• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork's Top 50 Albums of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Aw man where's my band camp artists at. Shit pitchfork just doesn't get it.

rmt92

Glad to to see Future Islands's "Singles" on there. Lovely, lovely album. Probably will spend a lot of the day listening to the things I missed on this list.

J2d

Some god albums there, I'm sad that I couldn't enjoy iceage's album though, had such high hopes.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest problem I had this year is I like most of the artists on that list, but I feel like their newest output was a step down.

I thought Real Estate, Caribou, Flying Lotus, Ice Age etc... all had much better previous albums than this year's output.

Shoutout to Spoon bringing probably my favorite mainstream record, and Mac's Salad Days was album of the Summer for me!

Yado

Ha, no Ultraviolence or Tough Love..

Those aren't good albums.

I'm satisfied with the list, quite a few of a the albums I would have placed in my personal top 10 made the cut.

Tinashe - Aquarius
Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste
Lykke Li - I Never Learn
Arca - Zen
FKA twigs - LP1

Missing Little Dragon though.

J2d

Really? I thought it was their best effort yet.
I liked the first one the most, loved The lord's favourite as well as the video so I was pretty hyped but I don't think I've listened to the entire album more than two times =/

andymcc

Banned
I liked the first one the most, loved The lord's favourite as well as the video so I was pretty hyped but I don't think I've listened to the entire album more than two times =/

My girlfriend has listened to the record a good fifty times so I'm bound to hear it once or twice a week aha

Maybe it's a grower. Shrug

I find all their T-Swizzle love hilarious considering they didn't even review the damn album.

for it being so high on the list, i found this strange too.

Biggest problem I had this year is I like most of the artists on that list, but I feel like their newest output was a step down.

I thought Real Estate, Caribou, Flying Lotus, Ice Age etc... all had much better previous albums than this year's output.

Shoutout to Spoon bringing probably my favorite mainstream record, and Mac's Salad Days was album of the Summer for me!

Caribou? I felt Our Love was some of his best work in YEARS. Amazing album.

And the Pitchfork list isn't exactly "safe" imo, there are some artists on there that I enjoyed this year with excellent albums that didn't get props anywhere else, like Clark and Owen Pallett.

I listened to RTJ2 and enjoyed a song or two, but I don't really care for those guys overall. Interesting pick.

Same. It just didn't hold any weight for me compared to a ton of other albums this year.

Tapiozona

Banned
Maybe I'm just a dope but here's an exert from the #1 album..

This is volume for the voiceless, a silver bullet for the wolves, and a redistribution of sovereignty. It’s venom to immobilize cheaply uniformed imposters, flatulent greedheads, and cynical buffoons perverting the truth on cable news. When institutions lacked authority and insurrection seemed permanently imminent, El-P and Killer Mike hurled 11 grenades, offering redemption through untrammeled rage. If justice remained elusive, retaliation could be had as fast as closing your eyes and counting to fuck.

What does that even mean? Seriously..no idea. Do people enjoy reading this style of writing?

at some point, a top ten podcast list became more interesting than a top ten albums list. Embrace getting old, the music of your own time will be the only thing you can stand.

Haha, thanks. I do try and stay somewhat current, but I'm a guitar player at heart and these are unfriendly times.

I'm going to make an effort to check some of this out. So far I've listened to some Perfume Genius and I'm digging it.

andymcc

Banned

What does that even mean? Seriously..no idea. Do people enjoy reading this style of writing?

Lots of that is referencing the record itself.

Haha, thanks. I do try and stay somewhat current, but I'm a guitar player at heart and these are unfriendly times.

try the Cloud Nothings record. it's really reminiscent of the heavy guitar driven 80's alt stuff like Dino Jr. and Sister-era Sonic Youth.

Really glad Mr Twin Sister made this list but I think that album should be in the top 20 at least.

Check it out if you haven't heard it, think they're gonna put another out next year.

Jesus, I have no idea what's going on in music anymore, I guess St. Vincent. I didn't even know there was a new Eno collaboration.

I guess I'll just be old and resign myself to the NPR best-of list.

Edit: actually I know most of the artists in the top ten. Score. I'm not super old yet.

hidys

No totally surprised to see RTJ2 win. It is a fantastic album. Also glad to see Benji hit the top 10. That album is stunning.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Genuinely surprised that Cymbals Eat Guitars isn't on the list. Not surprised at Run the Jewels taking it. Still don't get the praise for that album and I have loved both of those dudes for years.

must be the first time you've read pitchfork. Every review and article requires that they rip up a thesaurus and then play darts with the pages, pulling the darts out and using whatever words they landed on to tell us why the latest single is better than sex.

try the Cloud Nothings record. it's really reminiscent of the heavy guitar driven 80's alt stuff like Dino Jr. and Sister-era Sonic Youth.

No kitten? That'll be my next stop for sure.

Genuinely surprised that Cymbals Eat Guitars isn't on the list. Not surprised at Run the Jewels taking it. Still don't get the praise for that album and I have loved both of those dudes for years.

That's a great name

Renzoku

Banned
This is volume for the voiceless, a silver bullet for the wolves, and a redistribution of sovereignty. It’s venom to immobilize cheaply uniformed imposters, flatulent greedheads, and cynical buffoons perverting the truth on cable news. When institutions lacked authority and insurrection seemed permanently imminent, El-P and Killer Mike hurled 11 grenades, offering redemption through untrammeled rage. If justice remained elusive, retaliation could be had as fast as closing your eyes and counting to fuck.

Oh, ok.

This is a site for stupid people, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom