• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum boss says next-gen consoles ‘more of the same’.

Boss Mog

Ah, yes. The good old times when consoles like the Ps3 used weird custom hardware:

1199265-2j47ig4.png
The CPU in the 360 was also a custom PowerPC based CPU just like the one on the PS3.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Looking at the time SAT / PS1 / N64 / Dreamcast sequence, these custom hardwares did have something very exciting about them, that is missing in modern consoles, but this is in many ways thanks to the many shortcommings of early 3D tech and different solutions to those issues. The market has matured in a way, that experimental, craftily engineered special hardware is not required anymore and would only bring minor advancements at a high cost. So, while I agree that something was lost, on an emotional level, I still think it is an overall gain, because developers can use comfortable development platforms and very easily comparable system architectures to focus on the game itself, rather than the specifics of the systems.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
true. it's just another console. most powerful yes but performance will not be as good as on PC. that's the way it works.

maybe next gen we'll finally get 60fps as standard (who am i kidding?). 4k 30fps will probably be standard with the odd game here and there hitting 60fps. smaller titles might hit 100+fps OR run at 8K.

stranno

PS3 was a frankenhardware but, in the end, it was just the Cell running Linux with a GeForce 7 series.

Sega managed to build an extremely cheap arcade board, the Sega Lindbergh, and they ported some Lindbergh games to PS3 pretty straightforward.

Unlike Namco that just bundled the PS3 hardware into their latest Namco Systems.

Last edited:

Romulus

true. it's just another console. most powerful yes but performance will not be as good as on PC. that's the way it works.

maybe next gen we'll finally get 60fps as standard (who am i kidding?). 4k 30fps will probably be standard with the odd game here and there hitting 60fps. smaller titles might hit 100+fps OR run at 8K.

There's already odd games running 4k 60fps on X1X, except they're not even indie games like gears 5 and forza. I think we'll see more 60fps games, not standard or even close but alot more. If they can hit 4k60fps with a tablet CPU, a Zen 2 will with way more GPU power will make it even easier.

Last edited:

cireza

PG's games will be perfectly at home on consoles that are more of the same, since their games are more of same as well:messenger_ok:

Joking, I love PG, even if there is some truth to this in my opinion.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
Platinum games look like PS3-360 games at the beginning of gen so it's funny to hear them say that the next genes wouldn't bring anything :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't see any reason to prefer one console over another these days; it's all the same. Being a fanboy these days is ridiculous.

And c'mon guys, there was a time before the PlayStation 3. There was difference between the PlayStation and Saturn. There was a difference between the Super NES and Mega Drive/Genesis. There was actually reason to prefer one over the other, according to one's personal preferences. Vastly different libraries were the result.

Consoles are the same, games are the same. Exclusivity lost it's meaning; most games are multi-platform releases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zog

Paracelsus

Games have been creatively bankrupt, like past scraping the bottom of the barrel and digging into the ground, for at least a decade.
The only way to change that is enforce a practical VR setup with proper 1:1 controls, because better hardware won't change anything. They've built a generation of cinematic games audiences so next gen they will still push for super realistic bland and boring graphics, until nobody but a few companies has the budget to keep pushing.
It's unfortunate, because indies have been stuck in between 1990-1994 graphic wise, I was expecting them to reach at least PS2 level but it doesn't look it is ever going to happen.

This is good news, then.

The CPU in the 360 was also a custom PowerPC based CPU just like the one on the PS3.

Correct. The CELL processor was an odd design choice by Sony for a game console and was nothing special. Waternoose in the 360 was a cleaver, cheaper variant (looking back, perhaps MS should have stuck with an x86 though).

It was the panic-stage late addition of the Nvidia GPU and oddly split memory pool in the PS3 that made it less powerful overall in the real world.

Sony's huge investment in its first party game devs did more than make up for the technical deficit though. Sony really showed how a good platform holder ends its console life cycle with the PS3. In the final years, the PS3 ended up being my favourite platform last gen.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
The PS4 and Xbox One are basically the same in this respect - at their core, they are PC architecture devices except with unified memory. The key advantage that a console system has is that the software only has to support the hardware configurations that have been shipped and the exposed APIs can be carefully chosen and limited to the ones that the hardware can support with minimum overhead. As a result, the console system will generally produce better results than the same hardware would if it was running a general purpose OS.

