• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

UrbanRats

Monitors? Do you mean small computer monitors? As far as I know HDR only really makes sense for bigger screens, like 50 inch +. So maybe thats the reason why you don't find it in smaller ones.

That makes no sense.
It's just a technology that they implemented in TVs first, but it'll surely get to monitors in the future.
Why wouldn't it make sense for smaller monitors? It's just more data and detail on colors.

That makes no sense.
It's just a technology that they implemented in TVs first, but it'll surely get to monitors in the future.
Why wouldn't it make sense for smaller monitors? It's just more data and detail on colors.

I don't know. Thats just something I read when I was roaming TV and HIFI forums to figure out which TV to buy.

NYR

Okay, since the HDR content on Netflix didn't look as impressive as I thought it would, I downloaded some HDR demo videos from lg and yeah, whole different story, crazy contrast, colors an reflections. Now I can see the difference in detail, they can afford showing a dude in a super shiny golden armor against a dark background without blowing up the image. Dude is shiny as fuck, background is super dark but detailed.

Can't wait to see more of this stuff.

And yeah, HDR vídeos on Netflix aren't too hot from what I have seen
Where did you download demos?

Kyoufu

Okay, since the HDR content on Netflix didn't look as impressive as I thought it would, I downloaded some HDR demo videos from lg and yeah, whole different story, crazy contrast, colors an reflections. Now I can see the difference in detail, they can afford showing a dude in a super shiny golden armor against a dark background without blowing up the image. Dude is shiny as fuck, background is super dark but detailed.

Can't wait to see more of this stuff.

And yeah, HDR vídeos on Netflix aren't too hot from what I have seen

Netflix has some really great looking HDR content right now. Notably Marco Polo and Daredevil, both using Dolby Vision.

Bane

So this seems like a pretty dumb question but I want to be sure.

I recently got a Vizio M series and when I go into settings it says HDR - No, yet when I watch something on my Samsung UHD player I don't get the popup about no HDR. Is there a reason the tv's settings is saying no hdr? I didn't think it was something you had to enable but maybe I'm wrong.

So this seems like a pretty dumb question but I want to be sure.

I recently got a Vizio M series and when I go into settings it says HDR - No, yet when I watch something on my Samsung UHD player I don't get the popup about no HDR. Is there a reason the tv's settings is saying no hdr? I didn't think it was something you had to enable but maybe I'm wrong.
I have a P-Series, but I'd imagine the M is the same. Make sure you turn on "Subsampling" for your HDMI input the source is coming through. Settings > Inputs > HDMI Color Subsampling.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Waiting till Black Friday to pick up an LG C6 is killing me. General retail is about $3,500, but some third party sellers with a 12 month history of 100% feedback ratings on Amazon have it for about $2,800, no tax or shipping. With Amazon's A-Z guarantee I should be pretty much covered even if it turns out to be too good to be true right? The only issue is that those sellers are selling the TVs as new but in the box under condition saying, "Brand new factory sealed". I hear that's done to get around vendor agreements that you can't undercut MSRP by too much or else you aren't considered a valid reseller. Are there any issues that might arise from that like not being able to get warranty support? Or if I show a screenshot of my purchase with the seller listing that the item is brand new I should be able to get support from Amazon or my Credit Card?

What are the odds that any retailer will drop from $3,500 before tax to at least $2,800 out the door, or bundle anything with the TV that would help make up the difference? Should I just say screw it and buy now?

Any 75" 4K TVs with HDR that won't cost me a mortgage? The best I've found so far is a Sony (XBR75X850D) for $4,800 at Best Buy.

Vizio P75 C-1 is 3799 at Best Buy. And if you sign up at Vizio's website, you get a 5% off coupon, which BBY SHOULD match. Darned good price for that size, full array backlight, and support for both Dolbyvision and HDR 10. :)
I am blown away by the picture quality. I haven't had tons of time to check it out, but 4k UHD Bluray-Pacific Rim and the Revenant are astounding!

I have a P-Series, but I'd imagine the M is the same. Make sure you turn on "Subsampling" for your HDMI input the source is coming through. Settings > Inputs > HDMI Color Subsampling.
This post made me think of other settings... If deep color is on, on your bluray player , turn if off. (It's not HDR related)..

Waiting till Black Friday to pick up an LG C6 is killing me. General retail is about $3,500, but some third party sellers with a 12 month history of 100% feedback ratings on Amazon have it for about $2,800, no tax or shipping. With Amazon's A-Z guarantee I should be pretty much covered even if it turns out to be too good to be true right? The only issue is that those sellers are selling the TVs as new but in the box under condition saying, "Brand new factory sealed". I hear that's done to get around vendor agreements that you can't undercut MSRP by too much or else you aren't considered a valid reseller. Are there any issues that might arise from that like not being able to get warranty support? Or if I show a screenshot of my purchase with the seller listing that the item is brand new I should be able to get support from Amazon or my Credit Card?

What are the odds that any retailer will drop from $3,500 before tax to at least $2,800 out the door, or bundle anything with the TV that would help make up the difference? Should I just say screw it and buy now?
Obviously up to you, but if you think 3,500 is worth it, go for it if you want it that badly. I was going to wait for the Vizio P75 price to drop (though it isn't bad for what you get), and its worth it to me. I know how hard it is to wait, believe me, but everyone I have heard who owns the LG set loves it, so it's not like you would be getting ripped off. BTW, That 2,800 sounds suspect, but I could be wrong..

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Obviously up to you, but if you think 3,500 is worth it, go for it if you want it that badly. I was going to wait for the Vizio P75 price to drop (though it isn't bad for what you get), and its worth it to me. I know how hard it is to wait, believe me, but everyone I have heard who owns the LG set loves it, so it's not like you would be getting ripped off. BTW, That 2,800 sounds suspect, but I could be wrong..

$3,500 isn't worth it to me, that's why I was waiting for BF to begin with. Vizio wouldn't work for me, I'm getting this specific set because I need 3D. The $2,800 does sound suspect, and I've found a number of sites that offer it even cheaper, but I wouldn't trust any one of them. Though ordering through Amazon I can go with only high feedback rating sellers, and I should be covered by the A-Z guarantee.

spannicus

$3,500 isn't worth it to me, that's why I was waiting for BF to begin with. Vizio wouldn't work for me, I'm getting this specific set because I need 3D. The $2,800 does sound suspect, and I've found a number of sites that offer it even cheaper, but I wouldn't trust any one of them. Though ordering through Amazon I can go with only high feedback rating sellers, and I should be covered by the A-Z guarantee.
You think these sets are gonna drop to around the 2000's come black friday?

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
You think these sets are gonna drop to around the 2000's come black friday?

I don't really, that was kind of what I was just saying, though some people are still telling me to wait till BF regardless because you never know what's going to happen. Though the odds of a set going from $3,500 to $2,800 on BF are pretty slim, I was gauging what people thought. If I should still wait on the outside chance that some crazy deal does happen.

Gitaroo

Has anyone found an analysis on the PSVR screen?

Thought the full specs is already out there. 5.7" 1080p 120hz rgb oled. I honestly think the should have use their own xperia z5 premium 4k panel. Maybe make make it slightly bigger to 5.7" or 6" with wider fov. I used my z5p screen with google cardbox and you can't see any sub pixel at all. Best part is its also future proof with ps4 pro or ps5 when the hardware is powerful enough to run 2x1080p there will be no down scaling because the panel has enough pixels to display full 1080p on each sides of the screen with no compromises.

Weevilone

I picked up a Vizio P series 50 inch. I've hooked up my Xbox One S and run into the apparently usual bumps.

I've reviewed the various bits of info out there, so I understand that s firmware fix or two is incoming. Main question, will this combo currently display HDR UHD Blu-ray disks properly via the Xbox?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I bet the HDMI cable they bought was less than $10!
Fools!
Heh, you joke, but I've discovered that HDMI cable quality DOES matter.

For 1080p? Sure, you can use just about anything, but if you want 4K60 at RGB or 4:4:4, well, you run into limits quickly on both length and quality. A shit cable or one that is too long simply does not work at all.

I went through 4 or 5 cables before finding one that actually works properly. Annoying.

Vuze

For 1080p? Sure, you can use just about anything, but if you want 4K60 at RGB or 4:4:4, well, you run into limits quickly on both length and quality. A shit cable or one that is too long simply does not work at all.

I went through 4 or 5 cables before finding one that actually works properly. Annoying.
Which one do you own if you don't mind me asking?

I realized that my 10m cable might be the culprit for my issues with Shadow Warrior 2 4k60 HDR. SDR 4k60 RGB/4:4:4 runs perfectly but any 4k60 HDR combo locks to 29hz. Ordered a 3m (can't go any shorter really) cable which should arrive today and hope it alleviates the issue. >9m seems to be out of HDMI spec so this might be the problem.

I picked up a Vizio P series 50 inch. I've hooked up my Xbox One S and run into the apparently usual bumps.

I've reviewed the various bits of info out there, so I understand that s firmware fix or two is incoming. Main question, will this combo currently display HDR UHD Blu-ray disks properly via the Xbox?

From what I read, it should.

MCD

I bought one for the PC by Amazon Basic. Good enough?

f@luS

More than a member.
4k demo are what i expected from 4K video (lg demo are insane , and even some YouTube 4k are stunning )
I've been dissapointed with uhd Blu-ray they dont looks like much better than normal Blu-ray I've tried xmen apocalypse and dead pool both uhd in Xbox S and Blu-ray in PS4 to check the same scene on both within seconds and beside hdr color being better , iq isn't nearly As good as 4k demo where I can put by nose on tv while the picture isn't Blurry

Vuze

4k demo are what i expected from 4K video (lg demo are insane , and even some YouTube 4k are stunning )
I've been dissapointed with uhd Blu-ray they dont looks like much better than normal Blu-ray I've tried xmen apocalypse and dead pool both uhd in Xbox S and Blu-ray in PS4 to check the same scene on both within seconds and beside hdr color being better , iq isn't nearly As good as 4k demo where I can put by nose on tv while the picture isn't Blurry
Always depends on the source material. Quite a lot of UHD BDs are actually just upscaled from 2K or other from what I read on various sites.

hookurs

Hey there was a website that had a graph of the nits? I believe it was the nit count of all the HDR telveisions in the last two years. Does anyone know the one I'm talking about?

A bar graph that had the bars on the Y axis going from 0 to 2000 and beyond maybe?

f@luS

More than a member.
Always depends on the source material. Quite a lot of UHD BDs are actually just upscaled from 2K or other from what I read on various sites.
I bought only the good rated one (deadpool , xmen , Batman v Superman for exemple )
bvS is the worst exemple of good rated bad iq imho. What's the point of uhd 4K if there is such grain over the picture. Useless imho. I have Warcraft as well but I know the uhd is a miss color wise so it doesn't count.
Weirdly one of my best uhd IQ is creed which comes from a 2k. But picture is very crisp

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Which one do you own if you don't mind me asking?

I realized that my 10m cable might be the culprit for my issues with Shadow Warrior 2 4k60 HDR. SDR 4k60 RGB/4:4:4 runs perfectly but any 4k60 HDR combo locks to 29hz. Ordered a 3m (can't go any shorter really) cable which should arrive today and hope it alleviates the issue. >9m seems to be out of HDMI spec so this might be the problem.
I don't even remember, I need to consult my history.

Amazon Basics actually seem to work pretty well. It's definitely not a matter of spending more on cables, rather, just finding the cables that work best. It's quite annoying.

Amazon Basics actually seem to work pretty well. It's definitely not a matter of spending more on cables, rather, just finding the cables that work best. It's quite annoying.
I'll second this. I replaced all of my HDMI cables with Amazon Basics High Speed ones and haven't had an issue. P65-C1 and Pioneer SC-95 are the two components in my AV chain.

