• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philly Eagles Freddie Mitchell.. never tired of hearing himself talk....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1988154

The mouth that roared just won't be ignored.

Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Freddie Mitchell was muzzled pretty well by the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIX. But Mitchell is still trying to get in the last word.

On Wednesday, Mitchell sounded off on ESPN Radio's AllNight with Todd Wright, not only defending the disparaging remarks he made about the Patriots' defensive backs prior to the Super Bowl, but taking it a step further and calling out the Patriots again.

Mitchell had admitted to ESPN anchor Dan Patrick days before the game that he knew only the numbers of the Patriots' defensive backs (he then listed them incorrectly). Mitchell also managed to call out safety Rodney Harrison, saying, "I got something for you, Harrison."

Mitchell was later reprimanded by Eagles coach Andy Reid and was not granted a podium for media interviews in Jacksonville.

On Wednesday, Mitchell need no such podium to take more shots at the NFL champions.

"It was kind of like me being facetious and kidding around. They blew it way out of proportion," Mitchell said of his pregame comments. "[Their reactions] reminded me of little girls. They're sensitive. Real, real sensitive.

"Now the thing that bothers me the most is you've got everybody talking now. ... I've got [Patriots coach Bill] Belichick even throwing remarks about me. It's like, 'Man, did I hurt you that bad that you have to go out and shout my name?' Troy Brown saying something, Mr. Belichick saying a little something. It's funny how I got under their skin."

Mitchell wasn't able to get "under their skin" on the field, however, with just one reception for 11 yards. He had one fewer catch than Harrison, who intercepted Donovan McNabb twice.

But to hear Mitchell on Wednesday, even that wasn't his fault. Mitchell argued that the surprising play of Terrell Owens contributed to his own minimal contribution.

"T.O., he came and did an excellent job ... but that really took away from my play time and my opportunities," Mitchell said. "I couldn't shut a lot of people up that I wanted to shut up. That really hurt the situation."

Owens had nine catches for 122 yards in his first game since undergoing surgery six weeks ago for his severely injured ankle. Still, Mitchell is confident he'll get his chance to be "in the position to make a play or ... to be the marquee guy."

Despite Owens' unexpected production -- he was the Eagles' leading receiver in the loss -- Mitchell believes it was the television analysts who placed too much emphasis on Owens.

"[The analysts] think they know it all. ... T.O. is just on a pedestal, and everybody else is pretty much peasants.

"I think when they get to the realization that one player cannot beat a whole team and we won [in the playoffs] without T.O. We got to the Super Bowl without T.O. We can win without T.O. I think that they'll educate themselves more and they'll know that could happen."

<rest of article at link>

So... he couldn't contribute because TO played so well... and man he can't believe that so many people took his light-hearted comments and blew them out of proportion... oh yeah and the media hype TO and don't give anybody else any credit...

Willco

Hollywood Square
He's the most annoying WR ever. And unlike guys like Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens or Randy Moss, he can't back up anything he says.

The stats show Rodney Harrison caught more passes than he did. Screw him.

I suppose people consider Moss more unsportsmanlike simply because he actually *can* perform. This guy's just a gnat buzzing around your nose.

alejob

The only catch he had was in that last Eagle drive when they were down by 10. He caught the ball for a first down and he started showing off like celebrating he got the first down. :lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Mitchell offered his take on what happened.

"Donovan, he dry heaves a lot when he gets under certain situations. It's happened before. It's happened in the NFC Championship game.

"He was dry heaving and he couldn't get the words out in the play, so he gave me hand signals. ... I basically called the play and knew what the coaches were thinking in that situation. I called the play out and went on from there."

Mitchell added, with a laugh, that if he were in that situation again, he'd have called a different play, one in which he was the intended receiver.

I'll be shocked if he's an eagle next year. Way to make your QB look good.

TheDuce22

Banned
Everything he said about the pats is true. If you watched when he said "i have something for you" he was clearly joking. They are a bunch of punks on and off the field. Supposedly they did the eagle during the superbowl parade, real classy. Im sure he didnt appreciate this from the "classy" Bill Belicheck either. Oh but the pats dont get involved in those type of things.
All he does is runs his mouth. He is terrible and I was happy when he was on the field.

