• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2- Planetsized Battlefield now on Ps4

Two questions though. What makes New Conglomerate so popular? And are Vanu aerial craft good enough compared to the other factions'?

1. Space 'Murica.
2. According to PC Vanu players anything the Vanu has is outrageously underpowered and if you look at statistics that say their stuff performs best overall it's because of skill and teamwork only.

Hollow

Haven't had a chance to try this yet.

Did they fix the screen tearing shown a few months back? If not then I doubt I'll play it.
Just watching gameplay vids was enough to give me a headache.

Pop

Haven't had a chance to try this yet.

Did they fix the screen tearing shown a few months back? If not then I doubt I'll play it.
Just watching gameplay vids was enough to give me a headache.

Tearing is still there. But minimal

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How does it perform? I watched the Digital Foundry video from beta and it had awful screen tearing and virtually never hit 60fps, with drops to the mid 20s in combat. That was 2 months ago so I'm hoping they made improvements?

Pop

How does it perform? I watched the Digital Foundry video from beta and it had awful screen tearing and virtually never hit 60fps, with drops to the mid 20s in combat. That was 2 months ago so I'm hoping they made improvements?

Definitely runs better now compared to the beta. But I still think big crowded battles drop the fps into the 20s at times. Feels like it to me anyway.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely runs better now compared to the beta. But I still think big crowded battles drop the fps into the 20s at times. Feels like it to me anyway.

FtSjyMH.gif

espher

1. Space 'Murica.
2. According to PC Vanu players anything the Vanu has is outrageously underpowered and if you look at statistics that say their stuff performs best overall it's because of skill and teamwork only.

Most of the Vanu stuff /is/ hot garbage, it's just they have some really good stuff to go with it.

TR Medium Assault ftw.

AmFreak

Are there any good tutorials available in the webs? I remember trying this on PC, I had no fucking clue what to do and never tried it again.

The game is really simple (though ofc it seems overwhelming in the beginning).
There are 4 continents (Esamir, Hossin, Amerish, Indar) where the 3 fractions (Vanu, Terran Republic, New Conglomerate) battle on.
When you open your map you see the continent you are currently on.
The continent is divided into areas, the color of the area shows you which fraction controls it (purple=Vanu, red=TR, blue=NC).
You can also see the roughly number of friendly and enemy troops in each area by hovering over it (PC).
Every area has 1-3 control points, to capture an area you have to hold these for a few minutes.
You can only capture areas that have a connection to an area you already hold (there are lines between each area on the map that show you which area's are connected).
After you have captured the area it's map color turns to the color of your fraction.
You now can spawn in that area and you can use it's terminals.
There are 3 kinds of terminals (infantry - for changing classes or weapons, vehicles and air).
Your only objective is capturing area's.
Sometimes a mission with a timer appears (red lamp), most often it's a mission to capture a continent.
Capturing means the fraction which holds the most area's of that continent after the time is over wins the continent and gets certain bonuses.
After that mission is over the continent gets locked for a certain time.

grmlin

The game is really simple (though ofc it seems overwhelming in the beginning).
There are 4 continents (Esamir, Hossin, Amerish, Indar) where the 3 fractions (Vanu, Terran Republic, New Conglomerate) battle on.
When you open your map you see the continent you are currently on.
The continent is divided into areas, the color of the area shows you which fraction controls it (purple=Vanu, red=TR, blue=NC).
You can also see the roughly number of friendly and enemy troops in each area by hovering over it (PC).
Every area has 1-3 control points, to capture an area you have to hold these for a few minutes.
You can only capture areas that have a connection to an area you already hold (there are lines between each area on the map that show you which area's are connected).
After you have captured the area it's map color turns to the color of your fraction.
You now can spawn in that area and you can use it's terminals.
There are 3 kinds of terminals (infantry - for changing classes or weapons, vehicles and air).
Your only objective is capturing area's.
Sometimes a mission with a timer appears (red lamp), most often it's a mission to capture a continent.
Capturing means the fraction which holds the most area's of that continent after the time is over wins the continent and gets certain bonuses.
After that mission is over the continent gets locked for a certain time.

Awesome, thanks!

Will try it tonight, I think. Better start the download now, PSN FTW

Can I use Mouse/Keyboard with the PS4 version?

KageMaru

Wasn't able to try this out after the maintenance yesterday was it running any better?

It was running much better for me... For about an hour or two. After that, people were walking in the sky again and teleporting everywhere due to the lag.

I really hope they improve the look controls. They just feel horrible. You could tell it's a PC slapped on a controller.

Runs smooth from what I've seen so far. Was in a battle with about 100+ people and was surprised how well it held up. No tearing from what I've noticed.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Runs smooth from what I've seen so far. Was in a battle with about 100+ people and was surprised how well it held up. No tearing from what I've noticed.

Cool cool cool. I just booted it up but the server is still down so I didn't get past the menu.

So I gave the game a go yesterday on my PS4, but the game doesn't scale to my monitor correctly. Is there a way to make it properly fit a screen?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sorry GAF, but i'd rather not play than play as fucking Vanu.
Talk about shit armor design. What is this, Timeshift?

Terran 4 lyfe.

I've played 2,400+ hours on the PC version and put my name down. I was co-leader of an outfit on Emerald(HSTL) and currently am in a semi-competitive outfit now(Leverage). If issues smooth out over the next few days, I'd be willing to help out.
Hey HSTL! I played with them when they first started up on Jaeger back in 2012. I miss those drunks!

I just want to know how this looks and runs twice as bad on PS4 as it does on my 2010 rig (which wasn't even a super high end PC at the time). So disappointing.

So which faction will the gaffers pick? I think servers are still not online in EU but when i start playing i will pick the faction with the most gaffers.

Honestly I would have preferred TR since that's what I've always played, but Vanu can work as long as we get some competent Outfit and Platoon leads.

waiting for Ceres to come online as well

how are the lag issues on the US server now? yesterday in the livestreams people warped all over the place and stuff

Was really pulling for New Conglomerate ('merica) but ok... is there a community thread? Also, what US server are we on?
Genudine is the U.S. server

Ceres is for EU.

There is a community thread but last I checked it was dead, and it makes more sense for us to have our own thread since we don't have cross-platform play.
Would have been okay for me. As long as it's not Team Sweden. :)
THIS CANNOT BE UNSEEN. THANKS A LOT!

Private StaffyManasse reporting in. EU servers not operational.

Also this is the last day I will have an internet connection for who knows how long. Really bad timing!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why the shit is v-sync still disabled? Are they joking? The tearing is non-stop.

Just lock it down at 30fps and be done with it (or at least offer a toggle). It clearly isn't going to run at 60fps.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you choose a different squad than the one auto assigned to you? I was able to leave a squad, but couldn't figure out how to join another.

Also, what determines if you can spawn at a squad or not? Is there some indication of whether it is possible or not? I hate that it sometimes says "Squad spawn not possible" then just spawns you automatically somewhere, not giving you a choice to spawn somewhere else.

Finally- how does non-pay-for money get awarded? I seem to have gotten about 500 so far, but I have no idea how it comes in.

Donos

Why the shit is v-sync still disabled? Are they joking? The tearing is non-stop.

Just lock it down at 30fps and be done with it (or at least offer a toggle). It clearly isn't going to run at 60fps.

Man, what happened with this game. Something really went downhill since they announced it for PS4.

Top Bottom