• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "Not a fan of marketing deals with exclusive content"

Bluenoser

lol. somebody should count how often "exclusive" in all its forms in mentioned in the Microsoft conference vs. how often it is mentioned in Sonys conference.

Sony had the word once if I recall, when they showed Destiny 2. Which is ironic, because Sony actually showed more exclusives.

To those saying console exclusives are the same thing are completely missing what this is about. You're looking at locking away pieces of content you've basically paid for for a full year solely because of some marketing deals. Console exclusives will always be a thing, but you haven't bought those games yet.

All exclusive deals are bad form. Lying about the nature of exclusivity is even worse.

Xater

lol. somebody should count how often "exclusive" in all its forms in mentioned in the Microsoft conference vs. how often it is mentioned in Sonys conference.

Pretty sure 22 times. Isn't that what he said at the beginning of the conference?

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

A game coming to a console first is fine, especially for a smaller developer who may need some help getting launched.

Shit like what Bungie does though... Yeah, that needs to stop.

They hate it now, but were more than happy to make those deals last gen and in fact are still making some deals that deny content to other platforms.

Bishop89

i dont think it was ever mentioned at all at sonys.

There was very little pr talk at all actually.

as if

If he could, he would.

MS was one of the pioneers of "exclusive content" and he clearly still loves timed exclusive stuff, he just doesn't have the best deals this gen.

Rymuth

I'm struggling to remember any Msoft exclusive content deals since Phil took over. I also remember that Rise of the Tomb Raider, which kind of goes against this sentiment?

People change I guess. I have to imagine they would have no trouble getting exclusive content deals if they want them.
header.jpg

As usual, Phil is full of it and it's sad that there are people who fall for it.

wapplew

Hard to imagine the internal struggle when Spencer force to do marketing deal with exclusive content, must be painful for him.

IaN_GAF

What a load of pure, undiluted, corporate hypocrisy, presented in a "hey man, I'm like your buddy, you know, us GAMERS, huh! Yeah!" type of way.

You are keeping complete games from other systems with your bullshit, man. Stop bitching about a fucking mappack when we all know you would if you could.

Defending this shit is just choosing to be played.

squall211

I mean, I agree with him but it seems kinda hypocritical considering how many "console launch exclusives" were show at MS's conference.

Oh it's totally hypocritical. It's easy to take the moral high ground when you aren't in a position to make these kinds of deals because of the cost involved.

GeeTeeCee

i dont think it was ever mentioned at all at sonys.

There was very little pr talk at all actually.

I think Shawn Layden referred to Spider-Man as a "true exclusive," but that's all I can recall off the top of my head.

--

In no world is delaying a fraction of a game's content worse than delaying an entire game. They're both awful practices, but c'mon.

GHG

Hard to imagine the internal struggle when Spencer force to do marketing deal with exclusive content, must be painful for him.

He went on Twitter to tell the world he was forced to do horrible things on that day.

But it's all ok, because his fans told him "we forgive you Phil".

charpunk

Wait... so he's against holding back content from other platforms, but he's fine with holding back games from releasing on other platforms because of timed exclusivity deals.

WHAT

Hilarious. Microsoft were the nice folks who introduced practices like these into the games industry and used them with obnoxious regularity in the last generation and now that their budget has been cut they're apparently above it.
Phil is great for the soundbites but he strikes me as very disingenuous in what he says.

Apart from Rise of the Tomb Raider has any notable example of this actually happened under Spencer's leadership of Xbox or....?

You really think they wouldn't be doing the exact same thing if they weren't leading the market in terms of sales? This isn't a reflection of a change of philosophy under Spencer, this is a reflection of a market reality that ensures they cannot purchase exclusive deals like this.

AudioEppa

I really hope nobody actually believes this load of fo fo.

And before anybody jumps on me, the 'fanboy' I would call bull if somebody from Sony had said this. It's so dumb, like are we supposed to have selective memory of gen 7?

This statement is a narrative tool being use by a guy who's press conference didn't light the world on fire.

Nothing more. But this will be used on a bunch of websites this week so it can grab any simple minded person and make them go YOU RIGHT! I LIKE THIS GUY! I THINK I WILL BUY A XBOX ONE....
S

StereoVsn

I don't understand how locking a DLC is bad but it's not an issue to pay the publisher/dev not to release their game on competing console. If anything latter is much worse. I could live without some Destiny 2 DLC just fine but not being able to play some of those indies kind of sucks.

Markoman

If there's a top 10 "people who should stop using twitter", Phil needs to be high on that list.
Top spot is reserved for at least 4 years, tho.

Top Bottom