• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Hut versus Domino's

Which pizza is the best?

• Pizza Hut

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • Domino's

Votes: 44 48.4%
  • Screw them both, I prefer Papa John's

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
If you had to choose between the two, which would it be?

I know the are several pizza joints out there but just between these two Goliath's...

Also a side question, which would be easier to start up?

Personally I like Dominoes.. I like their pizza and their stuffed bread..

I do like Pizza Hut's pan crust pizzas though..

HoodWinked

The three Pizza huts near me closed (one was the restaurant style, one takeout style (papa john's took over that location), one tacobell/pizza hut combo (converted to a tacobell only)) where as they've added a dominos locations near me.

Dominos is a good anytime pizza where as Pizza Hut is a bit heavy so you kind of have to be in the mood for that.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The three Pizza huts near me closed (one was the restaurant style, one takeout style (papa john's took over that location), one tacobell/pizza hut combo (converted to a tacobell only)) where as they've added a dominos locations near me.
Exactly. I think this is a good discussion to have before Pizza Hut goes extinct. :messenger_persevering:

cormack12

Gold Member
Uk Dominos is very different from US Dominos?

Pizza Hut is the Got - eating in I think.
Dominos thin 'n' crispy is good for treating while not killing calories. Italian is also solid. The standard base feels microwaved to me.
Papa Johns would have been first, but they've changed over the last 7 years or so. The cheese is no longer trademark and the fresh tomato base seems more synthetic now, which leaves you with a pretty standard base to differentiate.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Dominos

But fuck their red bell peppers. Not sure what the deal is, but I swear, it’s like they signed a contract with some random ass failure of a farmer to receive his old as fuck soft red bell peppers that he couldn’t sell and that’s what gets put on the pizza

Tschumi

Neither of them are my favourite, but it has to be Dominos.. one of the great experiences of my uni years was leading a sports club, every week we would book out a giant lecture theatre with a cinema-like screen and play fifa on it..

we would all give $5 and could afford 5 or 6 of their $5 pizzas and a few 1.25L bottles of soda... Really one of the best experiences of my uni life, and i have dominoes to thank for it.. besides my club mates and the xbox and so on ofc~

i miss it a lot because there's no affordable substitute in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orpheum

Both are complete and utter trash. I eat a lot of pizza in italian restaurants and compared to these, The chain pizza tastes like artificial garbage
fetchimage

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
In the UK, Domino's is king of the greasy takeaway pizza. Pizza Hut is kind of a relic and Papa Johns is the outsider choice that not many people seem to go for, but I like.

Also, yes guys, we all know they're not "real pizza". They're mainly for hangover cures and party food.

Duellist

Where I live both pizza hut and dominos are considered low level cardboard pizza. that being said I picked dominos. Don't have a papa John's but by looking at it it looks no different.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Round Table for a big chain, but I don’t live in California

Otherwise find a good local place. If it has to be Pizza Hut or Dominos, Pizza Hut

Tschumi

I'm addition to my earlier comment.. i once ordered a pizza to an airport hotel in NYC... it was square and about 2 feet across... It was the most delicious pizza I've had in the States.

My favourite pizza ever was from my local "eat pizza" store when i lived in Melbourne.

I have really good memories of Papa John's, i definitely think they're better than pizza hut or Dominos, but it's not in Japan nor Australia so i haven't been able to eat it in the last decade or so~

GeekyDad

Do Americans only have massive chains?
I'd never buy pizza from any of those franchises, it's all awful.

Yes, we have great places, but just like anything else, we have fast food. I think he/she is just asking about (like the other thread) between those two fast-food pizza joints.

And for me, it's Domino's. It typically comes down to crust for me. And that's why in the other thread I opt for Papa John's. Used to like Pizza Hut as a kid, but I just don't enjoy pan pizza anymore.

Nester99

If you have not tried dominoes in the last few years it might be time to consider it. Light years better than they used to be. The app is pretty solid as well.

cryptoadam

Banned
Can't stand Pizza Huts dough and sauce. Just something about it doesn't sit well with me. Though the ones with the buffets were cool.

Dominio's was my jam, but lately its losing its appeal.

I am starting to revert back to local mom and pop shops that have that greasy tastey pizza. Just something about those places that can't be beat.

Dominios over Pizza Butt, but local mom and pop over everything else.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I don't buy pizza from chains, I usually go for the locally owned pizza place, but if I had to choose, Pizza Hut is slightly better.

Dominos has better deals and offers, and generally for "fast food" pizza it's actually really good.

Pizza Hut tends to be greasier and fattier, and heavier. Also, their ingredients aren't that good and a lot of their stuff tastes really fake, and it can be expensive if you start adding things up.

Papa Johns has the most interesting pizzas and taste generally pretty good, but to me it's sorta like Dominos.

Overall I usually go with Dominos.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
In my area, you can count on Dominos for being consistent and being better than average but not mindblowing. I love their garlic crust (comes standard for hand-tossed orders here). But when Pizza Hut is good, it's great. Problem is (at least for the two locations closest to me) it's been hit-or-miss for years. If I could get a great pie every time I'd vote the Hut, but as it is I'd take Dominos of these two.

Papa Johns isn't too bad, but I stopped giving them money when the got woke a few years ago.

There is a local (regional) chain in my area called Blackjack. Used to be my go-to, but they recently hiked up the prices and scaled back the quality.

Little Cesars is greasy a shitbomb, but its cheap and you never go in expecting much so you're never too disappointed. They recently offered a half-pizza, half italian cheesebread thing that was amazing, but the last time I went in they told me they now only offer it thru grubhub or doordash services. I asked what difference it made whether I paid somebody to come pick it up or whether I walked in to order it myself and carry out. Of course the girl didn't have any idea how to answer that. Guess I won't be back there for a while.

The past few years I've been skipping the carry out chains and buying Home Run Inn frozen pizzas and adding my own fresh toppings. They're a bit on the pricey side, but I pick them up at Sprouts when they run the two-for-one sales.

Dark Star

I like Domino's garlic crust better, but Pizza Hut gives more/better toppings, and the cheesy crust is more filling, so I eat both for different reasons. I'll eat both any day TBH, they usually have good sales like large 2-3 topping pizzas for less than 10 bucks.

Overall, those two and Little Caesars and Papa johns all SUCK, and are meant to be dipped in ranch and covered in parmesan cheese and crushed red peppers. So if you want a decent chain pizza, then try Marco's Pizza or MOD Pizza

Last edited:
Business Wars - Pizza Hut vs Dominos is a must listen

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Do Americans only have massive chains?
I'd never buy pizza from any of those franchises, it's all awful.
Why do people even think this shit? lol

There are cities with 100s of different individual pizza restaurants, and dozens of local high end chains. (and in fact, probably over 100 cities in America fit that kind of scale, there are 10's of thousands of pizza places across the country)

There are also thousands of brands of high end chocolate.. thousands of high end cheese mongers, and anything else you weirdos not from here think we don't have. About the only truth to some American food urban legends have to do with fresh cheeses; but that's a state by state thing. We also have some of the best fresh cheeses in the world in different parts of the country.

But yes; our cheap shit is popular and shitty. This is a consumer paradise though, it's all about options.. and the major cities are flush with them.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Even with the decline in quality of most chains, I still prefer Pizza Hut over Domino's for the crunchy crust and the bomb breadsticks. Stuffed crust is still awesome, too, although they've failed to translate it into a million bad spinoffs.

Pizza Hut in Taiwan is awful, though.

Top Bottom