• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piscatella: In the US, PS5 is now trending 9% above PS4; XBS trails behind XBO by 11%

zedinen

V1rq734.jpg

YTD October
2023 PS5 ~4.24 m
2023 XBS ~2.19 m

2016 PS4 ~2.41 m
2016 XBO ~2.22 m

LTD (After 36 months)
PS5 ~16.16m
PS4 ~14.83m
XBO ~13.33m
XBS ~11.86 m

Doing worse than the Xbox One three years into the generation is a disaster.

Price cut + heavy bundling might be the best way out. Not to mention more aggressive deals for content.

Gap will only widen this Christmas after the Spiderman bundle starts doing the work.

Didn't some say that Xbox is doing better?

Don't remember the metrics they were using though.

Pop

Well there's really no reason to own an Xbox console. Microsoft is giving you every ability to play their games without owning their home console. They might say it matters to them but in reality it doesn't.

Xbox wants engagement first and foremost

Unknown?

Dang! Xone was close to PS4 until the end of the gen. PS5 is widening it considerably in their market that's 50%+ of their worldwide sells.

Price cut + heavy bundling might be the best way out. Not to mention more aggressive deals for content.

Gap will only widen this Christmas after the Spiderman bundle starts doing the work.

Surprised they haven't been more aggressive with price going into the holiday, but I guess there is still some time to make a move.

I think the problem is the cost of GamePass, particularly post-Zenimax + ABK. They have a lot of studios and a lot of studios means a lot of operating expenses.

When these games don't sell well enough and don't generate enough profit because they can't sell well enough or generate enough profit because GamePass strips them of their B2P sales, they end up paying royalties on PC sales, and because the XBS isn't selling enough units, they're going to cut back on these studios or cut the XBS.

They can't cost the price of hardware units because they're already taking a significant loss on hardware units and people aren't buying enough software on the hardware to offset the cost and they aren't buying subscriptions in large enough numbers to warrant it.

Vicious cycle

phant0m

too late at this point tbh. they needed to undercut soony 12 months ago if they really wanted to make gains. but a lot of people have PS5 already and tbh there's not really reason to buy an Xbox if you have one.

Dang! Xone was close to PS4 until the end of the gen. PS5 is widening it considerably in their market that's 50%+ of their worldwide sells.

It wasn't. This is only the first 36 months. The PS4 started to distance itself from the X1 and the PS5 is just continuing that.

Microsoft hasn't given enough X1 users a reason to upgrade and when they look for a new system they ask themselves if they should stick with the Xbox, and they're saying no.

At the same time, Microsoft hasn't given new consumers a reason to buy the XBS over the PS5.

A lot of people shit on Sony for PSVR2 not flying off the shelves, but it's a reason to own a PS5. Spider-Man 2 is a reason to own a PS5. God of War is a reason to own a PS5. Final Fantasy is a reason to own a PS5.

not great. wonder if Phil is getting ready to say peace out.

I thought he would get canned if the ABK deal fell through (I guess technically it still could), but that probably bought him some time. 18-24 months maybe.

But is there anything on the horizon that will change his fortunes for the better in the next 18-24 months? You have the PS5 Pro and a potential Sony reaction to the ABK deal. And then you have Wolverine and TLOU Season 2 on HBO. You probably have the Ghost of Tsushima movie coming out next year or in 2025.

Avowed and Hellblade are not going to change his fortunes.

If it's already this bad, how disastrous will things look for Microsoft once the PS5 Pro and Switch 2 are out? Possible LTD of -30%?

The only hope he has is that the PS5 Pro is a dud either technically or by virtue of its price in conjunction with the shape of the economy.

If Sony does manage to put out a 600-dollar PS5 Pro and drops the price of the base PS5 to 400 and the digital to 350, there really isn't any competing with that unless the PS5 Pro fails to deliver technically.

Woopah

That's kind of insane. I thought the Xbox One was a dreary generation for it.
It was and we're seeing some of the fallout from that now as normies pick their next console

First 3 years were pretty good for Xbox One in the US. It was selling pretty close to the PS4 and outsold it July-October 2016

Things really turned around after Sony released the PS4 Pro and stepped up it's first party efforts.

Last edited:

dem

Microsoft should probably advertise their console at some point..
I cant even remember the last time I saw an Xbox commercial.

Was there even Starfield commercials? I don't remember seeing any.

I think the last commercial I saw that featured Xbox was like... Back4Blood. No shit.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I'll caveat by saying I could be completely speaking out my ass, but man, it really seems like the hardware and software teams for the Xbox are beefing, because the software team is trying everything they can to make the Xbox hardware unimportant. And they doing a good job of it.

This console gen is pretty much a wash for Xbox and I think they are waiting for the start of the new one.

Next year they are suppose to release more big first party games but I doubt that will help at this point.

Top Bottom