• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork lists best video game music of the year

I'm probably in the minority here but I personally love the velocity 2x soundtrack. I guess I can understand why it's not on the list though

I know it's easy to complain about omissions in any list like this, but no Warlords of Draenor? Seriously? I'd rather see it on there than Hearthstone (not that Hearthstone's music is bad).

As someone who leaves the music on in Warcraft all time, absolutely not. I don't think I made it a week before I turned it off.

Videoneon

I have to admit, I am surprised.
Pitchfork are usually rubbish with their music reviews and recommendation, but that is a nice list.

Albeit missing some Western games, I have to admit, I haven't played a lot of games, what other games should be there?

Yeah I think Pitchfork blows, but some solid picks here.

Silicon Studio's heavy commitment to reviving and refining the old-school Japanese role-playing game shines through in just about every aspect of Bravely Default, from the blessing of developers/publishers (and industry grand poo-bahs) Square Enix to its frequently-punishing levels of difficulty. The game’s score, composed by Revo of the Japanese neo-prog group Sound Horizon, offers fan service of the highest pedigree, with best in show going to final boss theme “Serpent Eating the Ground”. From the chanting choir to the apocalyptic, arpeggiated guitars (too brutal for Guitar Hero), the false-calm of the bridge to the closing coup-de-grace, it’s a potential successor to Final Fantasy VII’s “One Winged Angel”as far as sheer dramatic magnitude is concerned.

2LzsaA8.gif

Just listen to this shit and you'll understand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlsWk-9UGT4

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FF14 ost > just about everything. Even though it came out late last year they have added a bunch more songs over time with each update. So that is still my fave ost :p

Also Guilty Gear Xrd

Though everything on that list is awesome. Also Bravely default is like 50 years old

Nesther

Man my backlog is so huge I still haven't played Tropical Freeze past the first worlds completion. I just kinda put it away after that and played other stuff.

Pimpwerx

They didn't play Transistor, because that game has amazing music. Music taste is subjective, but Transistor is one of the best soundtracks ever. It's not even my style of music, but it is of exceptional quality. Major oversight. PEACE.

Necrovex

So yeah, after hearing that Bravely Default song, I really need to pick this title up again and actually play through it.

JCX

Smash Bros has the best soundtrack IMO, it's just kind of cheating since most of it isn't new remixes, and almost none of it is completely original

Agree it's unfair, but I actually prefer its main theme to the others.

Wii U/3DS > Brawl > Melee > 64

So yeah, after hearing that Bravely Default song, I really need to pick this title up again and actually play through it.

I really love the live version on Youtube, sounds even better.

Necrovex

And I should probably stop putting Hearthstone on mute as I play it. I never thought that game would have great music (even though I know Blizzard creates some quality ass music for WoW).

So what are your feelings on Smash Bros being on the list?
I didn't actually know it was on there but now that i have youtubed it, I say that is a less obnoxious version of it but I don't think it's anything special either. Also the rest of the songs on SSB offset that song more than on MK8

andymcc

Banned
I didn't actually know it was on there but now that i have youtubed it, I say that is a less obnoxious version of it but I don't think it's anything special either. Also the rest of the songs on SSB offset that song more than on MK8

it's an optional DLC song?

I've never heard of any of these games.

That's a joke right? How is that even possible for someone that has almost 700 posts here? I must be missing the sarcasm or something.

Anyway, solid list. I think it could use a few more additions, but it seems most people here are in agreement that those on the list are deserving, it just needs to be expanded a bit.

Converse

Banned
Sure, there are other games that could be mentioned, but I have to say that this is the most sensible annual "best-of" list that I've read so far. 2014 really has been a watermark year.

Not to detract from recognizing original music, but I'm very glad to see Smash on the list. It's soundtrack, whether or not it's all-original, is just absolutely monumental.
songs! This amazes me.

MrBadger

Gotta say, I've been disappointed that Tropical Freeze's music hasn't popped on more sites for "best soundtrack". It deserves to win.

No Halo 2 Anniversary or Shovel Knight?

Would Killer Instinct Season One + Killer Cuts count since the album was released this year, or no since the actual game was a 2013 title?

Top Bottom