• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Cross Play with Sony- "[Sony] should talk about what their view is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Their view is "we got the larger player base and it doesn't benefit as at all to share it with you."

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm in the boat of "who cares about what happened last gen" cause almost no one was on board last gen. But this gen, everyone is on board for crossplay but Sony.

TripleBee

Their view is the same as Microsoft's was when they had the lead.

Let's not pretend.

Microsoft was against it too back then - but Sony still wasn't pushing it like Microsoft is now.

The comparison only makes sense if when Sony was behind they were pushing for crossplay with Xbox - and even releasing a first party game across all systems.

I'm in the boat of "who cares about what happened last gen" cause almost no one was on board last gen. But this gen, everyone is on board for crossplay but Sony.

It's also important to remember that growth in cloud computing and public cloud capacity has radically changed the environment between last gen and this gen for how both small and large developers can support crossplay.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't matter who would do what in what position. It's a huge benefit for all the consumers, and it's foolish to decry anyone looking for progress that benefits us. We're not stockholders. Fuck em and their "this is why"s. That shit doesn't matter.

Make things better for us. We'll be happier people.

Head.spawn

I completely agree with the first part of this sentiment. However, I feel it's a big leap to 'assume' the second to be the legitimate interpretation of the majority of posts I'm seeing. I'm just interested in the reality and can fully get on board with those people who feel it would be a good idea for those who can't afford a second console and wish to play with their friends. My gripe is that MS are pushing this narrative to create the idea Sony are simply 'against the player' in order to take the high moral ground. This is both disingenuous from a company that practiced the exact same thing last gen and know FULL WELL why Sony are doing this.

How about we demand that Spencer gives his opinion on why he thinks Sony is doing this instead of avoiding the obvious in order to allow this conversation to expand without context. He knows what he's doing. He's deliberately stirring the pot while simultaneously sidestepping the real issue.

Why not demand the answer from Sony?

He isn't the speaker for Sony, he's not their PR or marketing manager. MS announced their crossplatform plans in the time when Sony was telling everyone that would listen that they're pro-crossplatform across the board; Phil put his money where his mouth is and has opened it up full stop... Sony mumbled something the kids and shoved their fingers in their ears.

If anyone should throw up a response it should be Sony. MS has delivered on their promises on their end.

TheYanger

Let's not pretend.

A) Crossplay wasn't a concern last gen, so let's stop pretending it was.

B) Even if you want to say with 100% certainty that MS would've done the same last gen (which nobody can), THAT DOES NOT MEAN WE SHOULD JUST BE OK WITH IT THIS GEN.

Past faults are not made better by making them again.

These are companies not people, you don't have to take personal offense if you think they were somehow 'mean' to each other, you're their customer not their brother.

Let's not pretend.

And if Sony's top brass was out there publicly putting the pressure on MS to allow specific games to work cross platform, I would have been just as eager to agree with them. Like, I don't know if I can convince anyone that I absolutely do not give a shit about the console wars here. I want to see cross platform become a thing. I have a gaming PC, a PS4, an Xbox One, and a Switch. I get that this isn't what platform owners want to hear, but I like having the option to buy on my preferred platform, and it would be swell if I didn't have to worry about where my friends are buying so that I can play with them. "But then they're losing their playerbase edge!" Yes. I get that that's a concern. But I also feel like one's edge shouldn't hang on sequestering the player base like this. Sony didn't come into this generation in the lead. They had to earn it. Just offer the best platform you can with the best games you can and people will want to play there anyway.

I would say the exact same thing about 360 last gen.

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

Can you find me the quote where they said this, specifically about Rocket League

Wereroku

At least give Square Enix the green flag to port FFXIV to Xbox and Switch, please. YoshiP wants this.

FFXIV is actually the exception to this. Last we heard that wasn't going to be on XBO because MS requires games to have an opt out if the user chooses. But again this is the exception most games not having crossplay is on Sony.

LordKasual

Banned
I'd love to jump behind Microsoft

but this holier than thou hypocrite bullshit really makes it hard for me to even back such a statement, even when it's only at the benefit of all gaming consumers

I really hate people who do this shit

SOR5

Let's not pretend.

51m0er7jhal._sx317_bonws71.jpg

Sony's view is 'we're number 1 and don't need to resort to pie in the sky lip service to try and shift a few more consoles no one wants'.

but this holier than thou hypocrite bullshit really makes it hard for me to even back such a statement, even when it's only at the benefit of all gaming consumers

What the fu....

This isn't the same as the asshole vegans that shove it in your face every meal.

wwm0nkey

I hated when MS was #1 and didn't allow it and I hate that Sony is #1 and isn't allowing it now. Just give me cross play dammit

you can say you are behind nintendo instead, MS is not alone here.

