• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 13-19 | Handsome fighters never lose majors

Shito

Played a few matches of Nidhogg online: against one very good player, but with a lot of lag, and one against a beginner like me, without lag.
When it's working it's really good, but I can see how the dev could have been inspired by ggpo: when it's not working it becomes a rollback fest.
Good thing is, when you get an opponent you can "retry" matches very quickly. This is quite a frantic and nervous game -- I like it!

Dahbomb

Defend the North was so hype, glad I went. You should have CJ going nuts on Flux, that was a sight to behold my friend, CJ cheered on everyone of Flux's opponent like an obsessed fanboy. It was hilarious.
I saw the drama on stream but I don't know the story behind it. Apparently CJ asked for a pause and Flux agreed to it but took the win anyway? Would like it clarified from someone who was there.

Not that it matters because it was CJ's fault anyway.

I saw the drama on stream but I don't know the story behind it. Apparently CJ asked for a pause and Flux agreed to it but took the win anyway? Would like it clarified from someone who was there.

Just got home. For the record, I never told CJ it was ok to pause the match. He said his button was stuck, and I said "I'm sorry".
https://twitter.com/FluxedOver/status/422618851214237697

I was playing neutral up until the moment that the game was paused, which I certainly wouldnt do if I was allowing him to pause
https://twitter.com/FluxedOver/status/422619130819117056

He misunderstood or misheard something I said, which is why he's so pissed. I just wish the situation hadn't happened at all.
https://twitter.com/FluxedOver/status/422619351359832064

de1irium

From earlier:
Just got home. For the record, I never told CJ it was ok to pause the match. He said his button was stuck, and I said "I'm sorry".

I was playing neutral up until the moment that the game was paused, which I certainly wouldnt do if I was allowing him to pause

He misunderstood or misheard something I said, which is why he's so pissed. I just wish the situation hadn't happened at all.

Dahbomb

Seems like a hardware malfunction followed up by a miscommunication. A series of unfortunate events leading into pointless drama.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

***FROM THE PERSPECTIVE IN THE AUDIENCE***

I can speak for myself from what I saw from the audience, Flux had 2-0 on CJ and got caught in a combo from CJ's Doom. CJ goes for a regular light medium heavy to launcher and realizes the medium didn't come out and yells at Flux "My button is jammed! I'm gonna pause the game!" Flux doesn't respond (probably a very clever move to get a win, not condoning it) and CJ pauses the game. Flux takes that pause as a loss due to "rules" and stands up to walk away, knowing the drama that is going to ensue, doesn't even look CJ in the face. CJ is yelling out Flux's name, asking him why he did that and Flux just spurts out that rules are rules (basic summary) and takes his win. CJ is salty as hell, like literally, YoutubeFGC Meme Gold, a fight was about to break if CJ didn't see Big E walk into the audience and hover over this argument. It ended with CJ still being salty, kinda saw Flux as a wimp running away from the situation and not trying to compromise with CJ but rules are rules sadly. One thing that annoyed me wasn't the match, CJ was in the right to talk it out with Flux (didn't have to get angry), it was the people acting like a mob screaming out Marvel and recording this crap and not trying to stop it. I didn't know either of them personally so I couldn't do anything to butt in but gladly Big E came in. After that, CJ smacked talked Flux the entire night and people wanted a money match. Nothing happened at the end but a rivalry was born from that, that much I can guarantee.

smurfx

get some go again
so any word on what part of cali chris g is moving to? socal has a better street fighter scene and marvel can go either way. he would certainly have a ton of zero practice in socal.

Shito

I can understand how one can get heated when playing fighting games, but really after cooling down a little CJ should realize how what happened is just bad luck on his side, and has nothing to do with Flux.
Bad luck happen every time in sports, and nobody gets a second chance or a "pause" just out of "good sportsmanship" -- rules are here to define what is fair and what is not.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I can understand how one can get heated when playing fighting games, but really after cooling down a little CJ should realize how what happened is just bad luck on his side, and has nothing to do with Flux.
Bad luck happen every time in sports, and nobody gets a second chance or a "pause" just out of "good sportsmanship" -- rules are here to define what is fair and what is not.

Bingo.

Clawww

Haha, I like Slow Played.

Also the fact that you can leave your opponent's body on your sword and move your sword around inside.

There are some reports up in the thread, including from Clawww. I'm curious to see how it turns out, apparently he was inspired by GGPO:

(That interview is worth a read, btw, especially the part about designing the game for event play.)

--------------------------

Huh. Play-Asia has a sponsorship site up for APEX 2014 with links to the streams.

Netcode is very solid if you have a decent connection but degenerates quickly when you don't. Randoms online has been hit or miss. Playing my friends from in-town and East Coast is pretty much perfect, though. Matchmaking filtering options are very lacking, sadly, so you don't know how the dickhunt is gonna go down until you're already in there.

Game is amazing, btw. Really just having a blast, been laughing all afternoon. It definitely has a lot of depth and options--certainly a huge step up from Towerfall or Samurai Gunn, imo, which didn't captivate me as much as this.

I think if you watched the Northwest Majors set and thought the game was hype and felt like you wanted to play it--the game absolutely delivers. The controls are tight as fuck, you can pull off lots of cool shit, and all of it is hilarious. I love the style, too, personally--amazing animations and music, and seeing the battlefield just covered in yellow and orange blood during a tense, long set is sweet.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh shit didn't know we had a top brawl player on GAF. Great answers Rhapsody.

Yay, my title got picked. So glad to see Zeus finally winning a major. He is crazy talented and his view on Claw is even crazier lol.
Yeah I didn't know either. Rhapsody's spotlight is probably my favourite thus far.

enzo_gt, thank you for the mention of Patrick. For everyone else that doesn't read the OP or doesn't know.

Patrick Collins passed away recently and the various communities are banding together to help aid his family during this tough time. He is survived by his wife and two beautiful children.

SDTECHIN is running a donation drive in his honor and a live event this Saturday at Super Arcade. There are donation incentives and a chance to win some cool stuff. For more info on it, please check here:

http://sdtechin.com/2014/01/11/sdtechin-donation-drive-rest-in-peace-patrick-collins/

You can win some cool stuff, but more importantly, you can help out a great cause for an unsung hero of our community. Thanks guys.
It's great that your doing this sort of thing to help out, MarkMan.

On an unrelated note, would you be willing to do the FGW Spotlight for next week?

enzo, just to let you know, the link to the main stream in the Apex listing is broken. There's some garbage characters in the stream URL -- I'm guessing it should just be http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments
Thanks a lot for the heads up. When I went to save the file I edit them in, it said there would be some loss of characters and I had no idea what I added/edited had nonsense characters or how they even got there. Couldn't spot anything scanning through. Will update OP shortly.

<insert stock PC Master Race comment here>. I really do hope more fighting games get released on PC and that Steam Machines/SteamOS actually works out, so that there's a viable kit to run PC tournaments on in a sane matter.
I don't think that would solve anything unless the machines are modular, and you still wouldn't have a reason to use consoles which will be guaranteed to be standardized for 5+ without needing to upgrade at all.

More games/non-shitty ports period for Steam is always a plus though, and publishers are slowly realizing how strong the platform and it's growth is (which is sort of dumb considering the 90s, but whatever)

One of my favorite Valle moments

http://youtu.be/68tQ3qNQuRU

Who needs supers!!! :p
My favourite Valle moment is when he went on OBS and told everyone to calm that shit down.

Why didn't anyone tell me Loaded Flux da gawd was on GAF? Welcome!

Also I'm not sure why everyone took that one perspective that wasn't corroborated from a secondary source and blew it up like the truth.

Apparently that's what happened at last Apex, too (a bunch of people for the other fighting games signed up at the door).

Also, OP should include www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp for the SSBM Salty Suite for Apex 2014. Starts Thursday at 10 PM-11 PM EST, I think, and then it'll be on at that time every night until the end of Apex.

sp00ky is streaming the Top 8s of the main games on Sunday (AE, UMVC3, SSBM, SSBB, and I think PM but not 100% sure)
Thanks a lot for the link. OP will be updated shortly.

Looks like Jebailey's been hired as the Community Manager for Iron Galaxy.

I can only assume that means we're going to see some significant new fighting games coming out of IG.

https://twitter.com/IToTheG/status/422793216551698432
Shin Jebailey incoming.

Look forward to what Iron Galaxy does next. Between Divekick and the titles they have worked on with Capcom (though I haven't personally purchased any of them), they've definitely earned my respect as developers and I look forward to whatever they do next, fighting game or not.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
37xArC8.png

CurlyW

The "pause = dq" rule is always in place, but Evo is the only tournament (I think) that mandates it regardless of what the non-offending player says. Most tournaments (UFGT included) tend to put the burden of enforcing the rule onto the other player, which I can see as being unfair. Either the player lets it ride, which could hurt their situation, or they take the DQ but feel like the bad guy for doing it. Basically nobody (no TO or bracket runner or player) wants to be the bad guy so pauses often go unpunished. And if a player ever does take a round or game by pause, they're made out to be worse than Stalin (or Keits), as happened to Flux yesterday. I think more tournaments need to take the hard line on pauses that Evo does so that this dumb stuff won't happen in the future.

who is Darry from norcal, what does he play, and why is he saying things that are just dumb/not true trying to shit on smaller game communities?

What was Darry saying?

The "pause = dq" rule is always in place, but Evo is the only tournament (I think) that mandates it regardless of what the non-offending player says. Most tournaments (UFGT included) tend to put the burden of enforcing the rule onto the other player, which I can see as being unfair. Either the player lets it ride, which could hurt their situation, or they take the DQ but feel like the bad guy for doing it. Basically nobody (no TO or bracket runner or player) wants to be the bad guy so pauses often go unpunished. And if a player ever does take a round or game by pause, they're made out to be worse than Stalin (or Keits), as happened to Flux yesterday. I think more tournaments need to take the hard line on pauses that Evo does so that this dumb stuff won't happen in the future.

What was Darry saying?

well at least Smash tournaments use pause=lose your stock, although this isn't always enforced very well
speaking of Smash, Apex hype!

I accidentally paused at Evo during P4A pools in the middle of my opponent's super.

He said it was cool and then I managed to win the set 2-1.

I bet he really wished he took the game after.

CurlyW

I accidentally paused at Evo during P4A pools in the middle of my opponent's super.

He said it was cool and then I managed to win the set 2-1.

I bet he really wished he took the game after.

Yeah, the bracket runners are supposed to enforce the rule if they see a pause, but if they don't catch it, there's nothing you can do.

Darry is a SF4 Balrog player last time I remember. He is also my least favorite commentators (he makes the worst reads, jumps to a ton of baseless conclusions and poor off-topic discussions and not funny) but seems like a nice guy.

Top Bottom