• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer : "Streaming games is convenient, but playing locally will flat-out always be better"

meirl

Banned
That's true, but their corporate philosophy/mantra of "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" doesn't disappear with just a couple of internal promotions.

so? people got KICKED OUT off MS exactly because of their bullshit. and YES this means that their way of doing this is gone with them, too. stop spinning, stop trying to shit on xbox, you are caught lying. its pathetic.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Vice versa, why does it matter to you how I invest my time?

It doesn't. But again for someone who bitched for many posts then complained they are repeating themselves, you love to come in and bitch about the same things when not prompted. Why are you expecting different results?

Go pet a cat.
Wash your car.
Watch power rangers.

Has to be better than sitting on here.

Maybe you are psyko?

Psykodad

Banned
It doesn't. But again for someone who bitched for many posts then complained they are repeating themselves, you love to come in and bitch about the same things when not prompted. Why are you expecting different results?

Go pet a cat.
Wash your car.
Watch power rangers.

Has to be better than sitting on here.

Maybe you are psyko?
If you really want to know, I'm ill atm, can't go to work, work out, go out of the house and can barely play games.
And watching youtube and netflix has it's limits, so I come here to pass time.

Otherwise I wouldn't be this active.

Besides, when I complain about having to repeat myself it's when the very same person in the same thread repeatedly asks questions that lead to the very same answer.
And since I rarely bother to read the name of the person I'm replying it always boils down to this principle.

If all that bothers you, block me and be happy.
Idc. :)

what do you mean? where is the nonsense from phil spencers statement? he just said the truth, of COURSE local is ALWAYS better, MS never said the contrary, NEVER.

so, where is the "damage control"?
"PR nonsense"

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If you really want to know, I'm ill atm, can't go to work, work out, go out of the house and can barely play games.
And watching youtube and netflix has it's limits, so I come here to pass time.

Otherwise I wouldn't be this active.

Besides, when I complain about having to repeat myself it's when the very same person in the same thread repeatedly asks questions that lead to the very same answer.
And since I rarely bother to read the name of the person I'm replying it always boils down to this principle.

If all that bothers you, block me and be happy.
Idc. :)

"PR nonsense"

Why not start a thread of something you want to talk about then? Bottom line is you don't add any quality to any conversation. You drive by shit post. Don't be a cancer in the community.

FireFly

We'll see at the end of next-gen.

I've been saying next-gen will be make-it-or-break-it for Xbox consoles and that if next-gen will be another fail, they'll discontinue their consoles.
Maybe, but it's a hypothetical based on what may or may not happen in the future. In the here and now Microsoft are focusing on local play.

In fact it feels like they are going all-in, by pushing the console form factor to extract as much performance as possible.

Psykodad

Banned
Maybe, but it's a hypothetical based on what may or may not happen in the future. In the here and now Microsoft are focusing on local play.

In fact it feels like they are going all-in, by pushing the console form factor to extract as much performance as possible.
True, but everything is hypothetical at this point in time.
I just happen to see things completely differently from most other users.

I'm not gonna disagree with that last part, but like I said I think it's make-it-or-break-it for Xbox consoles.

Because you haven't explained what damage they're trying to control. You're just trolling.

I did in post #9

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You're not contributing anything atm either. Bit of a hypocritical statement.

I think it's PR damage control. Don't see why I shouldn't be able to comment that.

I'm contributing by trying to make this forum a better place from shit posts.

Nobody said you can't comment but it's a shitpost.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
We'll see at the end of next-gen.

I've been saying next-gen will be make-it-or-break-it for Xbox consoles and that if next-gen will be another fail, they'll discontinue their consoles.

If I turn out wrong, I'm wrong and nobody will care incl me.

If I turn out right, it's exit Xbox consoles and people can continue their always online services.

I personally won't care either way anyway.
I asked you when they marketed streaming as a replacement and you reply with this. You sound more like a PR guy to me.
MS has been marketing xcloud as an addon since the beginning

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Which shitposts then?

Btw, for someone saying I should find better things to do, you're pretty good at derailing the thread yourself.

I already said I'm trying to make the forum a better place. Your shit posts need to be called out.

