• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum boss says next-gen consoles ‘more of the same’.

Bkdk

I’m excited for the cloud platform as this should help improve the AI in games finally. Single player big open world RPGs should be benefiting from this the most. I would say I agree with him.

Zog

Banned
I don't get it. The ultimate goal regardless of the system is to display polygons on a screen, why does it matter if the hardware is custom made or bought off the shelf at Microcenter?
I think the point is that the uniqueness of different consoles is gone. For example, the Genesis had different strengths to the Super Nintendo and it affected the libraries on both.

Geki-D

Banned
I think the point is that the uniqueness of different consoles is gone. For example, the Genesis had different strengths to the Super Nintendo and it affected the libraries on both.
Sounds good to me. Means consoles have to stand on their game libraries, more specifically the exclusives because multiplats play the same bar a few minor differences.

Yeah, but why would you want that? We now have the option of the Genesis CPU and the SNES graphics, not either or.

Codes 208

Which im fine with because it meant id need both to have the best of both worlds. Like comparing both versions of aladdin which were for the most part two completely different games.

sublimit

Banned
Isn't that exactly what developers had been complaining about, especially with PS3?
Yup. These are some obvious double standards because unlike PS3 streaming platforms are their best chance for those publishers to finally kill the physical market. Of course they will never admit that so they use lame excuses instead.

Ol'Scratch

I’m excited for the cloud platform as this should help improve the AI in games finally. Single player big open world RPGs should be benefiting from this the most. I would say I agree with him.
Seems to me that I remember hearing much the same last gen. Yes indeed sugar plums and pixies beaming from the cloud making games magically delicious. Very familar.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I love the double think from these people.

"We want more complicated systems that are interesting and unique, not more of the same"

Then they complain when something like the PlayStation 3 or Xbox One hit the market.
They argue about just being graphics upgrade, but not something that really changes the industry. The last step that made this was the jump to HD/Widescreen.

Also, the PS3 was a beefy machine. Weird, but beefy.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Oh I want to throw something else out there, this is coming from the developer that couldn't even get Nier Automata to run at 1080p 60 FPS on the PS4 Pro and their performance target for development was 60 FPS, not some later added conceptual framerate target...

I've said it about a hundred times by now, the Japanese development community are a poor community for anything relating to hardware engineering or developing games around it. They've been getting dumped on by the west for well over a decade.

• Switch: Conceptually spawned from the west
  • PlayStation 4: Designed in the west and built in the west
  • Xbox One: Designed in the west and built in the west
The Japanese come up with dumb shit like the PlayStation 3, they convolute their hardware engineering, they convolute their software engineering and seem completely foreign to the concept of optimization.
tenor.gif

LMJ

Platinum didn't even want to develop PS3 Bayoneta so Sega had to do the quick port job themselves and that was the result.

Yeah this right here, sorry if I don't take your word as gospel Platinum but you certainly didn't seem to do anything with the unique architecture of the PlayStation 3 except run home to Mama complain about how complicated it was and dumping on Sega...

I love me some Platinum Games, (MGR, W101, etc)but let's not play the simple fact is with more computational capabilities and graphical power you'll be able to do a great deal more as long as you don't get bogged down in the resolution BS

It's not like a unique architecture is going to magically make you discover some rainbow fairy inside that's going to unleash magic that we've never seen before...

abcdrstuv

Banned
I would think the generation after this, or a mid-gen refresh, could bring enough power to make game experiences feel like a major leap - if you've got 4k and 60fps, real ray-tracing, maybe something like a dedicated physics chip, all the hair and clothing effects, wind and weather - plus Dolby Vision color grading, or at least competent HDR - all of it off fast SSDs - workable cloud computing - and more CPU power plus continued innovation in game design - procedural generation, "narrative Lego", Nemesis system/RDR2 derivations like WD Legion's, the kind of reactive, visually transformational stuff Dying Light 2 is trying.. AAA and inventive AA and indie games could make today's games look as dated as something like Super Mario 64..

Booty said: “We’re probably sitting on a pivot point in game design, when you add up the new console’s speed and performance, what cloud streaming will offer up… all that in combination with some of the hardware stuff could be as big a transition as when we went from 2D to 3D”.

LMAO how much of a soulless corporate zombie do you have to be to say shit like that with a straight face?

GrayFoxPL

Yeah this right here, sorry if I don't take your word as gospel Platinum but you certainly didn't seem to do anything with the unique architecture of the PlayStation 3 except run home to Mama complain about how complicated it was and dumping on Sega...

