• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel Paint Wii U Trailer (launches today in NOA) - GAFFER made

You can't release in whatever country if there's a required translation for it. Not sure if I should go into it more than that, but there are some odd facets to it.

No extra cost to me (from Nintendo), no. They don't charge anything for lotcheck and all that, just one fee for the devkit.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. Here are my two favorites from today:

zlCfzSmeg80-9mMyEC

zlCfzSmfCR8nz5EChk

I think we'll see more people both branch out in to their own stuff and larger canvas sizes/more detail as they learn. It's actually fairly relaxing copying something pixel by pixel; it kind of hits a sudoku type nerve.

The best way of advertising this game is to create (or incentivize users to create) viral contents. So I'd suggest to focus on users' creations.

Thanks for the thread! I'm thinking it'll be available in Europe in early (January?) 2015. Sorry about the delay to other regions, I just didn't have the funds to hire translators.

Ask GAF. We could colaborate on that. I assume it doesn't have that much text.

I am german and my GF is an English and German teacher...

GulAtiCa

I had originally marked it to launch in Canada, but was told I couldn't without the app being translated. I'll double check on it though.

hmm, maybe it's different for apps then games. Though for mine, I was just required to get the eShop page translated in that form we send in. As my game (ZaciSa) is out in Canada but game itself still English.

Sir_Vival

"I don't remember PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW being a part of the Star Wars movies."
hmm, maybe it's different for apps then games. Though for mine, I was just required to get the eShop page translated in that form we send in. As my game (ZaciSa) is out in Canada but game itself still English.

Yep, you were correct. It was just poorly written in the email I received and even more poorly read by me. I should be able to get it out in Canada fairly soon then. Thanks for informing me!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Very Nice idea, Sir_Vival! I've often wanted to have an actual Pixel program with proper grid and tools when drawing in Miiverse' native drawing app, and copy/paste and Fill tools are SO appreciated. I'm also happy to see there's multiple "undo" steps (how many max?) With the insanely large canvas and on-screen palette options, I hope people really start to embrace this as a full drawing tool as well, a nice alt to the current form of Art Academy that is on the service.

A few little small things I'd love to see personally:
  • Pixel sizes for (29 x 16, etc) for the canvas when selecting one.
  • Something that lets you know the size (in numbers) of your scaled-up brushes
  • LAYERS! (This doesn't bother me much, but I know it's a much wanted feature on Miiverse stuff) Something like 2 or 3 would be more than enough!
  • Info for quality of life stuff (I.E, how many pics you can have saved? How many hours spend on a specific picture?)

Non required, just desired!

zlCfzSm4bfQGCPRtHg

I'll be making use of this on my Toonami Sketch Dump stuff tonight, so I'm sure I'll get to put it through it's paces for that!

Thanks for providing Miiverse with another inexpensive graphic tool! A pleasant surprise, especially compared to the "I can't believe AA still hasn't been updated!" alternative surprise, haha.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Very interested in this sir_vival! Hope it catches on as people share more work!

I found this via Mazeon - it's called CGsuprise and its a photoshop script that takes some pixel objects as sides, and makes a 3D isometric style object out of them. It'd be really interesting if you could maybe take a peek at the source and see if its something you could do for your app!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp3hWfRH3ao

Looks like it would potentially be tough though!

If you are able to take the proceeds from this and work on a future project, maybe you could re-use assets and do a sort of pixel animation type thing. Mario-paint style. I used to love making wackly little cartoons in Mario Paint using my own animated sprites!

Exile20

Yep, you were correct. It was just poorly written in the email I received and even more poorly read by me. I should be able to get it out in Canada fairly soon then. Thanks for informing me!

Hope the game is doing well, lots of people are posting pixel art now. Good luck.

FirLocke

I definitely want this! I always wanted to try pixel art, even though I suck at drawing. Looking forward to Euro release.

jholmes

Hooray! Hopefully we can get the word out north of the border once it hits the eShop.

SigSig

I'll buy this once I have a Wii U!
Creating pixel-art on touchscreens is great, I have used a DS homebrew app before and I also love Sprite Something on iOS, even though it's kinda hard to create something good with a finger (haven't found a good stylus with a hard tip for iDevices yet).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That Nintendo (plus Megaman!) Smash-ish picture up there is very cool! And glad to hear Penless has taken to it, I've been a fan of his for quite a while.

Figured I'd show off the stuff I did with it Saturday / Sunday Night! 11:30 pm ~ 6:00 AM

Was really nice to get in and mess with a bunch of different sizes and canvases. It kinda surprises me that zooming in and out doesn't ACCURETELY show the pixel grid, It un-aligns, which is really misleading. If that could be fixed, it'd be great! There are some times where touching down on the pad lags, which... reminds me a lot of computer graphics programs, lol. Nothing that can't be learned to work around, but it's just odd to see how it has to process WTH I'm doing every once in a while. I swear "Undo" occasionally erases more than a single step of actions, but it's never too bad, and probably has to do with the occasional lagginess.

Zooming however, is great. So much more control there than in Art Academy. Since everything is based on single pixels, the amount of control one could have for minutia and details should be fantastic to see as time goes on. Also very nice to have circle and square brushes, glad to see such a thing made it into the program. Having Palettes on the same screen is also a nice little boon, and I think this is the most use I've ever got out of a "Replace" Color tool in any graphic app I've used. That works very fast and very well.

All in all, I'm impressed! I'd love to see some of the Jank ironed out, but for the price, I'm quite happy with it.

GulAtiCa

I see this is on the WaraWara plaza. Hope this means it's doing well! I expect Christmas sales to really help it grow.

Really impressed with what everyone is able to make with it.

Sir_Vival

"I don't remember PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW being a part of the Star Wars movies."
Just wanted to pop in and let people know it's now available in Canada; EU and Japan are still forthcoming.

Sorry about the pixel grid being off SAB CA - it happened when I updated to the newest version of their framework; didn't notice it until it had already gotten through lotcheck. It'll get fixed.

Some of the artwork coming out has been terrific:
zlCfzSqPJOkrWrvwfg

zlCfzSpq1HM0mRe8E8

zlCfzSoAL_k1-Y3sAW

zlCfzSqKyC8-wAf3BH

..and some has been very weird:
zlCfzSqEukYWwUAl3T

Top Bottom