Your very first post on this thread was a shit post. As well as post 26.

Psykodad

Banned
I already said I'm trying to make the forum a better place. Your shit posts need to be called out.

Your very first post on this thread was a shit post. As well as post 26.
My first post maybe a bit. I'll admit that.

But how is #26 a shitpost?
So you're just getting triggered over that very first comment and suddenly all I've done is shitposting and ruining Gaf?

I asked you when they marketed streaming as a replacement and you reply with this. You sound more like a PR guy to me.
MS has been marketing xcloud as an addon since the beginning
I never claimed they marketed streaming as a replacement.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Damage control.

Let the games begin.

Are you saying you're here to do damage control?

Every positive post or article about Xbox, Game Pass, XGS games pretty much anything Microsoft gets invaded by the SDF doing damage control and spreading negativity. It's been especially bad ever since the XsX and Hellblade 2 reveal.

Even though your toy has a massive lead over Xbox it seems like Sony fans feeling threatened???

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
My first post maybe a bit. I'll admit that.

But how is #26 a shitpost?
So you're just getting triggered over that very first comment and suddenly all I've done is shitposting and ruining Gaf?

I never claimed they marketed streaming as a replacement.

Your first post is more than a bit. It's very clearly a shit post. Post 26 in your "no direction" is also shit posting. How isn't it? It's another drive by shit post.

I never said all you're doing is shit posting and ruining gaf. But the amount of shit posting in Xbox and Next Gen threads is getting ridiculous. Make a thread bitching about next gen shit you don't like. Going into every thread drive and dropping drive by shit posts only encourages others to do the same.

Psykodad

Banned
Your first post is more than a bit. It's very clearly a shit post. Post 26 in your "no direction" is also shit posting. How isn't it? It's another drive by shit post.
So me saying MS seems to have no clear direction is considered shitposting now?

I never said all you're doing is shit posting and ruining gaf. But the amount of shit posting in Xbox and Next Gen threads is getting ridiculous. Make a thread bitching about next gen shit you don't like. Going into every thread drive and dropping drive by shit posts only encourages others to do the same.

Like I said, all you have to do is block me and save yourself a headache.

Quote me on where I specifically (i.e. literally) claimed that MS marketed streaming as a replacement.

Are you saying you're here to do damage control?

Every positive post or article about Xbox, Game Pass, XGS games pretty much anything Microsoft gets invaded by the SDF doing damage control and spreading negativity. It's been especially bad ever since the XsX and Hellblade 2 reveal.

Even though your toy has a massive lead over Xbox it seems like Sony fans feeling threatened???
MS basically is the only one talking next-gen, so obviously people flock towards those threads.

Besides, on the flipside, maybe it's less about the SDF and more about Xbox fans getting triggered over every single thing that's even remotely negative about MS and Xbox.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Quote me on where I specifically (i.e. literally) claimed that MS marketed streaming as a replacement.

MS basically is the only one talking next-gen, so obviously people flock towards those threads.

Besides, on the flipside, maybe it's less about the SDF and more about Xbox fans getting triggered over every single thing that's even remotely negative about MS and Xbox.

Dropping comments that have no exposition that are clearly controversial is indeed shit posting.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

This where you are wrong and the true issue with shit posting. Blocking you doesn't help since you post 5-10 and soemtimes more per page. You make the conversations impossible to follow and derail the entire thread. Blocking only helps shit postings.

ManaByte

Again, quote me. I never claimed such a thing.

giphy.gif

Psykodad

Banned
Dropping comments that have no exposition that are clearly controversial is indeed shit posting.
Subjective. Just because you feel like I should elaborate from the get-go, doesn't mean I'm shitposting.

Also, for someone hellbent on making gaf a better place, you're on a roll with derailing this thread by trying to discredit me.

This where you are wrong and the true issue with shit posting. Blocking you doesn't help since you post 5-10 and soemtimes more per page. You make the conversations impossible to follow and derail the entire thread. Blocking only helps shit postings.

Maybe I'm posting so much because people like you keep quoting me over unrelated stuff.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Subjective. Just because you feel like I should elaborate from the get-go, doesn't mean I'm shitposting.

