• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "Not a fan of marketing deals with exclusive content"

MisterR

Phil you shouldn't be making marketing deals in the first place. How about turning over every dime your division gets to spend and fucking worry about some first party games instead ?

Don't worry, if they lose the funding from MS to pay for any marketing deals anymore Phil will decide that they didn't like that either. The man is an amazing liar, I think some people are starting to catch on to it now though.

Phil needs to go. Not only does he seem to be full of shit, he has also only hurt xbox and xbox first party further then had already been done by time he got there. Of course he doesn't like exclusives, look at what hes done to the first party lol.

that is one finely splt hair. wouldn't you agree, lara croft?
Phil needs to go. Not only does he seem to be full of shit, he has also only hurt xbox and xbox first party further then had already been done by time he got there. Of course he doesn't like exclusives, look at what hes done to the first party lol.
In Phil's defense, the overwhelming majority of that damage was already done by Mattrick in the Kinect era.

Anyone who says Phil "tells it like it is" has forgotten the Tomb Raider story.

Always worth reposting, and this was the turning point where I became fundamentally distrustful of Phil.

I’ve always been one of the more vocal critic around this deal. But not the exclusivity deal itself. Timed exclusives has been a thing since multiple console generations ago, and while I think it’s a poor decision on Square’s part to do this for TR, it’s ultimately their decision to accept MS’s money.

But there is one thing about this deal that I found personally very revolting, and that was the concentrated attempt to pretend like this was more than a timed-exclusive, with the usage of mixed messaging, clever PR spins and very carefully selected language.

Let’s look at the overall chronology of how this exclusivity story came about :

1. Multiple indie games were announced at Gamescom as “First on Xbox.” There was very clear implication that the exclusivity of said games were timed.
2. ROTR was announced as “Exclusive on Xbox, launching Holiday 2015.” There was massive confusion from the get-go, because Point (1)’s language was used to announced timed-exclusives, but ROTR had a different language that implied bonafide exclusivity.

So, from the get-go, through the manipulation of the different exclusivity language used, MS tried to pretend ROTR wasn’t a timed-exclusive, however :

3. Games media didn’t immediately buy into the announcement. When MS PR was pressed for a statement on the matter, folks like Geoff, etc clarify that MS refused to budge from the very “fixed statement” of “Exclusive on Xbox, launching holiday 2015.”

At this point, people were already guessing it’s likely timed, however :

4. Crystal Dynamics posted an article explaining the exclusivity, except they called it an exclusive, ( without the holiday 2015 line and no PR-safe terminology), which immediately prompted fans to suddenly get confused over the state of the game’s exclusivity.
5. What’s worse was that in the same post, CD effectively threw shade at Playstation/PC fans by saying “Don’t worry, Temple of Osiris for y’all to play!”, pissing off a larger majority of the TR audience.
6. Aaron Greenberg also referred to the post by CD to imply that ROTR is an actual exclusive, to further add fuel to fire.

At this points, the outrage was at a fever high. Mixed-messaging on both sides, one side acting like it’s timed, the other acting like it’s actually exclusive, and fans demanded to know the actual truth of the story :

7. Come Phil Spencer interview where he had to respond to the queries.

This was an interview that was referenced by both sides of the camp, those who believe it’s a timed exclusive, and those who believe it’s a bonafide Xbox-exclusive that will only come to PC later, never PS4. Why was this interview so polarising to that extent?

8. In said interview, Phil defended his purchase of ROTR’s exclusivity, making references to Uncharted, etc. He also used terms like “I didn’t buy the franchise, I don’t own the IP in perpetuity” and compared the deal, calling it “similar” to Ryse/Dead Rising 3, both games that are never coming to PS4, because it was fully funded by MS. He ultimately ended it by saying “the deal has a duration”

So basically, Phil basically admitted it was a timed-exclusive, but used very clever PR-language, referring the Tomb Raider IP (instead of referring to just the game) when talking about the exclusivity deal and saying the deal is ‘similar’ (similar =/= same) to Dead Rising and Ryse, knowing full well those 2 games are never coming to PS4.