One thing I can see potentially happening is for the developers to start writing for the lowest common denominator. Say you have two consoles X and Y with the same basic architecture, but X has a more powerful main CPU and Y has a more powerful GPU - but if you are developing multi platform then there would be an obvious incentive to develop the game so it would run on both systems with minimal modification. The easiest way to do this is to develop it so it would run on both the weaker GPU and the weaker CPU.
I'm sure you are wrong. They'll just change the video and graphical settings like on a pc until the game runs well.

V4skunk

Banned
The ps3 was a complete turd outside the hype with custom chipset. The only time games looked good was when a ungodly amount of money was thrown at it by first party studios. Outside of that, junk.
Did you even own a ps3? In the last few years it dominated the x360 technically in most multiplats.
Even Killzone2 a mid life PS3 exclusive looked better than Halo4 an x360 late life game.
PS3 killed it in the end.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
I'm sure you are wrong. They'll just change the video and graphical settings like on a pc until the game runs well.

I'm sure they would intend to do that - but once you get into triple crunch time all that stuff goes by the wayside and you just end up shipping the baseline product that you developed to work decently on all the targeted platforms. Same way that stuff gets out the door with nasty hacks in the code that were going to be "fixed later".

Romulus

Did you even own a ps3? In the last few years it dominated the x360 technically in most multiplats.
Even Killzone2 a mid life PS3 exclusive looked better than Halo4 an x360 late life game.
PS3 killed it in the end.

Yes I did own a ps3 but that doesn't require me to agree with it dominating "most" multiplatforms at the end. Do you have evidence if this? I think you're simply remembering a few key standouts and labeling those as the majority.

EDIT:https://misterslimm.wordpress.com/v...box-360-vs-ps3-head-to-head-face-off-results/
Almost 4x as many games looked better on 360 according to Eurogamer and combined sources, and that's despite it launching a year earlier and being older tech.
I scrolled through the list and there's absolutely no evidence of ps3 dominating multiplatforms later in its life. It wasn't as terrible, but it still lost usually even later. What you're remembering is a few key examples that got alot of attention because people were used to 360 complete domination, GTA 5 for example. But there were even cases were games later in the generation started looking even worse on ps3 compared to earlier generation games like Mafia 1 to Mafia II.
I do think exclusives looked better on ps3 overall. Microsoft just never really had the studio talent. KZ2 looked better but it was extremely linear, and again it was a game with a monster budget behind it. And besting 343i or Bungie isn't saying much at all. None of their games have looked good to me anyway regardless of platform. Destiny looks average to me and we know Guerrilla are absolute wizards looking at Horizon running on a pathetically underpowered base ps4.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Correct. The CELL processor was an odd design choice by Sony for a game console and was nothing special. Waternoose in the 360 was a cleaver, cheaper variant (looking back, perhaps MS should have stuck with an x86 though).

I'm pretty sure they wanted to - not least because they were very familiar with it and Direct-X was heavily optimized for the x86 architecture, but if you look back to the point in time when the architectural decisions about what would become the Xbox360 were being made the x86 devices must have looked pretty unappealing - the mainstream offerings from Intel at that point were all based of the P4 Netburst architecture, which was mostly notable for poor IPC, high power consumption and heavy reliance on a fast memory subsystem. On top of this the chips at the time maxed out at 1C/2T - and adding multiple cores would have further increased its already heavy demand for memory bandwidth. Under these circumstances, the prospect of a 3C/6T chip with per-thread vector units that fitted into their thermal and power targets and didn't look like it would bottleneck the memory was very easy to chose over anything Intel were offering.

Presumably Sony made some similar determination, since they decided to switch from the MIPS based CPUs they had used in their previous consoles and also ended up with a PowerPC based device. Nintendo had been using PowerPC since the Gamecube - and hence all the major platforms in the 7th gen ended up using PowerPC architecture CPUs. Although I like the PowerPC devices, I personally regarded this as more of an indication of just how badly Intel dropped the ball at this point in time.

BlackTron

Hardware innovation isn't always what pushes the industry forward. NES was made from off-the-shelf, cheap parts. Wii was made from two Gamecubes duct-taped together.

Wii is a great example of how hardware innovation matters, just not really system architecture. It should be the most standard, industry-known stuff out there to minimize needless work, learning curve, porting hassles, etc. Hardware innovation in terms of form factor, features, display, inputs, etc though matter a LOT.

Wii was indeed "two Gamecubes duct taped together" (I love this old quote) but its hardware innovation in every other category made a huge difference.

Innovate in software first, hardware features second, system architecture distant last.

FrostyJ93

Idk what the guy thought was gonna happen. Sony and MS surely want the transition to next gen to be as smooth as possible.

Yeah, I feel the next generation is “really” going to be more of the same except with a shinier coat. The consoles are basically using identical hardware and off the shelf parts, right? I understand why, but imo that’s no fun. Add in exclusives becoming more rare, literally everything is multi platform, politics, dlc, micro transactions, loot boxes, heavy emphasis on on/multiplayer, lack of innovation and I’m not sure if there much to get excited for myself.

Last edited:

SonGoku

So weird that he would be saying that considering the CPU & SSD upgrade will be a massive boost for fast paced games
Shilling for Nintendo maybe?
Platinum didn't even want to develop PS3 Bayoneta so Sega had to do the quick port job themselves and that was the result.
That's even worse lol
PG IN 2006: Screw the exotic console let's develop for the more standarized one
PG IN 2019: We want exotic hardware back

mfw:
Confused-Nick-Young.jpg

and?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Huh? Either I misunderstood, but I feel Platinum games make some of the most unique and best playing games out there especially, in this modern era. Unless you mean as far as pushing hardware goes.
IMO is heavy overrated in this forum... I did not found anything special in their games... perhaps most are repetitive and flawed like Bayonetta and Rising.

sublimit

Banned
I have been saying this from the beginning, biggest innovation and interesting gameplay mechanics comes from developers themselves.
Exactly. It's never the painter's tools that make a painting "innovative" it's the painter himself. That's why i don't get that statement especially when coming from Inaba.

Last edited:

RobRSG

It would be more exciting to have Tablet hardware instead, right? You know... Gotta milk the Switch a bit more.

ZywyPL

Banned
Captain obvious comes back from retirement!

Of course they will, if it was between Intel vs AMD for the CPU, and NV vs AMD for the GPU, now that would be hella exciting, but it's all gonna be the exact same AMD APU, based on the same Zen2 and the same Navi. The current consoles are already more or less the same, with the only actual difference for the end consumers being the resolution, 900p vs 1080p, and 1440p vs 4K.

And both Sony's and MS's official info released so far about next-gens say the consoles will be basically twins - 4K, support for 8K, up to 120FPS, 1TB SSD etc. So even if there will be some architectural of TF differences, the end result from consumer perspective will be even lesser than it already is between current hardware.

He's right, we need Cell 2.0

4 PPEs, 32 SPEs, 3,8GHz, a man can only dream.

Last edited:

Frizzie

Banned
If Microsoft's and Sony's consoles are likely to be very similar, maybe even nearly identical, then I would have thought both need to be very careful with their policies.

Obviously Sony have an advantage with it's larger user base providing the PS5 is fully BC. However if one of the companies were to do something particularly anti consumer???

It was just a thought.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Yeah because platinum games was really gonna squeeze something new and original out (aka throw bullet time into a genre)

Myths

Not sure why anyone would want to go back to the days of custom architecture where all your purchases were obsoleted and it took years for developers to make use of the exotic architecture.
I'd rather Devs be productive building compelling software and start actually leveraging it faster and earlier.
We need games to start using compelling AI, days of retard spec game ai should be long gone yet here we are nearing the turn of the decade and most games still have terribad ai
I couldn’t wrap my head behind esoteric architecture either. A few improvements to the technology/hardware available is just fine if it enables developers to focus more on the workflow/pipeline, scheduling, and of course artistic aspects.

DedEmbryonicCell

Neo Member
It just makes more sense, you have tested technology out there, they know how it works ..

Consoles are trying to be as PC as possible nowadays .. nothing wrong with that ..

Top Bottom