• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "Not a fan of marketing deals with exclusive content"

kiaaa

Just curious because you brought up demagogy. How do you see digital foundry in a world where most people can't think for themselves and just blindly repeat what more intelligent people want them to believe. Is DF educating the uninformed or just profiting from (and fueling) the console war?

Serious question.
You can just PM me the answer, if you want too. Because this might derail this thread too much.

It's both, but the console wars would be there regardless, so I think DF is a net positive.

oti

Banned
To be clear, I'm not saying that any of this is great.

and one could even argue that timed launch exclusivity is worst than timed content

They are both shit practice. Why even split the hair? It's hypocritical, plain and simple.

Let's be real here. They're very similar.

They're both bad for gamers, and good for platform holders.

Spending money to deliver content or whole games only to your own customers. Not exactly the same, sure, but criticizing one thing while doing the other is indeed hypocrisy.

I think it is. But I guess it is normal and we have to live with it. Reading a statement like the one from Phil after the Timed Exclusive Conference feels like a parodie.

I'm not saying what he sad was good or bad. But Spencer did specify timed exclusive content. I'm just pointing that out.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but Matt's post suggests he was hunting for exactly that in 2017.

That's for Matt to elaborate on if he wants to. As far as I know (?) they didn't announce anything with timed exclusive content? Could just be a comfortable way to make MS look like the good guys. That's for you to decide.

Content deals and launch exclusivity amount to the same thing. Launch exclusives being worse than content exclusives. They're both shitty, of course they are, but content exclusivity is limited to bits of content, whereas launch exclusivity delays the game in its entirety from being released on other platforms.
The thing is, I wonder how many such exclusives are *actual* "launch exclusives" as opposed to their being exclusive out of the necessity of the dev being only able to work on one version at a time... (which Sony and MS then spin into launch exclusive/exclusive BS.)

I'm with you.
For me timed exclusive console launches or whatever are damn annoying just as much as held back content.

I don't want to play Tacoma or PUBG after a year of waiting, I want to play them as early as possible.
I feel like it's been held back from me.

Sure maybe MS helped funding etc but we could level the same at Sony paying for the Destiny content to be actually made (it's all messed up).

Phil is a bit hypocrital here, if Xbox was in the lead, he'd be gobbling up every piece of exclusive marketing he could get.

Just own it Phil, this console launch exclusivity is your new path down this road.

J-Rzez

I wonder when it settled in during or perhaps after the interview that he screwed up? Was it when he ordered a french bread pizza with sweet sauce despite saying he's gone carb free?

SenkiDala

Why MS doesn't get that "arrogant MS" thing? :p Because in that case it would absolutly fit. Or this "the PS4 Pro is competiting with the XO S, not the XO X" thing. Ahah.

Every exclusive content or temporary exlusive game/content sucks. :(

oti

Banned
Why MS doesn't get that "arrogant MS" thing? :p Because in that case it would absolutly fit. Or this "the PS4 Pro is competiting with the XO S, not the XO X" thing. Ahah.

Because it's weird to label the clear loser as arrogant.

TBiddy

They said that ddr3+esram is the better solution.

Yes, but that's not what you wrote. Hence the hyperbole part.

So what is it now? Are feelings towards a brand important for consumers? Because you just said that it is important followed by sony doesn't care/is evil too. I still stay by my statement: you only buy something you like and sony is way better in communicating with their audience. Do they care about them on a personal level? No, of course not. But I never made that claim in the first place. All I said is that Microsofts PR statement are terrible and to easy to see through. Even hurting them in the long run.

Which part of my posts are confusing? I'm not a native English speaker, so if there's anything you're having trouble understanding, please say so.

Brand loyalty is important, but as long as you buy their consoles neither Sony nor MS gives a shit about what you think about their policies or how you feel about their game lineup at E3.

Ushay

So its ok to look away whole games for a period of time, but not a weapon or a mission???
These deals make sense for the smaller devs looking to lift off, which this year was pretty much those very same developers.

Tomb Raider or Street Fighter on the other hand? Total bullshit.

But it's not arrogance when he's basically being a massive hypocrite. He's absolutely spinning to try and look good in the media, when anyone with a bit of knowledge or critical thinking will realise he's full of shit.

Just curious because you brought up demagogy. How do you see digital foundry in a world where most people can't think for themselves and just blindly repeat what more intelligent people want them to believe. Is DF educating the uninformed or just profiting from (and fueling) the console war?

