• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel's (Cave Story) new game "Rockfish" (iOS exclusive)

Lopson

Neo Member
Oh, no PC version...

Okay. :(

Who doesn't have a single iOS device in this day and age? You have only yourself to blame quite frankly.

Good joke, man.

Anyway, I'm just glad to see the man doing something new.

Tain

User33 said:
I think people are exaggerating how poorly virtual d-pad and buttons control.

Depends on how demanding the game is. For this, it'll probably be an inconvenience, not a game-ruiner.

I'm not expecting this to be anything great, though. Cave Story and Guxt are mediocre games.

M3d10n

ninj4junpei said:
1zz3jo7.jpg

Pixel has sold out. :(
There's no such thing as iOS "exclusive" in the classical sense. But Pixel is one guy, so he cannot develop for multiple platforms on his own (all Cave Story ports were done by others).

Instro

While I dont own any iOS devices, its nice to see him putting stuff out. I hope this does well for him.

Jasoco

Banned
iPad version please. I wanna play this on the iOS device I actually like playing games on. And not in 2nd mode unless Apple pulls its head out of its ass and stops crippling the graphics rendering of iPhone games on the iPad. JUST DOUBLE THE PIXELS WITHOUT SMOOTHING OR LET IT DISPLAY RETINA!!!

Goody

Looks like I'm going to have to borrow the wife's iPad.

Speaking of Pixel, did the DSi Ikachan ever come out?

Clunker

All of the anger at iOS only fuels me. That's it, Snake. Hurt me more. Make me feel alive again!

SmokyDave said:
Edit: I find all the port begging in iOS threads hilarious because as soon as a mobile gaming thread pops up, all people seem to remember is Angry Birds.
This was the same thing the PSP went through.

"The system has no gamez!"

Well hey, this game looks pretty cool.

"This PSP game looks awesome! Bring it to another system, one that actually has gamez."

Well, why don't you get a PSP if the games look good?

"Because it has no gamez."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lopson said:
Good joke, man.

Would you find it a good joke if someone said "Who's never owned a PS2?" or "Who's never owned a DS?"

... because there are significantly more iOS devices than either and at this point they're selling about as much in a month as either of those did in a year.

angelfly

The game looks really interesting. Although I hate virtual pads this is still a day 1 purchase given how much I love Cave Story.

I'd be all over this except touchscreen buttons are an immediate no go for me. Hopefully Nicalis ports it to something with a dpad.

CaVaYeRo

Horseticuffs said:
Well, sheesh, guys. I know I'm new here, but it seems that Pixel must have a pretty decent relationship with Nintendo judging by CS and CS3d. I wouldn't get too upset if I were you.

I also wouldn't be too terribly surprised to see this pop up on other DD systems like the E-shop or Android Market. He could always just have some random dev-house port it, right? I don't know how hands-on he was with the DSi and 3d versions, but there's always a chance.

Well, I interviewed Pixel last week. This isn't about relationships: it's a pure test. This project will decide whether he can keep on making games or not.

The man abandoned his job in March and decided to try, because he always wanted to make games.:

Interview (in Spanish)

Dejé de ser un empleado de una empresa normal y corriente en marzo de este año. Decidí dedicarme a hacer videojuegos ese mes. Desde entonces estoy haciendo un juego para iPhone. El resultado de este videojuego decidirá mi futuro. Me gustaría dedicarme 100% a la creación de videojuegos y vivir de ello, pero quién sabe qué ocurrirá una vez termine el actual. Es posible que tenga que volver a un agujero a seguir trabajando.

Como tengo mujer e hijos, a lo mejor tengo que abandonar eso de hacer videojuegos yo solo y deba unirme a otras personas en una empresa. Pero una cosa: sea como sea, quiero volver a casa a las seis.

La verdad es que en el juego que estoy haciendo ahora, quería usar el sistema de armas de Cave Story, pero me daba una sensación rara porque ¡ese es el sistema de armas de Cave Story! Usarlo aquí... no sé, aún le estoy dando vueltas.

you can run it through Google or something, it has some things about Cave Story, this one and his life. I'll share more things about CS in the CS thread, because he also gave a speech about CS development, full of cool details.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
the amount of faith people still place in their livelyhoods on the iOS crapshoot is still surprising me. Don't chain yourself to this Pixel, don't want this "tests" results scaring you off game dev forever!

