• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants vs. Zombies: Heroes announced (mobile, card game), releasing worldwide soon

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gameplay video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwrRa-xlPZQ
Gameplay video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43MgA__a9UE

Description said:
It's the lawn of a new battle! Plants vs. Zombies Heroes mobile lets you collect and choose from hundreds of characters across the PvZ Universe in this epic collectible card game that takes you beyond the backyard. Developer Jordan Kotzebue explains why Green Shadow is the masked avenger you've always wanted.

For the first time ever on mobile, play as either plants or zombies and unlock their lawn-inspiring super powers. Collect hundreds of characters, including new roster favorites from Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 like Super Brainz, Z-Mech, Citron, and Rose, and adventure through an all new PvZ Universe with a unique, comic-style narrative. Pick your favorite hero, assemble your team, and use your heroic skills to outwit your opponents in battle.

Battle and adventure by yourself against AI in the single player campaign, or battle against other players in real-time multiplayer! Challenge your friends or test your powers and strategy against the rest of the world in casual or ranked multiplayer battles – all in real time. Complete Daily Quests to earn rewards to expand your roster of Heroes and sidekicks.

In adventure mode, lead your favorite plant and zombies on an epic missions to battle and take down all opposing Heroes across locations as zany and diverse as the Heroes who inhabit them. Experience the story of PvZ Heroes via comic-styled story sequences revealed as your adventure progresses. Use the adventure mode to one your skills and fine-tune your strategy, experimenting with different heroes and powerful teammate combinations along the way.

VentureBeat: http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/10/ea-unveils-plants-vs-zombies-heroes-collectible-card-mobile-game/

pvz-44wyj0.jpg
pvz-2g3sng.jpg
PopCap creative director Devin Low started work on the game more than two years ago as a paper prototype that he built during his spare time. He experimented with many types of cards and playtesting. EA liked the idea so

The game has a total of 300 characters. EA hopes that the variety and the humor around them will make its collectible card game more accessible. When you see a new character, like an evil Zombie scientist, you see an animation that is like a motion comic. There are funny characters like Smashing Pumpkins.

“We took inspiration from other CCGs out there, and some of the team worked on Magic: The Gathering in the past,” Lindley said. “Hearthstone is both inspiration and competition. They took the genre in a good direction.”

The idea is to have quick games lasting three to five minutes. About a third of the characters are easily accessible, but you may have to dish out real money to buy character packs to get more characters. You can eventually earn all of the characters without paying.

FYI for anyone who has avoided PvZ 2 for a while: I think it just got it's last free world DLC, so it's a pretty damn good game at this point, especially for being F2P.

It's still pretty hard at times but it's still tottaly possible to beat it without any paid plants or powerups. It went from one of my least favorite mobile games at launch to one of my favorites.

I'm not a huge card game fan, but I might download this and give it a shot since I've been pretty happy with the franchise so far.

Rizific

I hate card games. But I hate hating them. I'm no good, and when it comes to building decks I am completely lost.

The actual card battling looks a bit like Monster Monpiece, which was actually pretty fun. Although that gameplay was completely overshadowed by the other gameplay, aka vitastroke.gif

Will definitely give this a shot when it comes out.

monmon1-620x.jpg

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Traditional PvZ and Garden Warfare are two of my favorite games of all time. Definitely will give this a try.

nampad

"Gameplay" videos...I still have no idea how it plays after watching both of them.

Anyways, everybody seems to be jumping in on the card games bubble. Popcap already surprised me with Garden Warfare though. They showed, that they can translate PvZ into another genre.

Managed to find a way to download it and so far it's pretty good.
You play your plants and zombies in lanes and they'll trade blows the same turn you play them. In addition to your minions, there are tricks and your hero powers.
Haven't really delved into it enough to tell whether or not it has any lasting appeal, but the art and sound is very charming and it's enough to keep me playing so far.
As for the F2P elements, there is only one currency in game that you earn by completing quests or playing the single player stuff. You also seem to earn a card after every match.
There is only one pack in the store that costs real money; the starter pack at $1.99 USD.

Rokal

FYI this is now live. I spent a few hours playing on my iPhone and loved what I played so far. The art and humor is on-point as always with PvZ and the game actually manages to have more depth that hearthstone by allowing Instants during opponents turns.

My big complaint is that I would prefer to play this on my iPad, like Hearthstone, but the game doesn't support landscape mode.

yatesl

There isn't an OT for this, is there? This is going to be popular.

I started playing a few days ago, feel free to add me (yatesl). Managed to save enough for 2000 gems (well, bought 550 gems for 79p on a flash sale) and got no legendaries :(

Been playing a lot of this, unfortunately the card pool seems really small, so I've kinda lost the motivation to keep going at it. I'm one of those types that picks a class and doesn't really use anything else.

I really like the game though, the end of games gets really intense when you're trying to work out lane positions and figuring out whether their shield will trigger or not.

yatesl

I'm so unlucky with the shield. It feels like every 1hp attack I do gives them 3, and every 5 attack they do gives me 1.

norm9

Big fan of this game. There's almost too many combos you can make with the different cards. Haven't gotten super far into it, but as long as it isn't p2w, I can see myself playing this for a good while.

Playing multiplayer is no fun though. Opponents have just way better cards.

Clessidor

Looks like another CCG with battling by summing monsters and beating down each others lifepoints. To be fair, it fits perfectly to the Plants vs. Zombies franchise. It's just I'm still secretly hoping somebody might fresh up the formula and doesn't follow the Magic route...

Well, the game looks fine. And like I said seems to fit to the Plants vs. Zombies franchise. Hard to say how deep this game goes by the video. But it seems like something with an low entry level and with potential to have a quick fun.

norm9

Hard to say how deep this game goes by the video. But it seems like something with an low entry level and with potential to have a quick fun.

I'm no expert, but the team-up system where if special "cards" are next to each other, they do various power ups and special attacks so there is a bit of depth. Kinda neat.

I don't spend very much (in fact, none) time putting my deck together and do pretty well against the comouter. Good game for breaks so far. We'll see the farther I get.

Holy crap. I just grabbed this a couple days ago to spice up my work commute, and I'm addicted. I'm a veteran Yugioh and MtG player, and I've haven't been enticed by any of this generation's digital card game offerings, but for some reason this one has me hooked.

I love Plants vs. Zombies, and I love the speed of the matches. And also the pay2win aspect doesn't seem to make a huge impact. I feel like I've made a competitive deck without paying a penny.

A huge bounceback for PopCap after the PvZ2 debacle.

Top Bottom