• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pier Solar |OT| this jRPG has Blast Processing

FloatOn

I've played up to the second town now and I quite like it so far!

I think the combination of HD backgrounds and 16-bit sprites looks really nice, and the music is pretty good as well (I really liked the boss battle theme). The combat so far has been standard turn-based fare, though I can see the gather system bringing in more tactical depth once the characters start learning more skills that utilize it. Not much to say about the story yet as I'm only around 2 hours in, but the main characters have been pretty likable so far and there has been nothing offensively bad about the writing or dialogue.

There are some small problems I've noticed so far: the maps can be a bit too cluttered, and it's sometimes hard to tell if some objects are higher/lower than your characters. The enemy variety was also pretty lacking in the first dungeon area, as I think there were only 3 different enemy types in there.

Good to hear. I probably won't have a chance to play until late tonight after class. Keep the impressions rolling everyone.

Live on PSN, yay! And wow, 3.5gig. Pretty big for a retro rpg with no voice, fmv or anything.

I know with our own RPGs, music accounts for the vast majority of the total disk space used. Doesn't Pier Solar have 2 versions of each song (retro & modern)? Definitely could see that taking up a lot of space.

Also, oddly enough, the PS4 version says it only takes 2.2 GBs.

RPGCrazied

I know with our own RPGs, music accounts for the vast majority of the total disk space used. Doesn't Pier Solar have 2 versions of each song (retro & modern)? Definitely could see that taking up a lot of space.

Ahh, when I go to download it says 1.4, so I guess is the PS3/4 versions together since its cross buy.

Couldn't resist and purchased it.

Downloading right now. It was split in two files when i made the purchase. The PS4 version which i'm downloading is 2315 MB.

Yeah, there are two versions of the soundtrack, and if Watermelon didn't feel like trying to get a decent Genny FM simulation but rather did a decent recording of the FM soundtrack, that could be a decent chunk along with the PCM version of the soundtrack. Even compressed with mp3s or oggs at a rate that doesn't suck could still be about 350 MB at a minimum.

Just so you know You can only save at save points, and or auto save. Havnt figured out where else to save..Had to take a break, and tried staying at a inn and it did not save. So I lost about an hour worth of progress because my last solution was to trying to exit and well boy was I dumb ass shit. ><

aett

Just so you know You can only save at save points, and or auto save. Havnt figured out where else to save..Had to take a break, and tried staying at a inn and it did not save. So I lost about an hour worth of progress because my last solution was to trying to exit and well boy was I dumb ass shit. ><

Sounds like they changed that aspect as well. In the review posted earlier in this thread, they complained about how you were able to save at any time but when you loaded your file it reset you to the beginning of that area. I think I prefer knowing exactly when/where my file is saved with save points if that's the alternative.

Downloaded this to my PS4 today and played around for a few minutes. Holy Lunar nostalgia, Batman! Looking forward to digging in more tonight.

Should be s great remote play experience, too!

Sounds like they changed that aspect as well. In the review posted earlier in this thread, they complained about how you were able to save at any time but when you loaded your file it reset you to the beginning of that area. I think I prefer knowing exactly when/where my file is saved with save points if that's the alternative.
My issue with it is the fact I have only seen one save point I'm the dungeon I already completed. I was an hour past the point...

aett

Can't settle on 16 Bit or HD (definitely not the super eagle-looking HD+) - the HD backgrounds and text look really nice but the character art is a thousand times better in 16 Bit. Similar issue with the music... I love the retro sound but the remastered tracks I've heard so far have been beautiful.

hongcha

Does the PS3 version run at 60fps? I only ask because Dragon Fantasy Book II, another retro sprite-based 16-bit-style RPG on the PS3 (PSN download), runs at like 20-30fps, making it unplayable for me.

rjc571

Banned
Live on PSN, yay! And wow, 3.5gig. Pretty big for a retro rpg with no voice, fmv or anything.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ects/cid=UP2122-NPUB31476_00-HDDBOOT000000001

Wow, that file size is a deal breaker for me. I was interested in the Wii U version, but no way am I buying it if it's anywhere near that big.

EDIT: I mean, I guess I could still get it on Steam, but I was really looking forward to playing it on the Game Pad. I would have bought it full price on Wii U if it wasn't for the file size issue. On Steam I'll probably wait until it's on sale for like $3.75.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I've had this one sitting on my shelf for a couple of years now.

YM2wLPf.jpg

I pre-ordered the Dreamcast version too, but I think I may pick it up on Steam so that I can finally play it, haha

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man the game looks so good, I can't wait to play it on the Wii U.

I've had this one sitting on my shelf for a couple of years now.

YM2wLPf.jpg

I pre-ordered the Dreamcast version too, but I think I may pick it up on Steam so that I can finally play it, haha

Where do you get the Dreamcast version? I might check it out if the price is right.

FloatOn

Played around 30 minutes tonight. It feels good to play a traditional jrpg. It's been far too long. I'm looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

Lucent

Still on the fence for this at the moment. The concerns I read about earlier in this thread about the problems with the original make me hesitant to outright buy it.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Is the guide actually out now? I know it's been in preorder for a long time.

Looking forward to trying this game out, been a LONG time since I've played a traditional 2D RPG.

I'm fairly certain the guide isn't out yet because I've yet to receive my copy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Played around 30 minutes tonight. It feels good to play a traditional jrpg. It's been far too long. I'm looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

Have you played Skyborn? I was also craving a good ol' traditional JRPG and bought this when it was on sale for $3.74, and was honestly surprised at how good it ended up being. My review's in the link, if you're interested.

I hope Pier Solar is just as good, but the criticism on RPGFan are giving me pause...

FloatOn

Have you played Skyborn? I was also craving a good ol' traditional JRPG and bought this when it was on sale for $3.74, and was honestly surprised at how good it ended up being. My review's in the link, if you're interested.

I hope Pier Solar is just as good, but the criticism on RPGFan are giving me pause...

I have not played Skyborn yet. I'm not sure how inclined I will be to play another jrpg after this but I will add it to the wishlist just in case.

MilkBeard

Hilariously enough, I backed this game and it's been a while so I completely forgot about it. I just filled out my survey and I am going to be getting one of the Dreamcast collector's editions.

Mudo

So...last night I bought this game on PS4 having heard vaguely about it in the past (Genesis sytle RPG harkening back to Lunar-ish days? HELL YES). I loved it, played about an hour and a half. This whole time, I'm wondering how to save the game. The option ring has a Load and a Quit option but no save. I slept at the inn hoping for a prompt and got none. I went to the overworld and nothing was different there. Did a forest dungeon and some of a cave and still nothing.

I then went online to find out HOW to save (seriously how is this not explained or blatantly obvious in the game - and is there even a manual? I didn't see one anywhere on PS4 but may have missed it?) From the scarce details I could find people had said you can pretty much save anywhere and something about saving when you left a screen so I thought...OK...maybe it's auto-saving or when I choose Quit it will make a save. I chose Quit.

Back to title screen. NO SAVE GAMES. So, I get to replay everything I did now and try to figure out how to save the damn game. I see above someone said there is a statue or something in town??? I must have walked by it 1000 times last night. Could someone tell me where in town it is or what it looks like? Are these the only way to save the game? Otherwise I loved the game but this is some class A bullshit and it boggles my mind as to why it's so obtuse for such a basic function!

RPGCrazied

I'm blind or lost. In the sanctuary, with all the switches. Pretty sure I hit them all, yet I get to a place I can't go any further. There is one switch that requires a key I can't find. Help?

Phototropic

Neo Member
Back to title screen. NO SAVE GAMES. So, I get to replay everything I did now and try to figure out how to save the damn game. I see above someone said there is a statue or something in town??? I must have walked by it 1000 times last night. Could someone tell me where in town it is or what it looks like? Are these the only way to save the game? Otherwise I loved the game but this is some class A bullshit and it boggles my mind as to why it's so obtuse for such a basic function!
The save points look like big gold coins (at least in the HD version) on the ground. I actually thought it was money for some reason the first time I walked over one. I don't recall the exact location, but it was in the northern half of the city I think. The other one was in the cave right before the first boss battle.

Top Bottom