DarienA

TheDuce22 said:
Everything he said about the pats is true. If you watched when he said "i have something for you" he was clearly joking. They are a bunch of punks on and off the field. Supposedly they did the eagle during the superbowl parade, real classy. Im sure he didnt appreciate this from the "classy" Bill Belicheck either. Oh but the pats dont get involved in those type of things.

I can't believe YOU of all people are now bitching about players mocking other players celebrations.

You've got a whole kettle pot black thing goin on there.

Those punks sure punked your Eagles.

And actually various news articles did say they were surprised by how the Pats normally don't exchange in the back and forth talk but that they were this time.

Please finish your glass of haterade and leave.

andthebeatgoeson

levious said:
I'll be shocked if he's an eagle next year. Way to make your QB look good.

I was thinking the same thing. He might be doing this to get kicked off.

Fans of the People's Champ may want to check out his sight. Delusional is an apt description:
hatWhiteGreen_large.gif

I used to like him but now, I'm starting to waver. Especially when you talk shit to only have a 1 catch game. Then blame TO's production for your lack of production.

tmdorsey

Yeah, he's pretty much decided he doesn't care about being on the Eagles anymore. I wonder what team would want to pick him up.

Pimpwerx

Man, I love Freddie Mitchell. Be honest, McNabb zeroes in on TO when he's in there. There's definitely merit to what Mitchell said. Sure, he's a trash talker, and he got held pretty well by the Pats. But this guy bounces back all the time, and you can't deny that he wants the ball. He's not a shrinking violet that will talk smack and then disappear in the heat of battle. He'll try. He's not as good as his talk, but I also take his talk for what it is, entertainment. He's very entertaining, and if the Iggles don't want him, someone else will. PEACE.

'All he does is talk," Belichick said of (Freddie) Mitchell long after the game as he sat in his locker room office, his feet propped on a desk. "He's terrible, and you can print that. I was happy when he was in the game."

Miguel

:lol

When TODD FUCKING STINKSTON has a better game than you do...YOU HAVE NO ROOM TO TALK!

Shut your trap Frederick Bitchell.

TheDuce22

Banned
And actually various news articles did say they were surprised by how the Pats normally don't exchange in the back and forth talk but that they were this time.

Why should they be surprised. The pats talk and do as much shit as anyone. For example doing the eagle every time they made a play and mocking the terrible towels in pittsburg.

Willco

Hollywood Square
TheDuce22 said:
Why should they be surprised. The pats talk and do as much shit as anyone. For example doing the eagle every time they made a play and mocking the terrible towels in pittsburg.

I never hear any Patriots call other players or teams out before a game unless they're reciprocating.

I don't think you can blame the Patriots for mocking Eagles players who talk trash. The Patriots back up any of their smack talk, which is miniscule in comparison to the rest of the league.

Talk the talk, walk the walk.

FredEx can only do one of those.

Willco

Hollywood Square
levious said:
So would FedEx field be a natural fit for Mitchell?

Hell no.

We don't overpay for disappointed or mediocre offensive players until after they're accomplished something or - hell! - anything in their career first.

besides, if Gibbs isn't interested in Randy Moss, why in the hell would he want a loser like Mitchell? At least randy Moss catches more than 20 passes a season.

DarienA

TheDuce22 said:

dood I can tell you are still in pain... here:

0112601b_zinn_tissue%20box.jpg

If you wanna talk, you know get this stuff out of your system, just let me know... we can chat over IM or whatever....

I'm here for you man.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Thats the diffrence between Freddie Mitchell and the Patriots. Freddie talks before the game and cant back it up. The Pats talk during the game while they are backing it up.

TheDuce22

Banned
Im not defending Freddie Mitchell, I would prefer him not being on the eagles. Greg Lewis has proven to be a far better 3rd reciever. Im just saying there is a double standard and the pats are a bunch of whiny hypocritical bitches.

