• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames opens official Japanese Twitter - EPIC SWITCH TEASING HYPETRAIN!

PlatinumGames keeps tweeting more teases about Switch ports! What are they doing?!

Results are only viewable after voting.
ylJOIKt.png

Kamiya pls.

Never played any of their games so it'd be great if they port them.

But isn't W101 based on touch control gestures? How would that work?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Who the fuck would fund W102? At least Bayonetta since release has acquired a following within the Nintendo fanbase resulting in her inclusion in Smash so i could se Nintendo doing it ut the w101 was a total failure

Never played any of their games so it'd be great if they port them.

But isn't W101 based on touch control gestures? How would that work?

It's based on creating symbols to form weapons (line = Sword, circle = fist, etc) it can be done via touch screen or by simply using the right stick.

Kamiya himself prefers the stick.

requiem02

Banned
Who the fuck would fund W102? At least Bayonetta since release has acquired a following within the Nintendo fanbase resulting in her inclusion in Smash so i could se Nintendo doing it ut the w101 was a total failure
Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2 knowing full well it wouldn't sell well. They're willing to spend money to diversify their console's lineup.

Niche titles are important to a console's library. Nintendo might think it's worse the potential loss to move more units

-shadow-

Who the fuck would fund W102?
The same company that still funds the Project Zero/Fatal Frame series despite it not even reaching 100.000 units. They want to diversify their line up, even if it means taking a hit on a project. They also build bridges with partners this way for future endeavours. See Koei Tecmo and the Warriors spin-offs.

I think W101 has franchise potential and is salvageable. There's an audience there and major merchandise/marketing potential with the various heroes. I believe!

I think W101 has franchise potential and is salvageable. There's an audience there and major merchandise/marketing potential with the various heroes. I believe!

I feel like now is the perfect time to leverage any sort of Platinum IP, considering its fanbase is reinvigorated with Nier and Bayonetta PC, combined with the Switch being a hot item that's selling out constantly so it'll have a larger potential base. Ports of two games, announce a newer game.

watershed

Banned

Definitely. Even the first game could be improved a lot with just a few gameplay tweaks. Kamiya himself seems super passionate about the game and that always helps. Hopefully this teased Switch port will sell well enough to lead to a sequel.

Nerrel

If Nintendo is going to fund niche series they should being with their own and give us another Sin and Punishment. :(

That's Treasure, not Nintendo. And I'm not sure how anything is ever going to match the Wii remote controls in S&P 2... I wouldn't really want to try using gyro in a game like that.

That's Treasure, not Nintendo. And I'm not sure how anything is ever going to match the Wii remote controls in S&P 2... I wouldn't really want to try using gyro in a game like that.

Technically Nintendo owns the right to Sin & Punishment, don't they?

Astral Dog

Yeah, even for Nintendo its rare to take a risk on something that burned so bad .i ecpect a port at most. Though imprived framerate and res will go a long way :)

deleted

You're out of your mind expecting T102.

I could see them going the originally planned/pitched route with that game.

Have the starring roles of W101 return and fill the rest with Nintendo characters, Smash Bros style but mostly just cameos.
Would be a lot easier to market.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah, even for Nintendo its rare to take a risk on something that burned so bad .i ecpect a port at most. Though imprived framerate and res will go a long way :)

It happened quite a few times in the Wii and Wii U days. Sin and Punishment 2 comes to mind, among others.

I'll triple dip on Bayo and buy copies of Wonderful 101 for everyone I know that has a Switch. It was an incredible game and has SO much potential as a franchise. It needs another chance.

Astral Dog

It happened quite a few times in the Wii and Wii U days. Sin and Punishment 2 comes to mind, among others.
Well based on decent sales from the VC and a very modest budget, im not saying Nintendo is conservative (fram from it) but they never repeated on most of these cases with the exception of Xenoblade Chronicles thanks in part to its critical reception and rpg status

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Kamiya is a treasure.

This only fuels the third party Direct theories, I really hope this doesn't lead to a lot of let down people.

There's a theory we'll get a third-party Direct? I'm not sure I see why people would anticipate that. Do you know the reasoning?

Hideki Kamiya's Direct is still the best one they've ever done. He was so pissed off at everyone bugging him about the release date on Twitter that he mentioned the release date like eight times in a 20-minute video. Between every segment, "The Wonderful 101 will release on September 15th" :p

Scoops

Banned
That last Kamiya tweet badically confirms some sort of Platinum port is being brought to Switch.

I would looooove a MadWorld remaster to be a part of it, but who am I kidding.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
If Nintendo is going to bring back TW101 they might as well bring back F-Zero and Waverace.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
There's a theory we'll get a third-party Direct? I'm not sure I see why people would anticipate that. Do you know the reasoning?

I think it's based on Reggie saying something to the effect of "we have more to announce" in an interview after E3. Iirc, the quote may have been a bit ambiguous as far as whether he meant 2017 titles or beyond.

If it's 2017 titles, I can't fathom what first party games will be squeezed in.

See I don't believe that if they keep using that draw symbols mechanic. For the mass audience I see such a mechanic aso being a turnoff. Also the cast of heroes having huge heads and tiny bodies also doesn't scream a huge fanbase.

Though all this teasing points to a port I don't see how that sells super-well all of a sudden even on a user base several times larger.

I still would buy any Amiibo though.

I wonder if they uploaded the W101 artwork in order to see our reactions and consider working on a port if people reacted positively.

I wonder if this could be the case. I can't think of a Nintendo title, port or not, being teased by an outside company on something-like Twitter.

I would think Nintendo would rather use that as a surprise for a Direct then diminishing it's surprise-factor with such an early tease.

Maybe Platinum wants Nintendo to see the reaction to the thought of the Wonderful 101 or a sequel game on Switch. Hence why the jackets say W101 and not W100 and the game image blurred out to prevent it from being directly connected to W101 instead of a new project.

Definitely. Even the first game could be improved a lot with just a few gameplay tweaks. Kamiya himself seems super passionate about the game and that always helps. Hopefully this teased Switch port will sell well enough to lead to a sequel.
Before any gameplay tweaks, shorter load times and a solid 60 fps need to be prioritized first. That alone would be worth a double-dip for me.

sanstesy

The best and most reasonable option would be to release TW101 digital-only on the eShop for like $20. The game would never be a success as a retail $50-$60 port but giving it a low price tag the game could get the exposure it otherwise wouldn't for being a cheap but huge game to buy for the Switch on the eShop. The problem with TW101 was always that it looks like a complete clash of styles that general people never could be sure about if they would like it or not. By lowering the price barrier considerably that problem would be solved to an extent and people will dip more easily. That's how games that don't look appealing but have word of mouth sell.

Top Bottom