• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

viveks86

There is no way H2A sells anywhere near what a full fledged Halo title would. It's great for the hardcore Halo fans but for the general public, they'll just see it as a game they played 10 years ago.

Or they'll just see it as a 10 year old game that they haven't played. In either case, I think you are right, this is a megaton only for the hardcore.

Barzul

So much hate for Halo 4, I liked it and I'd much rather be playing Halo 5 (still it's good 343 get more time to work on it) than Halo 2HD. Still it'll just be great to revisit the Halo 2 with updated graphics. MS should just release Halo Anthology with updated graphics for 1 & 2 and with all the Halo (excluding ODST and Wars) games for Xbox One. That would be exciting, I'd pay $80 for it.

beast786

damn you're an annoying troll

What the fuck are bitching about. He clearly stated halo fans are moe exited about the port than halo 5 due to halo 4.

And that is why they are teasing a port over next gen halo. This is what he clearly is saying. How the fuck am I trolling?

bidguy

Banned
There is no way H2A sells anywhere near what a full fledged Halo title would. It's great for the hardcore Halo fans but for the general public, they'll just see it as a game they played 10 years ago.

with halo 5 beta slapped on the box ?

it will sell a shitton of copies

BondFancy

We have no stats to prove how well it has sold.

All numbers has shown Ryse to be underperforming quite a bit compared compared to Forza/DR3, and we know DR3 shipped a million as of last month.

Besides, for a new IP, one would guess that MS/Crytek would like to tout the million benchmark if it was achieved, but that hasn't happened.

These were the last sales figures announced for Ryse in comparison and it was neck and neck as of December with DR3. Obviously that could be a different story now but it definitely wasn't a flop. Personally I thought it was very fun, as famousmortimer said both Knack and Ryse deserved higher rating.

The link won't show but just search VGLeaks sales numbers for Xbox One launch games.

MCD

K4oHUfO.jpg

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/428642209630392320

Posted?

so you believe they were hyping halo 2 port by making everyone believe instead it was next new next gen halo?

you think that sounds like a great surprise for mass of people who bought XB1 for teased new halo game coming this November.?
tumblr_inline_myhej9QOEr1qdzswp.gif

I don't think you understand Halo very well. After Halo 4, more Halo fans would rather play Halo 2 HD than Halo 5.
this I sure am more hyped about HD Halo 2 multiplayer then the next Halo
Had very fond memories with Halo 2... lots of great glitch finds too

of course there are people who are more 343 industries fans though (likely higher then us old guys)

Neither company has a huge hit on their hands unless Sony gets uncharted out. I do agree that sales aside (which, seriously, fuck sales bickering) that what we know as of now has more exclusives I want to play on the xb1 than the ps4. Which was also true of this launch, imo.

Sony has an absolutely jam packed 2015 but getting there they are going to have to lean really heavy on stronger multiplats and indies.

TitanFall is going to be the next big thing. It's not exclusive but it will have exclusive marketing and that matters.

Well, there is obviously going to be way more than what I typed out.

Blow to the ego as it may be, we knew Halo was going to happen and Crackdown 3 has been hinted at so very much. Platinum Games title is not much of a drop in the water either, in the grand scheme of things.
He's alive!
7bopiWL.gif

TitanFall is going to be the next big thing. It's not exclusive but it will have exclusive marketing and that matters.

Titanfall will be the next big Xbox exclusive, maybe on par with Gears but probably less. The next big thing will be something like Destiny.

Now if Titanfall 2 is multiplat with an SP campaign, it may become the next big thing but not now

MCD

Well, there is obviously going to be way more than what I typed out.

Blow to the ego as it may be, we knew Halo was going to happen and Crackdown 3 has been hinted at so very much. Platinum Games title is not much of a drop in the water either, in the grand scheme of things.

By any chance, any clue if MS gonna team up with Itagaki this gen?

tkalamba

Doubt it'll ever happen. Nintendo disowned them after that, and even after MS bought them they put out a remake of it and censored everything.

There's not market for it. It's kiddie looking but kids can't buy it.

I know, but it was such an entertaining game. I remember doing that refugee multiplayer game where one side was the teddies trying to shoot the unarmed refugees trying to escape through a tunnel back on the N64.

The Xbox Version MP was interestng, but from what I remember lacked the fun modes from the original in favour of some vehicle warfare or something.

Banjo Kazooie - Banjo Tooie
Conker - Conker: Live and Reloaded
Perfect Dark - Perfect Dark Zero
Crackdown - Crackdown 2
ilomilo - studio went bust
Ninety Nine Nights - N3: Ninety Nine Nights II
Viva Pinata - Viva Pinata trouble in paradise

MS doesn't own the ilomilo IP anyways, Southend did, so who knows what is up with it now :/

I can't find any trademark for Ilomilo in the US.