I love me some Platinum Games, (MGR, W101, etc)but let's not play the simple fact is with more computational capabilities and graphical power you'll be able to do a great deal more as long as you don't get bogged down in the resolution BS

It's not like a unique architecture is going to magically make you discover some rainbow fairy inside that's going to unleash magic that we've never seen before...

Exactly and let's not forget that games like Vanquish run better on much, much simplier hardware of 360. Platinum never realized any hidden potential of PS3. At best their PS3 versions run as good as 360 ones if not little worse.

Reactions: LMJ

Zog

Banned
So now we are all in favor of every console potentially having the same library (and with PC) and people think that this is healthy for the future of consoles?

Codes 208

So now we are all in favor of every console potentially having the same library (and with PC) and people think that this is healthy for the future of consoles?
In terms of optimization? Yes. Its not that drastically different to whats been happening this gen with how close the xbox and ps4 are architecturally speaking.

Zog

Banned
In terms of optimization? Yes. Its not that drastically different to whats been happening this gen with how close the xbox and ps4 are architecturally speaking.

...or last gen with the 'HD Twins'. I have always said that in a direct competition with PC, consoles can't win.

Codes 208

...or last gen with the 'HD Twins'. I have always said that in a direct competition with PC, consoles can't win.
Ehh, not quite. Last gen there was a night and day difference between the 360’s powerPC and ps3’s cell processor. Hypothetically the ps3 shouldve ran circles around the 360 but ultimately the 360 had better ports and higher rez/frames due to its easier and simplified architecture. This gen was about taking out the middle-man by making the systems directly pc-based.

Can consoles win against PC? Technically no because the best graphics cards offen cost more than a console. But thats ok because they dont need to. Consoles havent been direct competition for pc since, ever really. PC gaming for the longest time was more for enthusiasts while gaming as a whole was more console-oriented.

Zog

Banned
Ehh, not quite. Last gen there was a night and day difference between the 360’s powerPC and ps3’s cell processor. Hypothetically the ps3 shouldve ran circles around the 360 but ultimately the 360 had better ports and higher rez/frames due to its easier and simplified architecture. This gen was about taking out the middle-man by making the systems directly pc-based.

Can consoles win against PC? Technically no because the best graphics cards offen cost more than a console. But thats ok because they dont need to. Consoles havent been direct competition for pc since, ever really. PC gaming for the longest time was more for enthusiasts while gaming as a whole was more console-oriented.

I would say that if consoles and PC share the same library for multiplats then they are competing. Consoles lost what made them unique and are now just less capable PC's.

Codes 208

I would say that if consoles and PC share the same library for multiplats then they are competing. Consoles lost what made them unique and are now just less capable PC's.
Being architecturally different isnt what id consider them as being unique.

Being able to play TLoU3 on PS5 but not on PC is what Id define as unique, as well as the UI, controller and how third party support is handled.

“But it’s more of the same, quite frankly, compared to previous generations. It’s nothing that’s disruptive or super innovative, if you ask me.”

He added: “Game hardware used to be about custom chips that you couldn’t do on PCs. Now you look at it and they’re just grabbing stuff that already exists.

PC's eventually surpassed whatever console could do. Why do people have a strong desire to play console games on PC's using emulators with enhanced graphics and mods with better GPU's and CPUs? Plus all the old games on consoles you can play online on PC's.

Everything has evolved for the better: better graphics, sound, storage, online, social media, streaming and its only going to get better. Yes their is some nostalgia to the good ol'days, but you cant bring the good ol days back.

My only criticism for the video game industry is the cost of development, the process of development, and sustainability/consistency of development. Making triple AAA games with hi fidelity graphics, immersion, replay value (its getting more expensive and its hard for a studio to sustain profitability)

zcaa0g

Banned
As a dev, he probably likes the challenges of new architectures. Me as a gamer, just bring me top notch games as efficiently as possible.

Zog

Banned
Being architecturally different isnt what id consider them as being unique.
Well I meant that the mandatory installs and huge updates. They are no longer put in a disc/cartridge and play. Consoles used to be unique to each other and unique to PC but now they are neither. Whatever, I don't really care enough to argue about it, I just think that current course of consoles isn't healthy for their own future. We can agree to disagree.

FStubbs

PC's eventually surpassed whatever console could do. Why do people have a strong desire to play console games on PC's using emulators with enhanced graphics and mods with better GPU's and CPUs? Plus all the old games on consoles you can play online on PC's.

Everything has evolved for the better: better graphics, sound, storage, online, social media, streaming and its only going to get better. Yes their is some nostalgia to the good ol'days, but you cant bring the good ol days back.

