• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, guys, so how do we proceed with 5000$ tier? I'm not sure if 15 copies is enough...

edit: and I vote outlaws!!

Lancehead

Thinkers, spiritualists, and scientists of the world have theorized for thousands of years about the nature and purpose of this process, but others have turned to prayer for answer. Rather than illuminate the presumed higher purpose of this cycle, the gods have obfuscated the truth, at times spreading cosmological lies, pitting believers and empowered chosen agents against each other, and tacitly approving the prejudices of their followers to maintain power.

Gives me MotB vibe.

Zeliard

Gives me MotB vibe.

You can also tell where some of that Torment influence is coming in with the souls stuff.

Souls bouncing from life to life, an endless cycle of awakening and slumber, awakened souls who remember past lives, souls co-existing in the same body, etc.

But there seem to be plenty of elaboration and twists on the concept. Sounds pretty damn great so far.

Lancehead

The bit I take away from the Souls concept is that it's not like magic and most (all?) classes can draw from.

Through a variety of techniques (e.g. martial training, meditation, ritualistic evocation, mortification of the flesh), some individuals are able to draw upon the energy of their soul to accomplish extraordinary feats. These abilities range from the mundanely superhuman to the explosively magical.

duckroll

Guys, don't be fooled. There were only 3 inn tiers, and they're all sold out. We have something extremely limited. The new tier is limited to 6. I think we should keep with our current plan to have a NPC, a weapon, and an actual location in the game, rather than be tempted by this (imo) inferior new tier.

This is just my personal suggestion though, don't take it as an official word from NeoGAF mods or anything. :)

Phinor

I'm literally giggling with joy reading these updates. If they actually succeed in developing this game and improve from some previous attempts like Arcanum, this might be the game of all time.

Guys, don't be fooled. There were only 3 inn tiers, and they're all sold out. We have something extremely limited. The new tier is limited to 6. I think we should keep with our current plan to have a NPC, a weapon, and an actual location in the game, rather than be tempted by this (imo) inferior new tier.

This is just my personal suggestion though, don't take it as an official word from NeoGAF mods or anything. :)

If only "someone" reserves an extra pledge and call it a "Stretch Goal"! :D

Almighty

I like what I heard. Man so far they are really hitting the right notes. It is going to make the wait for this terrible for me though. The souls stuff sounds like a very interesting concept.

Like the new tier I imagine people will be able to have fun with that. As for the GAF Inn or the GAF Band. I will not voice an opinion on that. I will leave it up to those that donate to it. Sorry Shagg I am still undecided about joining in on that. :(

Dresden

Outlaws are disposable, inns are forever.

Despite this, some individuals do employ firearms for one specific purpose: close range penetration of the arcane veil, a standard magical defense employed by wizards. The arcane veil is powerful, but it does not react well to the high-velocity projectiles generated by arquebuses and handguns. As a result, more wizards who previously relied on the veil and similar abjurations have turned to traditional armor for additional defense.

Bueno.

I think my dream build right now is a stealthy backstabbing dude armed with a knife and a matchlock pistol. Fuck mages.

Perkel

Banned
I just watched JS video and i can only say one thing or three actually:

FUCKING ARCANUM 2

that's the vibe i'm feeling and i can't say i'm not happy about it.

You can also tell where some of that Torment influence is coming in with the souls stuff.

Souls bouncing from life to life, an endless cycle of awakening and slumber, awakened souls who remember past lives, souls co-existing in the same body, etc.

But there seem to be plenty of elaboration and twists on the concept. Sounds pretty damn great so far.

Got the same vibe as well

they somehow managed to put immortality there , in a great and subtle way :)

Sotha Sil

I hope Obsidian moderate it to some extent so that any player-created content is consistent with the world and not totally jarring.

I know (hope?) they will, and I know it's a pretty efficient way to get communities to pool resources. Still don't like it, but ah well.

Eternal souls and conniving gods! Most excellent.

Zeliard

I'm probably gonna play a mage btw. Sissy ass gun wielders. I'll shove a lightning bolt up your ass decked out in Elite Knight Armor +10.

I agree completely.

Llyranor

Outlaws! But anyway, try to go for both, using one as a stretch goal.

Fighting adventuring parties made for the best battles in BG2.

Digoman

Very interesting world description on this update. And more importantly, a world that I definitely want to explore. I really like the souls description.

And to whomever said in the thread that guns were to shoot wizards in the face.... bingo! :)

Looks like someone pledged for them Outlaws...

Oh wait... it me.

l6vMW.png

Inn or Out? Why not both?!!

Stretch Goals! If we can make more than $5,000; you guys decide if we keep this or not.

Zeliard

I like the concept of several souls vying for one body. That seems like an inevitable companion - a crazier, more comedic version of One of Many.

DieH@rd

Banned
Protagonist could even be in a different body from game to game in the series.

It would be epic if we could die several times during the game, each time entering new body [and going trough character creation process]. We already know that universe will support "co-existing" souls in one body, so dying player can forcefully [or naturally] posses someone else.

Top Bottom