• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "Not a fan of marketing deals with exclusive content"

oti

Banned
Bit hypocritical Phil. There weren't any Tomb Raider situations at E3, but there were a lot of "Launch Console Exclusives" onstage. Guess they aren't exactly the same thing, but still pretty annoying.

How can that be hypocritical, if it's not at all what he said? 🤔

Ashler

Not a fan of exclusive content deals after their company started the trend in the 360 days and having just come off a press conference where almost every game announcement was preceded with the words EXCLUSIVE (even though they're not).

Sure.

TBiddy

Not a fan of exclusive content deals after their company started the trend in the 360 days and having just come off a press conference where almost every game announcement was preceded with the words EXCLUSIVE (even though they're not).

Sure.

Exclusive content != timed exclusives.

As much as anyone i too hate this practice but man makes me happy to see gaf call him out on his bullshit and not lap it up. Good on you gaf!

Its weird seeing nowhere near as many people defend him as before. I guess this E3 finally exposed him to most people.

"Savior of Xbox" indeed.

Ashler

Exclusive content != timed exclusives.

Its exclusive anyway (for a duration of time). The only reason they're getting timed exclusives instead of full out exclusives this time around is that the One is trailing behind and developers don't want to lose sales on the leading platform.

TBiddy

Its exclusive anyway (for a duration of time). The only reason they're getting timed exclusives instead of full out exclusives this time around is that the One is trailing behind and developers don't want to lose sales on the leading platform.

But that's not what this is about, at all.

anothertech

Bwahahaaa the salt. Seriously, those of you defending any of this:

What MS is doing is the equivalent of Sony telling you you CANT EVEN HAVE DESTINY 2 FOR A FULL YEAR. You think that is better than a delayed strike and some skins? Get over yourselves.

It's all shtty practice, but they're both just as bad. Don't pretend he's a saint here. The hypocrisy is dripping through the cracks.

ISee

Trust me, the zeitgeist is nowhere near that scale right now

I disagree, microsoft is still twisting statements like in 2013. During the 360 erea they were all into exclusive content, suddenly they don't like it anymore while they paid for third party games like titanfall and tomb raider to be console/timed exclusives. In 2013 720p/900p upscaled to 1080p was irrelevant and suddenly native rendering is the most important thing in the world. DDR3 was just as good as sonys DDR5, now it is a huge deal. Kinect was a big deal, now they didn't even mention it for XB1X.

They just don't care and are willing to say whatever. Like in 2013.

Swass

"Not a fan of marketing deals with exclusive content because it costs us twice as much due to us having half the user base of the competition"

FTFY Phil

I disagree, microsoft is still twisting statements like in 2013. During the 360 erea they were all into exclusive content, suddenly they don't like it anymore while they paid for third party games like titanfall and tomb raider to be console/timed exclusives. In 2013 720p/900p upscaled to 1080p was irrelevant and suddenly native rendering is the most important thing in the world. DDR3 was just as good as sonys DDR5, now it is a huge deal. Kinect was a big deal, now they didn't even mention it for XB1X.

Reminds me of Trump tweets in the Obama years opposed to his actual actions.

TBiddy

If we skip the hyperbole in your post, you do actually have some good points. Anyone on this forum (and elsewhere) taking pride in defending their company of choice needs to start realizing that neither Sony, MS nor Nintendo are doing anything to "please" the gamers. They are doing it to maximize their profits. And that includes changing policies whenever it fits them the best (MS), declining anything that can potentially threaten their business but still provide a huge benefit for their customers (Sony) or not testing their newest console properly, because it's expensive (Nintendo).

In short, they don't really give a shit about your feelings or that you're defending them online. They want your money. Not "you" as in you personally, but "you" in the general terms.

While I agree, is the Phil Spencer era innocent of this? And while I know its debatable, Microsoft has done something even worse (timed game exclusivity). Still, it's good to hear him say it and I hope the industry moves away from these practices.

ISee

If we skip the hyperbole in your post, you do actually have some good points. Anyone on this forum (and elsewhere) taking pride in defending their company of choice needs to start realizing that neither Sony, MS nor Nintendo are doing anything to "please" the gamers. They are doing it to maximize their profits. And that includes changing policies whenever it fits them the best (MS), declining anything that can potentially threaten their business but still provide a huge benefit for their customers (Sony) or not testing their newest console properly, because it's expensive (Nintendo).

In short, they don't really give a shit about your feelings or that you're defending them online. They want your money. Not "you" as in you personally, but "you" in the general terms.

What hyperbole? Everything I said happened.

And yeah obviously everybody is doing PR and obviously they just want our money. That's like saying the sky is blue.
And you are wrong in one point. Feelings are very important when trying to sell things to consumers. It's even more important than facts and Microsoft is just bad in winning hearts. BS PR that contradicts itself isn't helping to change that at all.

"Not a fan of marketing deals with exclusive content because it costs us twice as much due to us having half the user base of the competition"

FTFY Phil

Reminds me of Trump tweets in the Obama years opposed to his actual actions.

To be fair they at least changed some important things.

TBiddy

What hyperbole? Everything I said happened.

And yeah obviously everybody is doing PR and obviously they just want our money. That's like saying the sky is blue.
And you are wrong in one point. Feelings are very important when trying to sell things to consumers. It's even more important than facts and Microsoft is just bad in winning hearts. BS PR that contradicts itself isn't helping to change that at all.

Microsoft never claimed that DDR3 was "as good" as DDR5, since that would be downright stupid and blatantly false. Of course feelings are important, but as both companies have proven time and again, they don't really care how you feel, as long as you buy their stuff.

If you've seen the outrage against Sony with regards to crossplay and EA Access, you'd know that Sony doesn't give a shit.

ff_13_xbox_360_01.jpg

rise_of_the_tomb_raider_xbox_one_ce.jpg

ISee

Microsoft never claimed that DDR3 was "as good" as DDR5, since that would be downright stupid and blatantly false. Of course feelings are important, but as both companies have proven time and again, they don't really care how you feel, as long as you buy their stuff.

If you've seen the outrage against Sony with regards to crossplay and EA Access, you'd know that Sony doesn't give a shit.

They said that ddr3+esram is the better solution.

So what is it now? Are feelings towards a brand important for consumers? Because you just said that it is important followed by sony doesn't care/is evil too. I still stay by my statement: you only buy something you like and sony is way better in communicating with their audience. Do they care about them on a personal level? No, of course not. But I never made that claim in the first place. All I said is that Microsofts PR statement are terrible and to easy to see through. Even hurting them in the long run.

I can't stop laughing at Phil's post E3 BS statements. It feels like 2013 all over again.

You know, I actually don't mind this kinda stuff, because it's all playing the game... a hustle. Sometimes it's even really entertaining to see the slight of hand and flame wars.

It's still just marketing, but the extra level of hypocrisy is basically signaling to people like crapgamer what they should talk about and how they should act, but then later saying "i don't like fanboys" who do exactly what you want them to, and give them ammo + spin to use.

It's like one of those movies like American History X or Green Room, where the neo nazi leader is way smarter than all his meathead foot soldiers and lives a normal, respectable life, then acts like he has no idea why there's a bunch of hardcore skinheads having heavy metal ragers in some warehouse property that he just happens to own whenever the police show up.

sidenote: just to be 100% clear, I'm not calling anyone racist or stupid, it's just an analogy that came to mind and those are good movies.

Content deals and launch exclusivity amount to the same thing. Launch exclusives being worse than content exclusives. They're both shitty, of course they are, but content exclusivity is limited to bits of content, whereas launch exclusivity delays the game in its entirety from being released on other platforms.
The thing is, I wonder how many such exclusives are *actual* "launch exclusives" as opposed to their being exclusive out of the necessity of the dev being only able to work on one version at a time... (which Sony and MS then spin into launch exclusive/exclusive BS.)

Skinpop

Phil has to be the most disingenuous guy in the industry. Don't get how people fall for his gamer-bro crap, he is not one of you it's not that hard to understand.

In-Famous

So in MS head
- marketing deals with exclusive content for a fixed period of time is BAD
but
- marketing deals for timed exclusives is GOOD

didnt MS started all of this during the PS3 / 360 era?

It is a worrying trend but for MS to judge is just hypocritical, how about lead by example, show us gamers and Sony that there are better ways to increase your "exclusive" games library

gogosox82

Expect MS does this all the time. Last gen, they always got the maps packs for COD first. They also got exclusive content for FFXIII and this gen ROTR didn't come to PS for a full year. Phil is full of shit on this. It doesn't matter if we are talking strikes or map packs or full games. You are still limiting content to players. And he says this after doing a conference where they announced a bunch of timed exclusives.

You know, I actually don't mind this kinda stuff, because it's all playing the game... a hustle. Sometimes it's even really entertaining to see the slight of hand and flame wars.

It's still just marketing, but the extra level of hypocrisy is basically signaling to people like crapgamer what they should talk about and how they should act, but then later saying "i don't like fanboys" who do exactly what you want them to, and give them ammo + spin to use.

It's like one of those movies like American History X or Green Room, where the neo nazi leader is way smarter than all his meathead foot soldiers and lives a normal, respectable life, then acts like he has no idea why there's a bunch of hardcore skinheads having heavy metal ragers in some warehouse property that he just happens to own whenever the police show up.

sidenote: just to be 100% clear, I'm not calling anyone racist or stupid, it's just an analogy that came to mind and those are good movies.

Which is fine except for the fact Phil is on record as saying he doesn't like that kind of behaviour.

I've said before, the one thing that I probably find a little distasteful in the discourse around games is the divisiveness that people try to build between platforms. It becomes more about what piece of plastic I own than what games I'm playing. It becomes more about somebody else failing than the things I love succeeding. I don't think that's a good place for our industry. I know that's not everybody, and it's easy to find the pockets of that vitriol and kind of think that that is gaming, but I'm not going to embrace that. I'm going to actively push against that.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-interview-phil-spencer-on-halo-the-future-of-/1100-6430815/

Which is fine except for the fact Phil is on record as saying he doesn't like that kind of behaviour.

Maybe you should have read the rest of the post you just quoted which explicitly comments on the idea of him denouncing said behavior while feeding into it with the type of PR spin that fuels fanboy posturing.

Which I don't even hold against him, because it's all part of the hustle.

ISee

Just curious because you brought up demagogy. How do you see digital foundry in a world where most people can't think for themselves and just blindly repeat what more intelligent people want them to believe. Is DF educating the uninformed or just profiting from (and fueling) the console war?

Serious question.
You can just PM me the answer, if you want too. Because this might derail this thread too much.

shmoglish

I disagree with you there. Having a timed exclusive strike in Destiny is huge. Having times exclusive Tomb Raider is huge too. But those are two different things.

Spending money to deliver content or whole games only to your own customers. Not exactly the same, sure, but criticizing one thing while doing the other is indeed hypocrisy.

and one could even argue that timed launch exclusivity is worst than timed content
I think it is. But I guess it is normal and we have to live with it. Reading a statement like the one from Phil after the Timed Exclusive Conference feels like a parodie.

Top Bottom