Legal Step said:
They should trade him to oakland.

why go for trash when we can have Randy Moss? I've been out of it the last two weeks, but Moss has been in talks, and Jerry Porter wants to test the free agent market. Besides, Raiders need a RB, no so much a superstar wideout.

TheDuce22 said:

Well I won't get into the "doing the eagle" classy/unclassy debate, but you're 100% right about his comments being blown out of proportion.

I saw the Hotseat interview live (well it may have been pre-recorded but it was the first run of it on Sportcenter), and Dan asked Freddie if he could name the Pats DB's, to which he responded "Harrison, and I can't remember the rest, but I can give you their numbers" which was a pretty plainspoken honest response. He literally didn't know the other guys besides Harrison. He then capped it off with "Harrison -I got something for ya Harrison" in a very tongue-in-cheek manner, the same way you tell one of your boys that you're "comin for him" etc when you're playin a pickup game of b-ball or flag football etc. He wasn't calling a shot, he was just saying, "I'm coming to play on Sunday", basically. I left the interview with no impression that any beef was being started, only that Freddie was a clown who couldn't even memorize 5 or 6 guys from the opposing team.

So then the next day as I'm getting ready to leave for work I see the promo for the upcoming nights Sportcenter, and Dan Patrick is like "What did Freddie Mitchell say that has the Patriots so heated?? Find out tonight on Sportcenter!!", to which I immediately thought "Oh shit what did Freddie say now??" Well I missed that Sportcenter, and a few days later it was media day and there was all this hype swirling around a Harrison/Mitchell beef, only nothing was mentioned of what got it started. It wasn't until 2 days before the SB that I found out that it was the extremely tame HotSeat interview that everyone was going apeshit over, and I couldn't believe my fucking ears. It was so overblown...as though somebody read Harrison and the Pats a transcript of it, and they read it with their own inflection and interpreted it as Mitchell calling a shot on Rodney and the nameless Pats secondary, which was not the case if you actually saw the interview.

So Freddie may be a knucklehead with no sense of when to shut up, but he is completely justified in calling this thing "blown out of proportion", because it clearly was.

mCACGj

I'm 10 minutes from Philly, and am a big fan of Philly sports, and while a little biased, this guy is the man. The guy is hilarious, and has an awesome site (www.freddiemitchell.com).

To defend Freddie, while a guy who doesnt normally catch a lot of balls, he is open due to hustling a lot. When you see McNabb scramble and run back and forth, or to a side, Freddie is almost always open, and is usually the guy who catches it. Call him what you want, but the guy does make some pretty big plays(4th and 26).

Either way, he's not that good, but he's an amazing blocker, and always hustles.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Let's put this in perspective. Here is Freddie Mitchell's cumulative stats over four years.

I REPEAT, AFTER ADDING TOGETHER ALL HIS STATS DURING FOUR SEASONs, THIS IS HIS STAT LINE:

Freddie Mitchell, 26-years-old
1st Round Draft Pick

90 RECEPTIONS
1263 YARDS
14.0 AVG
60 LONGEST RECEPTION
5 TOUCHDOWNS

... There are some receivers that get those stats in a single season! And this is all he's managed of - dear god! - four years?

He's almost averaging a touchdown per year!

BUT HE SURE DOES HUSTLE.

Bog

Junior Ace
I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if this was posted already... but you guys know he was on the TLC show "A Dating Story", right? Ah, even football players need to be set up on dates.

mCACGj

Willco said:
Let's put this in perspective. Here is Freddie Mitchell's cumulative stats over four years.

I REPEAT, AFTER ADDING TOGETHER ALL HIS STATS DURING FOUR SEASONs, THIS IS HIS STAT LINE:

Freddie Mitchell, 26-years-old
1st Round Draft Pick

90 RECEPTIONS
1263 YARDS
14.0 AVG
60 LONGEST RECEPTION
5 TOUCHDOWNS

... There are some receivers that get those stats in a single season! And this is all he's managed of - dear god! - four years?

He's almost averaging a touchdown per year!

BUT HE SURE DOES HUSTLE.