And if Sony's top brass was out there publicly putting the pressure on MS to allow specific games to work cross platform, I would have been just as eager to agree with them. Like, I don't know if I can convince anyone that I absolutely do not give a shit about the console wars here. I want to see cross platform become a thing. I have a gaming PC, a PS4, an Xbox One, and a Switch. I get that this isn't what platform owners want to hear, but I like having the option to buy on my preferred platform, and it would be swell if I didn't have to worry about where my friends are buying so that I can play with them. "But then they're losing their playerbase edge!" Yes. I get that that's a concern. But I also feel like one's edge shouldn't hang on sequestering the player base like this. Sony didn't come into this generation in the lead. They had to earn it. Just offer the best platform you can with the best games you can and people will want to play there anyway.

Here is the thing. "This one game" has more ramifications than just that one game. If they don't want to allow it because of XBL sign on or any other issue there are multiple reasons for this not to happen. Recommendation by network admins, feedback from investors/business direction, or contractual obligations. There is no way I see them allowing cross play to another console (since they already allow it on some PC games) and then say only one title can do it. It seems as if that would open up a can of worms they do not want to deal with. On the other hand if it really does have to do with XBL login (look at FFXIV or ESO on PS4), then this horse shouldn't be beat repeatedly because Minecraft is never going to abandon this and Sony would not change their stance on that line drawn in the sand.

Cross play proponents may not want to hear this, but the vast majority of gamers don't care or would rather not deal with multiple sign EULA's and TOS for every game they play. Gaming has survived fine without it up to this point, console gaming will most likely still thrive without that particular feature in the future.

Cross play proponents may not want to hear this, but the vast majority of gamers don't care or would rather not deal with multiple sign EULA's and TOS for every game they play. Gaming has survived fine without it up to this point, console gaming will most likely still thrive without that particular feature in the future.

If this were true, then Sony should have no issues giving an honest answer for why they don't support it, and in turn be confident that the market won't care.

ShogunX

Let's not pretend.

Times change though, what we are getting here with the market leader excuses is basically boiled down playground bullshit. Cross play across multiple platforms for me seems like the next big and logical step in gaming, it's up to the likes of Sony, MS and Nintendo to give us the consumer compelling reasons to own their machines and taking the ball home so others can't play certainly shouldn't be one of them.

So people saying because MS didn't do it last gen, Sony doesn't have to this gen?

Don't you people see how stupid that sounds? Both sides need to stop being stupid and agree that gamers matter most, and sales are still going to be made based on hardware.

Are some of you just not able to take off your console war hats for a minute and actually be forward thinking for a change? This is bigger than Sony, or Microsoft. And I'm saying this as a PC gamer.

RavageX

You guys just don't get it. Do you realize what would happen if XBL crossed with PSN?

Do you have ANY IDEA??

No...no you don't'....but Sony does.

They are the ONLY ones keeping us safe from that catastrophe.

It's that serious.

Times change though, what we are getting here with the market leader excuses is basically boiled down playground bullshit. Cross play across multiple platforms for me seems like the next big and logical step in gaming, it's up to the likes of Sony, MS and Nintendo to give us the consumer compelling reasons to own their machines and taking the ball home so others can't play certainly shouldn't be one of them.

If i were at Sony, there is no chance I would open up cross platform play. Its too much a platform driver. Users can complain all they want, if it makes little Billy buy my machine because he is afraid he wont be able to COD online, awesome. You say you think platform holders should give a compelling reason - that IS a compelling reason.

As a consumer, I think this is terrible. Why the HELL should I have to suffer and have a substandard experience because Sony wants little Billys money?

I did read it.

I just don't buy the "separate code base" stuff.
You selectively choose to disregard facts, you mean. Because what I wrote is all facts, supported by Mojang's statements on the Bedrock engine upgrade since the beginning.
That makes you look ignorant. Nothing more.
Maybe you should actually look into it a little bit. That you doubt my explanation leads me to believe that you're operating on nothing but conjecture and would rather it stayed that way.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I find that childish. You are polarising the argument by (ironically) reducing it to a very simplistic playground mentality.

It's not about who did it first, it's about a legitimate business practice that for some reason MS are now trying to take the high moral ground with. Yes, you could throw hypocrisy in the mix if you take it this simplistically but I've personally avoided that for this very reason. When I say MS did it with the 360, I'm not saying 'MS did it first' like some schoolchild, I'm simply pointing out that it was a normal and acceptable business model then and it still is now, although clearly Spencer would like his fans to think otherwise.

There was nothing wrong with it then and there is nothing wrong with it now. get it?

I honestly don’t care about cross play, what are the best examples of it? In rocket league for instance you can play with pc players but can you manually invite someone on pc to play with you & does voice chat work?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I honestly don't care about cross play, what are the best examples of it? In rocket league for instance you can play with pc players but can you manually invite someone on pc to play with you & does voice chat work?

Someone already mentioned that you could invite someone to your game from a steam game(was it portal?) and get chat back on PS3.

it's not as easy as on one unified network, but solutions exist, and will only get better if there is an opportunity.

SOR5

I find that childish. You are polarising the argument by (ironically) reducing it to a very simplistic playground mentality.

It's not about who did it first, it's about a legitimate business practice that for some reason MS are now trying to take the high moral ground with. Yes, you could throw hypocrisy in the mix if you take it this simplistically but I've personally avoided that for this very reason. When I say MS did it with the 360, I'm not saying 'MS did it first' like some schoolchild, I'm simply pointing out that it was a normal and acceptable business model then and it still is now, although clearly Spencer would like his fans to think otherwise.

There was nothing wrong with it then and there is nothing wrong with it now. get it?

All im doing is saying what I see

And yes, there's plenty wrong with it. It's out-dated and ignorant to consumers, and I don't particularly like to apologise and boohoo about imaginary obstacles getting in the way of a better experience for us all.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Someone already mentioned that you could invite someone to your game from a steam game(was it portal?) and get chat back on PS3.

it's not as easy as on one unified network, but solutions exist, and will only get better if there is an opportunity.
Easiest solution is to use same unified network thats why its unified

ShogunX

I honestly don’t care about cross play, what are the best examples of it? In rocket league for instance you can play with pc players but can you manually invite someone on pc to play with you & does voice chat work?

Minecraft is the best example and the example that makes you realise how much potential the feature has. Being able to create a world that friends and family can join and interact with from any device no matter if the host is online or not is pretty amazing.

If i were at Sony, there is no chance I would open up cross platform play. Its too much a platform driver. Users can complain all they want, if it makes little Billy buy my machine because he is afraid he wont be able to COD online, awesome. You say you think platform holders should give a compelling reason - that IS a compelling reason.

As a consumer, I think this is terrible. Why the HELL should I have to suffer and have a substandard experience because Sony wants little Billys money?

No reason it can't start on a game by game basis and grow naturally from then on. I don't exactly expect Fifa and Cod out of the gate but something like Siege would be a great starting point.

F40

Neo Member

Amen

You selectively choose to disregard facts, you mean.
That makes you look ignorant. Nothing more.
Maybe you should actually look into it a little bit. That you doubt my explanation leads me to believe that you're operating on nothing but conjecture and would rather it stayed that way.

Is the PS4 not going to be on a separate code base now that's it not part of this update and need to be updated separately anyway?

I don't see what's difficult about at least understanding that the concept of separate PS4 only instances of the persistent worlds would not be difficult to implement.

I personally don't care about cross platform play or dlc for Minecraft. I just want to have a world I can play with my niece and nephew who live in a different time zone.

Snakeyes

It doesn't matter who would do what in what position. It's a huge benefit for all the consumers, and it's foolish to decry anyone looking for progress that benefits us. We're not stockholders. Fuck em and their "this is why"s. That shit doesn't matter.

Make things better for us. We'll be happier people.

Yep. So many embarrassing posts from several people ITT. Yes, Phil's stance is driven by his business interests. It also happens to be a stance that aligns with your own interests as a consumer. No need to defend, or even attempt to explain shit that doesn't benefit you in the slightest.

Josman

Locking consumers to the Playstation brand is the incentive not to support it, if you want to play with your friends you can't choose an Xbox, and because they have the bigger install base the gap can only widen.

Either way, Spencer is just playing dumb about it, he knows financially Microsoft gains the most which is what drives all companies's choices. I mean, it would be really great but it's probably not happening at all.

shiyrley

Banned
They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.
Someone needs to make a bot in neogaf that replies automatically to this bullshit with the following text:
"Rocket League doesn't require an Xbox Live login and Sony still doesn't allow it."

Agree with this post.

sangreal

Title should really be updated to reflect the actual context. People still seem to think that Phil is calling for Sony to give a statement or something like he doesn’t know why Sony is opposed. He was asked a question and said Sony should talk about their views instead of answering for them

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
gribble is a huge sony fan boy, i wouldnt worry about them

Nice. I think I've conducted myself quite well here but you're welcome to your opinion ... as long as you don't feel it necessary to influence others. It's quite flattering you think I have this level of power over you. You really don't need to worry though. I won't abuse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom