• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

DD

In my youth it was sometimes below -30ºC in the winter, yet we still drove with our mopeds through the countryside, but nowadays it rarily goes below -15ºC here in the southern Finland. Over +20ºC in the summer tends to be too stifling hot to me.

AYYY LMAO, I can't even imagine...

The "coldest cold" I've ever felt was 3ºC at the south of Brazil. It was insanity for me, and I'm not even from the north, where 40ºC is your everyday business. The average temperature here is 23ºC, but it gets really hot on the summer, which is good if you enjoy walking on the beach and take pictures like me.

Melchiah

AYYY LMAO, I can't even imagine...

The "coldest cold" I've ever felt was 3ºC at the south of Brazil. It was insanity for me, and I'm not even from the north, where 40ºC is your everyday business. The average temperature here is 23ºC, but it gets really hot on the summer, which is good if you enjoy walking on the beach and take pictures like me.

I've once experienced +40ºC , when I visited Paris in 2003, and it was hell for me. The suffocating heat, that hit the face when you came out from an air-conditioned car/hotel.

We only got about a month of +20-25ºC this summer, which is pretty short time to spend in the parks and whatnot, but I think it's better than getting six weeks of +30ºC like we had few years ago.

Good pics you got there, particularly those in black and white.

DD

I've once experienced +40ºC , when I visited Paris in 2003, and it was hell for me. The suffocating heat, that hit the face when you came out from an air-conditioned car/hotel.

We only got about a month of +20-25ºC this summer, which is pretty short time to spend in the parks and whatnot, but I think it's better than getting six weeks of +30ºC like we had few years ago.

Good pics you got there, particularly those in black and white.

Sheesh, I've heard that summers in southern Europe is effin hot. I know a woman who lives in Italy, and she says that where she lives the heat is terrible because of the sultriness.

And thank you for you kind comments about my pics. :)

Keep rockin'!

Melchiah

Sheesh, I've heard that summers in southern Europe is effin hot. I know a woman who lives in Italy, and she says that where she lives the heat is terrible because of the sultriness.

And thank you for you kind comments about my pics. :)

Keep rockin'!

I've been to Italy and Spain, and that sounds familiar to me. Going to a Spanish night club in leather pants was a big mistake. =)

oleg-zherebin-highnologo.jpg

Melchiah

Yeah, I was honestly surprised when I saw the price. I once rented a small cabin in the woods and the price (for a full weekend though) wasn't that dissimilar to this.

I was also looking for a cabin to rent in the summer, and even those for 5-7 people cost nearly the same for full weekend.

GRW810

It's the same for me with tropical places, although I can't stand a sultry climate.

EDIT: New page, new pics...

0apjwlV.jpg

Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds near the Galapagos Islands.

Fo5sXFc.jpg

Carlsbad Caverns in the Guadalupe Mountains, New Mexico.

88pSwwe.jpg

YdskdYy.jpg
You wrote captions for the first few photos but not the most interesting two of the bunch. :)

Melchiah

You wrote captions for the first few photos but not the most interesting two of the bunch. :)

I didn't have the information about them, and quick Google image searching didn't change that. Someone else found the location for the last pic though.

Melchiah

UV0agC6.jpg

CsyJEPS.jpg

http://blogs.discovery.com/bites-an...m&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=AnimalPlanet
Giant Wolffish Caught in Japan Near Fukushima Plant

This isn't the poster of the latest SyFy original movie. This is a wolffish, was caught by Hirasaka Hiroshi off the coast of Japan, near the Fukushima nuclear plant. While these fish are known to grow up to 1.2 meters, about 3.9 feet, these particularly creature was 2 meters long, or 6.7 feet. Hiroshi is obviously straining to hold up his catch!

Wolffish are native to the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, dwelling in deep waters and feeding on smaller fish. Their behavior is unpredictable, and they have been known to jump on land or into canoes to attack potential prey.

While there are anomalies in all species, the concern is that the abnormal size of this fish has been caused by the Fukushima plant. The nuclear planet melted down in 2011 after an 8.9 magnitude earthquake. Since the meltdown, fish caught in the waters around the plant have been reported to contain 2,500 times the legal radiation limit.

Update: Some sources are saying that this fish's size was not caused by radiation, but instead was just a lucky catch. Since there are less fishermen in the area, this may cause fish to grow larger than normal

Video about Wolffish in the link.

Melchiah

61unjVR.jpg

A WHALE OF A MOUTHFUL
MICHAEL AW

AUSTRALIA

A Bryde’s whale rips through a swirling ball of sardines, gulping a huge mouthful in a single pass. As it expels hundreds of litres of seawater from its mouth, the fish are retained by plates of baleen hanging down from its palate; they are then pushed into its stomach to be digested alive. This sardine baitball was itself a huge section of a much larger shoal below that common dolphins had corralled by blowing a bubble-net around the fish and forcing them up against the surface. Other predators had joined the feeding frenzy, attacking from all sides. These included copper, dusky and bull sharks and hundreds of Cape gannets, which were diving into the baitball from above. The Bryde’s whale was one of five that were lunging in turn into the centre of the baitball. Michael was diving offshore of South Africa’s Transkei (Eastern Cape), specifically to photograph the spectacle of the ‘sardine run’ – the annual winter migration of billions of sardines along the southeastern coast of southern Africa. Photographically, the greatest difficulty was coping with the dramatic changes in light caused by the movements of the fish and the mass of attacking predators, while also staying out of the way of the large sharks and the 16‑metre (53‑foot), 50-ton Bryde’s whales, which would lunge out of the darkness and, as he knew from experience, were capable of knocking him clean out of the water.

dQr3XMF.jpg

LIFE COMES TO ART
JUAN TAPIA

SPAIN

Every year, a pair of barn swallows nests in the rafters of an old storehouse on Juan’s farm in Almeria, southern Spain, entering the building through a broken windowpane. Equipment and tools are kept in the building, but the swallows seem unperturbed by people coming in and out. Last spring, Juan decided to try to take a very different image of the swallows. He first had to find the right painting to use as a prop – in the end choosing one familiar from his childhood. Making a swallow-sized hole in the oil painting, he moved it over the window that the swallows entered through. When the pair first arrived, they flew straight in through the window, unperturbed by the canvas. But rather than risk disturbing the birds that spring, he waited until the following spring to set up the shot. Using two flashes, both to light the canvas and to freeze the movement, he linked a remote control to his camera, which he positioned to shoot the entrance hole against the sky. He then retreated to his truck with his binoculars ready. He had no trip beam, and so it took 300 shots and 8 solid hours before he finally got the moment one of the swallows swooped in with the sky behind, as though it had punched straight through into another world.

What is that, Half-life 3 concept art?
No. It's just some art by Simon Stålenhag; he's one of my favorite artists. If you like Half-Life's art direction you'll love this guy.
I think the actual picture is supposed to be
some kind of teleporter that works on the duplication principle. As you can see it even, uh, gets rid of the original so there isn't more than one you.

Top Bottom