Also, for someone hellbent on making gaf a better place, you're on a roll with derailing this thread by trying to discredit me.

Not subjective. It's a shit post. You clearly aren't stupid and know you are shit posting. Myabe you like the attention? Who knows

And you derailed this thread from literally the very first response. Along with others. You can keep trying to use that as a point of contention that this is somehow my fault but it's not. You derailed and shit posted and you even admitted your first post was a shit post.

Psykodad

Banned
Not subjective. It's a shit post. You clearly aren't stupid and know you are shit posting. Myabe you like the attention? Who knows

And you derailed this thread from literally the very first response. Along with others. You can keep trying to use that as a point of contention that this is somehow my fault but it's not. You derailed and shit posted and you even admitted your first post was a shit post.
I said the first post somewhat.

Besides, in case you've missed it:

You are the one who started quoting me saying I was shitposting and kept at it while I advised you two times now to just block me.
If you would've done that, I would've left this topic already.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Microsoft's goal isn't for streaming to replace local hardware, so I'm not surprised he's being honest about it. For publishers and developers it's wishful thinking that streaming will replace everything, so they will keep telling you that. We even have a few members here who believe in a streaming only future for some reason.

I'm not the only one thinking what I think and Spencer definitely won't be oblivious to this, as it has been a point of discussion since the start of current gen.

The XSX announcement also gained little traction as people are discussing PS5 far more and he still needs to sell the console.

Hence, damage control.

There’s more than one anti-vac idiot on Facebook, too. Pointing out that you aren’t the only person who believes a nonsense theory doesn’t really add any weight or truth to that theory.

Where are people discussing PS5 “far more”? All people are discussing are potential specs. Why would people be talking Xbox more when we’ve seen the console and a game and specs? And how exactly does criticizing their own service help sell the consoles?

At least put some effort into your shitposting.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I said the first post somewhat.

Besides, in case you've missed it:

You are the one who started quoting me saying I was shitposting and kept at it while I advised you two times now to just block me.
If you would've done that, I would've left this topic already.

Maybe you missed my post about blocking. Blocking doesn't help when you post many times on a thread because it makes the thread impossible to follow. Only helps the person shit posting.

You've replied to other people so you can't turn this into me keeping you here. If you want to leave then just leave. Nobody will object

Sophist

Nope.

Local hardware buses are both way faster and with lower latency than fiber.

Both still uses HDMI/DisplayPort to send the video signal to PC.
Both still uses wireless controllers.

Local hardware will always be faster with lower latency... that is physically impossible to change unless humanity creates the teleport.

That's irrelevant; a cloud server is the same as your pc, it uses the same internal buses. What truly matters is how the input and output signals are conveyed. As of now, the user input is being sent to a local machine through USB (5 Gbps) and the output is being sent through display port (80 Gbps). Fiber current record is 255 000 Gbps over one kilometer. If you could plug your monitor and your controller to your PC with a fiber cable, even if that pc is at a few kilometers away you would still have a better latency than with the current connectors.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Maybe you missed my post about blocking. Blocking doesn't help when you post many times on a thread because it makes the thread impossible to follow. Only helps the person shit posting.

You've replied to other people so you can't turn this into me keeping you here. If you want to leave then just leave. Nobody will object
I'm basically only replying to you though, because you keep quoting me.
Talk about shitposting...

If you truly wanted to be constructive, you could've just replied to post #26 with "what do you mean?" so I would've given a more elaborate answer and this whole derailing discussion would've been prevented.

Instead, you are out to discredit me and accuse me of things you instigate yourself.

Nickolaidas

I'm not the only one thinking what I think and Spencer definitely won't be oblivious to this, as it has been a point of discussion since the start of current gen.

The XSX announcement also gained little traction as people are discussing PS5 far more and he still needs to sell the console.

Hence, damage control.
Are you on crack? This is obviously a jab to Staadia - what the fuck does Sony got to do with this?

Psykodad

Banned
There’s more than one anti-vac idiot on Facebook, too. Pointing out that you aren’t the only person who believes a nonsense theory doesn’t really add any weight or truth to that theory.
Calling anti-vac people idiots is a matter of opinion. (not that I agree with them btw)

Where are people discussing PS5 “far more”? All people are discussing are potential specs.
From what I see here and on the internet/social media.
But this can be easily countered, so moot point.

