• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Cross Play with Sony- "[Sony] should talk about what their view is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wereroku

I did read it.

I just don't buy the "separate code base" stuff.
I'm not certain what answer you are looking for. I am sure they could update the PS4 version without the online components but that is not their goal with the new versions. To make unique versions for Sony would cost them extra time and money and go against the goals of the project. As it is the PS4 version will still be supported by the original devs but probably be a lower priority.

FFXIV is actually the exception to this. Last we heard that wasn't going to be on XBO because MS requires games to have an opt out if the user chooses. But again this is the exception most games not having crossplay is on Sony.

Yeah that makes sense. The way account integration seems to work is like just about any site where you simply link your account. All your subscription and character related info are all on Square's servers. Not to mention that you don't need PSPlus to play the game since you're already paying Square for their sub. I know Phil has said on Twitter that he would love to get XIV on Xbox. If an Xbox version comes into fruition, it's only a matter of time for a Switch version. It's more or less up to Yoshi to make those calls since I don't think there's really any tie-ins with Sony around the game.

At what point does the brand reputation outweigh the potential console sales?
Everyone else is playing together: Xbox, Switch, PC.
Playstation players are left out, and I imagine that isn't good for the brand long term.

Lol at people in here being mad phil is telling the truth instead of a pr bs response. The press asked him he answered . Unless you're some big fanboy i don't see how you would be mad at him answering this.

At what point does the brand reputation outweigh the potential console sales?
Everyone else is playing together: Xbox, Switch, PC.
Playstation players are left out, and I imagine that isn't good for the brand long term.

Because apparently Sony doesn't care about their consumers. I understand some choices if it could actually hurt the business, but in terms of cross play, Sony's just shooting themselves in the foot. I'm sure if cross play becomes popularized, some might move to Xbox, switch or PC to play the exclusives of their choice while playing online with friends regardless of platform. This is really going to hurt Sony if they don't allow this.

Wereroku

Because apparently Sony doesn't care about their consumers. I understand some choices if it could actually hurt the business, but in terms of cross play, Sony's just shooting themselves in the foot. I'm sure if cross play becomes popularized, some might move to Xbox, switch or PC to play the exclusives of their choice while playing online with friends regardless of platform. This is really going to hurt Sony if they don't allow this.
The problem is Minecraft and rocket league are going to be the exceptions. Most companies seem happy keeping audiences separate and unless a company with a great deal of power like EA or Activision decide they want it not much is going to get done.

The problem is Minecraft and rocket league are going to be the exceptions. Most companies seem happy keeping audiences separate and unless a company with a great deal of power like EA or Activision decide they want it not much is going to get done.

Minecraft is one of the biggest games in the world though.

Bigger than anything Activision or EA could even dream of putting out. Those companies could also want to do it, but the business side could just be holding it back too. There's nothing to suggest either way is actually true.

Purest 78

I didn't care when MS didn't allow it I don't care now that Sony doesn't. I really hope Spencer is focusing on 1st party games That's what I care about.

No it is not the exception. Here's a quick list I found. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_with_cross-platform_play
Fortnite, Ark, Hearthstone.
All of Xbox's new titles: Gears of War, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3.

PUBG wants to add crossplay. http://www.pcgamer.com/playerunknow...ts-to-add-cross-play-between-pc-and-xbox-one/

And this is just the beginning.

Banned
The most amazing part of all this though is Nintendo being open to cross play. Never saw the day coming. (they also allow username changes, checkmate psn :p)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
From a business perspective, maybe. As a consumer, nobody should actively campaign against this from happening.

There is a case to be made for the consumer here though, although I can't completely disagree with your point. Given that Sony are changing for online now and pushing sales to relatives or friends by making sure they can only play together by buying a PS4, this then feeds into their first party coffers in order for them to continue making games like Horizon, Uncharted, GOW, GT and many others.

If they LOSE the ability to make more money then they could find themselves not able to create exclusive content for their console. In this scenario the importance of keeping them separate becomes necessary and DOES benefit the consumer as well as Sony.

jaypah

Just as yourself if Microsoft would entertain this proposal last generation.

