• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

Linkified

Nothing in that trailer they showed at E3 looked like Halo 2 to me. If their Halo game for 2014 is Halo 2 I'm gonna be annoyed.

I have plenty to play regardless, but just saying, that trailer shown certainly seemed to indicate they were announcing a new Halo game.

I think it was a riff. I believe at the end of the trailer it said your Journey begins 2014, and there was a robed Master Chief walking around in the desert.

Freaking out?

So if I find a post of someone being down because of delay in these threads can I call you a lier?

And you are saying there would be no media coverage or complain if the expected next gen halo is delayed a year?

Why would anyone want a rushed Halo this year? I rather them take their time. I was happy Driveclub got delayed so they can have more time to make sure it's right.

Chettlar

Banned
You guys arguing whether Semsey was talking about Halo 2 or 5 are forgetting the TV show.

How do you know it isn't going to be an introduction thing to Halo 5, ala Forward Unto Dawn? He could have easily been referring to that then.

I thought the Halo Xbox One trailer had a new version that specifically said Halo 5?

And was that trailer of MC in a cloth sheet a scene from Halo 2?

No, that scene doesn't appear in H2. Also, the metal bird is Forerunner in its design, so the trailer was definitely for H5 (or whatever they end up calling it).

Freaking out?

So if I find a post of someone being down because of delay in these threads can I call you a lier?

And you are saying there would be no media coverage or complain if the expected next gen halo is delayed a year?

Well not to fuel fires on either side but I am genuinely disappointed Halo 5 isn't hitting 2014. Apparently it was obvious to everyone it wasn't happening this year but I was still under the impression it was coming. Was planning on getting an XB1 probably summertime to play Halo in the fall/winter

Now I'm probably waiting until next year. May break down and buy a used one for cheaps if PvZ is as fun as it looks though

oti

Banned
QB could be neat and I love Fable. But after Fable 3, all of the known info and Microsofts love for microtransactions, I'm more than worried. Other than that I'd like to see a new Viva Pinata, though I'm sure it will be a f2p game with heavy SmartGlass integration or something (I don't need an Xbox One for that).

Every other already known exclusive (new or old) IP does nothing for me, I really couldn't care less. So yeah, please show us some new interesting IPs Microsoft. I want to have a reason to hype myself for a new machine. All that money sure can't be just for time exclusivity on some CoD DLC, can it?

Chettlar

Banned
Well not to fuel fires on either side but I am genuinely disappointed Halo 5 isn't hitting 2014. Apparently it was obvious to everyone it wasn't happening this year but I was still under the impression it was coming. Was planning on getting an XB1 probably summertime to play Halo in the fall/winter

Now I'm probably waiting until next year. May break down and buy a used one for cheaps if PvZ is as fun as it looks though

No love for Halo 2?

But mainly how can the delay be anything but a good thing? People were complaining about it only getting two years, and they were right to. Three is much, much better.

Nothing in that trailer they showed at E3 looked like Halo 2 to me. If their Halo game for 2014 is Halo 2 I'm gonna be annoyed.

I have plenty to play regardless, but just saying, that trailer shown certainly seemed to indicate they were announcing a new Halo game.

There has been a lot of movement within 343 the past couple of months.

I wouldn't be shocked that the original plan was to have Halo 5 this year, but decided to start fresh and have a coherent development process with creative heads completely fulfill their visions without competing with the previous direction.

Mona

Banned
and what happens when these new IPs only have a medium-sized fanbase? you scrap support for the game/series like usual?

No love for Halo 2?

But mainly how can the delay be anything but a good thing? People were complaining about it only getting two years, and they were right to. Three is much, much better.

Why should a title not be delayed indefinitely so that it's an infinitely better game? Yes I do want a better game and I prefer the delay over rushing it out but that doesn't stop me from being disappointed. I am both ok with the driveclub being delayed and disappointed it is doing so. Am I mad at the developers or publishers? No just honestly disappointed.

And Halo 2 eh. I loved the game but I've played it before and depending on how the MP is done I could see myself getting into it. I'm more a Halo 3 kind of guy.