Serious question.
You can just PM me the answer, if you want too. Because this might derail this thread too much.

That's an interesting question, especially considering I've been thinking for awhile that one of the reasons X1X exists is to win the DigitalFoundry face off every time. Just to get out from under that dark cloud, and you know damn well it will ripple through every youtube comment section's shitposts and flame wars. It doesn't have to light the world on fire, it just has to be the premium option for any percentage of new or existing customers, and be good for the brand's image. As it should be.

Not because they partnered with them for access, but because the system really will be a beast and who better to communicate the system's advantages... so why wouldn't you tap DF to evangelize your advantages? They'd do it anyway, and it's mutally beneficial. So I don't consider it to be a Polygon documentary kinda thing at all.

I think DF does have the unintended side effect of exactly what you said, or maybe have partly emerged out of it (or at least come to prominence amidst it), but I don't think it's anything more than a natural byproduct of doing something genuine.

They're not noxious people and they tend to give credit wherever credit is due. I think it's mostly a positive force that helps keep standards high, and helps people understand or appreciate polish and performance. It's definitely helped me over the years, and I get a lot out of it, but I also don't really fight - if I don't own something, it's purely because I can't afford everything and can barely keep up with what I already have to play anyway.

DF's retro game coverage especially shows that what they do isn't inherently linked to current states of competition and purchase prospects. The retro game collector market certainly isn't coming to them to price their games... but you know what, I bet great videos like that Soul Calibur one will naturally lead to people looking for a Dreamcast on ebay, and anything dealing with games from an era where Nintendo, Sega and Sony were pitted against each other will drudge up a fight in the comment section about bygone pros and cons.

I think they're doing good in the same way that TotalBiscuit's fixation on PC menus, options, and optimization proliferated a lot of beneficial expectations and standards too. Sure, that guy's passions may consequentially fuel console peasant, master race mentality... AND it may have even been the type of second hand knowledge ammo that lets people make mountains out of molehills and punish games, or exploit infamous refund opportunities because they can cite issues that they didn't actually experience or even really comprehend. I don't think it's deliberate, machiavellian influencing, though. Just collateral consequence.

I don't even think that about Phil Spencer, or Microsoft... I just look at that as business, recognizing what people are already doing, and capitalizing on it. Any company will do that when they can. If it was irresponsibly playing with real fire like politics do, it'd be a problem, but since it's just games, products, and team spirit - it's harmless.

The only consequence any of this stuff ever has, is when it makes things anti-consumer for any of us... paid online, gacha gambling, DRM, and all that BS. That's when you can tell someone their hot air is pollution and take 'em to task for it.

I like Phil but this E3 it feels like he is tossing the bullshit normally left for Greenberg or Major Nelson.

Previously it felt like they wanted to keep Spenser away from the mud slinging and leave that to the PR attack dogs

SenkiDala

But it's not arrogance when he's basically being a massive hypocrite. He's absolutely spinning to try and look good in the media, when anyone with a bit of knowledge or critical thinking will realise he's full of shit.

Well yes, in that case. :p But in the case of "the PS4 pro compete with XO S, not the XO X" it's clearly arrogance to me, a very good exemple of it in fact. :)

... Phil... I remember a time when I believed he might convince me to get an Xbox One (I already own PS4, Wii U and more recently Switch). I don't anymore.. (at least not this gen, I don't think)

Fredrik

Even if Phil wasn't in charge of the previous less popular exclusivity deals he shouldn't say that he dislikes these deals unless he start by saying that he's so sorry for how his predecessors acted.
You don't see Sony mocking MS for the price of Xbox One X. Because they're smarter than that. They know their company history. Phil don't.

Man there are a lot of dumb people on NeoGAF. As much as I don't like Phil, he already said on the Gamespot interview that the Tomb Raider deal was done before he took over.

ff_13_xbox_360_01.jpg

rise_of_the_tomb_raider_xbox_one_ce.jpg

He said those deals were in place before he took over.

SenkiDala

Man there are a lot of dumb people on NeoGAF. As much as I don't like Phil, he already said on the Gamespot interview that the Tomb Raider deal was done before he took over.

All the "First on Xbox" from the conference of this 2017 E3, Don Mattrick? again? Sure...

But yeah, Philly is your deep friend. :p

Yeah, okay. So what about the deal for Dead Rising 4, which came out by my reckoning about 33 months after he took over as head of Xbox? Was that done before Poor Innocent Phil's tenure as well? What about The Division or Anthem? What about the conference a few days ago which was rife with questionable use of the word 'Exclusive'. I guess Evil Don is to blame for all that as well?

