• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pier Solar |OT| this jRPG has Blast Processing

Amir0x

Banned
I owned the MD version, sold it years ago. I thought it sucked, but I can barely remember what I disliked about it at this point and I have no idea what/how much has changed with the new version so my complaints may not even be relevant anymore.

No, it was a homebrew release. They did actually attempt to procure an official license from Sega, but they weren't interested.

i wish you could remember, saying it sucked is strong language.

I'll still probably try it out, it's not so expensive.

Mr. RPG

I remember reading reviews a long time ago.. They didn't give this game very much praise.

It seems that the story and combat were the worst parts of the game (according to the reviews I've seen).

Here's a RPGFan review that gave it a 69%

I haven't played it yet though. I'm considering getting the Dreamcast version or holding out for a Vita / PC version.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I remember reading reviews a long time ago.. They didn't give this game very much praise.

It seems that the story and combat were the worst parts of the game (according to the reviews I've seen).
Yikes, that's not reassuring. Combat and story are my two most important criteria for such games, tbh...

Here's a RPGFan review that gave it a 69%

I haven't played it yet though. I'm considering getting the Dreamcast version or holding out for a Vita / PC version.
That review does seem to explain the issues quite well. :\ Fortunately I'm hoping the Steam version will at least fix the slowdown and animations, but I don't suppose it will fix the poor dungeon design and tedious battles... hmmm.

FloatOn

That review does seem to explain the issues quite well. :\ Fortunately I'm hoping the Steam version will at least fix the slowdown and animations, but I don't suppose it will fix the poor dungeon design and tedious battles... hmmm.

I played and actually enjoyed Ys I so yeah, I think I'll be okay if it's a bit on the tedious side.

It's kind of par for the course for this type of game. More concerning to me is the story issue, if that sucks I'll really have no reason to continue to play.

Either way, I'll pick this up tomorrow and drop impressions when I get a chance to play.

@MUWANdo

Banned

My most enduring memory is that it took forever to level anyone up and there were very few enemy/encounter types, so you'd spend an hour fighting the same couple encounters over and over in the hopes that one of your characters might gain one level. They went the Golden Sun route and lowered the encounter rate during dungeons and puzzle sections, too, but so many of the "puzzles" involved finding secret tunnels/switches hidden behind invisible walls or pillars or whatever, so there was a lot of monotonous wandering that never seemed to achieve anything and you'd never feel like you were making any real progress.

My other big problem was with the save system: you'd save in the middle of a dungeon but the game wouldn't actually save your game until the next screen transition, so if you saved and then immediately turned off the game it wouldn't actually save your progress, so you had to make sure to save next to a doorway or something so you could quickly walk off-screen. I always thought it was some sort of hacky technical hiccup but the developers claim they deliberately implemented it that way to keep people from savescumming or something? Whatever.

ElTopo

Banned
Glad to see this finally being released on other platforms. I'm not a fan of RPG's but I respect what the devs were able to accomplish. I'm looking forward to their beat 'em up game for obvious reasons.

foxdvd

Wait for reviews on this before you put your money down. The game gets a lot of love for what it is, and I think some of its flaws are overlooked. My brother bought the game for his sega, and gave up after 15 hours. He is a huge RPG nerd, and the idea that he actually stopped playing the game is shocking.

RPGCrazied

Didn't they fix a lot of issues from the genesis cart in the HD version? I mean, sure, the story isn't going to change, but other stuff could and I really thought I read they did, example like the save system.

Great to see that it's finally coming out. Probably going to pick it up, hopefully there's a PS+ launch campaign. (for a discount)

Have the Genesis version but only played a couple hours of it since I couldn't get the Genesis to not look horrible on my HDTV (not a problem with the game). From what little I played, the RPGFan review seemed accurate (man, that first town is a pain to navigate), but I'm tempted to try it again on a platform that isn't the Genesis.

When I first heard about this game I was already late to buying it for Sega. I decided to find a rom and I played about 4 hours of it. I deleted the rom and instantly pre-ordered it. That was over a year ago. I am really excited to get my hands on it tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be to long before we get our physical copies.

TalOrtRal

Go to watermelon games website and pre-order from there. $50 for dream cast and other physical edition.

I would be pretty careful with this advice. They've kept people waiting so long on the Genesis reprint (without any information) that it's probably safe to call it vaporware at this point. They won't even refund. Check out their forums for pages and pages of complaints:
http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/comments/factory/pier-solar_1/

I paid for the game and manual ($80 total) almost exactly two years ago and they won't provide info about the delay. They also won't respond to questions about refunds.

tebunker

Banned
Is there news of this coming out on WiiU?