That wasnt the point, if you can hustle and make plays, and get first downs that's good. I know he sucks, but he can block, and get open when McNabb is scrambling and he is always trying to get open...I know he's not good, and I know he wasnt a good first round pick, but I like the guy. And as the Philly jynx, when he leaves, he'll become the best WR to live.

Willco

Hollywood Square
mCACGj said:
That wasnt the point, if you can hustle and make plays, and get first downs that's good.

Considering he has 90 total receptions for his entire career, I don't see him making that many plays, guy.

I know he sucks, but he can block, and get open when McNabb is scrambling and he is always trying to get open...

Wow, that's amazing. He's so great that he only has 5 total touchdowns in his entire career. He's really got those corners fooled!

I know he's not good

Well at least you know something.

...and I know he wasnt a good first round pick

Not a good first round pick? He was a horrible first round pick. He's the very definition of a bust. What a waste.

... but I like the guy.

Maybe you can merge with that one member of the Yahoo! Groups Ryan Leaf Fan Club.

And as the Philly jynx, when he leaves, he'll become the best WR to live.

If he hustles and blocks so well, maybe he should just become a lineman.

Freddie's a goofball, and an underachieving one at that. I don't see how anybody can take him seriously, either on or off the field.

The Patriots doing the bird wasn't as much tasteless as it was completely unoriginal and cheesy, Hines did it first and better. And it also made more sense when he did it because it was the week after TO mocked Ray Ray and everyone was just dying to know what he had for the Steelers. But, you didn't see the entire Steeler team doing it after Hines while they pounded the Eagles. You have the Pats all copying one another during a game decided by 3 points, forgive me for not being impressed. And they were mocking a guy that was carving the piss out of their defense on one leg....at least the Steelers kept him in check.

God do I hate super bowls between two teams I can't stand. Can't wait till next season to wash the bad taste out of my mouth.

mCACGj

Willco said:
Considering he has 90 total receptions for his entire career, I don't see him making that many plays, guy.

Wow, that's amazing. He's so great that he only has 5 total touchdowns in his entire career. He's really got those corners fooled!

Well at least you know something.

Not a good first round pick? He was a horrible first round pick. He's the very definition of a bust. What a waste.

Maybe you can merge with that one member of the Yahoo! Groups Ryan Leaf Fan Club.

If he hustles and blocks so well, maybe he should just become a lineman.

You don't watch the eagles. Even in the Superbowl, McNabb had that one scramble play in the first quarter, Freddie got open on the sideline but McNabb threw it over his head. How about in the Falcons game, 3rd down, McNabb forced out, who's open and who makes the diving catch to get the first down? Freddie. I understand, yes he is a horrible first pick. No, I hope he's not on the Eagles after this year. Yes, I do enjoy the plays he makes.

How can you possibly say if he blocks well, and hustles he should be a lineman? That's like saying, if McNabb can run, then why not become a running back? It makes no sense. How can you criticize someone for being good a thing that their position normally doesnt have?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
mCACGj said:
How can you possibly say if he blocks well, and hustles he should be a lineman? That's like saying, if McNabb can run, then why not become a running back? It makes no sense. How can you criticize someone for being good a thing that their position normally doesnt have?

Well, for one, McNabb actually can throw the ball.

As far as Mitchell himself goes, he's open late because he's never open early. After about 12 seconds, the defensive back tends to give up.

Also, that's not blocking you see him doing. That's just him being stuck on the line because the corner(okay, let's be honest, the safety/nickel/dime guy) slapped his ass and Mitchell can't get free.

Willco

Hollywood Square
mCACGj said:
You don't watch the eagles.

Uh, wrong. I live in Maryland and I've got family from Lebanon, so I'm up in Pennsylvania often. I caught almost as many Eagles games as 'Skins games, unfortunately. Goddamn Iggles.

Even in the Superbowl, McNabb had that one scramble play in the first quarter, Freddie got open on the sideline but McNabb threw it over his head. How about in the Falcons game, 3rd down, McNabb forced out, who's open and who makes the diving catch to get the first down? Freddie.

So you're congratulating him on something I'd expect every receiver in the NFL to do all the time? Wow, he caught a pass and stayed open! That's amazing. Break up the champagne.

Again, when the opposing safety and a starting WR with a bum leg catch more passes than you do, you suck.

I understand, yes he is a horrible first pick. No, I hope he's not on the Eagles after this year. Yes, I do enjoy the plays he makes.

If you enjoy the plays he makes, then according to the math, you're happy approximately 22.5 times each season. Imagine if you had Thrash still!

How can you possibly say if he blocks well, and hustles he should be a lineman?

Because he sure as hell doesn't catch balls.

How can you criticize someone for being good a thing that their position normally doesnt have?

Umm, maybe you haven't watch any other team in the NFL, but the ability to block and hustle is not a special skill FredEx has alone.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
TheDuce22 said:
Im not defending Freddie Mitchell, I would prefer him not being on the eagles. Greg Lewis has proven to be a far better 3rd reciever. Im just saying there is a double standard and the pats are a bunch of whiny hypocritical bitches.
In what way are the Pats hypocritical? Sure, they may talk some shit, but they back it up and deliver when the time is needed. Mitchell, on the other hand, talks shit, and then whines and complains about how he didn't mean it when he gets made a fool of on the football field.

mCACGj

Willco said:
Uh, wrong. I live in Maryland and I've got family from Lebanon, so I'm up in Pennsylvania often. I caught almost as many Eagles games as 'Skins games, unfortunately. Goddamn Iggles.

So you're congratulating him on something I'd expect every receiver in the NFL to do all the time? Wow, he caught a pass and stayed open! That's amazing. Break up the champagne.

Again, when the opposing safety and a starting WR with a bum leg catch more passes than you do, you suck.

If you enjoy the plays he makes, then according to the math, you're happy approximately 22.5 times each season. Imagine if you had Thrash still!

Because he sure as hell doesn't catch balls.

Umm, maybe you haven't watch any other team in the NFL, but the ability to block and hustle is not a special skill FredEx has alone.

Due to realizing my stupidity, knowing he sucks, being tired of having bad points to argue with and wishing he showed up. Touche(dont feel like putting an accent). However, I do like the guy personally and think he's hilarious. However, he does block well, and no, on run plays and when McNabb runs I've seen some excellent blocks(no not cause he's already on the corner).

methodman

Banned
If Mike Vrabel gets held by The Freak and still makes a diving touchdown catch, which was the only offensive play he was in on, and Freddie Mitchell can only get one catch out of all the plays he was in on, then... Freddie Mitchell SUCKS.

I don't care mitchell one way or the other, but...

Rodney harrison is a bitch. He acted so offended by freddies comments, boo fucking hoo.
I didn't see any outrage over him ending players seasons with his dirty or cheap hits.

effzee

i want mitchell of the team as well.

pats won..they were/are the better team. no excuses but while i dont agree with mitchell i hate how the media did and continues to portray the pats as this team that would never be cheap, mock, players, or call anyone out. ty law goes on some show b4 the superbowl and claims the only way the eagles have a shot is if the pats dont show up.....well enough...i can take some smack but no this doesnt get blown out of proportion? why not? all we still hear is how they are the professional team not resortting to anything considered cheap, smack, or anything. i honestly dont care if they do it but when ty law, who wasnt even playing, says shit like that and gets no flack then TO when he was hurt shouldnt either when he predicted we would make the superbowl, which was considered as a diss to the vikings. this isnt about backing it up...cause i know the pats back it up...this is about the media portraying the same smack talk 2 diff ways.

theo

Contest Winner
stupid freddie doesn't realize that you cannot give the pats anything to motivate them. hell, they took a quote from a fucking KICKER (vanderjerk) and used it as motivation.

TheDuce22

Banned
stupid freddie doesn't realize that you cannot give the pats anything to motivate them. hell, they took a quote from a fucking KICKER (vanderjerk) and used it as motivation.

Who the hell needs motivation to win a superbowl, or even a playoff game. I dont buy all that bullcrap.

DarienA

TheDuce22 said:
Who the hell needs motivation to win a superbowl, or even a playoff game. I dont buy all that bullcrap.

There's one thing we agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom