• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames opens official Japanese Twitter - EPIC SWITCH TEASING HYPETRAIN!

PlatinumGames keeps tweeting more teases about Switch ports! What are they doing?!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jawmuncher

I will say W101 having its block function (the jello) being a unlockeble skill was dumb as hell. Kamiya if he ports it again needs to have the base version of that move there from the get go.

I hated the game until I got that move.

-shadow-

"dunno why GAF loves a game I've never played"

Sisss.........

syXdJXe.gif

Well that was unexpected!

I love how torn gaf is with the wonderful 101. Half the people that say it sucks probably only played the demo, which did suck. The full game is incredible though, and it has the greatest ending to a video game i've ever played.

RobotVM

I love how torn gaf is with the wonderful 101. Half the people that say it sucks probably only played the demo, which did suck. The full game is incredible though, and it has the greatest ending to a video game i've ever played.

It sucks because of the terrible touch controls. Doesn't matter how good the story is if the controls and camera in the game were garbage. I bought it on release and then again on digital to support Platinum but I just could bring myself to finish the game.

mcmmaster

I will say W101 having its block function (the jello) being a unlockeble skill was dumb as hell. Kamiya if he ports it again needs to have the base version of that move there from the get go.

I hated the game until I got that move.

But you can buy the blocking ability the second you finish the 5 minute Prologue, even during the Prologue there's isn't any need to block because how few enemies there are.

I don't understand the complaint when you can purchase the blocking ability right before you start the game's first real mission, Operation 001-A.

NeonBlack

Played the entire game based off of GAF's recommendation, huge letdown. Between the drawing and having to use the gamepad for certain sections it was just annoying.

It sucks because of the terrible touch controls. Doesn't matter how good the story is if the controls and camera in the game were garbage.

This, it might be a wacky fun game at parts but the Wii U pad worked shitty for the game and made it a frustrating experience. I'd love to play it with better controls but no amount of Japanese zaniness is going to make me think that the original game was some amazing underappreciated gem.

There are definitely some apparent flaws in the game and I think even the biggest fans can admit that. The camera and genre shifts were really the only things that bothered me, but that barely hampered my enjoyment of it. Especially that ending.

But I totally understand why so many people couldn't get a hang of it. Hopefully if they really are porting it they make a few QOL changes to solve those issues.

This, it might be a wacky fun game at parts but the Wii U pad worked shitty for the game and made it a frustrating experience. I'd love to play it with better controls but no amount of Japanese zaniness is going to make me think that the original game was some amazing underappreciated gem.

The game had the option for traditional controls from the start.

Llyranor

The right-stick for drawing is the ultimate control scheme. Even Kamiya favors it. It feels more like a fighting game command input than actually drawing a shape.

iMerc

it's nice to see the people who aren't too fond of TWOW actually hold that opinion as a result of having played the game and just aren't 'posers' like a lot of internet msg board gamers are, because they want to get a 'troll' in.

i own the game and think it's quite good. it's fun, but it doesn't stand out in my mind as a hidden gem of gaming.
i really did try to love it though. it's def a charming title.
hopefully the game accrues value over time. i'd love to see how much the game is worth on ebay in a few years. i guess that would depend on whether it gets a switch port.

There are definitely flaws in the game, such as qte's and some weird camera angles. I think I used the drawing mechanic once, but ended up using the right control stick for the rest of the game like any sane person would.

Galang

Banned
I don't mind the W101, but I hope they greatly improve the art style or go with the style from the original. Maybe i'm alone in that, but the original style was actually cool and looked so much better to me. A port with that prototype style would be great

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

First few chapters were terrible since I felt it was dragging on little too long but last half of the game made up for it tho.

RobotVM

There are definitely flaws in the game, such as qte's and some weird camera angles. I think I used the drawing mechanic once, but ended up using the right control stick for the rest of the game like any sane person would.

Even the right stick didn't work very well. If they re-release the game it would be in their best interest to make the face buttons or shoulder buttons make the shapes for you.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Wonderful 101 had a lot of problems, but it was also a fucking atomic bomb of a video game

OryoN

I own them both, and love them both, but The Wonderful 101 gets my nod as the better game.

The gameplay concept is very simple but it has a much steeper learning curve to mastery, and will absolutely brutalize rookies for any mistakes or shortcomings in combat, especially in the latter half of the game. The game does have its weaker moments(clunky indoor sequences, and a couple vague platforming way-findings directions), but they are easily overlooked once they're completed and you are thrown back into awesomeness again.

Once this game clicks though, it reveals itself as the absolute best in its genre. The combat is like nothing else before it, and the potential for original combos is quite amazing. Watching truly skilled players chain an onslaught of attacks together in their own unique ways is a sight to behold. You are in much more control of your play-style and how you combine attacks, as apposed to watching Bayonetta perform (beautiful) animations by a predetermined string of buttons presses. This aspect have had an immense impact on how gratifying combat feels in each game, and it's something that Bayonetta 2 - while still awesome - just can't measure up to. When you conbine the more interesting story, Saturday-morning-cartoon vibe, several charming main characters, way more interesting/clever boss battles, and the absolute best ending sequence of any action game... TW101 won me over - more so than Bayonetta 2 - quite easily!

I'd probably double dip on both if Platinum can lock them in at 1080p-60fps. Would even settle for 900p if performance is a concern.

Raysoul

W101 is "VideoGames - The Videogame"

I'm one of those those few who wholeheartedly accepts the design choices and genre shifts for this game. It's frustratingly fun, I can't really put it unto words. If there is one thing that I don't like, it is the framerate dips. Nevertheless, it is already on the top 5 of one of my favorite games of all time.

Even the right stick didn't work very well. If they re-release the game it would be in their best interest to make the face buttons or shoulder buttons make the shapes for you.

That sounds awful and would take away any challenge of dealing with multiple enemy types at once.

Though I suppose they could include some type of baby mode with a clickable icon.

wanders

I absolutely love Platinum Games. But Wonderful 101 was overlong, repetitive, bloated and it's core fighting mechanic suffered from a terribly finicky and unreliable drawing mechanic.

If the game was half as long and completely changed the way character swapping was handled it could have been great.

Sooooooo true

RobotVM

That sounds awful and would take away any challenge of dealing with multiple enemy types at once.

Though I suppose they could include some type of baby mode with a clickable icon.

I understand it may make the game easier but that can be fixed by adjusting the enemies difficulty.

Nah it sucks, from someone who played the whole damn thing.
Funny how it's fan have to lash out though...no...I mean scary.

Hero

Wonderful 101 was not perfect but the game was fun as hell and the combat system was deep and rewarding. You naysayers are crazy.

Frodo

Wonderful 101 had a lot of problems, but it was also a fucking atomic bomb of a video game

Yup. Namely, the sections where you need to use the GamePad to have a different view than what's on the main screen, and those turtles.

(Genre switching segments shouldn't count for the ranking system either)

BiggNife

W101 is a game I always wanted to get into as someone who loves Platinum's other stuff but it just never clicked

I would be willing to give it a second chance on Switch with a more stable framerate and those awful second screen sections taken out

Yup. Namely, the sections where you need to use the GamePad to have a different view than what's on the main screen, and those turtles.

(Genre switching segments shouldn't count for the ranking system either)

You know what? I think the turtles might be the dividing line between people who love the game and those who don't.

The turtles are some of the most fun enemies to fight in the game...

Frodo

You know what? I think the turtles might be the dividing line between people who love the game and those who don't.

The turtles are some of the most fun enemies to fight in the game...

I used to enjoy them, but at the end of the game I was like, "OMG IF I SEE ANOTHER FREAKING TURTLE..". By the way, I absolutely LOVE TW101.

I think it's obvious it need to happen (alongside W101).
Wii U prevented those games to sell good like Tropical Freeze, give 'em another chance.
I still got my First Print Edition too.

Lmao, no one wanted Tropical Freeze, that's why it didn't do well. The mediocre E3 2013 basically killed the Wii U before it even got started, how do you sell your new console with what was done not so long ago on Wii and even 3DS. Platinum's niche games and basically every other Wii U game that was already portbegged on the first freaking page won't do much better either.