I ask because the release date on Nintendos website is nebulous:

Q3 2014
Source: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/kvtyR7URe7nvM1E4GJH_2WRNfEhMgkWj

There own blog expects next month. It is finishing lot check.

Which is a shame because I will have Bayonetta next month.

I want this to be good I really do. However I recall having an interaction with one of their artists on another forum who was complaining about another kickstarted game being inspired by some of there artwork, and never using it. They came across as very whiny. Almost off putting.

Still interested in how the improvements actually change things and would love to get it if they did fix stuff.

Cautiously optimistic for this, but I think I'll wait for some GAF impressions first. Of course, hearing that the game has Phantasy Star IV-style cut-ins is almost all the reason I need to buy.

Krejlooc

Banned
Loved the genesis version and immediately backed the LE Dreamcast collector's version. Got my 2nd Dreamcast hooked up to my HDTV in the living room with a VGA box ready to play this game when it drops.

How crazy is it that they are able to pumpt out a 16:9-ish (its actually 16:8.~) at 480p from the dreamcast? That machine was so ahead of its time.

I would be pretty careful with this advice. They've kept people waiting so long on the Genesis reprint (without any information) that it's probably safe to call it vaporware at this point. They won't even refund. Check out their forums for pages and pages of complaints:
http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/comments/factory/pier-solar_1/

I paid for the game and manual ($80 total) almost exactly two years ago and they won't provide info about the delay. They also won't respond to questions about refunds.
It's coming, they said something about new manufacturing process.Also, I think it takes forever because they don't get enough to make a bulk order. I pre-ordered a year ago also.I will wait.

antibolo

Banned
The incoming release of the ports has reminded me about the existence of this game. I just pre-ordered for the reprint of the Genesis version. Oh yeah.

Aeana

Wait for reviews on this before you put your money down. The game gets a lot of love for what it is, and I think some of its flaws are overlooked. My brother bought the game for his sega, and gave up after 15 hours. He is a huge RPG nerd, and the idea that he actually stopped playing the game is shocking.
It has some severe balance issues, for sure, and that will probably bother some people more than others. I've been kind of holding out hope that they reworked it a bit this time around.

Honestly, it's a small wonder that this game even exists. The original release had about 6 and a half years of development (on & off) - most of the time games that are in development for so long end up getting cancelled.

It has some severe balance issues, for sure, and that will probably bother some people more than others. I've been kind of holding out hope that they reworked it a bit this time around.

same, I mean I figured they must known about the balance issue these past few years riiight? Either way I'm excited to finally play it

R.I.P

Seems like the game got stealth released on Steam already, went to the store page and I was able to buy it and it's downloading now. Will post some first impressions later!

Ath

Just received an email from Watermelon with my Steam key. Glad to see it's out, will give it a go later!

TalOrtRal

The incoming release of the ports has reminded me about the existence of this game. I just pre-ordered for the reprint of the Genesis version. Oh yeah.

I love the game, but just be prepared to wait a LONG time (potentially years) with no communication.

Alric

Own the original on my swanky Genesis Cart. I'd definitely pick up the HD version if I could end up getting it on the Vita at some point. Looks so good.

Banjo, you getting it on PS4? I figured you'd wait for the X1 version...

I don't know if I can wait any longer!

Depends what the delay is... for Blue Estate and Pure Pool we have heard "launch soon after PS4 version", and those games are still MIA 2 months later. :/

I'll likely buy it on XB1 when it comes out there too though haha...I'm a sucker for achievements.

R.I.P

I've played up to the second town now and I quite like it so far!

I think the combination of HD backgrounds and 16-bit sprites looks really nice, and the music is pretty good as well (I really liked the boss battle theme). The combat so far has been standard turn-based fare, though I can see the gather system bringing in more tactical depth once the characters start learning more skills that utilize it. Not much to say about the story yet as I'm only around 2 hours in, but the main characters have been pretty likable so far and there has been nothing offensively bad about the writing or dialogue.

There are some small problems I've noticed so far: the maps can be a bit too cluttered, and it's sometimes hard to tell if some objects are higher/lower than your characters. The enemy variety was also pretty lacking in the first dungeon area, as I think there were only 3 different enemy types in there.

Top Bottom