• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork's Top 50 Albums of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's enough guitar stuff out there dude. If that's what you're looking for at least, but I assume so since you don't like electronic much. Check out bands like together PANGEA and Wand.

Thanks for the suggestions. I realize the problem is mainly on my end, since I don't go exploring for new stuff like I did back in the day. I fully admitted it's old man yelling at cloud syndrome.

I listen to a lot of 1990s and early 2000s guitar rock, indie rock, grunge, a bit of metal, etc. I like folksy stuff. About the most experimental stuff I like in terms of electronic stuff is Radiohead's OK Computer and Kid A, and both those are relatively tame compared to what's out there today.

I'll take a look at those suggestions. I need to find a site that really focuses on instrumental stuff, guitar rock, folk stuff, acoustic, what have you. I'm sure it exists, but I don't know about it.

Linius

Thanks for the suggestions. I realize the problem is mainly on my end, since I don't go exploring for new stuff like I did back in the day. I fully admitted it's old man yelling at cloud syndrome.

I listen to a lot of 1990s and early 2000s guitar rock, indie rock, grunge, a bit of metal, etc. About the most experimental stuff I like in terms of electronic stuff is Radiohead's OK Computer and Kid A, and both those are relatively tame compared to what's out there today.

I'll take a look at those suggestions. I need to find a site that really focuses on instrumental stuff, guitar rock, folk stuff, acoustic, what have you. I'm sure it exists, but I don't know about it.

I'm mostly in to guitar bands. Though I also like my fair share of more electronic and hiphop things. But I always post the stuff I like in the Neogaf Indie rock thread. I think following that thread alone will get you enough guitar albums to get going.

While I'm at it, you might like Ty Segall. And Big Ups.

Funny that a day after this is released , d'angelo just drops the best album of the year. Wonder if they will just stick it in the 2015 list.

terrene

Banned

I listen to a lot of 1990s and early 2000s guitar rock, indie rock, grunge, a bit of metal, etc. I like folksy stuff. About the most experimental stuff I like in terms of electronic stuff is Radiohead's OK Computer and Kid A, and both those are relatively tame compared to what's out there today.

You should check out The Hype Machine. It lets you filter music-covering sites by pretty specific genres.

http://hypem.com/blogs

They also have an app inside Spotify that lets you play music curated by those sites directly in the player.

Crayons

Banned
Listening to A Sunny Day in Glasgow - Sea When Absent for the first time and damn, love it. I already liked their old stuff and I didn't know this was released until now.

I can't make a new thread, but Sputnikmusic posted up the staff's top 50, feels much more diverse than this list. I may not like the community, but I agree with the ratings more often than not.
In three parts:
50 - 31
30 - 11
10 - 1

50. Thou – Heathen
49. Kenn Nardi – Dancing With the Past
48. Run The Jewels – Run the Jewels 2
47. Strand of Oaks – HEAL
46. Low Roar – 0
45. Audrey Fall – Mitau
44. Aphex Twin – Syro
43. Cymbals Eat Guitars – LOSE
42. Panopticon – Roads to the North
41. A Sunny Day in Glasgow – Sea When Absent
40. Anberlin – Lowborn
39. Objekt – Flatland
38. Pianos Become the Teeth – Keep You
37. The Jezabels – The Brink
36. Angel Olsen – Burn Your Fire For No Witness
35. Ne Obliviscaris – Citadel
34. Mastodon – Once More ‘Round the Sun
33. Marissa Nadler – July
32. Clipping – CLPPNG
31. Thee Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra – Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light On Everything
30. The Antlers – Familiars
29. Mekong Delta – In a Mirror Darkly
28. Shabazz Palaces – Lese Majesty
27. Grouper – Ruins
26. Spoon – They Want My Soul
25. Swans – To Be Kind
24. Todd Terje – It’s Album Time
23. Jessie Ware – Tough Love
22. Darkspace – Dark Space III I
21. Insomnium – Shadows of the Dying Sun
20. Spectral Lore – III
19. Have a Nice Life – The Unnatural World
18. St. Vincent – St. Vincent
17. Musk Ox – Woodfall
16. Behemoth – The Satanist
15. Gates – Bloom & Breathe
14. Ben Frost – A U R O R A
13. Kimbra – The Golden Echo
12. Banks – Goddess
11. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib – Pinata
10. Against Me! – Transgender Dysphoria Blues
9. Caribou – Our Love
8. Kishi Bashi – Lighght
7. Morbus Chron – Sweven
6. Dead Congregation – Promulgation of the Fall
5. The War on Drugs – Lost in the Dream
4. Trophy Scars – Holy Vacants
3. Sharon Van Etten – Are We There
2. The Hotelier – Home, Like NoPlace Is There
1. Flying Lotus – You’re Dead!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
You should check out that Leon Vynehall album. The opening track is almost like Snooze For Love type thing only with strings instead of the synths.

I've heard a few Leon Vynehall songs (not the whole album, mind) and his stuff is pretty good (though I'm sick of House of Dupree by now :p). Deep house has been really popular with dance enthusiasts these last few years (and now its going mainstream) but I'm wondering why him, of all the thousands of producers making the music, seemed to blow up...

That's now two years in a row they've released their list before a surprise, major release. I feel like they should wait until the year is officially over to do this poll.

Linius

That's now two years in a row they've released their list before a surprise, major release. I feel like they should wait until the year is officially over to do this poll.

To be fair, artists who decide to release their album in december know they're likely not gonna be featured in much year lists. Not just Pitchfork, but most of the bigger websites/blogs have already published their list.

Fantomex

El P needs to take rap flow lessons from someone though, please. Killer Mike carried both albums. El-P needs to be a hype man a la P Diddy

Steamlord

I like this list. Quite a few albums on there that made it in my list as well. But yeah, people shouldn't get so hung up on lists. If I take the yearlist from The Quietus for example, I've hardly checked out 10 albums on that list. But on the positive side, that means there's still a ton of stuff to check out for me.

12 of those are in my top 100. Glad to see Gazelle Twin getting some love, Unflesh is awesome and terrifying yet danceable. But that Nisennenmondai album came out last year, it was even in my top 25. Hmm.

Linius

12 of those are in my top 100. Glad to see Gazelle Twin getting some love, Unflesh is awesome and terrifying yet danceable. But that Nisennenmondai album came out last year, it was even in my top 25. Hmm.

Not sure where you're from, but these guys probably follow European release dates. They're from the UK after all.

Steamlord

Not sure where you're from, but these guys probably follow European release dates. They're from the UK after all.

Yeah, that might be it. It came out around the middle of the year here though, so that's quite a gap.

Anyway, I'll just take this opportunity to say that Nisennenmondai kick all kinds of ass.

To be fair, artists who decide to release their album in december know they're likely not gonna be featured in much year lists. Not just Pitchfork, but most of the bigger websites/blogs have already published their list.
The thing is Beyoncé was clearly one of the best albums of 2013. The same goes for Black Messiah. It's just silly to make a list of what is supposed to be the best albums of a year, and exclude some of the best ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom