• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice released on iOS/Android

Bowl0l

Need confirmation if Capcom made AA on Android online connection as a requirement just to play.

Thanks.

Edit:
Just found out that Capcom made it mandatory for online authentication just to launch an app. All three of the AA games are now dead to me.

I'm guessing this went up before capcom expected it to (Since there is a PW stream later).
Well they had no problem stealth-releasing DGS a few weeks ago.

Funnily enough, this trailer was uploaded the same day as the Apollo Justice 3DS one and the day before the DGS one. It's just unlisted. Apollo isn't out yet either.

Fluloco

So, are there any differences between this version and the 3DS one?

My iPhone has a bigger screen than my 3DS, so I might prefer to play it there.

PaulLFC

You have to pay full price up-front for the Android version , while iOS has in-app purchase to buy the rest of the episodes.
I don't understand this. Google Play has had in-app purchases for a long time, and as good as the game is, a £19 up front price with no trial is going to put some potential buyers off.

Bowl0l

Not android but you can play offline on ios just tried it now.
Too bad for Android users. Looks like Capcom think that always online check is a feature paying customers want.

I don't understand this. Google Play has had in-app purchases for a long time, and as good as the game is, a £19 up front price with no trial is going to put some potential buyers off.
Don't forget the mandatory online check every time you launch the app. That's a deal breaker.

wetalo

Too bad for Android users. Looks like Capcom think that always online check is a feature paying customers want.

Don't forget the mandatory online check every time you launch the app. That's a deal breaker.

I didn't even realize Dual Destinies got an Android port. Just bought it. Booted it up with internet, worked fine.

Turned on Airplane mode and now the app refuses to start, throws an error. Ugggh, I'll live with it but it's far from ideal.

vg260

I've never played a Phoenix Wright game, but am interested on Andriod.

For $20 is this comparable to a full game on the DS systems?

I'm not averse to paying upfront for a mobile game where everything's included. Just trying to make sure I know what I'm getting.

edit: just noticed an Apollo Justice game as well. How do they compare? Thanks.

Hopeford

I'm a huge fan of the series, but I'm having trouble getting through this one.

The
"Everyone REALLY FUCKING HATES YOU thing is kinda awkward to play through. Like not in the usual funny Ace Attorney way, but in a 'game chill' sorta way. Just got finished defending Trucy, now I'm just waiting for Maya to be subjected to the same treatment.

wetalo

I'm not averse to paying upfront for a mobile game where everything's included. Just trying to make sure I know what I'm getting.

It's the same full $30 game on the 3DS, with the DLC episode included. The Ace Attorney games are really story oriented though, I recommend playing them in release order if you can.

Jamix012

Start with the original trilogy, also on iOS. You can kind of pick up Spirits of Justice without them but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yyyyeessss! I'm so excited! This is probably my favourite or second-favourite in the whole series. Now just waiting for the AA7 announcement. Pls Capcom? :'( <3

I'm guessing this went up before capcom expected it to (Since there is a PW stream later).
Do you know when the stream is?

Jawmuncher

What time is the stream?

Yyyyeessss! I'm so excited! This is probably my favourite or second-favourite in the whole series. Now just waiting for the AA7 announcement. Pls Capcom? :'( <3

Do you know when the stream is?

September 23
14:50 to 15:35 – Ace Attorney Series Special Courtroom 2017 – Featuring Motohide Eshiro (producer) and guest Kenn (Apollo Justice voice actor).
15:35 to 15:50 – Ace Attorney Series Studio Talk

September 23
14:50 to 15:35 – Ace Attorney Series Special Courtroom 2017 – Featuring Motohide Eshiro (producer) and guest Kenn (Apollo Justice voice actor).
15:35 to 15:50 – Ace Attorney Series Studio Talk

Thanks man!! I'm so excited!

Super into the Apollo voice actor too. Bonus!

heringer

Well, don't forget Google Play has a 2 hours limit no questions asked refund policy, so you can try the game before committing, at least.

OMG Aero

Can anyone check how much the in app purchase is for the special episode that was DLC in the 3DS version?
I've already played through the main game on 3DS but didn't get the DLC, and I can't figure out how to find the in app purchases on the dumb new app store.

Izuna

Banned
Can someone help? I don't know if I have played this one.

I played one on the uh, DS? Or whatever, it was on iOS and was after the 4th one with the other dude as the main character. So I think I played 5?

Is this 6?

Last one I played has a case in some space centre with rockets and shit.

emag

I played one on the uh, DS? Or whatever, it was on iOS and was after the 4th one with the other dude as the main character. So I think I played 5?

Is this 6?

That was 5, this is 6

What are differences - graphics, gameplay - between the Android/iOS ports and the original versions from DS/3DS?

Much better graphics, entirely touch-based gameplay, single (big) screen. Definitely the definitive versions of the games.

Firestorm

I didn't even realize there was one after Dual Destinies. As a one-time fan of the series, I feel like the quality really dropped off a cliff after AA3. I didn't much like Dual Destinies. How is this one compared to that?
Worst in the series by far. I liked Dual Destinies enough and really liked Apollo Justice.

Ghost Trick for android is still the dream! I may pick this up, at some point in time. Part of me wants to wait for an inevitable Seitch release though. Love me some Phoenix Wright.

Guess Who

Banned

Is this 6?

The last one you played was 5, yeah. This is 6.

What are differences - graphics, gameplay - between the Android/iOS ports and the original versions from DS/3DS?

Gameplay-wise it's basically the same except everything has been condensed a bit to work on a single screen (which is fine, it's basically a visual novel with a few menu options). Graphics are rendered at a much higher resolution than on 3DS.

Worst in the series by far. I liked Dual Destinies enough and really liked Apollo Justice.

You think Spirit of Justice is the worst in the series? In that case, you might want to state that as your opinion, and not as fact. I personally enjoyed Spirit of Justice much more than DD (even though I liked DD). I found Spirit of Justice to be one of the best additions to the series since AA3. To me, the text and story flowed much more smoothly, rather than hearing repetitions of "the dark age of the law" every five minutes..

Redd

I didn't even realize there was one after Dual Destinies. As a one-time fan of the series, I feel like the quality really dropped off a cliff after AA3. I didn't much like Dual Destinies. How is this one compared to that?

I personally loved the first 3. Liked the 4th game and hated the 5th game. Spirit pf Justice is okay imo. Maybe tied with the 4th game.

Good game, way better than the disappointing Dual Destinies. But do play them in order!

I agree with all of this. I found it to be much, much stronger of an entry than DD (which was still decent IMO). Just flowed much better. Although it looks like both of them matched Capcom's sales expectations, and most review sites seem to have them close to neck and neck. So it does just boil down to personal preference.

Definitely do play them all in order tho! It's not mandatory (I don't think I played them in order my first time. I played them in this order: 4 > 3 > 1 > 2 > 5 > 6. But that was just because of what I had available at given times) but it does make it lots easier to understand if you play it in order.

HyGogg

Banned
Yaaaas. Just when I was worried about running out of Switch games for the morning commute, this saves the day.

Izuna

Banned
Thanks guys, I'll buy it then.

Been playing I Love Hue on my phone exclusively since coming from Windows Phone, I want something legit XD.

vg260

It's the same full $30 game on the 3DS, with the DLC episode included. The Ace Attorney games are really story oriented though, I recommend playing them in release order if you can.

Start with the original trilogy, also on iOS. You can kind of pick up Spirits of Justice without them but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

Thanks, unfortunately, I'm not on iOS.

Aeana

You think Spirit of Justice is the worst in the series? In that case, you might want to state that as your opinion, and not as fact. I personally enjoyed Spirit of Justice much more than DD (even though I liked DD). I found Spirit of Justice to be one of the best additions to the series since AA3. To me, the text and story flowed much more smoothly, rather than hearing repetitions of "the dark age of the law" every five minutes..
It's impossible for a statement like "worst in the series" to be anything other than opinion, because it is derived from a subjective valuation. There is not an objective way to measure entertainment value.