With Halo 5 I'd at least be happy with the campaign I'm sure. Already played through Halo 2's campaign multiple times so while a remake will be nice it's not super exciting

Defect

and what happens when these new IPs only have a medium-sized fanbase? you scrap them like usual?

image.php

PBY

Banned
Why should a title not be delayed indefinitely so that it's an infinitely better game? Yes I do want a better game and I prefer the delay over rushing it out but that doesn't stop me from being disappointed. I am both ok with the driveclub being delayed and disappointed it is doing so. Am I mad at the developers or publishers? No just honestly disappointed.

Pretty much. Also, a delay doesn't guarantee a good product. But there was definitely something mismanaged given the way they touted DC and the ps plus version coming at launch.

Heretic

Freaking out?

Of course there's going to be media coverage and you're the one complaining so...
You guys arguing whether Semsey was talking about Halo 2 or 5 are forgetting the TV show.

How do you know it isn't going to be an introduction thing to Halo 5, ala Forward Unto Dawn? He could have easily been referring to that then.
Interesting. Didn't really think about this. He aboslutely could be referring to the live action stuff. Great catch!

If it's delayed it's delayed. Shit happens all the time. I dont see the big deal...
BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE THAT BOUGHT THEIR SHINY BOXES LAST YEAR TO PLAY HALO LATER THIS YEAR

It really isn't a big deal. I understand Halo 2 not being the strongest for a lot of fans. If they keep the MP as is then H2A will be an excellent appetizer till H5

Pretty much. Also, a delay doesn't guarantee a good product. But there was definitely something mismanaged given the way they touted DC and the ps plus version coming at launch.

Yea but it has a higher chance of being better than if it had less time. Halo 4 was believe to be rushed believe it or not and that was three years. Driveclub new screens is showing the benefit of more time.

viveks86

No love for Halo 2?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though. Do we even know if there was a delay? There has been a lot of wordplay going on, and no one is sure what was announced and what the trailer represents. May be Halo 5 was never planned for 2014. May be they were referring to the anniversary edition all along and allowing us to mislead ourselves. It's all very confusing.

Your disappointment is still valid. A game you expected to see, isn't coming this year. But that may not be because it was delayed. It may have never been the plan.

imtehman

Banned
can anyone point to mewhere they said htat halo 5 was coming this year? We do know that xbox360 came out in 2005 and halo 3 took 2 years from that release to come out in 2007

So why are you surprised that Halo 5 is coming out approximately 2 years from the xbone release?

bidguy

Banned
can anyone point to mewhere they said htat halo 5 was coming this year? We do know that xbox360 came out in 2005 and halo 3 took 2 years from that release to come out in 2007

So why are you surprised that Halo 5 is coming out approximately 2 years from the xbone release?

because of the teaser

i dont mind though because im happy that 343 gets another year to work on halo 5

2014 is packed anyway. quantum break,sunset,forza horizon + destiny and some other third party titles will make the wait easier

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though. Do we even know if there was a delay? There has been a lot of wordplay going on, and no one is sure what was announced and what the trailer represents. May be Halo 5 was never planned for 2014. May be they were referring to the anniversary edition all along and allowing us to mislead ourselves. It's all very confusing.

Your disappointment is still valid. A game you expected to see, isn't coming this year. But that may not be because it was delayed. It may have never been the plan.

Eh I think it's hard to argue that MS didn't do the E3 trailer in such a way so as to suggest that Halo 5 was coming out 2014. They could very well have known it would be a 2015 product so not a delay but that trailer was obviously intended to make fans think it was coming 2014. I could totally see that they never intended it for 2014 but that's not what they intended the masses to believe in any measure. It was a smart move to be fair

Friends, why are we fighting?

Be calm and joyous in the knowledge that Crackdown 3 is in development.

Yes that fact alone cements my purchase of an XB1 at some point

Chettlar

Banned

And Halo 2 eh. I loved the game but I've played it before and depending on how the MP is done I could see myself getting into it. I'm more a Halo 3 kind of guy.

With Halo 5 I'd at least be happy with the campaign I'm sure. Already played through Halo 2's campaign multiple times so while a remake will be nice it's not super exciting

Did you see the post I made in the locked megathread about the guy PMing me in response to two questions I had? The first was about whether it would be 1080p and 60 fps.

But the second question was about what I bolded here:

A bunch. I'm gonna take it a little easy because I'm sure someone is, or will be pounding their fist into a mahogany desk overlooking the Redmond campus.

What has me excited right now is the revisiting of Halo. So later this year we're gonna get Halo 2 Anniversary edition WITH ALL SORTS OF SHIT. On Xbox One. November 11th!

Asked him what he meant by that, and he said he couldn't really say, but he said they were doing a ton with it.

I can't remember if it was then or later that he mentioned something about an alternate ending and all that. THAT gets me excited. I think he means that Campaign is getting a complete rehaul, which sounds exciting as hell.

EDIT: Here we are:

I only really had two questions for you. I posted the first in the Halo 2 Anniversary thread if you don't mind answering. It's on the 8th page or something like that. I bolded it, so you should find it easy enough.

The other one is what do you mean by "WITH TONS OF SHIT" in your first post mentioning Halo 2A? Are you saying they added a bunch of stuff? Reworked campaign? Just a clarification question. Thanks.

Definitely 1080p. 60 FPS is... possible. Unlikely to happen though.

Second, yes. Bunch of stuff... I will reveal eventually.

I can't find where he talks about the alternate ending.

Crackdown 1 was great but 2 did nothing for me so of all the new announcements the only exciting thing is H2 for me.

Entirely understandable. As much as I love CD2, it clearly wasn't as good as CD1. It had some great ideas though, all of which I'm hoping they'll build upon in CD3 and with it coming in 2016, it seems MS are giving it all the development time it needs compared to the 8 months CD2 got.

As for H2A, I'm pretty pumped for that too. I just hope the multiplayer is intact from OG H2.

Yes that fact alone cements my purchase of an XB1 at some point

As it should, it's a fantastic series. I can't wait to see what a proper development cycle with deliver on considerably more powerful hardware.

TheOddOne

It is hard to take you seriously with such a questionable post history. I doubt that you really care about a Halo release, but more about to create this faux-outcry and somehow try to spin this into something that isn’t a thing.

viveks86

Eh I think it's hard to argue that MS didn't do the E3 trailer in such a way so as to suggest that Halo 5 was coming out 2014. They could very well have known it would be a 2015 product so not a delay but that trailer was obviously intended to make fans think it was coming 2014. I could totally see that they never intended it for 2014 but that's not what they intended the masses to believe in any measure. It was a smart move to be fair

Yeah I agree that they were misleading. In fact I'm still quite annoyed by it. I'm just saying that a debate on the impact of "the delay" is moot, because we don't know if a delay even happened,

Chettlar

Banned
Entirely understandable. As much as I love CD2, it clearly wasn't as good as CD1. It had some great ideas though, all of which I'm hoping they'll build upon in CD3 and with it coming in 2016, it seems MS are giving it all the development time it needs compared to the 8 months CD2 got.

As for H2A, I'm pretty pumped for that too. I just hope the multiplayer is intact from OG H2.

Crackdown 1 was great but 2 did nothing for me so of all the new announcements the only exciting thing is H2 for me.

ntkrnl did say that they were doing everything they could to make this a good game. Like, people involved get huge bonuses if it's a success, and they're giving it ample time to be developed. They're giving this particular game some especial attention to make sure it comes out right, so I'm hopeful.

TheOddOne

Titanfall bundle confirmed by Kotaku. They say confirmed to be connected to MS and MS hunting the leaker.

http://kotaku.com/massive-xbox-one-rumor-dump-is-filled-with-juicy-detail-1512616526

I wonder who those inside sources must be heh.
Best part:
So how valid is this stuff? Well, thanks to a reliable source, I've been able to confirm that ntkrnl is indeed connected to Microsoft, although I haven't been able to verify any of the poster's claims. Just because the leaker is in a position to know this information doesn't mean this information is true. (When I reached out this morning, Microsoft declined to comment.)

beast786

It is hard to take you seriously with such a questionable post history. I doubt that you really care about a Halo release, but more about to create this faux-outcry and somehow try to spin this into something that isn’t a thing.

And how is your post history to spin in defense? Is that really the path you wanna take this . when I am civil in this discussion.

I am not a big halo guy by any stretch, but I do find this discussion very interesting as this being the most influential exclusive in NA.

I do own xb1 . Haven't hooked it up yet as we are moving and my gaming room is overly loaded and will hook up in our new house.

Did you see the post I made in the locked megathread about the guy PMing me in response to two questions I had? The first was about whether it would be 1080p and 60 fps.

But the second question was about what I bolded here:

Asked him what he meant by that, and he said he couldn't really say, but he said they were doing a ton with it.

I can't remember if it was then or later that he mentioned something about an alternate ending and all that. THAT gets me excited. I think he means that Campaign is getting a complete rehaul, which sounds exciting as hell.

EDIT: Here we are:

I can't find where he talks about the alternate ending.

Wow I saw him say a ton of shit extra but thought it'd be MP stuff. Campaign stuff is interesting. Maybe side story of arbiter? Or something

That sounds like a buy from me then. Thanks for aggregating the posts btw :)

Titanfall bundle confirmed by Kotaku. They say confirmed to be connected to MS and MS hunting the leaker.

http://kotaku.com/massive-xbox-one-rumor-dump-is-filled-with-juicy-detail-1512616526

I wonder who those inside sources must be heh.

Ok now I don't know what to believe lol. Maybe bundle exists but no limited edition console?

ntkrnl did say that they were doing everything they could to make this a good game. Like, people involved get huge bonuses if it's a success, and they're giving it ample time to be developed. They're giving this particular game some especial attention to make sure it comes out right, so I'm hopeful.

Yeah that was the best news for me personally. That MS was behind trying to make CD3 a stellar game as it seemed like CD2 was not really pushed to excel imo

Best part:

lol bish and jason besties :)

A 2 year dev cycle with Dave Jones involved in some capacity has me very excited. I really can't wait until they reveal it.

I hope this is true. I imagine the game will at least have a much larger budget than the previous 2 games.

Freaking out?

No you are freaking about about it because you have made countless posts about it. It is odd to see such a hardcore Sony fan so concerned about the release date for a Halo game.

daman824

According to the leaker, Microsoft really wants crackdown 3 to be a great game. I have a feeling they are trying to turn it into their open world franchise now that open world games seem to be whats in right now. He said there were large incentives for the game to be really good. Plus it seems to be getting proper development time.

beast786

No you are freaking about about it because you have made countless posts about it. It is odd to see such a hardcore Sony fan so concerned about the release date for a Halo game.

Countless post? WTF. Do have a problem with this conversation? PM a mod and if this makes you feel uneasy, get a dog.

JaggedSac

According to the leaker, Microsoft really wants crackdown 3 to be a great game. I have a feeling they are trying to turn it into their open world franchise now that open world games seem to be whats in right now. He said there were large incentives for the game to be really good. Plus it seems to be getting proper development time.

Plus Dave Jones.

TheOddOne

And how is your post history to spin in defense? Is that really the path you wanna take this . when I am civil in this discussion.
Well, for starters I avoid trolling and try to do some actual research in the thing I’m interested in knowing. Console wars are dumb.

If you have been following, after the Halo trailer at E3, nobody, from the developers to the publisher, wanted to confirm if it was the next Halo or even some kind of spin-off. It has been the discussion for months. The studio that created the trailer, Axis, uploaded the same trailer but this time it had Halo 5 at the end—the video was deleted, but can still be found through other sources. We now knew that the Halo trailer at E3 was edited. Then there are some other sources, such as environment artists and narrative designers who gave away that they were working on Halo 5. So why the secrecy? Because everything pointed to Halo 5.

Now the leak happens, leaker says that H2 remake is coming. Well, now it makes more sense why the E3 trailer was so vague and why nobody really wanted to say what it was. That trailer also noted that “The Halo journey continues”, which could mean anything, the statement is vague enough to point out that all kinds of Halo games will continue on the XB1. Frankie, who visits HaloGAF (Not often enough, but that is another matter) does not beat around the bush about Halo—but even he did not once give us a nudge that the trailer was for Halo 5, even after the Axis video and other sources confirmed it. They wanted to keep this a surprise, because H2 will have its 10th anniversary—and that is a big deal to Halo fans, it’s one of the games that defined the Xbox and nobody is going to cry spilt milk for a HD remake of it.

Having to wait several months for Halo 2 Anniversary is going to hurt but now they have no excuses in regards to Halo 5. It better be great or else.

Top Bottom