• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 | Review Thread

28238_banner.jpg

Metacritic

Opencritic

And the reviews:

Twinfinite - 100

Destructoid - 90

We Got This Covered - 90

GamingTrend - 90

ICXM - 90

Gamereactor Denmark - 90

Everyeye.it - 86

Lazygamer - 85

IGN Italia - 85

COGconnected - 84

Examiner - 80

Official Xbox Magazine UK - 80

Attack of the Fanboy - 80

USgamer - 80

Eurogamer Italy - 80

EGM - 75

Arcade Sushi - 60

Karak

Glad we got a full review thread!
Mine for Angrycentaurgaming(ACG now)
Rated it a Buy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4RRDAdZQ44

As I mentioned in the other thread this really is a case of a title building on a solid foundation and then just shooting for the moon. Its nice to have such a robust singleplayer and the middle tit for tat ground game that exists at all times while your walking around the little game world is great.
Also man the collectibles and variants in the game have some kind of almost saccharine sweet tooth feel to them. It might be the mix of the virtual cards and the items and the new characters but it was a very real gameplay loop going on there.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Glad we got a full review thread!
Mine for Angrycentaurgaming(ACG now)
Rated it a Buy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4RRDAdZQ44

As I mentioned in the other thread this really is a case of a title building on a solid foundation and then just shooting for the moon. Its nice to have such a robust singleplayer and the middle tit for tat ground game that exists at all times while your walking around the little game world is great.
Also man the collectibles and variants in the game have some kind of almost saccharine sweet tooth feel to them. It might be the mix of the virtual cards and the items and the new characters but it was a very real gameplay loop going on there.
Thank you for your impressions! I have some questions about local player if you're able to answer them.

Are the online modes available in splitscreen? And does each player get their own sign in?

prudislav

Welp, thats a downer :-(
Really hate online-only SP as it kills the game in a long run (and MP on Origin was dead quite quickly after launch) , at least Origin has fast refund system :-/

PaulloDEC

Good stuff. I missed the first one despite really liking the look of it, so I might have to jump in on day one this time.

IvanJ

Banned
Excellent reviews, very happy for this game, and I hope it does well.

Got the first part for free last year during PSX, but my 3yo daughter and I just discovered how much fun it is. So I will certainly be getting the sequel, but after it goes on sale, we still haven't gotten our fill of the original.

bombshell

Thank you for your impressions! I have some questions about local player if you're able to answer them.

Are the online modes available in splitscreen? And does each player get their own sign in?

You can play the online modes in splitscreen versus bots, not versus humans. Every co-op mode can also be played splitscreen.

Yes, each player plays and earns rewards on their own accounts.

Nemesis_

You can play the online modes in splitscreen versus bots, not versus humans. Every co-op mode can also be played splitscreen.

So basically you can play against your friends in splitscreen but you STILL have to be connected?

Karak

So basically you can play against your friends in splitscreen but you STILL have to be connected?

YA you ALWAYS have to be connected regardless.

Thanks!

Here is the link to their answers for all things MP
http://www.pvzgw2.com/news/essential-information-faq

Choices are so difficult... Xbox One or PS4... :/ suppose I have 2 controllers on Xbox One...

Single player component and what seems to be a better split screen is great.

Infact apologies, I have Xbox Gold so I will get it on that.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"

YA you ALWAYS have to be connected regardless.

Thanks!

Here is the link to their answers for all things MP
http://www.pvzgw2.com/news/essential-information-faq
Thanks, I found their FAQ a little vague.

A shame there's no splitscreen online but the hoard stuff plus our own progression should make it worthwhile. Will wait for a price drop though since I'm only really interested in half the content.

In the mean time, I can unlock more characters in the first one!

Ushay

Man, I have so much to play in my backlog but I loved the original game, sunk many, many hours into it. Still have Tomb Raider, Batman, GoT, GoW Ultimate, Quantum Break (pre-order) and Halo on the side to play. And that's just half of what I have to play. Buying anything else at this point would be wasting money on potential sales later.

Decisions, decisions..

Could've swore everything I read leading up to this coming out said you don't have to be online to play it. So are PS+ and XBL Gold required?

Oh, can you earn unlocks in sp?

*Reading the above FAQ you don't need plus or gold, just an online connection so that's cool.

Could've swore everything I read leading up to this coming out said you don't have to be online to play it. So are PS+ and XBL Gold required?

Oh, can you earn unlocks in sp?

You earn things for completing quests, I believe. You earn coins to buy stickers for everything you do, and those sticker packs also have unlocks.

pitchfork

Never dreamed in a million years it would be the case, but the first one is still my most played game on Xbox One!

So hyped for this!!

Karak

To be honest I think this game deserves higher scores, but it's just my opinion.
Nice scores so far.

I am just happy to see many of them give it a shot and understanding singleplayer has been expanded. Many might have just skipped it

samred

Kssio_Aug

Every review thread (or any score compilation) of a popular game I enter, I expect to see a lot of 8s and 9s, not surprised tbh. The game however indeed looks pretty fun, as Garden Warfare 1 was. Can't wait to read some gaffers opinions though!

J_Viper

Glad to see its scoring well, I thought the beta was a blast.

I'll have to wait for a price drop, as I get the feeling this will be on sale quicker than Battlefront.

Calcium

Banned
Glad to see this is reviewing well. The first one was a seriously pleasant surprise for me, can't wait to dive into the sequel.

Its really awesome to see this game series end up being way better than it had any right to be.

I personally scoffed at the idea of turning PvZ into a multiplayer shooter when I first heard the original GW announced but its already become one of my favorite series of the current gen.

Kas

After seeing the initial reveal of the first game, I knew I'd never play something like it. It looked to kiddy and stupid. Plus, they turned a tower defense game into a shooter. Nice job.

Then I got the first game free during PSX, and fell in love. The game is great and just full of depth and just plain fun. It's good to see 2 doing well, and I can't wait to get it next week.

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask or if it was answered earlier, but is there any local (even if you have to be online) co-op modes?

Is there an single player story mode or is it like GW1?

Top Bottom