Vuze

I bought only the good rated one (deadpool , xmen , Batman v Superman for exemple )
bvS is the worst exemple of good rated bad iq imho. What's the point of uhd 4K if there is such grain over the picture. Useless imho. I have Warcraft as well but I know the uhd is a miss color wise so it doesn't count.
Weirdly one of my best uhd IQ is creed which comes from a 2k. But picture is very crisp
Ah, that's what you were talking about. Yeah, I found the film grain in BvS quite offensive even at 1080p.
I don't even remember, I need to consult my history.

I see. The one coming in is an amazon basics high speed, so I hope for the best.

Vuze

I really have my heart set on a ultra wide monitor. Do you guys know if these will work with consoles'?
You will get black borders for 16:9 content (sooo 98,5%). I think ratchet and clank supports 21:9. the order renders with black bars (for the cinematic feel :^)) so you can scan appropriately to remove them for "barless" 21:9 too.

Can't think of any other.

Detective

You will get black borders for 16:9 content (sooo 98,5%). I think ratchet and clank supports 21:9. the order renders with black bars (for the cinematic feel :^)) so you can scan appropriately to remove them for "barless" 21:9 too.

Can't think of any other.

That's so sad, more games should support ultra wide ratio.
The monitors are so beautiful.

But will the monitor stretch the picture? Scale it for none 21:9 ratio?

Rodin

Anyone owns an LG 55eg9100 oled tv here?

How is the lag now, is there any flaw I should know about?

I own one, it's the best 1080p TV you can buy and picture quality is better than the vast majority of 4K sets. Vignetting can be pretty annoying at first, but it becomes less of an issue after the first 100-200 hours of usage. Input lag is 29.6ms. I'd say go for it, but don't pay too much for it (less than 1500$ would be ideal), otherwise just go with the B6.

Brhoom

Banned
I own one, it's the best 1080p TV you can buy and picture quality is better than the vast majority of 4K sets. Vignetting can be pretty annoying at first, but it becomes less of an issue after the first 100-200 hours of usage. Input lag is 29.6ms. I'd say go for it, but don't pay too much for it (less than 1500$ would be ideal), otherwise just go with the B6.

Thanks! Should I set it to PC or Gaming? And did you clibrate it yourself or followed a guide?

Oh I hope no one buys the last unit in the store, I went to buy it two day ago but some paper issue prevented me and now I have to wait until tommorow or up until Thursday. I don't want to find out it sold out :'(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A lot of the brightness conversation depends on your personal setup.

You need less brightness the darker your viewing conditions.

Rodin

55 seems way too dim to me on my B6. In HDR it sets itself to 100 but usually I have it on about 78.
I don't know, maybe the B6 is different but i have my EG910V on 56 and it's perfect. If i crank it up too high i can barely watch it. I guess with HDR is different, but it should still look great considering the absolute blacks.

A lot of the brightness conversation depends on your personal setup.

You need less brightness the darker your viewing conditions.

Also this. I always watch my TV in a dark room.

Thanks! Should I set it to PC or Gaming? And did you clibrate it yourself or followed a guide?

Oh I hope no one buys the last unit in the store, I went to buy it two day ago but some paper issue prevented me and now I have to wait until tommorow or up until Thursday. I don't want to find out it sold out :'(

Set the HDMI icon to PC and use game mode to achieve the lowest input lag. I calibrated it myself with a basic tool (AVS HD 709, useful to set brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, etc) but i didn't touch the white balance.

Hopefully you'll manage to get it, let us know if you do and if you like the set.

ACH1LL3US

So one of the issues I always have with tv's is uniformity when playing games on them. It is always an issue for me in fps and racing games.

I am thinking on getting a Sony projector, the hw45es. It has low input lag and every projector I have seen does not have uniformity issues, you just have to be able to control the room lighting to get a good picture.

Anyone have experience gaming on a projector? I would love to hear what people think of it.

Chao

Wow, this is fantastic, there are a lot of demos there indeed.

Will definitely check these out later today, they will be a great way to test this set to its limits.

Thanks a lot man!

Top Bottom