Nah, they were against it and rightfully got shit on. Now they're for it and it seems Sony isn't. Should we give Sony a pass because "mmm, PlayStation"?

I understand why Sony doesn't want to do it. As a consumer I think it sucks, I don't work for them.

ShadyJ

Nah, they were against it and rightfully got shit on. Now they're for it and it seems Sony isn't. Should we give Sony a pass because "mmm, PlayStation"?

I understand why Sony doesn't want to do it. As a consumer I think it sucks, I don't work for them.

As a consumer it's shitty but I can see the business side of it and also understand.

Wereroku

No it is not the exception. Here's a quick list I found. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_with_cross-platform_play

PUBG wants to add crossplay. http://www.pcgamer.com/playerunknow...ts-to-add-cross-play-between-pc-and-xbox-one/

Hearthstone is on consoles? Yes I meant they are the exceptions pushing Sony to add cross platform console the other companies aren't pushing like they are.

Chris1

Just as yourself if Microsoft would entertain this proposal last generation.
I would rather ask "is this good for me as a gamer?" Not play "he hit me first" playground bullshit.

Gwent, also titanfall 2 wanted to add it too

DigSCCP

So people saying because MS didn't do it last gen, Sony doesn't have to this gen?

Don't you people see how stupid that sounds? Both sides need to stop being stupid and agree that gamers matter most, and sales are still going to be made based on hardware.

Are some of you just not able to take off your console war hats for a minute and actually be forward thinking for a change? This is bigger than Sony, or Microsoft. And I'm saying this as a PC gamer.

While I agree that MS doing it first argument is non sense I cant agree that the whole idea of crossplay is going forward.
Yeah it can work on some cases but all games going cross play? Nah, thanks.

TheYanger

While I agree that MS doing it first argument is non sense I cant agree that the whole idea of crossplay is going forward.

What argument do you have for any specific game not being cross play? just curious.

tuna_love

Banned
why no thanks? you dont have to talk to the dirty dude bros on xbox. a bigger player base is good. not every game has a cod population even on the market leader ps4

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
What argument do you have for any specific game not being cross play? just curious.

The best argument I heard in the past is:

- Dont' want to play with pc keyboard users
- If given the option to opt out of playing with keyboard users, the userbase to play from is much smaller then before, since most people will be playing against everyone.

I don't think I agree, but it makes some sense. Of course it is pointless, no one is saying every game should, just that developers should be able to if they think it is good for their game.

TheYanger

- If given the option to opt out of playing with keyboard users, the userbase to play from is much smaller then before, since most people will be playing against everyone.

I don't think I agree, but it makes some sense. Of course it is pointless, no one is saying every game should, just that developers should be able to if they think it is good for their game.

And console cross platform?

KageMaru

I'll always be in support of cross platform play. With having different friends on PSN and XBL, it would be nice to not being forced to pick one group over the other.

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

It's easier for him to complain. He's a true American.

You two realize he was asked about it, right? He's not moaning or complaining. He's answering a question in an interview, that's it. Maybe read the article next time instead of rushing to troll.

I'll always be in support of cross platform play. With having different friends on PSN and XBL, it would be nice to not being forced to pick one group over the other.

You two realize he was asked about it, right? He's not moaning or complaining. He's answering a question in an interview, that's it. Maybe read the article next time instead of rushing to troll.
Have you read the entire thread? Lol

Late comers want to game with their friends and will most likely go to the system where their friends already are.

With the larger install base, PS4 is going to lure the most late comers in this situation. Sony ain't trying to mess that up. LOL.

It sucks, but we know that's probably the real answer.

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

I know you got proven wrong already like 100 times but man, to twist everything around, lie about something that was never said (and only uttered by fanboys on the internet), and talk about Xbox having no gaemz... talk about a first comment backfire 😂

Neith

Banned
I am not trying to sound like it would not be cool. I am saying I don't care if it gets done. It's really that simple. I got other things to worry about right now, and this is like the 5th time I have heard him say something about it in interviews.

It honestly doesn't appear Sony wants to do it, and it doesn't seem like they have much to gain as a corporation by doing this. Of course this would benefit games that have lower player counts a lot. And I don't see the problem letting it happen for certain games even with a corporate viewpoint.

Pretty sure both corporations would do the same thing in the same situation though.

Folstern

I really want crossplay on that 100 year old game for babbys. That would complete my life. Thank you Phil for fighting the good fight.

The benifits of enabling this is so lopsided in favor of Xbox who has the much smaller player base. And is of limited even questionable vale to Playstation.

Xbox fans are going to argue till they are blue in the face that this is going to benifit all sides. But its a fallacy.

Sony has no reason to help MS out here. The begging by Xbox fans and even Xbox execs is getting embarassing.

CookTrain

The benifits of enabling this is so lopsided in favor of Xbox who has the much smaller player base. And is of limited even questionable vale to Playstation.

Xbox fans are going to argue till they are blue in the face that this is going to benifit all sides. But its a fallacy.

Sony has no reason to help MS out here. The begging by Xbox fans and even Xbox execs is getting embarassing.

The benefits are even more lopsided to developers and players. Imagine being on their side. Anyone who gets caught up on platform specificity is lacking imagination for the true scope of what crossplay can become.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

How about just game fans? I love virtua Fighter, I really would hope that the next version can unite all player bases so I have more people to play with. I don't care what platform I am on, it will be better no matter what.

I am not a fan of machines, but of games, and it improves games.

tuna_love

Banned

do you think everyone will just switch to xbox if there was crossplay? is that what was keeping everyone on the fence all this time?

Head.spawn

Umm.. Sony already supports crossplay against m/kb where it makes sense. Sony already has a few games which have crossplay with PC. Some of those games give you the option of isolating yourself from those who might pwn you unmercifully. It's also worth pointing out that PS4 has native support for Mouse/Keyboard and even sells Mouse/Keyboard peripherals on their website.. some games let you choose between using standard controller OR using mouse/keyboard.

That argument ship has sailed.

phanphare

Banned

since we're talking about minecraft and not just how many consoles were sold the benefits are not as lopsided as you're presenting them nor are they lopsided towards the company you claim they are. basically if you take all the minecraft players on mobile, pc, xbox, and switch and put them all together adding or negating the ps4 owners who own minecraft is relatively insignificant. in that instance the benefits would be lopsided in favor of sony since they would have the smallest player base by a wide margin and would be joining a large pool of players across all those different devices.

Get that fanboy bullshit out of here. There has been a plathora of PS4 only owners asking for this for months now, including a petition topic aimed at Sony by someone who doesnt even own an Xbox.

Also, you're lying about userbase here when it comes to Minecraft, the main game Phil cares about being crossplay, and the main thing talked about here (like Sony's stupid for the children excuse). Xbox One has a much bigger userbase than PS4 and Xbox 360 has a much bigger user base than PS3. Then, when you combine iOS, Android, PC, Switch and all the other platforms with Xbox, it's infinitely worse. Sony's user base is a speck of sand compared to the combined other userbase.

Lastly, how do you explain actual developers (Psyonix for RL) asking for this? Are they Xbox execs and Xbox fans, too?

Your mindset is quite sad.

The actual embarrassing thing is seeing people defend a corporation's decision to limit consumers.

jelly

Sony have nothing to fear. Don't more people buy PlayStation for the games and they have more games, so what's the problem?

Sony have nothing to fear. Don't more people buy PlayStation for the games and they have more games, so what's the problem?

I don’t think there’s a ‘problem’ as such. I’m still happy enough playing on my PS4 without crossplay. But it’d still be pretty nice if they allowed it.

Mubrik

no phil, sony doesn't need to say shit.
they are the market leaders here and don't need to answer to you.
sucks to not have crossplay but i really don't see why sony would ever implement it when all it does is aid the underdog business wise.
players have lived long enough knowing the different platforms, they won't die all of a sudden due to few crossplay titles.
sit down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom