• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Played A New Game From Rare Today

Spenny

Yes ? All this Rare bashing is getting old. They haven't made a bad game in the last 10 years (or more), people are just complaining because they're not making the games they want them to make.

Wasn't really trying to bash them. Rare was one of my favorite studios. I was just wondering if their name is relevant anymore. Sorry if I came across as an asshole.

RayMaker

Banned
Perfect Dark ONE

That could be awesome, but a lot has changed in the FPS space since the original perfect dark, I dont know if a rare FPS would be that good on todays FPS landscape.

just please no kinect, they could make some like the original banjos with just updated graphics and I would be pleased as punch.

Ushay

Rare could be back, especially with Phil at the helm.

Personally hoping for a new IP that shines on the new platform. Banjo and others can wait or be developed by a top third party, Rare need to prove themselves with something new in my opinion.

Silky

Banned
Wasn't really trying to bash them. Rare was one of my favorite studios. I was just wondering if their name is relevant anymore. Sorry if I came across as an asshole.

Maybe not the name, but the IPs are, judging by KI's success.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Battletoads XBLA
Viva Pinata XBLA/PC/Mobile

Rare Cart Racer Retail XB1
Banjo Open World Retail XB1
Perfect Dark Sequel Retail XB1

Those are the projects Rare should be pumping out and MS should send them all the help they need and/or farm out some of those franchises like they did (to great effect) with Killer Instinct. Don't just sit on those IP's!

Old Rare lives in Retro Studio, new Rare might as well be called Game Studio X, not the Rare you used to love in any shape or form.

Sydle

Yeah... but he was in charge of them when they were Kinect Rare.

So he got to see Kinect Sports 1 and 2 do incredibly well and Kinect Sports Rivals bomb.

Spencer previously said that when he visited Rare earlier this year he told them to make an iconic Rare game, and this is the first he's seeing of it. He's also stated that he doesn't want Rare to just be known for Kinect Sports, saying he could get another studio to do it.

Rare's destiny is in their hands at this point.

I very much doubt its Battletoads. That is probably an XBLA game by another studio.

I would love it to be Banjo, and am hoping it is...but it's probably a new IP...but you know what? Their last two non-Kinect ones have rocked, so I'm good with that.

That could be awesome, but a lot has changed in the FPS space since the original perfect dark, I dont know if a rare FPS would be that good on todays FPS landscape.

Definitely. It's also worth noting that the greatest talent exodus that happened with Rare was when all the Goldeneye/Perfect Dark developers shifted away to become Free Radical which is now Crytek UK. Hence why the TimeSplitters series was so fantastic and Perfect Dark Zero underwhelmed. The first person shooting heart of Rare simply isn't there anymore so whilst I'd have faith in them developing a platformer like Banjo Threeie I have zero faith that a Perfect Dark reboot or any first person shooter from modern Rare would be any good.

I'd love to see them try and succeed with a new Perfect Dark but I'm incredibly doubtful.

eXistor

It's gotta be Battletoads, not the most exciting Rare ip, but it's better than whatever the fuck they've been wasting their talent on these last years. I think we'll see some decent rare games these coming years, Phil Spencer seems to know what he's doing.

Leflus

Old Rare lives in Retro Studio, new Rare might as well be called Game Studio X, not the Rare you used to love in any shape or form.
Because Retro Studios makes good games?

David Wise worked on the soundtrack for Tropical Freeze, but other than that there's really no relation between Retro and Rare.

Anth0ny

At the very least, a new Banjo would give us a new soundtrack by Grant Kirkhope. That's worth the price of admission right there.

Zomba13

Don't be silly Phil, Rare don't make games any more. They make Kinect things. You couldn't have played a new game from them.

Because Retro Studios makes good games?

David Wise worked on the soundtrack for Tropical Freeze, but other than that there's really no relation between Retro and Rare.

Yeah Retro makes great games, and they carried the torch Rare used to have admirably well, Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze and Metroid Prime(s) are way better than anything the new Rare has come up with in the last 10 years.

And I love Viva Piñata and Nuts and Bolts, I continue to spend hours with my daughter making whacky vehicles, but you really cant compare them with Retro's output.

Retro feels more like old Rare than Rare itself, just my opinion.

Riky

$MSFT
Anybody who thinks that a studio that is decades old will have all the same staff is deluded, maybe when Rare were making Perfect Dark people complained it wasn't the same people who made Sabre Wulf.

Killer Instinct has already proven that Rare has some of the greatest franchises in gaming history and they can be relevant today with different people and even studios involved.

angelic

Banned
rareguide.gif

Gartooth

Rare hasn't made a traditional game since 2008 so I will believe it when I see it if MS actually allowed them to work on something other than Kinect.

Who knows though, maybe Rare came up with a good game idea that didn't get cancelled by the suits.

Leflus

I wonder why Rare and Retro are compared so much when they are completely different then lol
Probably because they made the new Donkey Kong Country games. I don't think people made that comparison before Retro released DKCR.

Yeah Retro makes great games, and they carried the torch Rare used to have admirably well, Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze and Metroid Prime(s) are way better than anything the new Rare has come up with in the last 10 years.

And I love Viva Piñata and Nuts and Bolts, I continue to spend hours with my daughter making whacky vehicles, but you really cant compare them with Retro's output.

Retro feels more like old Rare than Rare itself, just my opinion.
The quality is there, but I feel like Retro has to branch out more before they can be compared with Old Rare. Rare used to be a powerhouse in terms of making games in different genres.

abadguy

Banned
I'm not really sure how excited one can get for this. Rare making a "uniquely Rare game" when those people that made those unique games are no longer at the studio, and the studio hasn't put out noteworthy content since. Not got high hopes at all, but always interested to see what happens
I keep forgetting that the ones who left the studio were the only talented developers in Europe. Funny thing is pretty much any and every developer whos been around for 20+ years has more than thei share of people leaving.

Sydle

I doubt it. If not even Phil knew what they were making until now, How would he be able to put in the paperwork with Legal to get it trademarked

Others on the Xbox team have known about what Rare was working on. Rare told them not to tell Spencer, so they could introduce it first.

Top Bottom