• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire coming to consoles

ehead

I'm probably not the best user to post it here, but I did play the first few hours of the previous game. I haven't finished it due to some stuff diverting my attention but I remember the story was gripping, and gameplay was solid.

kfMJnXZ.jpg

The above concept art reminds me of Arcanum but pirate-themed. I'm in. Also, good to see a Switch version included.

Source: Game Informer

Last edited:

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Enjoyed the first on PC immensely, although I never finished it either. I had always aimed to return, and now with the second game releasing soon, it's probably a great time to do so. I'm very happy they have announced it will be available on the Nintendo Switch. It'll be perfect on the travel to and from work.

Last edited:

ehead

Enjoyed the first on PC immensely, although I never finished it either. I had always aimed to return, and now with the second game releasing soon, it's probably a great time to do so. I'm very happy they have announced it will be available on the Nintendo Switch. It'll be perfect on the travel to and from work.

Yes, this is what I was thinking as well. This is a perfect fit for portable gaming. I played this game back when I used to have a separate PC desk at home, but slowly moved on to PC couch gaming which I found really hard to do with isometric RPGs. My main concern now would be how well they will implement management for consoles.

grumpyGamer

Really happy to hear this, i hope they release the first one too, really liked it, always good news when it gets to more players.

but slowly moved on to PC couch gaming which I found really hard to do with isometric RPGs. My main concern now would be how well they will implement management for consoles.

Just get one of these for couch PC gaming = https://www.amazon.com/dp/COUCHMASTE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

yXy9xrS.jpg

First one is on PS4/XB1:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/pillars-of-eternity-complete-edition-ps4/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/pillars-of-eternity-complete-edition/bs34vnw7h61f

Controls excellent on PS4 from my experience.

Wunray

I want Divinity original sin 2 on consoles, heck I'll take the first one. Preferably on Switch.

Daymos

A switch version, excellent! I've become accustomed to playing on tv and also taking my games with me.. I had considered $1200 for a gaming laptop back in 2016 just to be able to play in any room in the house, but now I feel as though the Switch could fill that role just fine if it can get the right game selection.

I’m actually looking for the K63 wireless keyboard with the lapboard. But it’s still not available here. Last time I checked, Amazon’s out of stock too.

Damn. I love mine. There's something uniquely awesome about playing a text MUD on a couch with that thing.

Currently playing through PoE with a lapboard on my TV it's pretty great, will get the sequel when I'm done probably later this year

Tbone3336

Gold Member
Really happy to hear this is coming to Consoles as well. Currently playing through the first Pillars of Eternity on Xbox One X and it is really implemented well for the controller. I really like the fact that they did not change the PC M&KB controls for the PC players to accommodate controller support on consoles, but instead did a separate port, so both camps are happy, PC with full unchanged M&KB functionality and Consoles have a controller layout that was well thought out, ( at least in my opinion). I have already pre-ordered a copy of this for Xbox and PS4, (might switch to this to the switch :) ) so as to hopefully support further console support on future titles of this type.

Fbh

Man, I still need to get the first one. Will get it to it someday.

Anyway, good news. It's also pretty cool that the first one probably sold well enough on consoles to make it worth porting the sequel too

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I enjoyed the first one, but I am not a fan of PC gaming these days. Was hoping this would get ported to console (maybe Divinity OS 2 will get ported as well? Please? Maybe?).

Vawn

Banned
That's good, but I'll be much more excited when we get a PS4 Divinity Original Sin 2 announcement.

Isa

That's good, but I'll be much more excited when we get a PS4 Divinity Original Sin 2 announcement.

I second this. I've been going through Divinity:OS co-op with a buddy and it's been awesome, I really hope that the sequel makes its way to consoles eventually. Does Pillars of Eternity have co-op? Or is it single player only?

I second this. I've been going through Divinity:OS co-op with a buddy and it's been awesome, I really hope that the sequel makes its way to consoles eventually. Does Pillars of Eternity have co-op? Or is it single player only?

Single player only. I wish it had co-op like Baldur's Gate 1/2.

staen

I enjoyed the first one, but I am not a fan of PC gaming these days. Was hoping this would get ported to console (maybe Divinity OS 2 will get ported as well? Please? Maybe?).

It hasn't been that long since the PC release. I'd definitely expect it down the line.

For those who played Pillars on consoles, how was it? I feel like a rtwp game would be worse on a controller than a kbm.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
It hasn't been that long since the PC release. I'd definitely expect it down the line.

For those who played Pillars on consoles, how was it? I feel like a rtwp game would be worse on a controller than a kbm.

With the ability to pause combat, I think the control layout for controller was as good as could be expected and works really well, after about 1-2 hours, I was moving through the controls second nature. They use the Dragon Age Origins ( if I remember correctly) radial wheels by holding left and right triggers to bring up the wheels which let you drill down quickly to spells and items and inventory, even in combat and they worked imo, very smooth and responsive. I found the story to be entertaining and a good deal deep and movement and combat to be very fluid. The only small hiccup I found was in the inventory screen, similar to Witcher 3, it was not the simplest task to move between paneled sections of the inventory screen, but by no means was it terribly intrusive.

One downside to the game, and this was an issue on PC from what I have read as well, is the long load times, especially as the game progresses towards the end game and many more items are collected. If you have even a middling like of RPG's of this sort, and do not mind reading a good bit, ( there is a good deal of Voice Acting), but there is still a good bit of reading involved, I recommend this on Consoles or PC.

On consoles, if you happen to have an Xbox X, the load times are better than on the S or even the PS4 Pro. I have played it on all three. ( not miles faster but noticeable).

For reference, I picked the original Baldur's Gate up day 1 on PC. PoE on PS4 plays wonderfully, IMO. I love RTwP and they did a fantastic job. I wish BG: EE would come to consoles. Hopefully their new game does.

I want Divinity original sin 2 on consoles, heck I'll take the first one. Preferably on Switch.

It did come to consoles! I even put it on my goty list at like #7 or something.

I personally did not enjoy it as much as the first one. But still, an excellent game.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I still need to get the first Pillars of Eternity. Is the PS4 version considered acceptable (with the caveat that I don't have the option of PC)?

I'm loving all these CRPGs coming out for modern platforms. All those Infinity Engine games were great fun in my teenage years.

johntown

Banned
All I ask if that they bring controller support for PC. I wanted to play the first one but I am a PC couch game and I "prefer" a controller. I was hoping they would add controller support the PC version. Last I checked there was none and I am not buying an Xbox just to play it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yup, console versions are fine. I have it on PS4 Pro and X1X
Thanks! That's where I'll be playing it so that's why I asked. I'm really excited to give these a try. Nice little collection of CRPGs hitting consoles. Totally blows my mind that they exist in this day and age, let alone exist on the consoles.

Neolombax

How essential is playing the 1st game before diving into the PoE2? Will I be completely lost if I didn't play the first PoE?

Top Bottom