• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix infant dies in hot car - second such death in city in 2 days (Read the OP)

? I did read the OP. Its blatant child neglect

It would be neglect if the parents did it knowingly. When ever topics like this come up it strike some me that some people have a hard time coming to terms with the idea that sometimes things just happen. There isn't always a bad guy to point the finger at. The blame game in a story like this is pointless. A memory lapse caused these parents to lose their child forever.

I don't have a kid but this kind of scenario would worry the crap out of me. I heard some people put other things they also need in the backseat with their kid. Like put your wallet and phone in the backseat, so you check in the back before you get out of the car so you don't forget your kid. Even if you are 100% confident in your cognitive ability, anything to slightly lower the chance would be worth it since it only takes 1 brain fart to ruin a life.

Monocle

I think there are different levels of an "accident" though. That alone is not enough for me to be okay with letting the person off without punishment. It could be a legitimate accident but it's also seen from the investigation that the parent is incredibly negligent and irresponsible with their child in general.

What would your thoughts be in the case where yes, it's a clear accident, but the investigation shows a history of negligence with their child?
That might justify a punishment of some kind, especially if the parent has other kids or doesn't express convincing remorse. But from what I've read, this type of case isn't a common end point for a pattern of parental negligence.

Zen Aku

Your meat machine in your head don't care. Once routine sets in and your motor cortex takes over, to your reptilian part of your brain, the baby might as well be an inanimate object.
I basically grew up eaing my little bro, and never once I would forget about leaving him some place. Even my mom only lost track of him once at a Macy's and that was for a minute.

Yes it's a serious issue. Are you suggesting these people murdered their baby on purpose? It's a lapse in judgement. They happen all the time, and sometimes in the case of a human baby, because the human brain is a complicated son of a bitch. It doesn't happen to everyone (thankfully) but it can happen.
You misunderstood my post. This is a serious issue, but to hsndwaive that your kid is some sort of inanimate object that you might forget like your keys is some next level defense.

It would be neglect if the parents did it knowingly. When ever topics like this come up it strike some me that some people have a hard time coming to terms with the idea that sometimes things just happen. There isn't always a bad guy to point the finger at. The blame game in a story like this is pointless. A memory lapse caused these parents to lose their child forever.

I'm guessing you don't have kids. You don't make "memory lapse" mistakes with an infant.

Zen Aku

Education doesn't stop people from having memory lapses and simply forgetting their kid.
Losing track of your kid is one thing, forgetting your kids is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That's like cartoon level of forgetting your infant on top of a moving car.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That might justify a punishment of some kind, especially if the parent has other kids or doesn't express convincing remorse. But from what I've read, this type of case isn't a common end point for a pattern of parental negligence.

Alright, that's fair.

Obviously, this entire topic is not an easy one to discuss. But I get what you and others are saying.

ibyea

Banned
I basically grew up eaing my little bro, and never once I would forget about leaving him some place. Even my mom only lost track of him once at a Macy's and that was for a minute.

Because it doesn't happen all that often. It requires certain sets of condition. It requires them to be out of sight, and not make any sound. It requires that you have established a routine. It requires that the routine be broken even once, or stress to put your mind out of sorts. And then it requires for your brain to put a check that you have taken care of your child.

Yes keep defending "memory lapses" for forgetting your infant child while it's triple digit weather out in a car.

"Memory lapses" lol

Yes "memory lapses" lol.

But why let actual scientific research get in the way of your gut feelings.

For fucks sake you used the word "forgetting" right there in your own post. Jesus some people are too dense for their own good.

Damn, I have no kids, but if that happened to me I'd never forgive myself and jump off a bridge at the next opportunity. Life will be punishment enough for the parents who genuinely forgot their kids in a burning hot car.

Some people here think losing your fucking child isn't punishment enough... they'll have to live the rest of their life knowing they killed their own child.... TRy living with that, because it can happen to everyone (not necessarly leaving your child in a car, but killing him/her by accident) and also maybe divorce/being left alone in top of that if your partner can't forgive you...

People here act like if they don't go to jail, they don't care and they will do it again, fucking what?

these two articles in page one should be put in OP

Zen Aku

Memory lapses is basically the scientific term for you being an idiot and leave your child in a boiling hot car. Or that dad that left his infant son in the bath alone so he can go play video games for hours.

You can say it's memory lapses, but at the end of the day. It may be a mistake, but you're still a damn idiot. How do you forget your own kids.

Forgetting your kids like your car keys. Ridiculous.

Memory lapses is basically the scientific term for you being an idiot and leave your child in a boiling hot car. Or that dad that left his infant son in the bath alone so he can go play video games for hours.

You can say it's memory lapses, but at the end of the day. It may be a mistake, but you're still a damn idiot.

That's not what is happening here. This is not a case of parents knowingly leaving children in the car because they think their trip to the store will only take 5 minutes. Reading is not that hard. Neither is proper punctuation.

You can say it's memory lapses, but at the end of the day. It may be a mistake, but you're still a damn idiot. How do you forget your own kids.

So are you reading and ignoring the science in this or what?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...2be35962a52_story.html?utm_term=.cc05e642c0bd

Mailbox

people need to quit it with this crap in this thread.

ibyea

Banned
That's not what is happening here. This is not a case of parents knowingly leaving children in the car because they think their trip to the store will only take 5 minutes. Reading is not that hard.

Based on multiple GAF threads, all I can conclude is for many people reading is hard.

Reading this Pulitzer-winning article from the Washington Post made me a lot more sympathetic toward the parents in these cases.

Just read it. Really great article and makes me terrified to have kids because I'm forgetful by nature. There needs to be some sort of motion detection technology installed in cars, or something that activates automatically to air out and cool down the car after the thermometer registers a certain temperature.

Neo C.

To see a child die and to be responsible for it is one of the worst thing that can happen to us. I honestly can't wait to see my niece growing up and finally be somewhat self responsible, small children are nerve wracking.

Science is hard. Calling someone an idiot is easier.

I wonder how many people ignoring it and going based on their assumptions and gut feelings also at the same time ironically throw up their arms in the air about how the GOP ignores climate change or other things that scientific studies shows that is happening.

Losing track of your kid is one thing, forgetting your kids is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That's like cartoon level of forgetting your infant on top of a moving car.

You would think so, but sleep deprivation and stress are insidious. My kid is one and half now, and I still get seizing moments of panic when I go out without her because I'm half-convinced that I do have her or did, and I've forgotten her somewhere. Even though I know perfectly well that my husband has her and that I'm diligent about checking that stuff, things blur and overlap. Like I said before, I can't fathom forgetting her in a car and how hours could go by, but just the day to day grind of raising a kid does weird things to you. Leaving my keys in the door when I come home, putting water on to boil and destroying pans because I forget they were on, my husband driving around with his wallet on the roof of the car... These are all unfathomable, cartoonish things to do as an adult (especially as one who use to run a department for that matter), but they happen now, and my kid's even a good sleeper. I can't imagine what parents of difficult children go through, and it's all too believable that this stuff happens. It's horrifying and heartbreaking, but it does happen.

Zen Aku

That's not what is happening here. This is not a case of parents knowingly leaving children in the car because they think their trip to the store will only take 5 minutes. Reading is not that hard. Neither is proper punctuation.
But you just don't forget a child in your car. Okay man,.,.,.,
I'm reading it. You just don't. Its not like you forgetting grocery.

I'm glad you were able to so throughly refute all of that research with a simple "you just don't". You are so fucking insightful! Can i hear your thoughts on vaccinations or drug addiction!?'

"I know all of these doctors say addiction is a disease, but if you don't want to do drugs, just don't do them!"

So then you're just refusing to believe the science behind it for no other logical or reasonable reason other than it just doesn't make sense to you. Got it. Well supported.

EYEL1NER

I think it's possible that in the time since he's entered the thread, he's had a memory lapse and has forgotten how to click on and follow a link.
That or he's so certain that he is correct that he plain refuses to read any of the links; if it says something different than what he's saying, it must be bullshit. But then that makes it seem kind of foolish for him to bother arguing his point anyway: if he's so certain he's infallible, then what's the point trying to convince anyone else?
So I'm gonna go with "He forgot how to follow a link."

Zen Aku

I'm glad you were able to so throughly refute all of that research with a simple "you just don't". You are so fucking insightful! Can i hear your thoughts on vaccinations or drug addiction!?'
Vaccinations is good. Oh you thought I was going to say that it's bad? That it cause autism? Was that not the answer you were looking for?

Get off your high horse.
So then you're just refusing to believe the science behind it for no other logical or reasonable reason other than it just doesn't make sense to you. Got it. Well supported.
👍

ibyea

Banned

Biology don't care about your incredulity. And for parts of your brain, it's totally the same thing.

Vaccinations is good. Oh you thought I was going to say that it's bad? That it cause autism?

Get off your high horse.

👍

No. My point was that much like the idiot anti-vaxxers, you are choosing to ignore actual scientific research because you don't understand it, it's too complex for your narrow little world view, and it doesn't fit your preexisting (and born out of a position of extreme ignorance) narrative.

KuroNeeko

Add this to the list of nightmare scenarios that are just absolutely horrifying to even consider.

I think if I did this to my my daughter (my son is now old enough to get out of the car), I would probably kill myself. I don't think I'd be able to live with it. If I only had one child, yeah...I don't think I would make it.

I'm sure most of the parents who were unfortunate enough to experience this thought the same. Neither the brain, nor the person, is a perfect construct.

Zen Aku

No. My point was that much like the idiot anti-vaxxers, you are choosing to ignore actual scientific research because you don't understand it, it's too complex for your narrow little world view, and it doesn't fit your preexisting (and born out of a position of extreme ignorance) narrative.
Scientific researches doesn't exclude you from being an idiot if you forget your kids in the car.

Would you be as sympathetic if this was a nanny or teacher that did it to someone elses child? What if the child was yours?

Im not surprised no one is answering this.
Fucking. Read.

It's scientifically more likely to happen to parents, for a reason. Do you realise your strawman sucks?

I'd be surprised if you answer this.

Went into this thread with the "these parents are irresponsible monsters", but the evidence presented here has made me change my mind. This sounds like one of the worst things that could happen to you as a parent.

eso76

I'm guessing you don't have kids. You don't make "memory lapse" mistakes with an infant.

I thought so too, but it's a documented syndrome that according to scientific research can just happen to anyone.
Especially when you're sleep deprived.

I would always check, double check and triple check, still maybe there's something that can be done about it. Phone apps, Bluetooth pacifiers, sensors inside cars...
Also, if anyone sees an infant in a locked car they shouldnt hesitate to break the window and call the police.

Waikis

Before I had kids, I probably would have been unsympathetic towards people who leave their children in their car.

But man, the extended lack of sleep really mess up your mind. Especially for moms who are the primary carer.

Top Bottom