Why would people be talking Xbox more when we’ve seen the console and a game and specs?
Fair enough, but most people also care little about xbox.
But saying that is "shitposting", so...

And how exactly does criticizing their own service help sell the consoles?

At least put some effort into your shitposting.

Since there have been discussions about MS possibly stopping releasing consoles for years now and they have put a lot of focus on streaming lately, it might raise concerns more. Coupled with already existing concerns due to a bad gen, Spencers comments about dedicated hardware being the best way is a good way to ease people's minds.

I consider that a form of damage control.

That‘s what XCloud is. But it’s just an option. Which is what he’s saying. It’s meant to be a way to access your game library when away from your console. But for some reason explaining that us “damage control” to some people.

If xcloud can be played at a steady framerate on a phone then that will be the only option available for gaming away from home.

Psykodad

Banned
How is that damage control? So just because he has xCloud, he can’t say that?
Since there have been discussions about MS possibly stopping releasing consoles for years now and they have put a lot of focus on streaming lately, it might raise concerns more. Coupled with already existing concerns due to a bad gen, Spencers comments about dedicated hardware being the best way is a good way to ease people's minds.

I consider that a form of damage control.

thelastword

Banned
Phil Spencer says, "playing locally is better", you don't say...…..

I think Phil is just saving face for how XCLOUD will be received post Stadia, Stadia was a precursor to how streaming is going to be received without proper exclusives, the lack of 4k native 60fps as promised and all the issues Google had vs what they promised......Right now, people hardly talk about Stadia, like it's already forgotten, unless people want to use it as the butt of all jokes.....

I think there is a place for streaming, but these big money companies convinced so many that their deep pockets is all that is needed, their servers etc to make streaming games viable.....Yet people forget, it's not, it's content.....content content content......content that people want to consume....content that is attractive/appealing to them...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm basically only replying to you though, because you keep quoting me.
Talk about shitposting...

If you truly wanted to be constructive, you could've just replied to post #26 with "what do you mean?" so I would've given a more elaborate answer and this whole derailing discussion would've been prevented.

Instead, you are out to discredit me and accuse me of things you instigate yourself.

I've been more than constructive in this threads and others. And you aren't only replying to me in this thread. You literally just replied to 2 other posts.You can keep trying to turn it around on me but I'm not shit posting.

The derailing already started when your first post was shit posting. I didn't instigate anything. That's preposterous.

others have acused you of shit posting in this very thread so clearly as you like to say, I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Phil Spencer says, "playing locally is better", you don't say...…..

I think Phil is just saving face for how XCLOUD will be received post Stadia, Stadia was a precursor to how streaming is going to be received without proper exclusives, the lack of 4k native 60fps as promised and all the issues Google had vs what they promised......Right now, people hardly talk about Stadia, like it's already forgotten, unless people want to use it as the butt of all jokes.....

I think there is a place for streaming, but these big money companies convinced so many that their deep pockets is all that is needed, their servers etc to make streaming games viable.....Yet people forget, it's not, it's content.....content content content......content that people want to consume....content that is attractive/appealing to them...

How the hell is he saving face? He's ALWAYS said that it's just an option for streaming your library away from home and never a replacement for a console.

pr0cs

Pretty surprising to see Spencer come out and say that cloud gaming will always be a lesser alternative, kudos to come out and say it.
That being said, if they can come out with xcloud being a free addition to gamepass ultimate I can for sure see myself playing games like slay the spire or strategy games when not at home

Psykodad

Banned
I've been more than constructive in this threads and others. And you aren't only replying to me in this thread. You literally just replied to 2 other posts.You can keep trying to turn it around on me but I'm not shit posting.

The derailing already started when your first post was shit posting. I didn't instigate anything. That's preposterous.

others have acused you of shit posting in this very thread so clearly as you like to say, I'm not the only one who thinks this.
Ofcourse I'm gonna reply to some others, especially now that I'm here anyway.

But most of my posts were responses to you quoting me.

Go take your high horse and cancel-culture attitude somewhere else.

Top Bottom