Lom1lo

All the "First on Xbox" from the conference of this 2017 E3, Don Mattrick? again? Sure...

A timed exclusive is not always paid ? If you know that they paid for those in their conference please share it. We dont have the details.

I imagine that most of those smaller studios cant afford both plattforms at a time, so some choose to do xbox first and some choose playstation first. Nothing wrong with that ?

Pandy

People in this thread failing to distinguish between blocking content in a game you've paid for and blocking a game from sale on another platform meaning you haven't paid for anything.

SMH

oti

Banned
... Phil... I remember a time when I believed he might convince me to get an Xbox One (I already own PS4, Wii U and more recently Switch). I don't anymore.. (at least not this gen, I don't think)

You remember a time when a brand manager might had convince you to buy his product???

Midas

I can't stop laughing at Phil's post E3 BS statements. It feels like 2013 all over again.

Yeah, it's hilarious. Combined with Ryan's comments from Sony, this years E3 delivered on weird statements and comments, where it failed to deliver new games.

TBiddy

People in this thread failing to distinguish between blocking content in a game you've paid for and blocking a game from sale on another platform meaning you haven't paid for anything.

SMH

Reading comprehension isn't a requirement for getting outraged. The amount of concern trolling in any threads regarding MS is staggering.

GHG

Gold Member
Reading comprehension isn't a requirement for getting outraged. The amount of concern trolling in any threads regarding MS is staggering.

No, the only thing that's staggering is the relentless defence force from fanboys. And that goes for all the ridiculous shit that's come out during the last couple of days over E3 from all manufacturers.

It will be ok if you admit there is something wrong, your precious box won't delete your account and prevent you from playing your favourite games anymore.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Hmmmm

Originally Posted by Phil Spencer regarding Tomb Raider exclusivity said:
In part is it about having an answer to Uncharted 4? The comparison between the last Tomb Raider and Uncharted has been made.

Phil Spencer: Totally. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and I wish we had an action adventure game of that ilk. We've started some, and we've looked at them. But we don't have one today of that quality. This is an opportunity.

People push me as the content guy, shouldn't it all be about the content you're building? I want to own all of the hits on our platform. Well, not all of them - that's too much. But I want to have a stable of hits on our platform that we own. Absolutely. That's fundamental to us having a successful platform. When a unique opportunity comes up, I've got to go look at that. And this was a unique opportunity.

Yeah, okay. So what about the deal for Dead Rising 4, which came out by my reckoning about 33 months after he took over as head of Xbox? Was that done before Poor Innocent Phil's tenure as well? What about The Division or Anthem? What about the conference a few days ago which was rife with questionable use of the word 'Exclusive'. I guess Evil Don is to blame for all that as well?

Ummm because exclusive content isn't the same thing as an exclusive game or getting the game as a timed exclusive. I mean you have a brain, its not hard to tell the two apart.

SMH

Which I find funny because GAF likes to portray itself as the intelligent forum of the internet, but yet majority of the posters in this topic alone are just as bad or even worse than a poster on Gamefaqs.

Ok fair enough but still time exclusive game =/= time exclusive content. It's not the same thing.

TBiddy

No, the only thing that's staggering is the relentless defence force from fanboys. And that goes for all the ridiculous shit that's come out during the last couple of days over E3 from all manufacturers.

It will be ok if you admit there is something wrong, your precious box won't delete your account and prevent you from playing your favourite games anymore.

It goes both ways. On the one hand you have a large amount of "concerned" posters posting ridiculous things, which then triggers a response from the fanboys to defend their console of choice.

Examples could be "There's no games for the XBOX. I'm not gonna buy it." or "Sony!!! No crossplay, no buy!!". Or perhaps "<insert name of public figure here> is an idiot. Full of bullshit." You, me and everyone else knows that rapid fanboys are never going to buy the console made by the enemy. And if they did, they would never admit it.

I highly enjoyed my PS3, even though I'm biased towards MS. I'm also sad that I can't play Uncharted, TLoU or some of the other great exclusives that Sony has, and I'd wish that MS did more in that regard. But even though I'm biased towards MS, you'd rarely (I'd like to think never) see me in threads regarding Sony or PS stirring up shit.

Which I find funny because GAF likes to portray itself as the intelligent forum of the internet, but yet majority of the posters in this topic alone are just as bad or even worse than a poster on Gamefaqs.

True. But on the whole, it's usually a small minority of regulars doing the shit-stirring (?). I'd still regard GAF as a better place for discussions than most other forums.

Gotta love these comments by Phil Spence. He's delivering talking points to the various Xbox minions out there that would actually follow his comments. The real question is, why is he apparently a fan of stoking fanboy fires? This is so silly.

panda-zebra

Banned

SMH

What? Both practices could involve spending or not, there's no fixed rule in either case. Deals to delay content appearing on other platforms are shitty. Deals to prevent whole games being delayed on other platforms are shitty. Both these kinds of deals might come at a cost to the platformholder or not, instead they might involve promotional advantages to the producers or not (such as appearing at a presser with a large audience, for example). There's also ways of wording these things in terms of being paid to create exclusive content rather than slicing off a chunk of a game for exclusivity... they both amount to the same thing for us gamers, but we rarely get to know exactly what was agreed. Therefore, singling one practise out as being a bit shitty while actively participating in the other is rightly seen as hypocritical. No amount of shaking your head will negate this fact.

Couple this comment with the Pro being a direct competitor to the S rather than the X because X is "True 4K" after a year's worth of " true 4K/purest pixels" rhetoric and the questionable icon use on the website indicating "4K Ultra HD" content could equally well be CBR or dynamically scaled, and it's not all that difficult to see why people are questioning the guy's integrity.

It's understandable in a way, if not excusable: he's chosen this path of a year later with more power for the mid-gen refresh, we can witness his confidence (some might prefer arrogance) when we take a look at the wall of cringe at E3 "Almost unfair. Terrifying clarity. Feel every pixel.". Yet there's no denying the outright disappointment and even upset at the $499 pricing. Add to this the reaction to a conference of game after game with plenty of timed "exclusives" that failed to offer much in the way of really compelling and excitingly unexpected first party exclusives to give confidence in the platform going forward, OG XB backwards compatibility being the one true moment of excitement. It's gotta hurt that, I think he's truly fucked off with the whole thing and feels a bit like his parade has been pissed on somewhat. Leading up to E3 and thinking you'd ticked all the boxes, set the master plan in place, only to be met with something of a muted response sprinkled with a dose of backlash... poor guy. So coming out swinging and rallying the troops, yep, totally get it. But the way it's done, with actions that do little to further his image as Good Guy Phil, while as I say can be seen as understandable and might feel good as a tension release to blurt out, unfortunately ain't doing much for the greater cause in the eyes of those whose veins don't run green.
Speaking of which...

Disagreeing with actions and not buying into an offered view of the state of play is not concern trolling. Paranoid-looking blanket statements do little to further the conversation.

Floody

SMH

Both involve blocking content on other platforms, big difference is one usually just involves mostly forgettable content you can go without the other is a full game.
Both suck for the most part, unless it's caused by a small team having to prioritize 1 platform over another, which is understandable.

Regardless Xbox under Phil has done both (people have already pointed out The Division was first shown with DS4's pointing to no MS marketing deal at that point) and he's just being a hypocrite trying to come across as some good guy who is above it.

Kayant

Ummm because exclusive content isn't the same thing as an exclusive game or getting the game as a timed exclusive. I mean you have a brain, its not hard to tell the two apart.
Games are "content" also you know. In practice it may be difference in principal it isn't and still has the negatives he mentions in the OP. Trying to dismiss one aspect whilst practicing the other may not be hypocritical but it also isn't truly representative of things.

Ok fair enough but still time exclusive game =/= time exclusive content. It's not the same thing.

As someone posted earlier: fine don't buy the game until the DLC comes to Xbox. There now you have your times exclusive game which you seem to think is a ok.

GHG

Gold Member
It goes both ways. On the one hand you have a large amount of "concerned" posters posting ridiculous things, which then triggers a response from the fanboys to defend their console of choice.

Examples could be "There's no games for the XBOX. I'm not gonna buy it." or "Sony!!! No crossplay, no buy!!". Or perhaps "<insert name of public figure here> is an idiot. Full of bullshit." You, me and everyone else knows that rapid fanboys are never going to buy the console made by the enemy. And if they did, they would never admit it.

I highly enjoyed my PS3, even though I'm biased towards MS. I'm also sad that I can't play Uncharted, TLoU or some of the other great exclusives that Sony has, and I'd wish that MS did more in that regard. But even though I'm biased towards MS, you'd rarely (I'd like to think never) see me in threads regarding Sony or PS stirring up shit.

True. But on the whole, it's usually a small minority of regulars doing the shit-stirring (?). I'd still regard GAF as a better place for discussions than most other forums.

Let me be clear about one thing. Some of us who you might deem to be "concerned" might genuinely be concerned and have a right to be.

If I see Phil Spencer say some bullshit, I can say it's bullshit.

If I see that Microsoft are not doing enough in terms of 1st party I can say so.

If I see them marketing things in a misleading way they will get called out on it.

If I feel the UI is lacking based on my tastes and what I deem to be user friendly or not, I can say so.

I bought the console partly for Forza and partly under good faith that there would be other good stuff coming. I'm also giving them money on a monthly basis for Xbox Live, a service I barely ever use. They have largely delivered as far as Forza is concerned, but they can still do better in certain areas there and I will say so in the relevant Forza threads. But everything else? Everything has been a joke to be honest with you.

As somebody who is currently invested in the platform and as somebody who largely had a great time with the Xbox 360 (and hence knows what "good" looks like from Microsoft) I have a right to make my voice heard and to voice my opinion on things concerning the platform. I'd be lying if I said I was sorry that it hurt your or anybody else's feelings on this board. Microsoft watch this board, like they watch many others, they will only make necessary and relevant changes if we are giving honest feedback. They are not your friends, we are their customers.

Zok310

Banned
MS need to get rid of this guy, he has no competitive spirit which he is clearly admitting to.
How else are you going to differentiate your console from Nin and Sony if you don't compete for exclusive content or exclusive games in general?
He is obviously saying shit like this to get some sympathy from gamers, shit is pathetic really.

Nestunt

From a consumer perspective, if I could not afford all the machines, I think it's worse to have timed exclusivity of entire games, like they were touting left and right, than having exclusive DLC.

Voho

There's a difference between not being able to buy a game for a period of time and buying a game with content locked out on your platform, despite paying the same amount for the product. The latter feels more scummy to me.

TBiddy

Let me be clear about one thing. Some of us who you might deem to be "concerned" might genuinely be concerned and have a right to be.

I'd be lying if I said I was sorry that it hurt your or anybody else's feelings on this board. Microsoft watch this board, like they watch many others, they will only make necessary and relevant changes if we are giving honest feedback. They are not your friends, we are their customers.

You have every right to be mad, concerned or whatever else you want to be. I wasn't referring to you in my post (I've only noticed you in the next-gen face-off thread - or was it another thread featuring Forza?, where you're a good contributor) though, but some of the more blatant trolling in this thread. It's fairly obvious who is actually interested in getting some proper feedback out there and who is more interested in gloating, mocking and generally being an ass.

I doubt you or anyone else are hurting many feelings, but I can't speak for everyone, of course. Raising concerns should be something we all encourage, as long as it's constructive and civil. This thread is neither, by now, and that's what I'm saddened by. As the TOS says, it's about holding civil, evidence-based discussions.

longdi

Banned
There's a difference between not being able to buy a game for a period of time and buying a game with content locked out on your platform, despite paying the same amount for the product. The latter feels more scummy to me.

Being locked out from using a pistol or a skin vs being forced to pay $299 for another box taking up space and ports...smh

Voho

Being locked out from using a pistol or a skin vs being forced to pay $299 for another box taking up space and ports...smh

I was talking about timed exclusivity, which had several examples at the conference. In that case, waiting and then purchasing the product on your existing box is an option.

Edit: I don't support publishers paying for exclusivity unless they themselves are funding development to make the project happen at all. Timed exclusive games, DLC, etc. is stupid. I get why people are upset. But attacking Phil because he said what he said doesn't make sense. Exclusive DLC deals make customers feel like they get a worse deal when buying on certain platforms (I get less content for the same money), whereas timed exclusive games offer the same experience when purchasing a product, just at different times (I get the same amount of content for the same money). Maybe I'm not communicating this properly, but that's how I see it.

kofvscapcom

Neo Member
I kinda respect the hustle, it takes a big brave man to lie this hard.

Seriously though, the Destiny 1 strikes were a shitty situation for anyone playing it on Xbox and the Division thing basically made me stop playing that game. But this is going to keep happening until they have an incentive to stop, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Floody

I was talking about timed exclusivity, which had several examples at the conference. In that case, waiting and then purchasing the product on your existing box is an option.

Most marketing exclusive content is timed too, just wait and download them for probably free when they release on the other platforms.

Top Bottom