9. In respect to the interview above, Crystal amended its original post, but they said “Phil Spencer confirmed that ROTR is a timed-exclusive.”
10. Not too long later, the same post above is amended from “timed-exclusive” to “the deal has a duration.”

Everything from point (1) to point (10) was an extremely concerted effort to pretend like ROTR wasn’t a timed-exclusive. And I think it’s a pretty pathetic display from MS/Square.

12-months exclusivity for a AAA-game like TR is a huge win on MS’s side. Sure, you’ll piss off PS-fans by doing it, but admitting it from the get-go will absolve you of all the drama that occurred, and have fans being more trustworthy of you.

Personally, this whole deal has left me with a higher degree of scrutiny when it comes to anything that’s spoken out of Phil Spencer/MS’s mouth. And I hate having to swim through a sea of PR bullshit to reach the truth in messaging.

And I didn’t even go into the hilarity like “Microsoft’s Passion for Tomb Raider”, etc etc, which, while foolish, isn’t part of the exclusivity subterfuge, but just hilarious justification of why this deal happened in the first place.

Seriously though, he is in a tough position. The Xbox 360 heavily relied on third party exclusive content(COD deals was a HUGE deal back in the day) and was the multiplayer system that friends played together similar to what's happening with PS4. I still think they need to rebrand the system.

Rymuth

To call them journalists makes a mockery of the term. They need to keep on games companies good side to keep access.

Love to see the likes of the BBC or Metro have an interview as I doubt they'd turn a blind eye to the most obvious retorts.

ps3ud0 8)
Fun fact, Metro DID do an interview with Phil where they repeatedly put him on the spot.

He never returned to that joint. That stuff was fantastic.

Rover99

Banned
I like how they say one thing but do another. If Xbox was the market leader, Phil would be all over those marketing exclusive content deals. Given this news I expect MS to cease the practice but I don't think that will happen because there is a lot of value in those deals.

Baleoce

But they do both lol

Yeah sorry, I didn't phrase that very well. I mean, they've been known to do the former (as have the competition to be fair), so it seems like an odd nitpick to have to try and gain the moral highground when saying that exclusive content is the straw that broke the camels back.

Bluenoser

MS has done this in years past plenty of times so there is hypocrisy here, but that is a very different thing than full games. For major games these deals typically allow devs to focus optimizing for one machine and the console partner often brings in new funding options for the game's development. Plus other stuff like helping with online infrastructure and testing etc.

So there they basically step in and try to pay in exchange for focusing on their sku and making it as good as possible. That is materially quite different than stuff where it is clear that the content is likely being artificially blocked. I doubt the Destiny 2 PvP level or the strike or the gear/weapon are items that benefit one bit from Sony's cooperation.

Deals like this are meant to get people to buy the game on Sony's console. If the extra content is that important, you have one option to play it.

On the flip side, 15+ "console launch exclusives" were meant to get people to buy on Xb1 before they become available on PS4.

At the end of the day, both deals have the same goal. But Phil is clearly ok with one, and not the other, totally dismissing how his deals screw over gamers as well.

Lol so if someone changes for the better its bad now? Do you honestly believe they wouldnt get exclusive stuff for mordor and ac? Sure a big Part of the reasoning behind this is because the deals are more expensive, but its good that they dont do this stuff anymore. If they go backwards on this, then we should give them shit for it.

MS: Pioneers the exclusive content/timed dlc shit last gen with major third parties
Follows through to this gen
Sony does it aswell
Phil: continues to strike deals

Sony: starts striking deals with all the major third parties

Phil: hey guys timed exclusive content is bad HAhaa also buy our console launch excluisves soon where we hold full games instead of some content i cant pr btw HAhaa
😂

What a flog, someone should call him on his bullshit.

I mean he talks as if MS doesn't lock away 3rd party exclusives left, right and center when they can, just look at the games they announced at the E3 press conference. As a gamer I'm pretty sure i'd rather be dealing with exclusive content that's locked away from me for a year rather then having the whole game exclusive to another platform for a year. What's worse?

Seems as if they just changed their stance on the issue based on the fact that they are on the opposite end of the deal most of the time this gen.

sibarraz

Banned
I fail to see the comparision between marketing deals and launch exclusivity.

