• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games: Bayonetta on PS3 was “our biggest failure”

The_Monk

After readings this part: "At the time we didn’t really know how to develop on PS3 all that well, and whether we could have done it… is irrelevant: we made the decision that we couldn’t. But looking back on the result, and especially what ended up being released to users, I regard that as our biggest failure.”

I can only think: if only Bethesda was this humble.

It's okay Plat, it's just a shame that Bayonetta 2 won't be for PS360. There they could redeem themselves.

snap0212

Had a lot of fun with the PS3 version of the game. Got the 360 one recently and I don't have any more fun with it than I had originally so the port didn't affect my opinion of the game at all. :) Though it's good to see that they acknoledge their mistake and being honest.

Kind of relevant:
BUKfT.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In other words he meant that SEGA was shit. Lol.

Yeah this is the gist :lol

Had a lot of fun with the PS3 version of the game. Got the 360 one recently and I don't have any more fun with it than I had originally so the port didn't affect my opinion of the game at all. :) Though it's good to see that they acknoledge their mistake and being honest.

Kind of relevant:
BUKfT.png

It is the same dev that fooled people into thinking they're not using Gamebryo tho lol

jett

D-Member
Nice to see they admit some responsibility. I personally played and loved the PS3 version despite its inferiority, that's just how good the source game was.

Neff

A great part of what has gone wrong this generation is being forced into pay for a simple service. I am pleased that Sony has yet to fold and I have some hope for the future.

For what it's worth, despite my 360 endorsement in this thread, I agree to an extent and have never paid for Gold. I do all my online gaming on PS3, and the huge majority of my playtime and library is dedicated to PS3.

But things do cost money, services and infrastructures, no matter how 'simple', don't create themselves. The big rich corporation isn't turning off a faucet to withhold rainwater from your lawn unless you pay them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And the truth will set you free... Now go and make a proper port of Bayo 2 for the PS3.

Hmm...

Nice to see they admit some responsibility. I personally played and loved the PS3 version despite its inferiority, that's just how good the source game was.

I had no trouble with the PS3 version as well (then again, I only played it post-patch), but playing it in the 360 does give it a different view.

jett

D-Member
Hmm...

I had no trouble with the PS3 version as well (then again, I only played it post-patch), but playing it in the 360 does give it a different view.

Yeah post patch for me too. I watched some pre-patch videos once...those constant loading times would've made the experience insufferable and unplayable. It's unbelievable Sega released it like that. As it is right now the major difference is the lower framerate, but it's perfectly playable, I'd say the framerate really affects gameplay in only a couple of places.

BadWolf

I heard a lot of negativity in regards to the PS3 version prior to playing it and had hoped I hadn't so I wouldn't be thinking about it while playing the game but when I actually got to play it I completely forgot to pay attention to the issue all the way till the end of the game. That's how awesome the game itself was.

So yeah, glad they admit it but can't say I care.

duckroll

Thumbs up to Inaba for taking responsibility for Sega's fuck up. Thumbs down to Sega for causing the fuck up to begin with.

Edit: ROFLMAO Pete Hines. :(

foogles

Kind of relevant:
BUKfT.png
To me, the difference is that Bayonetta PS3 always had its problems. Skyrim PS3 did work fine, as long as it was in a short-attention-span playtesting environment where no one apparently played for 80 hours + in a single game. Still Bethesda's fault, obviously, for not testing the game the way they intended it to be played, but when you look at the way developers and testers discover, document, and fix bugs, it's pretty easy to see what happened with Skyrim and how those problems likely weren't even seen before release. Bayonetta, however...

duckroll

To me, the difference is that Bayonetta PS3 always had its problems. Skyrim PS3 did work fine, as long as it was in a short-attention-span playtesting environment where no one apparently played for 80 hours + in a single game. Still Bethesda's fault, obviously, for not testing the game the way they intended it to be played, but when you look at the way developers and testers discover, document, and fix bugs, it's pretty easy to see what happened with Skyrim and how those problems likely weren't even seen before release. Bayonetta, however...

Dude. Skyrim on PS3 is not fine. They can't even release the fucking DLC expansion on it. That's how "fine" it is.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Don't forget the MadWorld PAL fuck up either, Platinum.

But it's okay, I forgive you.

urfe

So I never followed this game (despite buying my brother-in-law it for PS3), but I got a question.

The most shocking thing to me about what he said was that the game got positive reviews. Was this a scandal when the game came out, or do people no longer care about the honesty of reviews?

Feel bad buying giving it to my brother-in-law now though.

Paracelsus

So I never followed this game (despite buying my brother-in-law it for PS3), but I got a question.

The most shocking thing to me about what he said was that the game got positive reviews. Was this a scandal when the game came out, or do people no longer care about the honesty of reviews?

When even Famitsu dares to give 2 points lower to the version of a multiplatform game (38 vs 40) you know something is VERY wrong and the rest of reviews doesn't matter.

Anteater

No, most journalists were actually quite fair for the most part when the game came out, most of them did their part and reviewed both games individually and most of the reviews gave the ps3 version a lower score.

Unlike Mass effect 3 and Skyrim, ME3 was fine but it was still one of those games that was given the same score across platforms, and about skyrim.....

hiryu64

If it comes to Wii U or PC then I might finally have a chance to play it.

I have a PS3 but not a 360, so as far as I'm concerned I don't have a platform that can play it.

LiK

Reviews mentioned that the port was shoddy but it was still playable. No one in their right minds gave it a higher score than the 360 version tho. It was definitely a mess but at least the optional install patch made it less of a mess.

Skyrim completely falls apart when you put over forty hours into it and interact with the world enough. It starts to run with seconds per frame and becomes literally unplayable.
Bayonetta is at least a functional product.

Good. It's crazy to me that there are people that claim the PS3 version was fine.

I know, right? What's amazing about Bayo PS3 is that even with no basis for comparison, I know it's shit. I couldn't get into one of GAF's best GOTG because of their lazy decisions. I hope for a decent re-release one day so I can finally see what the fuss us all about.

On a brighter note, they made it up to me with Vanquish, one if the best action games of the gen.

injurai

Banned
If the PS4 used cell, I can imagine Sony withering away after next-gen. They really need to go x86 otherwise they just won't get the development backing that they need. Even if backwards compatibility is hurt, I'm sure producing cells is a lot cheaper for them now, maybe they could slap on some PS3 cells at a premium price or something.

surly

Banned
More sites should do separate reviews for each version. There's been tons of shit PS3 ports, but you often don't get to find out until after the game has been out for a short time.

Anteater

Skyrim completely falls apart when you put over forty hours into it and interact with the world enough. It starts to run with seconds per frame and becomes literally unplayable.

I had no problem beating a few bosses in single digit framerate, it's fine, totally playable

:p

Man, I was considering asking mods to change my username to something different and this phrase is at the top of my list.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been debating picking up the PS3 version since Bayonetta belongs in my library and it's my only console at the moment, but having played the 360 version it's a tough pill to swallow. Everything I love about the game is still there, but I've seen the difference and it's significant.

I played it on PS3 and I don't remember having any issues at all. Am I just oblivious?

You probably just don't notice things like framerate and resolution. It's not like the game was electrocuting people through the controllers or something.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I never played the game because of all of the bad press about how the PS3 version was inferior to the Xbox 360 version. I might play it if I see it in the bargin bin now though.

rvy

Banned
It says a lot about a developer when their biggest failure is handing over a porting job to their publisher, and most PS3 users not even realizing the lack of quality of that port.

Top Bottom