• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pier Solar |OT| this jRPG has Blast Processing

FloatOn

177275_front.jpg

INFO:
  • Developer | WaterMelon
  • Publisher | WaterMelon
  • Platforms | Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, Dreamcast, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, Microsoft Windows, OS X, GNU/Linux, Android, Ouya
  • Genre | jRPG
  • Release Date(s) | Sega Genesis: December 20, 2010, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, OS X, GNU/Linux, Ouya: September 30, 2014, Dreamcast, Xbox 360,Xbox One, Wii U, Android: Fall 2014

ABOUT:

Being a turn-based RPG with state-of-the-art aesthetics, Pier Solar is a story-based RPG about the journey of three young heroes from the town of Reja. In this prospered and peaceful town there live three best friends: Hoston, Alina and Edessot. Young and curious, they want to go on a herb-seeking quest to help cure Hoston's father's mysterious illness. Little do they know ... it will be the beginning of their lifetime journey where they will learn the true meaning of friendship and the thrill of adventure.

This journey will demand their courage and wisdom to solve a long-lost mystery while they face the forces of destruction dispatched by an evil man who is trying to change the world for his own good. Through this escapade, they will be reborn as great heroes to protect the universe from a mistaken purpose..

What makes Pier Solar so special?

Pier Solar was originally designed and developed for the SEGA Mega Drive and SEGA Genesis. Yes, you read that right!! It was actually the only newly developed game for SEGA's 16-bit system in the new millennium. It's not a port, fan translation, or a copy of any other game. Pier Solar is a 100% brand new, entirely original,16-bit RPG.

We'll get right in to what we think makes Pier Solar so special:
  • A 100% Original RPG! Pier Solar was developed from the ground up. An original world, storyline, soundtrack, characters, enemies, and battle style. No ports, translations or copying from any other game - it's all fresh! The first original 16-bit RPG to do this in over a decade!
  • A Massive World to Explore! Pier Solar has 50+ hours of gameplay, over 300 locations, nearly 500 unique treasure chests, and over 800 NPCs!
  • Director's cut! Pier Solar expands what was the biggest 16-bit RPG Ever! We released Pier Solar on a custom 64MEG cartridge (the average SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis game size is 12MEG), making it the biggest 16-bit RPG ever! This allowed us to push the 16-bit medium to a precedent setting level, with state-of-the-art aesthetics and things like full-screen cut scenes, background scaling and 3D modes. But Pier Solar HD is more than just a port, the game is getting a Director's cut, and includes an expanded story with new locations and challenges, that couldn't fit on its original Sega Genesis/Mega Drive release.
  • Epic Battle Tactics! We developed an innovative battle system that puts you in control of up to five characters and includes in-depth strategic moves such as counter-attacks and a special strategy called Gather, which stores energy to unleash even more powerful moves and spells!
  • Translated in 6 Languages! Pier Solar is translated in 6 languages: English, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, and German.
  • An Original Soundtrack! A beautiful soundtrack written just for Pier Solar that embodies everything great about a classic retro soundtrack!
  • There Are Surprises! We also packed-in many other surprises and secrets like hidden areas and mini-games!
  • Pier Solar truly is a love letter to the rich, imaginative 16-bit RPGs of a bygone era. We crafted Pier Solar in the same light - with an authentic adventure, that resonates deeply about life, death, love, family, and friendship. Remember the wonder you felt when immersed into your favorite retro RPG? Pier Solar captures that same wonder.
SCREENSHOTS:

Purchase the game HERE on Steam. (Purchase option and price not yet available)

-------

Pier Solar drops this Tuesday (September 30) on Steam. The price is not listed but I'm most likely going to pick this up day one. As a huge fan of Phantasy Star 4 and other Genesis era rpgs I'm pretty excited about this one. So much so that this is my first OT.
have mercy on me if it sucks

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This looks insane

Edit: also, good OT. Clean and simple.

Tohsaka

I'm glad it's finally coming out. I'll be getting it on PS4 for sure, it's nice that it even has a platinum trophy.

GulAtiCa

Can't wait to play this again! Esp on Dreamcast and then Wii U HD version.

For heck of it, I'd love a Master & Saturn version! :lol

Finally a traditional turn-based JRPG for the JRPG-Starved PS4!

Although it's 2D, i'll bypass that and support the developers.

Btw do we know the price?

gngf123

What the hell at the consoles? Genesis and Dreamcast?

It was originally a Genesis homebrew game! Also, believe it or not the Dreamcast still has the odd release every now and then, NG-Dev Team and some others keeping it alive.

I'm definitely interested in picking this up.

I was curious about this but never got to read any reviews or impressions. Did people dig it?

The very few impressions that I've read have been positive.

Aeana

I loved the Genesis version.

I backed this via the physical version tier... I wonder how long I have to wait. :/

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This game sounds right up my alley, and I'll pick this up on Steam most likely (depending on the price...), but I'm not sure I like the mix of HD backgrounds and blocky pixellated sprites... :\ why couldn't they redo the character sprites too? A bit disappointing.
This is great news. To me this is the kind of jrpg I grew up with. I can't stand the modern stuff.
Same. For the same reason, I've been enjoying Skyborn lately.

Though I hope FFXV changes that.
I have zero hope of that myself. But I haven't liked a mainline FF since 7 and any FF at all since Tactics, so...

I have this on Genesis. It's great. I kickstarted for a Dreamcast version but will probably pick it up on the Wii U as well.

jesu

I'll like get this whenever it releases on the X1.
Missed out on all the 16bit RPGs back in the day.

Heard about this on Genesis from way back. How does this actually stack up to the RPGs of the era, against say PSIV, Chrono Trigger, Lunar, Lufia, etc?

It looks kinda generic, and I don't want to be too hyped if this turns out to be like Beggar Prince, which was pretty boring.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I was curious about this but never got to read any reviews or impressions. Did people dig it?

I owned the MD version, sold it years ago. I thought it sucked, but I can barely remember what I disliked about it at this point and I have no idea what/how much has changed with the new version so my complaints may not even be relevant anymore.

Genesis? Was it released as a licensed game?

No, it was a homebrew release. They did actually attempt to procure an official license from Sega, but they weren't interested.

FloatOn

I owned the MD version, sold it years ago. I thought it sucked, but I can barely remember what I disliked about it at this point and I have no idea what/how much has changed with the new version so my complaints may not even be relevant anymore.

I just watched the classic game review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUg-tD2M8jo

he mentions that it gets a bit grindy and that there is some obscure hidden items that might prove frustrating.

But honestly, it's been so long since I've played this type of game I think I can overlook this stuff.

Been eyeing this for quite a while, mostly because telling my friends that I got a new Dreamcast game would be worth the reaction.

SOME-MIST

the op mentions an xbox 360 version (it's the version I originally pledged for) and it was scrapped due to licensing issues. those pledges were given the option of other versions per a backer e-mail a couple of months back..

so now I'm going to be waiting on the Wii U version haha.

just figured I'd give ya a heads up so you can update the platforms in the op.

arit

I hope the healing spell does not cause slowdown anymore and is less annoying to use outside of battles.

Top Bottom