• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 13-19 | Handsome fighters never lose majors

alstein

I mean maybe for other genres but I was just always under the impression that fighting games (all the big ones) come out on console first; for at least a couple years. Maybe it will change this gen but I think consoles have always been the place to play fighting games. Guilty Gear Xrd and Killer Instinct are signs of this. It's only just getting started, we all know Capcom has something up their sleeve other than USFIV, at least they better have something.

Console-first fighters is a trend that really only started last gen, and it still isn't that common for Japanese games. American games like SG/MK/KI are console first for obvious reasons.

Aquashark

Banned
Just got home. For the record, I never told CJ it was ok to pause the match. He said his button was stuck, and I said "I'm sorry".
https://twitter.com/FluxedOver/status/422618851214237697

I was playing neutral up until the moment that the game was paused, which I certainly wouldnt do if I was allowing him to pause
https://twitter.com/FluxedOver/status/422619130819117056

He misunderstood or misheard something I said, which is why he's so pissed. I just wish the situation hadn't happened at all.
https://twitter.com/FluxedOver/status/422619351359832064

casperOne

CJ should have known the rules anyways, it doesn't matter.

If you have to stop a round because of equipment failure, you forfeit the round.

Evo rule:

http://evo.shoryuken.com/evo-player-guide/evo-tournament-rules/#equipment

Regarding Apex 2014, is there any hype around the non-Smash tournaments? Last I looked, the pre-reg was really small for those games (i.e. AE, Marvel, less than 50 people each):

https://www.apex-series.com/registration/viewentrants.php

Perhaps there will be a DTN-style rush at the door, but that's never guaranteed.

Revven

Regarding Apex 2014, is there any hype around the non-Smash tournaments? Last I looked, the pre-reg was really small for those games (i.e. AE, Marvel, less than 50 people each):

Perhaps there will be a DTN-style rush at the door, but that's never guaranteed.

Apparently that's what happened at last Apex, too (a bunch of people for the other fighting games signed up at the door).

Also, OP should include www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp for the SSBM Salty Suite for Apex 2014. Starts Thursday at 10 PM-11 PM EST, I think, and then it'll be on at that time every night until the end of Apex.

sp00ky is streaming the Top 8s of the main games on Sunday (AE, UMVC3, SSBM, SSBB, and I think PM but not 100% sure)

Malice215

i can and cant believe how much attention this cj flux shit is

What else is going on in UMVC3 to by hype about? Chris G winning another major? Zoop Zoop shit?

I don't care about the silly stuff, but I do care about rivalries. As long as this salt produces a great match for a good amount of money, I'm happy.

And at least for AE and Marvel, I'm sure a ton of people will show up at the door for it at Apex as usual. I'm not worried.

onionfrog

Defend the North was really fun to watch this past weekend.

Watching punisher get top 8 in marvel and seeing Zeus win AE was very entertaining.

Kimosabae

Banned
GGs, Cobalt. Despite playing the game since it came out I never really learned it so I knew nothing about Gouken either. Pretty annoying trying to figure out when not to press buttons against him. Especially in the corner lol

El Sloth

Banned

Apparently that's what happened at last Apex, too (a bunch of people for the other fighting games signed up at the door).
There's got to be some way to get people to begin thinking of preregistering as the norm instead of signing up at the door.

de1irium

There's got to be some way to get people to begin thinking of preregistering as the norm instead of signing up at the door.

TO's need to make it the standard.

I love the way Apex handles smash registration. If you don't pre-reg then you have to hope you get one of the remaining empty slots in the bracket ... otherwise you're SOL.

If players want a better tournament experience, they need to accept that some of the burden falls on them ... if you can even call pre-registration a "burden." TO's simply should not have to be worried about hundreds of people signing up on the day of the tournament.

xCobalt

GGs, Cobalt. Despite playing the game since it came out I never really learned it so I knew nothing about Gouken either. Pretty annoying trying to figure out when not to press buttons against him. Especially in the corner lol

Yeah it can be rough once gouken gets you in the corner. Just remember not to press too many buttons after his fireball since he's +6 after it. I got a lot of counter hit roundhouse after a fireball during our set.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
igVSu37i2Nvb8.gif

Shouta

Had a fun match with Clim (The gief player from Canada) this weekend at the local Seattle monthly. It went,

Blanka vs T.Hawk -> Blanka vs Hakan -> Zangief vs Hakan. I lost, of course, but felt pretty amusing to Ultra 2 a Blanka ball on block with Hakan, lol. I really wanted Gief vs T.hawk to start but he Clim doesn't lack that match apparently.

Clawww

Pretty stupid that Flux is getting so much crap for following the rules.

I find it crazy how quick people are to just buy one side of the story if it's juicy. like why would anyone have any reason to believe flux agreed to a pause and then fucked over CJ? that's kinda nuts

Clawww

Pause = DQ rule is the fucking best rule

it's basically the most disruptive thing that could happen in a game that doesn't involve any external physical involvement by anyone

there are times when you could let it rock, of course, but in that situation Flux would have been stupid to not take it. it's a high stakes match deep in the bracket in a clutch situation in fuckin Marvel of all games (vs. a Doom at that). in any case CJ was pretty much fucked since he had no way out from the rocket-chip as far as I can tell

soakrates

This is pretty much how Homestay lost the most recent 5on5.

Also, I wish Japan would do double-elim singles tourneys for VF5FS every so often. Watching the casuals after the tournament reminded me how much cooler the game is in longer sets.

Coda

Console-first fighters is a trend that really only started last gen, and it still isn't that common for Japanese games. American games like SG/MK/KI are console first for obvious reasons.

Ehh I still don't buy it. Remember the Dreamcast? That was the premier place to play fighters at the time. None of those games were legitimately ported to PCs as far as I know. Plus the only place you can play Project Justice is on the Dreamcast. :)

Beckx

hahaha, I just found out about Nidhogg's achievement list.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/94400/achievements

That last one, GTD! (if it changes later)

Haha, I like Slow Played.

Also the fact that you can leave your opponent's body on your sword and move your sword around inside.

So, any word on Nidhogg's netcode yet?

There are some reports up in the thread, including from Clawww. I'm curious to see how it turns out, apparently he was inspired by GGPO:

I’ve never done any kind of networked multiplayer but I’ve always wanted to. After reading Tony Cannon’s article in Game Developer Magazine about how he structured GGPO [the full PDF of that issue is available here -- ed.], I spent a lot of time setting up my code so that a the game could easily be rewound or fast forwarded. The inputs can now be flagged as authentic or predicted. Decoupling the update loop of everything that needed to be synced from the normal Game Maker update and physics system took me a little while, but it’s totally worth it.

(That interview is worth a read, btw, especially the part about designing the game for event play.)

--------------------------

Huh. Play-Asia has a sponsorship site up for APEX 2014 with links to the streams.

alstein

Ehh I still don't buy it. Remember the Dreamcast? That was the premier place to play fighters at the time. None of those games were legitimately ported to PCs as far as I know. Plus the only place you can play Project Justice is on the Dreamcast. :)

That game was pretty broken from what I remember (played it in military).

Most of the Dreamcast fighters were arcade first.

Coda

That game was pretty broken from what I remember (played it in military).

Most of the Dreamcast fighters were arcade first.

Haha yeah it's super broken, but fun as hell. Right, arcade first but usually console next. I still see that trend happening, some games will break the mold and be on Steam but I think any major fighter we'll see on console after arcade.

Kimosabae

Banned
I see you hittin me up, Cobalt - I just can't play atm. I'm taking a quick break from studying some things to look over some replays from last night. I'll be on around 11pm tonight if you wanna get some games in then. Didn't want you to think I was just ignoring you.

Top Bottom