I mean, are you guys criticizing sony for having third party exclusivities too?

This is dumb. Why even say this, when anyone who cares knows that it's bullshit and that you are basically doing the same thing with your 20 'console launch exclusives'.

B.O.O.M

He is SO full of shit it's unbelievable. How shameless can you be to say this without being embarrassed. The message itself is good and correct from a consumer's point of view. But him? The firm he represents? lmfao

Z3M0G

Oh yes you are when you can get your hands on them.

These deals are shit, though. I will play on PS4 and even I get disgusted when I see that stuff announced.

ps3ud0

Fun fact, Metro DID do an interview with Phil where they repeatedly put him on the spot.

He never returned to that joint. That stuff was fantastic.
But yet Jim Ryan keeps taking the punches when he takes interviews from Metro...

The gaming-enthusiastic media just disgust me and largely useless at respecting their readership.

ps3ud0 8)

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I agree but I don't see how it's any worse than launch exclusives. That's just as anti consumer.

Launch exclusive = you get the game a month or so later
Content exclusive = you never get it

It's the difference in getting a call of duty map 30 days later vs never getting a destiny strike (a huge part that game).

But shit works so it's not going to stop.

wapplew

Are you kidding me? He need to stay, GAF would become super dull without Phil Spencer, he is our beacon of hope for entertaining forum action.

Harmen

I don't like it either, but let's be honest here, if the One was the leading platform and MS would get deals easier, they would do the same. They are businesses after all. That doesn't make it any better for us consumers, but to me what Phil says are just empty words based on the current position of the Xbox.

Don't worry, if they lose the funding from MS to pay for any marketing deals anymore Phil will decide that they didn't like that either. The man is an amazing liar, I think some people are starting to catch on to it now though.

Always seemed like a shitty used car salesman on the GB stream he went on a couple if times when gaf waa circle jerking about how he is the best thing ever.

Floody

I'd love to have seen the interviewers face when he said that, I don't think I'd be able to keep a straight face. Especially not after "EXCLUSIVE" announcer guy at their conference.

dugdug

Banned
People keep bringing up Tomb Raider, but, it also happened just a few months ago with Dead Rising 4. Or is that never coming to PS4?

Smokey

This is where it reaches a really ridiculous level. No doubt alot of that stuff is just on the disc too. Both nasty examples of it this year come from Activision, very telling.

Activision didn't do it for free and out of the kindness of their business hearts, so equal blame goes to Sony.

People keep bringing up Tomb Raider, but, it also happened just a few months ago with Dead Rising 4. Or is that never coming to PS4?

It is. One year exclusivity, so December this year.

Tomb Raider was notably slimier because MS tried to pretend it was a real exclusive, not a timed-exclusive.

But yet Jim Ryan keeps taking the punches when he takes interviews from Metro...
)

He actually seems to have a lot of fun in those Metro interviews even though he's getting grilled. I'm sure he already knows he's going to get it for his comments on BC.

MisterR

We're criticizing the rank hypocrisy of Phil Spencer. He's paid many a time to get extra content in marketing deals, and getting marketing deals with exclusive content serves the same purpose of getting timed exclusive games. Phil is full of shit and he needs to be called on it more often.

GHG

Nobody cares about that game, that's why. Capcom butchered away everything that made the original games interesting.

Launch exclusive = you get the game a month or so later
Content exclusive = you never get it

It's the difference in getting a call of duty map 30 days later vs never getting a destiny strike (a huge part that game).

But shit works so it's not going to stop.
But Xbox still gets that strike... a year later, sure but they still get it.

There's a difference between funding a game's development and asking for exclusivity in exchange, rather than paying a small sum for 6 months of exclusivity. If Microsoft was fully funding these games and allowing them to vastly improve upon their vision for the game, that would be one thing. But they arent, so there is really no benefit to the consumer to the exclusivity window.

MauroNL

To be fair I think he is referring to content that NEVER reaches another platform like the PS4 Destiny strike, not so much timed stuff.

Don't get me wrong, both are dumb as shit but the former is the worst kind IMO.

Top Bottom