My only criticism for the video game industry is the cost of development, the process of development, and sustainability/consistency of development. Making triple AAA games with hi fidelity graphics, immersion, replay value (its getting more expensive and its hard for a studio to sustain profitability)

This. All 3 platform holders realized this, which is why Sony and Microsoft went x86 and Nintendo went ARM. (And actually, Nintendo tried to go ARM/Tegra 2 with the 3DS but nVidia couldn't get it done for them.)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Devs:

- Hardware too hard to program for
- Hardware too expensive, so not enough gamers will buy it
- Console maker wants to charge us money for dev kits
- Not enough ram
- CPU is shit
- Retailers and digital marketplace owners are greedy asses taking 30% margins

Console maker:

- We do the R&D
- We often take a loss at the beginning, consoles not very profitable even years down the line
- We're the ones getting up and running servers, digital marketplaces, online gaming
- Here's an idea? How about one of you devs give it a go and make an awesome console system with solid ecosystem?

Devs: Crickets........... By the way console maker, can us game makers release more of the same too? Can we release Bayonetta 3, FIFA 20, Call of Duty Game #12, Street Fighter Game #25, Assassin's Creed Game #10, and Tekken 9?

Last edited:
Hardware innovation isn't always what pushes the industry forward. NES was made from off-the-shelf, cheap parts. Wii was made from two Gamecubes duct-taped together.

You're exactly right. And even though I'm the complete opposite example of a typical Nintendo fanboy (I'm a hardcore late-1980's Commodore kid), both of those console platforms are ones that I'm still playing games on right now.

But in saying that, the Commodore Amiga defined modern computing as we know it now and that was the first example of pure convergence of software and significant hardware innovation (outdoing Apple of the era by a large margin). So I'm going to agree to disagree with myself. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

FStubbs

Devs:

- Hardware too hard to program for
- Hardware too expensive, so not enough gamers will buy it
- Console maker wants to charge us money for dev kits
- Not enough ram
- CPU is shit
- Retailers and digital marketplace owners are greedy asses taking 30% margins

Console maker:

- We do the R&D
- We often take a loss at the beginning, consoles not very profitable even years down the line
- We're the ones getting up and running servers, digital marketplaces, online gaming
- Here's an idea? How about one of you devs give it a go and make an awesome console system with solid ecosystem?

Devs: Crickets........... By the way console maker, can us game makers release more of the same too? Can we release Bayonetta 3, FIFA 20, Call of Duty Game #12, Street Fighter Game #25, Assassin's Creed Game #10, and Tekken 9?

The devs behind Donkey Kong gave it a go and seemed to have done pretty well for themselves...

Eteric Rice

I mean, I guess he's not wrong. We have an idea of whats going to be in these boxes. They're going to be boxes with more powerful hardware. They'll be able to do the same stuff that we've done already, but bigger and prettier.

Best to not get caught up in the hype to much. Lol.

Trimesh

Banned
Hardware innovation isn't always what pushes the industry forward. NES was made from off-the-shelf, cheap parts. Wii was made from two Gamecubes duct-taped together.

That's really not true about the NES though - the device that really makes the machine what it is (and what allowed them to generate level of graphics they did in a system with only 4K of RAM) is the PPU - and that's a fully custom chip that was designed by Ricoh to Nintendo's specifications. The CPU is also a custom chip, although it's basically just a a 6502 with some clock logic and added audio circuits. If you want a machine that genuinely was built from off-the-shelf parts, try Sega's SG-1000, which was actually released on the same day as the Famicom, although not with quite the same level of success.

For the Wii, it's a lot closer to the truth. The Wii is basically a Gamecube with a die-shrunk and up-clocked GPU and CPU, more RAM and a new security system (which, in the time-honored manner of Nintendo security systems, looked pretty good on paper but had terrible implementation flaws). The fact that the original prototypes of the Wii motion controls that have been found were designed to plug into a GDEV make it pretty clear what the development trajectory was, and why the final system architecture is so similar to the GC.

Trimesh

Banned
The next consoles in my opinion are only PCs with the closed ecosystem.
The PS4 and Xbox One are basically the same in this respect - at their core, they are PC architecture devices except with unified memory. The key advantage that a console system has is that the software only has to support the hardware configurations that have been shipped and the exposed APIs can be carefully chosen and limited to the ones that the hardware can support with minimum overhead. As a result, the console system will generally produce better results than the same hardware would if it was running a general purpose OS.

One thing I can see potentially happening is for the developers to start writing for the lowest common denominator. Say you have two consoles X and Y with the same basic architecture, but X has a more powerful main CPU and Y has a more powerful GPU - but if you are developing multi platform then there would be an obvious incentive to develop the game so it would run on both systems with minimal modification. The easiest way to do this is to develop it so it would run on both the weaker GPU and the weaker CPU.

Top Bottom