MS doesn't own any trademarks, for that I know, and one of Southend's co-founders stated on linkedIn that they owned the ilomilo IP, so I can only assume he knew if his own company owned it (hopefully) :p.

edit: It was their co-owner, not co-founder, apologies. Here is the linkedIn with the excerpt I am talking about: http://se.linkedin.com/in/kimnordstrom

"Responsible for all development including pitches and R&D. I spent much time on Sales, HR, Finance and Strategy. Took the studio up to 40+ and profitable. Signed publishing and development deals for the company. Established the strategy for the company and executed it. Assisted on building up a design department later merged into Tactel. Left Southend when it was profitable and working IP's (Ilomilo) owned by the company."

He left in 2010, so as of that time they owned the IP

That excuse just doesn't fly, Sony has three consoles to support and they still managed to put a ton of new IPs, even in 2013. This is MS' third gen, they aren't the new kid on the block anymore

What excuse? Microsoft did focus on Kinect and undeniably, it was something that worked for them, considering the sales of the device and the console from when it came out.

There were new IPs for Kinect: Kinect Sports, Dance Central, The Gunstringer, Kinect Adventures, Joy Ride, Kinectimals (they own all but Dance Central)

Just because they aren't games you wanted to play doesn't mean they don't exist and they aren't investing. They also did stuff like State of Decay, Iron Brigade and Crimson Alliance for XBLA (I could go and research more but i'd rather not)

They then spent time at the end of the last generation making new studios: Lift London (showing their games to the press this week not Xbox One games though as far as I know), Black Tusk, MS Victoria (shut down), Team Dakota.

Microsoft have been making new IPs in small, medium and large varieties. They've ramped up their efforts for AAA new IPs on Xbox One so far starting with Ryse, continuing with Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive and other smaller games (not going to list them)

In 2015 and 2016 they might stop altogether, but from whats coming out of Microsoft right now, I think its presumptuous to say they're not investing in new IP.

Do Microsoft need to make more new IPs? Unquestionably, yes. Are they currently doing so? In my opinion, currently they are yes, even if "Shangheist" isn't in development.

I can't find any trademark for Ilomilo in the US.

To add to others, I just checked Ilomilo and it says C Southend Interactive on the title screen for the game.

Heretic

So getting an old old port of a game you already can get is megaton but getting your absolute new game from same franchise delayed a year is not a "big deal" .. Ok bro.

I never said it wasn't a positive leak. hell, that is exactly why I think it was a plant . It was aimed at grass root xbox fan and that is why it made perfect sense to do it in GAF where that audience is.

Again, it really created that positive vibe without really giving out any info about games themself instead of target dates that can change anytime.

So halo fans were speculating and then were confirmed by MS that halo was coming out this year. I don't get where you are taking this ?

halo_5_tweet_robsemsey.png

it was clear as a day especially with them confirming that halo was coming this fall that everyone and there mother were expecting to play a shiny new halo on their shiny new system.

You can't argue with fact. This is exactly what happened. if you want to justify delay for whatever reason, that's fine. but people were expecting Halo 5 not a decade old port.

here the the full conversation for perspective

halo_5_tweet_robsemsey.png

yep , totally sounds like a decade old port. You know, hyping up old port when people are expecting true next gen game is a marketing genius idea?

You seem to be the only one that cares about it.

FrankT

Got question for the leaker for clarity since it was a response to one of my questions in the first place. The only way $399 is happening this year is with a SKU with no disc drive? That sounds awfully weird with Kinect importance becoming less evident.

Got question for the leaker for clarity since it was a response to one of my questions in the first place. The only way $399 is happening this year is with a SKU with no disc drive? That sounds awfully weird with Kinect importance becoming less evident.

Eh some of the mods in that thread thought the leaker might have been making a joke. IE no way in hell MS drop kinect, no way to get price down without doing so. Dropping the ODD doesn't reduce BOM by more than 15-20 bucks or so I would imagine. There are detailed breakdowns elsewhere but I can't be bothered to look into those.But basically from dropping the ODD alone there is no way they reduce the price 100 USD, maybe 50 USD

What I think it could suggest if it's real is that it's in fact sort of subsidized. Yes MS are saving a little money dropping the ODD but they are then creating a SKU without any used games. Publishers may be willing to subsidize that model or give higher cuts to sales or something way out of left field that I can't even dream of to kill used games

Eh some of the mods in that thread thought the leaker might have been making a joke. IE no way in hell MS drop kinect, no way to get price down without doing so. Dropping the ODD doesn't reduce BOM by more than 15-20 bucks or so I would imagine. There are detailed breakdowns elsewhere but I can't be bothered to look into those.But basically from dropping the ODD alone there is no way they reduce the price 100 USD, maybe 50 USD

What I think it could suggest if it's real is that it's in fact sort of subsidized. Yes MS are saving a little money dropping the ODD but they are then creating a SKU without any used games. Publishers may be willing to subsidize that model or give higher cuts to sales or something way out of left field that I can't even dream of to kill used games

Well its not unreasonable to think that by the end of the year MS might have reduced the cost of the components, combine that with taking out the disc tray might make up the drop to $400. Its profit making at the moment so theres room to move...

Well its not unreasonable to think that by the end of the year MS might have reduced the cost of the components, combine that with taking out the disc tray might make up the drop to $400. Its profit making at the moment so theres room to move...

Do we know how much profit it makes? Also MS would save not only the cost of the disk drive but also what ever fee they pay to the Blu-ray consortium for each console.

Whatever MS is doing right now is working on me.

Halo 2:AE CTF on Zanzibar.....I NEED IT.

I was literally on the eve of buying another PS3 and committing to Sony for the 4th generation in a row. Now, I think things have finally come full circle and I'm about to jump ship.

I suspect MS believes an all digital customer is worth more than the possible financial loss of the lower priced console.

People, Halo 5 isn't delayed. 343 and MS never said the Xbox One game coming 2014 was Halo 5. They carefully worded the announcement so that it could be any game. Go back and watch the E3 announcement/trailer. People just made the assumption it was Halo 5.

Nothing in that trailer they showed at E3 looked like Halo 2 to me. If their Halo game for 2014 is Halo 2 I'm gonna be annoyed.

I have plenty to play regardless, but just saying, that trailer shown certainly seemed to indicate they were announcing a new Halo game.

tkalamba

Whatever MS is doing right now is working on me.

Halo 2:AE CTF on Zanzibar.....I NEED IT.

I was literally on the eve of buying another PS3 and committing to Sony for the 4th generation in a row. Now, I think things have finally come full circle and I'm about to jump ship.

Oh Zanzibar... I miss that map

I thought the Halo Xbox One trailer had a new version that specifically said Halo 5?

And was that trailer of MC in a cloth sheet a scene from Halo 2?

FrankT

I just can't imagine their first $399 console is going to be a disc less one. If so that really says a lot that they are dedicated towards that DD future they envisioned in the first place. NPD less and less relevant. How long before they get to a $399 SKU with disc. Seems crazy. The only reason I would never consider one isn't due to the fact it is DD only I don't really care about it, but knowing I would have to wait a long time to match retail deal prices. I'm not going to wait on great games forever to get in on some good prices. I know MS says they are working on it I just simply see it as how it is now.

beast786

No one else is freaking out about it in this thread.

Freaking out?

So if I find a post of someone being down because of delay in these threads can I call you a lier?

And you are saying there would be no media coverage or complain if the expected next gen halo is delayed a year?

Chettlar

Banned
Deep Silver(publisher) screwed them somehow on The Citadel according to their old founder AFAIK

Do we know how owns the ilomilo IP?

So much hate for Halo 4, I liked it and I'd much rather be playing Halo 5 (still it's good 343 get more time to work on it) than Halo 2HD. Still it'll just be great to revisit the Halo 2 with updated graphics. MS should just release Halo Anthology with updated graphics for 1 & 2 and with all the Halo (excluding ODST and Wars) games for Xbox One. That would be exciting, I'd pay $80 for it.

What? Why not ODST? I'll have you know that's a good many people's favorite campaign. Why would you NOT?

statham

I just can't imagine their first $399 console is going to be a disc less one. If so that really says a lot that they are dedicated towards that DD future they envisioned in the first place. NPD less and less relevant. How long before they get to a $399 SKU with disc. Seems crazy. The only reason I would never consider one isn't due to the fact it is DD only I don't really care about it, but knowing I would have to wait a long time to match retail deal prices. I'm not going to wait on great games forever to get in on some good prices. I know MS says they are working on it I just simply see it as how it is now.

I doubt the 1tb LE console is going to be above $499, I say by next holiday we will see a $399 digital, $449 standard and the $499 1tb edition or titanfall bundle.

If that happens i think its because its the only way to drive cost down maybe. MS did deal already actually with power star gold the other day and even Crimson Dragon. I think they will do Steam style deals and it wont be long.

Top Bottom