• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: Age of Ultron vs The Force Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kree

Banned
Really? I thought it was a complete mess.

Nah, I didn't have trouble following it, though I did think it moved too fast for the amount of content it tried to manage. It should have been about ten to twenty minutes longer for the twins and Thor.

Star Wars bored me though. Like, it's a more competently put together movie, but it felt kinda shallow and I just wasn't interested in most of it.

Magwik

Banned
Nah, I didn't have trouble following it, though I did think it moved too fast for the amount of content it tried to manage. It should have been about ten to twenty minutes longer for the twins and Thor.

Star Wars bored me though. Like, it's a more competently put together movie, but it felt kinda shallow and I just wasn't interested in most of it.
The last thing Ultron needed was a longer run time
Mad Max: There and Back Again was way overated.
Well I wanted to refrain from this but:
so8s8Vt.jpg

The Kree

Banned
The last thing Ultron needed was a longer run time

It didn't need to have anything removed, I liked everything that was there. It just needed more space to let the story breath a little bit and provide a little more clarity and character attachment. It was a little too concerned with shuffling along to next action scene. If they had left in the extra scenes with the twins in Sokovia before they met Ultron, for example, Quicksilver's death saving Hawkeye and the little boy would have had a little extra impact.

yeah...umm...go watch Furious 7, seems more up your alley

I don't know why you would say that; they both seem to be in the same alley: 2 hours of cars flipping over and exploding, and people hitting each other with pipes. Not a damn thing to think about in either one, just let the endless stunts wash over you. Maybe you love that or maybe you find it numbing (I did).

Dosia

I am not baiting. I legitimately thought the movie was boring. I found myself surfing the web on my phone numerous times throughout the movie, and my wife also thought it was stupid.

People, you're not getting out of this bet by saying "AOU is a better movie" (it's not). AOU lost big time. Just take this as a sign that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is slowly but surely crumbling. The big stars are on their way out, it's become way too big and sprawling, the main plot is taking its sweet-ass time and people are getting sick of superheroes. Just face facts: you are wrong and the thing you loved and cared about are slowly dying. The MCU is the Old Yeller of the movies and the gross of Age of Ultron shows. Star Wars is the cool new thing now and when Deadpool comes out and makes $2 billion worldwide, Fox will have the last laugh.

The Kree

Banned
People, you're not getting out of this bet by saying "AOU is a better movie" (it's not). AOU lost big time. Just take this as a sign that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is slowly but surely crumbling. The big stars are on their way out, it's become way too big and sprawling, the main plot is taking its sweet-ass time and people are getting sick of superheroes. Just face facts: you are wrong and the thing you loved and cared about are slowly dying. The MCU is the Old Yeller of the movies and the gross of Age of Ultron shows. Star Wars is the cool new thing now and when Deadpool comes out and makes $2 billion worldwide, Fox will have the last laugh.

LOL

Im glad I saw your post, made me laugh.

I'm pretty sure pharmacies are still open during the holidays.

CloudWolf

Hahahaha what the hell?

/dead

KorrZ

Mad Max was boring.

I tend to agree. I could only make it about half way through before turning it off.

I've never seen the original though and have no nostalgia for the franchise so it was pretty dry for me. Just generic action that wasn't enough to carry the non-existent story.

I've never seen the original though and have no nostalgia for the franchise so it was pretty dry for me..

The movie doesn't work because of nostalgia for the franchise. You don't have to have seen a single Max movie before this one.

I understand why the thread keeps getting bumped. Unsure why the best film of the year is taking shots to the kneecaps in it, though.

I tend to agree. I could only make it about half way through before turning it off.

I've never seen the original though and have no nostalgia for the franchise so it was pretty dry for me. Just generic action that wasn't enough to carry the non-existent story.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with the praise Fury Road got.

Heck, I wasn'teven familiar with the franchise a few days before watching it, and it was my first Mad Max. It's the best movie I've seen from this year.

DBT85

I have to say that I wanted to see Fury Road and my other half wasn;t too fussed. She'd seen the originals and I haven't.

We came out and I was just generally bleh about the entire film, while she loved it all.

