• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames opens official Japanese Twitter - EPIC SWITCH TEASING HYPETRAIN!

PlatinumGames keeps tweeting more teases about Switch ports! What are they doing?!

Results are only viewable after voting.

LordKano

Ehhhh, close-up shots of the characters in cutscenes is literally the only instance where the game looks a little underwhelming but that barely happens throughout the game. The game consists of the usual Platinum action cutscenes, usual isometric gameplay perspective where also most of the dialogue happens which all looks beautiful.

I just want them to rework these parts, game looks fine otherwise.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I meant as far as the Gooch tucking tail to mobile after he "failed" and didn't know what console players wanted anymore. And now who knows if someone will give him significant money again. Not his studio size. I know Platinum isn't there, but it's not like they have a money maker hit either. Doesn't take long in this industry to disappear. I'm not arguing if it's a good idea for Nintendo to buy them. I'm just saying that some people would like to see that security which is why they say that.

But it's not a great comparison, it's not just about size it's also about what they need to keep operating. Mistwalker was never in the same place since Sakaguchi really wanted to go surfing while acting as a consultant instead of growing a new major studio. Platinum doesn't have a hit from their original IPs but they've made a name for themselves as go to action game developers and had success with Metal Gear Rising and more recently Nier Automata. They're already secure as an action developer but have potential to grow if they can branch out which I think they're interested in doing. Still, even if they don't I doubt they're in danger of disappearing anytime soon.

Platy

Plot twist : it is not that Bayonetta or w101 are coming to the switch....it is a teaser for Nintendo buying Platinum

I can easily see Wonderful 101 getting a new control scheme with JoyCons and traditional Gamepad. Played it on WiiU, loved it but could understand why it wouldn't click with everyone since the Gamepad controls were quite different to what people are used to... and analogue stick often was less precise/easy to pull off. As a reminder: To change weapons, you had to either draw weapons on the touchscreen or with the analogue stick, both of which could be troublesome in the middle of action in the beginning.

Otherwise, it is an excellent (underrated) character action game. Should be quite pleasing to everyone who enjoys the genre and Platinums other output.

And Bayonetta 1&2, portable and on big screen with the excellent Switch Pro-Controller as a set up to bring Bayonetta 3... holy demon shit, yes!

Wouldn't even mind if they would bring a Star Fox Zero DX, motion aiming is a great asset to the franchise (aim left while flying right – feels just right) and with adjustments, it would also work without the second screen (which, I feel, was why many people gave up on the game... I liked Zero a lot and thought it was a nice followup for 64 apart from the repeating storyline, but even then I can see it could have been better and especially it could have offered more content in form of stages, challenges and the like).

Anyway, bring in the 3rd party games and the classics which many people did not play because of not having a WiiU! Though as someone who has already played these, I really hope for some new stuff as well.

(Wait and see them announce Bayonetta and W101 avatars for your profile instead of old/new games, though)

Raitaro

W102 with a first run free copy of W101 / digital only W101 port, like they did with Bayonetta 2?

I would buy that really fast.

That said, Gamepad control adjustments aside, weren't there in-door sections in the first game that required the second screen to see what was going on inside a building?

Adaren

m101ral67.gif

Amazing!

W101 was an incredibly ambitious and creative game that was rough around the edges. I'm thrilled that it's getting a second chance. If there is a sequel, I have no doubt that Platinum is going to make huge strides.

I can easily see Wonderful 101 getting a new control scheme with JoyCons and traditional Gamepad. Played it on WiiU, loved it but could understand why it wouldn't click with everyone since the Gamepad controls were quite different to what people are used to... and analogue stick often was less precise/easy to pull off. As a reminder: To change weapons, you had to either draw weapons on the touchscreen or with the analogue stick, both of which could be troublesome in the middle of action in the beginning.

Yea, I totally appreciated that the game had a unique control scheme but as a lefty I kind of felt like I was in an odd position with the game. Stylus didn't feel good at all because of admittedly my own strangeness, and stick, I don't know, that just never felt right either. If they could come up with something, maybe with motion, I would be into that.

LordRaptor

I would buy that really fast.

That said, Gamepad control adjustments aside, weren't there in-door sections in the first game that required the second screen to see what was going on inside a building?

I played through the entire game only in "off tv" mode - IIRC there was only one section at the baseball field where what you were doing indoors directly affected what was going on outdoors and you had to use the picture in picture feature to align the two actions.
All the other indoor sections you could play through just manually swapping which screen the gamepad displayed.

Yea, I totally appreciated that the game had a unique control scheme but as a lefty I kind of felt like I was in an odd position with the game. Stylus didn't feel good at all because of admittedly my own strangeness, and stick, I don't know, that just never felt right either. If they could come up with something, maybe with motion, I would be into that.

I'm also a lefty.. fully understand what you mean. At some point I tried to just use analogue or draw with my right thumb instead of using stylus (which I usually try to avoid, anyway) but it wasn't ideal for me, either, and it took me a while to find a solution (AKA get used to and good at it) to quickly change weapons to whatever I need in the heat of battle. (This also made some of the more touchscreen-focused games on DS/3DS awkward to play.)

The Boat

I still think most people can't handle the controls because they're trying to draw with the stick instead of making Street Figther like motions. Once that clicked in my head, it was a game changer.

NoKisum

I didn't think this thread would have this much traction over simply opening a Twitter account. Are they scheduled to announce something soon?

I was certainly open to the Bayo 1+2 tease just being a tease, but that W101 artwork with the joycons is something someone needed to work on for a substantial amount of time. I'd be shocked if that was just for a troll.

I remember reading speculation a while back that there might be a general Switch third party Direct happening some time this year, since very few third party games were discussed during the treehouse at E3 (no FIFA, no Skyrim). So maybe whatever Platinum has will be saved for that (if it exists)?

Regardless I bought all of their non-Star Fox games on Wii U but I'd totally buy each one on Switch again, they are just so, so damn good.

Zebei

This teasing is really really mean.

Wonderful 101/102 would be an instant buy, but i cant trust social media teasing after being burned so many times

Namikaze

WAIT SO..Wonderful 101 is rumored to be coming too? ARE YOU SERIOUS?! I'm just gonna go ahead and sell my Wii U and games tbh. There's nothing else I need it for.

Edit there's literally the W101 characters holding joycons it couldn't be more obvious

Also I never knew how much I needed famicom joycons.

Frodo

Basically lol. I'm just glad something is happening!

I think?

I bought W101 but never made it past the first few hours because I am the worst.

OMG! Go play it now because it has one of the most satisfying combat ever, once you get used to it and learn how to combo. It is a stiff learning curve, but it is very worth it.
It also has one of the most underrated soundtracks in recent history.

Or wait for the Switch version.
Or TW102

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Did you perchance miss this?

They're holding joycons. With the Switch logo in the middle. I honestly can't believe this would turn out to be nothing.
Apart from the next Kamiya game being for Switch I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Would love a W101 switch port but honestly I'd rather have a new game.

Top Bottom