Haunted

Neuromancer said:
Who doesn't have a single iOS device in this day and age? You have only yourself to blame quite frankly.
hahaha

Stumpokapow said:
Would you find it a good joke if someone said "Who's never owned a PS2?" or "Who's never owned a DS?"

... because there are significantly more iOS devices than either and at this point they're selling about as much in a month as either of those did in a year.
I know what you're getting at, but to be fair - two of those are primarily for gaming and one is a multi-purpose device that can also be used for gaming (with mixed results - on screen controls for traditional genres still tend to suck ass).

It's a bit like asking "who doesn't have a PS360 these days?" in a movie buff forum. Sure you'll have a lot of guys that bought a 360 for the HD-DVD and a PS3 for Blu-Ray, but there will also be many (more, I'd wager, but I'm not willing to bet on that), who laugh in his face and tell him to get a dedicated device.

Riposte

Hmmm, it looks like he will never toss aside his indie roots. That is disappointing. Making games with bad spites on purpose is becoming increasingly more lame.

That frog NPC looks cool though. Too bad he isn't "in" the game itself.

EDIT: Scratch that, I think that is him in the first screenshot (unfortunately).

Riposte said:
Hmmm, it looks like he will never toss aside his indie roots. That is disappointing. Making games with bad spites on purpose is becoming increasingly more lame.
Pixel's one of the few who does it right. His pixel art is actually charming.

Riposte

_dementia said:
Pixel's one of the few who does it right. His pixel art is actually charming.

I think his art style is really charming, but the actual pixel art is really inconsistent and generally poor. This game looks way worse than Cave Story too, much more lifeless and dull.

Glass Rebel

Good luck to him. Cave Story is probably the best freeware game and one of the best games I've ever played. In fact, I'm going to play it right now with my new 360 pad.

Sadly I don't own iOS devices (yet?) so this makes me sad but if it's a success, we might see something for PC again.
Put Cave Story on Steam!

CaVaYeRo said:
Well, I interviewed Pixel last week. This isn't about relationships: it's a pure test. This project will decide whether he can keep on making games or not.

The man abandoned his job in March and decided to try, because he always wanted to make games.:

Interview (in Spanish)

you can run it through Google or something, it has some things about Cave Story, this one and his life. I'll share more things about CS in the CS thread, because he also gave a speech about CS development, full of cool details.

What the deuce?

You mean to tell me Daisuke Ayama has actually stopped wasting away his talents being a salaryman and has taken the plunge? And he is betting it all on an iOS project?

Oh how cruel the fates are. Quick, someone get that man up on kick-starter, I'll fund his game on my lonesome if I have to.

RooMHM

Even that would still be a joke. But the comparison doesn't stand, every smartphone does what iOS products do as well or better.

GhaleonQ

Hey fellow Pixel fans,

I tracked him down and interviewed him about Rockfish. Getting details was like taking a rock from a fish? I think there's still a lil bit to be learned, plus he gave me an exclusive photo for the article. It looks like the main character may have a friend/ally, unless your enemies smile at you too.

http://indiegames.com/2011/12/interview_cave_story_dev_ayama.html

I wish read this BECAUSE IT WON'T SHOW UP ON GAME, SET, WATCH ANYMORE.

Nice work, though, really.

soultron

Banned
The way he's laying out the screen on the iPhone/iPod Touch reminds me a lot of the Game Boy.

I'm skeptical of any game for iOS that uses a button overlay, but Pixel does great work so I'm going to be optimistic and follow this closely.
The move to set aside screen real estate for buttons? I quite like it. Smart design choice, if you ask me.

Looks very interesting so far! I'm excited. c:

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Even that would still be a joke. But the comparison doesn't stand, every smartphone does what iOS products do as well or better.

Well your OG Xbox could do everything that a PS2 can, and Id still call you a fool for missing out on PS2 if you call yourself a gamer.

It's funny how attitudes of platform agnosticism are considered a best practice on GAF... Until you mention smartphones. Then it's all "iOS.. Why would I get that?"

If you don't have iOS right now, you are missing out on a large chunk of modern gaming.. There's a lot more than Rockfish out there..

Top Bottom