It's impossible for a statement like "worst in the series" to be anything other than opinion, because it is derived from a subjective valuation. There is not an objective way to measure entertainment value.

I'm still allowed to dislike the way he worded his post tho. At least I think so. :) To me there is a huge difference between "I hated it" vs. "Worst in the series". Especially when there was little reason or elaboration to supplement it with. How is an unexplained post like that supposed to help the poster he quoted with their question?

HyGogg

Banned
So, are there any differences between this version and the 3DS one?

My iPhone has a bigger screen than my 3DS, so I might prefer to play it there.

Basically, it's higher resolution, nicer looking, and reworked to make sense on a single screen with a touch interface.

Firestorm

I mean, it's obviously an opinion and I have a few friends who share it. The first three cases felt really low impact and I absolute loathe both the prosecutor and the sidekick. The constant ragging on Phoenix gets tiring because there's zero break from it when both prosecutor and sidekick are doing it. The prosecutor and sidekick themselves were super irritating. I haven't been able to bring myself to finish it yet (Pokemon Sun came out as I was hitting the 4th case) but I hear the 5th one is still worth playing so I'll get back to it soon. The revolution plot sounded interesting but they haven't really done anything with it thus far aside from a tidbit in the third case.

I really hope they don't take this approach to it again.

I mean, it's obviously an opinion and I have a few friends who share it. The first three cases felt really low impact and I absolute loathe both the prosecutor and the sidekick. The constant ragging on Phoenix gets tiring because there's zero break from it when both prosecutor and sidekick are doing it. The prosecutor and sidekick themselves were super irritating. I haven't been able to bring myself to finish it yet (Pokemon Sun came out as I was hitting the 4th case) but I hear the 5th one is still worth playing so I'll get back to it soon. The revolution plot sounded interesting but they haven't really done anything with it thus far aside from a tidbit in the third case.

I really hope they don't take this approach to it again.

Thanks for at least elaborating a bit. I can at least appreciate where you're coming from a bit more now, and the one thing I will agree with you on is the prosecutor. He might be one of my least favourites (next to Gavin, who I think is indeed my least favourite). But I actually liked all the cases in SoJ. For me it was the opposite. The first two cases of DD were the ones I found to be really sort of boring. Cases 3-5 in DD were incredible tho, IMO. And if you get the chance, I would recommend checking out the last case in SoJ :) It's so good.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Spirit of Justice is as good as 1 and 3

wetalo

Thanks, unfortunately, I'm not on iOS.

If you're willing to *ahem* bend the law there's a DS emulator on the Android store that runs them flawlessly.

Obviously it's not as preferable as having local ports of them, but last year when I felt like replaying Ghost Trick and didn't wanna bust out my old DS, I played it on the DS emulator and it was really 100% emulation.

Was waiting for this even if I have a 3ds. Wanted a prettier Phoenix Wright on my Ipad. Would be nice if someone could confirm if it is not in "portrait" for Ipad.

NSESN

That was 5, this is 6

Much better graphics, entirely touch-based gameplay, single (big) screen. Definitely the definitive versions of the games.
A mobile version will never be a definitive version compared to a handheld version regardless of graphics. The control options are so much better on 3DS.

That's some big talk.

It's an opinion I mostly agree with. I'd personally just barely put SoJ under AA3, but above AA1.

The only thing I didn't like too much was the soundtrack. I mean, there are definitely a few standout tracks, but a large portion of the music that plays in Khura'in is just not memorable to me.

Yokai

Weird question, but do these games also support android TV and the like? Would love the play a AA game on a TV or computer monitor at this point...

CronoShot

Thank you for the Android version, Capcom.

Never bought on 3DS, thought Dual Destinies was disappointing. Looking forward to this.

Top Bottom