Btw W101 wasn't that good not because of controls, but due to bad pacing in general. Very long and exhausting levels, random genre switches, unintuitive ways to unlock extra stuff, overall poor harmonies/dissonances between level objectives. Every freaking level feels like a long final battle. Just when you get used to the already deep combat system, you have some shmup level or whatever, they introduce mechanics faster than you have the time to master them. There are very few levels where the change of pace is welcome, basically when it puts en emphasis on different mechanics instead of introducing you new ones
ex. The island where you need to throw fireballs/more exploration based level design. The one where you're alone. The flashback.
The game's first playthrough is supposed to be the tutorial so you can pure platinum the rest? Nah the game is way too long/the chapters not distinct enough for that, it does a poor job of encouraging you to stick with the game.

Jawmuncher

But you can buy the blocking ability the second you finish the 5 minute Prologue, even during the Prologue there's isn't any need to block because how few enemies there are.

I don't understand the complaint when you can purchase the blocking ability right before you start the game's first real mission, Operation 001-A.

I played the game on easy and even early on had trouble until I bought that move.
Hell what you're saying just makes all the more reason why it should just be there from the get go if you can apparently buy it right after the prolouge.
Since it's possible like in my case that someone buys something else not thinking about it and then fucks up until they get it later. Especially when it becomes basically mandatory later on unless you're pro.

Vitacat

I know some people don't want the Switch to get too many WiiU ports, but there are a solid handful of WiiU games that greatly deserve to be on a more successful platform, and among them is anything by Platinum.

So, yeah, I'll rebuy those games again on Switch. I would just hope to see some tweaks and extras here and there.

duckroll

I know some people don't want the Switch to get too many WiiU ports.

Why though? The Switch isn't backwards compatible and most WiiU exclusives right now won't be playable on any device a normal human being will want plugged into a TV within a year.

Frodo

The poll lacks a lot of choices. What's the point of it exactly ?

Thor 2: The Dark World.

Why though? The Switch isn't backwards compatible and most WiiU exclusives right now won't be playable on any device a normal human being will want plugged into a TV within a year.

I don't get people that think that having more games in a system is a bad thing. Specially if those games were only released on the Wii U, which virtually no one had. Even more specially if those games are good, and in most cases the Wii U exclusives were phenomenal.

Takat

I'd love to play W101, it's actually the only game I considered getting a WiiU for.

I'll happily see more games on Switch, even if they are ports.

I just hope they have a plan to announce something soon and not just tease.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah, I'd love to see more ports considering I got rid of my Wii U. I only other things I can think of that I'd want are Tropical Freeze and Fatal Frame though.

Cathcart

People are dumb. I suppose if Platinum said "we're not making any new games because we have to port Bayonetta" they'd have a point. But it's usually another team doing the port while Platinum continues to focus on new stuff, so it's fine. People just want to complain.

Vitacat

Oh, I agree. I think some people have the idea that ports hold back new games from being made.

LordRaptor

Btw W101 wasn't that good not because of controls, but due to bad pacing in general. Very long and exhausting levels, random genre switches, unintuitive ways to unlock extra stuff, overall poor harmonies/dissonances between level objectives. Every freaking level feels like a long final battle. Just when you get used to the already deep combat system, you have some shmup level or whatever, they introduce mechanics faster than you have the time to master them.

I mean, I get how this is an opinion someone can hold, but I don't get how they can hold this opinion but simultaneously enjoy Bayonetta

They should port over the entire library and slot those games in slow periods. I'd double dip on most of the Wii U games I owned.

Even
Devil's Third

I know some people don't want the Switch to get too many WiiU ports, but there are a solid handful of WiiU games that greatly deserve to be on a more successful platform, and among them is anything by Platinum.

So, yeah, I'll rebuy those games again on Switch. I would just hope to see some tweaks and extras here and there.

all i can say is, bring'm on, nintendo, because they'll sell me a switch sooner, & likely be the only versions of the games i'll ever play :) ...

Top Bottom