• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 13-19 | Handsome fighters never lose majors

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of January 13th to the 19th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

iCMHJGQ99G6LV.jpg

08_patcollins01.jpg

Last week, on January 9th, 2014, the fighting game community lost Patrick Collins, who also went by the name IL0VEY0URM0M in tournaments. Patrick was a long-time supporter of the northern California TEKKEN community, and our hearts go out to Patrick's wife, children, family and friends who are mourning this sudden loss.

A memorial fund has been set up in his name, which you can donate to here. Additionally, a fellow, prominent TEKKEN community member MarkMan has set up another donation drive where he will be giving away various prizes to donators. You can contribute to the donation drive here and can read more details on the giveaway here.

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

APEX 2014 [ Thread ] [ Friday ] [ 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
Tight or Fight 8 [ Sunday ] [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

ibsLYmKhRTX2CE.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at Rhapsody!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
At the moment I'm playing BBCP, GG +R, and KoF XIII. Mostly just focusing on the first one while the second and third games are for fun. All time favorites would definitely be SF2 Hyper Fighting and MvC2. HF was well balanced to me. It's a game that focuses primarily on footsies and reading your opponent without the trouble of studying frame data or combos. MvC2 is my other favorite just because of how fun it is to create teams in that game and make certain point characters work. It feels really rewarding to make mid and low tier characters work to a certain degree by just finding the right combination.

Vampire Savior gets an honorable mention, but the amount of time I've poured into that isn't even close to the other games.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
Favorite mechanic from this gen is Skullgirls custom assists. It allows creativity and makes all characters pretty useful instead of being stuck with a bad set of assists. Besides the obvious answer of TACs for least favorite (or tripping if that counts), I can't say I can point out any I truly dislike. In the near future, Xrd's Danger Time has a good chance at being one though...
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
Playing my brother in SF2HF on the SNES is what got me into fighters. It was fun getting better and figuring out how to counter moves on your own the more you play. I'd say that what got me into competitive scenes were 3rd Strike videos and MLG videos of Melee.

Other genre of games I play are RPGs, Action, and Platformers. At this point all I play are mostly Nintendo games and JRPGs because of that.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
Based on playstyle, its Rachel and Dizzy. I get to switch between rushdown and zoning. Those are two styles I like, which makes me enjoy that I get to have both in one character. Without Rachel, I don't think I would've even played BB all that much.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I typically enjoy projectile characters or shoto characters. I also prefer characters that can open people up fast and keep it going after oki. As of right now, school gets in the way of going to tourneys frequently, so I usually just play with friends. I only netplay with people I know on forums or locally. Netplay gets to me, so I don't enjoy playing randoms.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
Biggest strength would probably be just reading a player on what they want to do. My weakness actually involves my strength as well. Heavy anticipation leads me to being too patient and makes me not take the initiative.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
The best was making it in the top 10 rankings for Brawl for a while before moving to SoCal. Granted it's not like the scene was really big, but it was a good feeling since I was still getting used to a competitive setting. I never owned Brawl though because I don't like it competitively, so I never leveled up and stayed as gatekeeper.

Worst was getting 0-2'ed at SCR in Persona. On the week of SCR, I wasn't in the best condition. Things didn't go well on the 2nd match of each set while the the 3rd ended on a bad note on the last hit. I lost to two people I shouldn't have. People were surprised I didn't make it out of pools, but oh well. I'm hoping SCR 2014 ends up not being a repeat.
What do you want from future fighting games
Games to make inputs a tiny bit more strict than they currently are would be nice. I thought games like 3rd Strike did it perfect. Shortcuts weren't obtrusive and the input window was just about right for moves.

I'd like better training mode for all fighters. The stuff I want already exists, but they're all spread out in various fighters. I'd like to see every fighter to have online training mode, save states, record/play/screen reset mapped to buttons, and reversal option for the training dummy. BB allowing you to press the Record button to reposition the dummy before pressing it again to record was useful. A Skullgirls or Vampire Savior type of tutorial would be nice too for newer players.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
MarkMan, because he obviously isn't in the spotlight enough.

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

None at the moment.​

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters - Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - Mainly 2D, Capcom game centric hub, and probably one of, if not the largest FG community on the internet
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

GLORY TO OLYMPUS AND SPAIN

Seriously, though, I have to watch the archives now. Of course I had to have a late shift the night of the finals... -_-

Jazz-ism

Banned
who is Darry from norcal, what does he play, and why is he saying things that are just dumb/not true trying to shit on smaller game communities?

Oh shit didn't know we had a top brawl player on GAF. Great answers Rhapsody.

Yay, my title got picked. So glad to see Zeus finally winning a major. He is crazy talented and his view on Claw is even crazier lol.

so I didn't really keep up with last week. Why do we hate flux now? Also it's confirmed that chris g is moving to norcal? How was DtN?

I was pretty much watching agdq this week. Too much hype on some runs

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
so I didn't really keep up with last week. Why do we hate flux now? Also it's confirmed that chris g is moving to norcal? How was DtN?

I was pretty much watching agdq this week. Too much hype on some runs
People salty because CJ's button got stuck MID MATCH and he asked Flux if he could pause. Flux said ok. Then took the game when he paused :p

I mean what did he expect hahahaha.

People salty because CJ's button got stuck MID MATCH and he asked Flux if he could pause. Flux said ok. Then took the game when he paused :p

Oh wow I thought CJ asked and flux said nothing then it was paused. That's some grimy shit lol.

smurfx

get some go again

haha i only caught the end of the drama and thought CJ's button got stuck and he wanted a do over. i was in flux's corner till i read this.

jbug617

Banned
Retiring from entering his own event as a player, not retiring entirely I think.

I'm probably doing the same, there just isn't time to focus while running a large event.

Sounds like he plans to slowly go.

@AlexValleSF4: @PerfectLegend @MarkMan23 well, other events should be soon to follow if I want to progress the scene. Can't half ass anything I do.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
enzo_gt, thank you for the mention of Patrick. For everyone else that doesn't read the OP or doesn't know.

Patrick Collins passed away recently and the various communities are banding together to help aid his family during this tough time. He is survived by his wife and two beautiful children.

SDTECHIN is running a donation drive in his honor and a live event this Saturday at Super Arcade. There are donation incentives and a chance to win some cool stuff. For more info on it, please check here:

http://sdtechin.com/2014/01/11/sdtechin-donation-drive-rest-in-peace-patrick-collins/

You can win some cool stuff, but more importantly, you can help out a great cause for an unsung hero of our community. Thanks guys.

Kimosabae

Banned
Seriously if you're into AE and you're only capable of playing on PS3 - that's a shame. You're playing in the ghetto. Feels like a different game on 360. Faster and fluid.

Might start using my PS3 disc as a coaster or something to prevent me from ever putting it in my PS3 again.

Marz

Seriously if you're into AE and you're only capable of playing on PS3 - that's a shame. You're playing in the ghetto. Feels like a different game on 360. Faster and fluid.

Might start using my PS3 disc as a coaster or something to prevent me from ever putting it in my PS3 again.

Meh I make do. I just make sure I get out to all of my scenes offline sessions. Online is booty no matter what in reality.

Coda

It really is. I remember the second to third tournament I played was on PS3 and I got bodied 0-2 because my Guy combos and run to stop timings were all off; it sucked haha.

Kumubou

enzo, just to let you know, the link to the main stream in the Apex listing is broken. There's some garbage characters in the stream URL -- I'm guessing it should just be http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments

<insert stock PC Master Race comment here>. I really do hope more fighting games get released on PC and that Steam Machines/SteamOS actually works out, so that there's a viable kit to run PC tournaments on in a sane matter.

Coda

I mean maybe for other genres but I was just always under the impression that fighting games (all the big ones) come out on console first; for at least a couple years. Maybe it will change this gen but I think consoles have always been the place to play fighting games. Guilty Gear Xrd and Killer Instinct are signs of this. It's only just getting started, we all know Capcom has something up their sleeve other than USFIV, at least they better have something.

I just watched it, and yea it isn't flux's problem. Plus who in their mind would agree to pause the game when the match was almost over.

Overall I just think it was cj's problem. Did it happen in his earlier matches?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just watched it, and yea it isn't flux's problem. Plus who in their mind would agree to pause the game when the match was almost over.

It's 100% Cj's problem, it's cases like that you just play it out til the round is over to fix it. It's not Flux's fault CJ's stick malfunctioned. Proper stick maintenance is important if you are going to be going to events.

Vice

He didn't want to stop the show until then.

Didn't know Flux said OK and took the game anyway

So demonic
fredo.png

Even then, CJ shouldve make sure the stick worked properly before the match. Its not like Flux is obligated to stop cause of the stuck button. Not his fault

Sigmaah

I just saw that shit and people are saying that's on flux? Lmfao, he had that game won anyway and that was cjs fault. His stick, his problem. Doesn't even matter what was said.

I'm watching this shit and omg these people are acting like it's some crazy shit that happened. It was all on CJ. How they even arguing? lmao

Top Bottom