Dead Rising 4' on Xbox One is developed by Capcom and will be published in partnership with Microsoft. Fans will be able to play 'Dead Rising 4' first on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC this December. It will remain a Windows 10 exclusive for the first 90 days and console exclusive on Xbox One for one year. We've had a close and longstanding relationship with Capcom including the launch of Dead Rising as an Xbox 360 exclusive and Dead Rising 3 as an Xbox One exclusive. We're thrilled to partner with Capcom once again to help bring their ambitious vision for Dead Rising 4 to life."

Good point. Forgot about Dead Rising 4.

Carry on.

border

MS still gets marketing deals, though. They could get exclusive content in BF1 or Assassin's Creed if they wanted. The whole situation just seems like this weird arms race that will only subside if both Sony and MS decide to back off.

border

While I bemoaned that shifty wording myself, the console launch exclusive games weren't any of the AAAs. They were indies. Much like how the PS4 had many indies launch first at the start of the gen and then later on Xbox One.

Yeah, I tend to forgive timed-exclusive indie games because I feel like the developers benefit from only having to focus on 1 platform and at the same time get either a cash infusion or additional exposure from being featured on the E3 main stage.

Spencer has been the GM of their (bring us new)games division for an eternity. Yet the biggest achievement listed on his resume was brokering the NFL TV deal.

But yeah poor Phil, the people upstairs are pulling his strings so no amount of gamer-tee can help gamer-phil. Ghost of Don still lingers..:(

lol your Sony is showing my friend.

Kevin

Wasn't there a rumor awhile back that Microsoft was considering selling the Xbox brand? I am convinced that Microsoft has greatly lowered the allowed budget for the entire Xbox platform and therefore very little money is being spent on first party content and will likely get even worse.

Honestly if the Xbox One X performs as bad as I think it's going to then I feel like this could very well be the last Xbox console. Personally I was hyped for the Xbox One X until I saw that most of the exclusives are online only games. I prefer single player content and don't even have the time to invest in online gaming.

I have owned every single Xbox console since the days of massive MASSIVE hype and love I had for the Halo series. I just feel like there is nothing at all on the Xbox to be excited about. What's worse, I feel that the PS4 has much better looking games on what Microsoft consider an inferior product to the Xbox One X. Anyways these are my thoughts. It's disappointing to see the Xbox brand suffer like this but it is what it is. I really miss stuff like Bungie Halo, Fable, Gears of War, Alan Wake, and other unique content we use to get.

xabbott

How do you 'incentivise' xb1 development when you are the minority market share? Money or marketing (which is the same as money). Not really any different from buying exclusivity

I think it's pretty different but I'm also not sure they had to pay in all cases. I think of like Bayonetta 2. I didn't look at that as Nintendo taking it from other consoles as it wouldn't happen without them. So for a lot of these smaller games they were going to launch on one console anyway. They are just paying to be first instead of second.

However like I said, in some cases, these games are only going to XB1 first because they offer a preview program.

Dynomutt

If Xbox has Sony 1st Parties and a 60 million lead I guarantee were not talking about this. Phil is a boss literally and figuratively when it comes to corporate speak. In reality Adam Boyes leaving Sony sucked. They need someone with that personality to embody a man of the "gamers".

With that said I cannot knock MS for steps taken to improve. The "console exclusive" tag flies in the face of this message but it's all semantics and perspective when the message is dedicated to your fanbase.

Opa-Pa

This is some Onion level shit, lmao. Okay Phil whatever you say.

I'd rather both Sony and MS would stop this nonsense, but if I had to choose one, it'd definitely be MS stopping with their timed exclusives.

TwiztidElf

After E3 2017, checking my watch list, it is unchanged from a Microsoft perspective.
Cuphead day 1. Sea of Thieves a maybe, and Forza7 an even more distant maybe.
Meanwhile it's stacked with Sony and Nintendo exclusives.

gg Microsoft.

xabbott

Wasn't there a rumor awhile back that Microsoft was considering selling the Xbox brand?

Those rumors have been around since they launched. But they did pick up when Satya Nadella was going to take over. Especially when everyone was saying mobile would kill the console market.

Since then though Windows 10 happened. Surface happened. Windows phone failed. So now they're in a spot where not only is Xbox doing well it's one of the only ways they are extending its ecosystem outside of PCs.

Satya has now expressed the value of gaming/xbox brand. That's why they bought Beam and according to Phil on a Gamespot interview (06/13) have given him what he needs to invest in first party stuff. Apparently, something he's waiting to discuss as projects get closer to completion. You can check out this thread for charts, graphs, and quotes.

Kevin

Those rumors have been around since they launched. But they did pick up when Satya Nadella was going to take over. Especially when everyone was saying mobile would kill the console market.

Since then though Windows 10 happened. Surface happened. Windows phone failed. So now they're in a spot where not only is Xbox doing well it's one of the only ways they are extending its ecosystem outside of PCs.

Satya has now expressed the value of gaming/xbox brand. That's why they bought Beam and according to Phil on a Gamespot interview (06/13) have given him what he needs to invest in first party stuff. Apparently, something he's waiting to discuss as projects get closer to completion. You can check out this thread for charts, graphs, and quotes.

Alright cool. Well that makes me a bit more optimistic about the future of the platform. Hopefully we will get some more core game announcements within the coming months.

The Giant

Banned
I love the fact that people are seeing through his bullshit and turning on Phil. I saw through his smug as fuck bullshit years ago.

Aspiring

As much as anyone i too hate this practice but man makes me happy to see gaf call him out on his bullshit and not lap it up. Good on you gaf!

Top Bottom