Should've went with my initial prediction of TFA it's not really surprising how much sucess it's been having always felt like this movie had the chance to beat the Avatar record.

I really believe a lot of people are underestimating the cultural importance of Star Wars.

When was the last time you've seen a Star Wars themed birthday party in the last decade? How many kids do you see dressed up at Yoda or a Jedi at Halloween compared to Captain America or Iron Man?

From adults buying it for themselves or for their kids who they want to like Star Wars as much as they did except they don't give a shit because they are too busy playing Minecraft.

Nobody is underestimating it. We just no better that to underestimate the Marvel juggernaut. That and the Star Wars brand was heavily damaged by the prequels, hard core fans will certainly see it but what about mainstream audiences? That's where most of the sales will come from. I question whether Star Wars is still relevant to them.

Here's the thing you and your Marvel friends are ignoring: Star Wars is a different monster when compared to those other films. It shaped the modern pop culture scene.

The last SW movie made more than GOTG or Cap 2. That was 10 years ago in a world where WW gross was much smaller.

I'm well aware of Star Wars "cultural importance", which is why it has a shot at 1.4 billion.

I'm also aware that Episode 1 had much, MUCH more "cultural importance" hype behind it, that fans were eagerly awaiting it far more than VII. Only made a billion...

lol

After TFA little girls, the real money machines, are going to be all about that Star Wars.

I was right.

Hahahaha what the hell?

The world is ready for a Deadpool movie. Ryan Reynolds and the character he plays are hip, cool, and most importantly in the modern age funny. Even if you can't see the movie because it's rated R and kids suck anyway, every facet of social media will be filled with Deadpool quotes, memes, and gifs. Deadpool will become THE hit of 2016 if not of all time. It make Civil War, Batman v Superman, Star Wars: Rogue One, X-Men Apocalypse and TMNT 2 all look irrelevant. People will be lined up for blocks just to see Deadpool.

Dalek

I think Age of Ultron was a better movie.

Look-I really like AoU and I think it gets a bad rep on this board-Iron Man 3 is far worse and there are some defenders of it here. But Star Wars is a milestone. I had lost all interest in the franchise after the prequels - but that first teaser for Force Awakens blew my mind and let me know that things had changed for the better. Just the look of the film-the fact that it wasn't a green screen fest-got me excited. I'm sure lots of people felt the same way. TFA is the better movie all around.

If Episode 7 had been a George Lucas creation it wouldn't have done as well if bet. It's the fresh blood Disney's pumped it that's got me all worked up

mm04

I didn't make a thread. That's all that matters.

You did fine. A lot of people in this thread came out thumping their chests like gorillas on how AOU was going to squash TFA and they deserve the shit they get now that there's an obvious winner. Shouldn't have posted in this thread if you didn't want to be called on it afterward. Have any of them even come back here to admit they were wrong? THAT would be "being a bigger man".

Age of ultron was dog shit, everyone I know in real life who isn't a bed wetting nerd is sick to hell of these incredibly mind numbing superhero retreads, and with so many mediocre releases every..single...year who can blame them? Glad the wave has started to roll back, here's hoping the next insipid Hollywood trend will be something a little less childish.

Dalek

Age of ultron was dog shit, everyone I know in real life who isn't a bed wetting nerd is sick to hell of these incredibly mind numbing superhero retreads, and with so many mediocre releases every..single...year who can blame them? Glad the wave has started to roll back, here's hoping the next insipid Hollywood trend will be something a little less childish.

This is why Marvel movies will continue to do well. Even the people like you who claim to be sick of them and think they're shit continue to buy a ticket for every one so you can hop online and tell us they stink. Keep buying those tickets!

http://youtu.be/9G6xu-J_Dmc

The Kree

Banned

I haven't wet the bed since I was 14, thank you very much.

This is why Marvel movies will continue to do well. Even the people like you who claim to be sick of them and think they're shit continue to buy a ticket for every one so you can hop online and tell us they stink. Keep buying those tickets!

http://youtu.be/9G6xu-J_Dmc

Or maybe I suffered through the dvd while watching my nephew, at three years old he's the most mature marvel fan I know, not to mention the closest to being potty trained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom